BU's "educational history" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any insight on BU's question about educational history on the page that asks if you have skipped a year between high school and college or college and medical school? I can't tell if this question is optional or not, and if it is, I don't really know what they are asking for since I did not/am not skipping a year in either case and don't have anything strange to explain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Just check no and leave it blank. They don't expect you to say anything if you went straight through.

Any know what this means: "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us" ?

I was wondering the same thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Hkoser said:
Just check no and leave it blank. They don't expect you to say anything if you went straight through.

Any know what this means: "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us" ?

That's precisely what I was asking about in my original post. No idea!

Did you take a year or more off since graduating H.S.? If yes, explain.

You can imagine all kinds of scenarios-- illnesses, missionary service, financial difficulties, choosing not to go to college then having a change of heart later....

Sorry to hi-jack this thread...

How optional is the BU's optional essay?
Tufts, for instance, had an optional essay that asked me the reason for applying to Tufts. It was fairly obvious that this prompt is a "mandatory" essay.

---From the BU website---
Most applicants apply to many medical schools and we are aware that the cumulative work of the application process is substantial. Furthermore, we find that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. We have, therefore, decided to eliminate our request for a supplemental essay.

While we no longer require an essay, we find that some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish to use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, up to a total of 500 words, addressing any issue you feel is of importance, feel free to do so.

Please be assured that we offer this opportunity only for those applicants who wish to provide additional information and that it is entirely optional. For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

In regards to the taking a year off questions - this is truly only if it applies to you. I had a continuous college career straight from high school - so no explaining there; however, I've since graduated & am working - there's a need to explain what I'm doing, etc.

In regards to the "unusual aspects of your college career" question - they said this just means if there's anything really whack about your time in college (did you take a quarter off?, etc.) during college - I left it blank

In regards to the optional essay - I think it's truly optional and left it blank. It says right there "For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank." So unless you have done something amazing since submitting your amcas that you want them to know about or such, then leave it blank :)

Easy peasy!

swtiepie711 said:
In regards to the taking a year off questions - this is truly only if it applies to you. I had a continuous college career straight from high school - so no explaining there; however, I've since graduated & am working - there's a need to explain what I'm doing, etc.

In regards to the "unusual aspects of your college career" question - they said this just means if there's anything really whack about your time in college (did you take a quarter off?, etc.) during college - I left it blank

In regards to the optional essay - I think it's truly optional and left it blank. It says right there "For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank." So unless you have done something amazing since submitting your amcas that you want them to know about or such, then leave it blank :)

Easy peasy!

Well "most applicants" could mean everyone that won't be accepted. ;)

I actually thought that the reason to applying to Tufts essay was really optional unless you had some compelling reason like, my family went to Tufts, lives in Boston, blah, blah, blah, I don't think they wanted to hear something generic like, "Tufts has really great hospitals...."

The OP was referring to the educational timeline history question. If anything, that should be optional but I can't tell so I think I'll call and ask tomorrow. What else could they need to know about my education that's not on AMCAS?!

in4mant said:
Sorry to hi-jack this thread...

How optional is the BU's optional essay?
Tufts, for instance, had an optional essay that asked me the reason for applying to Tufts. It was fairly obvious that this prompt is a "mandatory" essay.

---From the BU website---
Most applicants apply to many medical schools and we are aware that the cumulative work of the application process is substantial. Furthermore, we find that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. We have, therefore, decided to eliminate our request for a supplemental essay.

While we no longer require an essay, we find that some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish to use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, up to a total of 500 words, addressing any issue you feel is of importance, feel free to do so.

Please be assured that we offer this opportunity only for those applicants who wish to provide additional information and that it is entirely optional. For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

TSK said:
I actually thought that the reason to applying to Tufts essay was really optional unless you had some compelling reason like, my family went to Tufts, lives in Boston, blah, blah, blah, I don't think they wanted to hear something generic like, "Tufts has really great hospitals...."

The OP was referring to the educational timeline history question. If anything, that should be optional but I can't tell so I think I'll call and ask tomorrow. What else could they need to know about my education that's not on AMCAS?!

I agree with you on Tufts, and I'd love to hear what you learn from the folks at BU. Keep us posted!

Last year, I completed the optional essay on professionalism, but I left the educational history section blank. I had a couple of things I thought might need explaining, like a lower than average GPA and a below full time credits semester. But I didn't think either of them warranted an explaination.

popbirch said:
Last year, I completed the optional essay on professionalism, but I left the educational history section blank. I had a couple of things I thought might need explaining, like a lower than average GPA and a below full time credits semester. But I didn't think either of them warranted an explaination.
i can write an essay on (pretty much) any subject as long as it's not explained in the amcas, right?

last year they asked something about professionalism, I think. But if there wasn't a prompt, then I think anything would do. Just like a 2nd personal statement, but I didn't put the same amount of effort into secondaries as I did on my PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn.. as a kid who attends BU for undergrad, i feel obligated to write something in the optional section.. like why i like BU etc. etc.. this is not as easy as i thought it would be.

Good morning all, I just spoke with a very nice lady in the BU admissions office and she confirmed that the narrative/timeline of your educational history is optional. :)

dimebag darrell said:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any insight on BU's question about educational history on the page that asks if you have skipped a year between high school and college or college and medical school? I can't tell if this question is optional or not, and if it is, I don't really know what they are asking for since I did not/am not skipping a year in either case and don't have anything strange to explain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

On the prerequisite grid, what is a preferred institution? Any non-community college, AP credit-granting high school, or distance learning school would be non-preferred, right?

floridakppr said:
On the prerequisite grid, what is a preferred institution? Any non-community college, AP credit-granting high school, or distance learning school would be non-preferred, right?

I'll learn to scroll down and read all information some day:

Preferred Institutions include 4-year undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate programs in accredited U.S. or Canadian schools

TSK said:
Good morning all, I just spoke with a very nice lady in the BU admissions office and she confirmed that the narrative/timeline of your educational history is optional. :)

Thanks TSK!

have most of you filled out the optional essay mentioned above

taylormade44 said:
i dont think i am

but did you include your english classes in the humanities section?

if u double list the english class, i would just mention that its doubled in the space below

No essay for me, unless you have something really pertinent to say, they probably think it's a pain in the ass to read an essay that they just said was most likely unnecessary.

Also, the grid is just for statistical purposes so don't worry about it too much! :luck:

in4mant said:
have most of you filled out the optional essay mentioned above

taylormade44 said:
i dont think i am

but did you include your english classes in the humanities section?
I did not required english or writing classes. I think they meant poetry, Shakespeare etc

floridakppr said:
I'll learn to scroll down and read all information some day:

Preferred Institutions include 4-year undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate programs in accredited U.S. or Canadian schools

yes but how is this different from the first column? if we took all our prereqs in the same place, do we just repeat the numbers?