Cedars Sinai program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Cedars Sinai psych? I have not met anyone or heard anything about this via word of mouth-only frieda-it looks like a super chill program-I am interested in clinical, not academic/research and definetly would love a cushier program but I still want a solid program-anyway-anyone have any info on it? cat attack

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th-year getting ready to apply, too. From what I've heard, it is a solid clinical program....

Their chairman was hired in the past 3-5 years, very biologically oriented, but he is by far the nicest chairman you will meet in real life. Their PD is very psychologically oriented, as evident during the interview. The one resident I knew from Cedars loves the program, and I think he is getting wonderful training. And sounds like moonlighting is excellent there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their chairman was hired in the past 3-5 years, very biologically oriented, but he is by far the nicest chairman you will meet in real life. Their PD is very psychologically oriented, as evident during the interview. The one resident I knew from Cedars loves the program, and I think he is getting wonderful training. And sounds like moonlighting is excellent there as well.

Cool thanks for the post!

does anyone know what population this program serves? I was told it is a private hospital - does that mean it serves a well-off population? Is there not much contact with underserved populations?

Has anyone heard anything about how intense this program and its hours are?

I am currently a second-year resident at CSMC and would say it is by no means a cush program. It is a private non-profit community hospital which serves a huge surrounding population made up of every cultural and socioeconomic group. I initially thought that CSMC (being so close to Beverly Hills) would only serve mostly upper-class citizens, but this is definitely not the case and I think it is one of our greatest strengths that we see everything from homeless chronicly psychotic patients to VIP/celebrity. The residents here work hard, but all of us also maintain active social lives and love what we do. We currently have 5 residents per year and are moving to 4 PGY1s and 6 PGY2s to accomidate a nightfloat system due to ACGME work hour changes. This means there is usually only one resident per inpatient team or covering a service (which could get busy) but you also work directly with attendings and have tons of autonomy. On average I work 8am-5pm and took 50 calls my first year and 35 calls this year. However, this is changing with a nightfloat system so PGY1s will never take an overnight call and PGY2s will have 2 months of nightfloat spread out through the year.

Please feel free to PM me if you have further questions...I can also give you my email if you want to know more about our program.