Boston U Secondary: Prerequisite Grid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntfries

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you filling out the BU secondary, how did you fill out that prereq grid? First there's a column to indicate the "number of semesters" you've taken/intend to take for each prereq, then in the third column you have to indicate the "number of semesters in a preferred institution". what is the difference? i only went to one college, so i don't know?

Also, I went to a school on the quarter system. So if i took a year's worth of say, english, would that be two semesters? And if i took one quarter of genetics, would that equal one semester? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

burntfries said:
For those of you filling out the BU secondary, how did you fill out that prereq grid? First there's a column to indicate the "number of semesters" you've taken/intend to take for each prereq, then in the third column you have to indicate the "number of semesters in a preferred institution". what is the difference? i only went to one college, so i don't know?

Also, I went to a school on the quarter system. So if i took a year's worth of say, english, would that be two semesters? And if i took one quarter of genetics, would that equal one semester? :confused:

I entered the number of quarters I took of each class and in the box below it, told them I did that and my school was on quarters.

ah, ok. also, what did you do about that third column? i don't see how it's different from the first column. =\

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps if you had scrolled down to the botton of the page and read what the superscripts meant, you'd knw what a "preferred institution" was ;)

burntfries said:
ah, ok. also, what did you do about that third column? i don't see how it's different from the first column. =\

TSK said:
Perhaps if you had scrolled down to the botton of the page and read what the superscripts meant, you'd knw what a "preferred institution" was ;)

i know what it means! i'm just confused because i still dont see how that's different from the first column. i'm guessing if i took all my prereqs at the same college i'd just put the same number. but thanks for trying to be "helpful" :p

burntfries said:
i know what it means! i'm just confused because i still dont see how that's different from the first column. i'm guessing if i took all my prereqs at the same college i'd just put the same number. but thanks for trying to be "helpful" :p

I guess you could also have a question on whether or not you add up the lectures and labs in order to get the third column. Of course I don't think it makes a difference.

burntfries said:

pretend in a cRaZy scheme to be efficient they made one secondary for everyone to fill out and infact did not personalize it just for you. Ok now that you've got the image in your head... do you think maybe some people have infact taken classes at community colleges or other "non-preferred institutions" and would therefore need the other column? it's trippy i know.

Helpful is my middle name.

QUOTE=burntfries]i know what it means! i'm just confused because i still dont see how that's different from the first column. i'm guessing if i took all my prereqs at the same college i'd just put the same number. but thanks for trying to be "helpful" :p[/QUOTE]

LOL, exactly...really not that confusing ;)

Ironhead2000 said:
pretend in a cRaZy scheme to be efficient they made one secondary for everyone to fill out and infact did not personalize it just for you. Ok now that you've got the image in your head... do you think maybe some people have infact taken classes at community colleges or other "non-preferred institutions" and would therefore need the other column? it's trippy i know.

Sorry if this has already been clarified, but I cant find the answer. When filling out the prereg grid, does "number of semesters" mean number of semester hours or actual number of semesters.

So for instance if one semester I had three biology classes (3 credits each), would that count as 3 or 9 or just 1? Hopefully this makes sense and someone can clarify. Sorry for adding to the BU secondary madness!

bet22 said:
Sorry if this has already been clarified, but I cant find the answer. When filling out the prereg grid, does "number of semesters" mean number of semester hours or actual number of semesters.

So for instance if one semester I had three biology classes (3 credits each), would that count as 3 or 9 or just 1? Hopefully this makes sense and someone can clarify. Sorry for adding to the BU secondary madness!

Did all of you notice the part that says that section is only for statistical purposes and not for the application?

Although we should help out the school, if it's giving you this much grief when its not even part of the app, why cry about it??!?

bet22 said:

I called BU, and they said that for each class you take, you count a semester. For example, if you took 3 BIO classes in fall of 2002, you would count that as 3 semesters.

TwinkleToes said:
I called BU, and they said that for each class you take, you count a semester. For example, if you took 3 BIO classes in fall of 2002, you would count that as 3 semesters.

Thanks!

I called today and a lady told me to put number of semesters! So if you take 3 Bio classes in Fall of 2005, that's 1 semester of Bio. wtfbbq??

phammd said:
I called today and a lady told me to put number of semesters! So if you take 3 Bio classes in Fall of 2005, that's 1 semester of Bio. wtfbbq??

I dunno, I called early in the morning. maybe a few other people could call and get some kind of concensus. Too bad I mailed my secondary already.

this is really confusing.

For biology, do I list all of the Bio classes that I have taken or do I just list the two courses that are required. In other words, do I encorporate my molecular bio and genetics classes under bio, and then list them seperately under molecular bio and genetics?

the good thing is they give you space on the bottom to explain. I listed a bunch of bulleted points to make absolutely clear how i was counting all my courses. Do the best you can, then use the space to explain to them how you filled everything out.