NYCOM acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone else get one today?? woo hoo it's my first!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet! You must have been on the first day then? I just interviewed yesterday. How did you find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Nycom,

I love you but you do not return my affections. If you are reading SDN please respond with an interview invite asap!

Signed,

Lonely in New York

PS: Congrats Littlephilly!

Dear Nycom,

I love you but you do not return my affections. If you are reading SDN please respond with an interview invite asap!

Signed,

Lonely in New York

PS: Congrats Littlephilly!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :love: NYCOM:love: Can I be included in that?!

i interviewed on the 9th of november, got received acceptance today regular mail.

i interviewed on the 9th of november, got received acceptance today regular mail.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Do you know how often the adcom meets? I am going on 11/30 and I was wondering how long it would take to hear back from them.

Congrats!! May I ask your stats?
3.7, 31, NY resident

i don't know anything about their adcom meetings, but the interview was pretty quick and super laid back. everyone there was really nice, the students were cool and actually had lives outside of school. i liked it :)

Congrats on your NYCOM acceptance! I interviewed there on the 14th and I hope to hear as quick as u did! That's awesome! My stats 28P, 3.8! Good luck to all!

3.7, 31, NY resident

i don't know anything about their adcom meetings, but the interview was pretty quick and super laid back. everyone there was really nice, the students were cool and actually had lives outside of school. i liked it :)

Congratulations again, and may I ask, is that you in your photo?;)

3.7, 31, NY resident

wow that's great. Did you have ECs, research, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am crossing my fingers with 25 and 3.9.

hopefully i get in. :luck:

Congrats guys!

Consider the DPC (problem based learning) program. I love it, PM me w questions

sorry that's not me in the photo (i'm a male lol)... i do have a fair amount of research experience, however my clinical ECs are few and far between. i wish all of you the best of luck! ps- their interview was very informal and friendly.

CONGRATS!! I got my acceptance yesterday too!

congrats!! can i ask a lame question, did you get a big envelope or little envelope? i'm still waiting...so nervous!!

My interview is coming up, hopefully I can get results just as quick :)

I just got my big envelope with the acceptance. I interviewed 11/8.

woohoo!! got my big envelope today!! soooo happy :D :D

good luck to everyone who's got interviews coming up!!

yayyy i got my letter today too!!. i'm def going to nycom. see ya class of 2011 :thumbup:

Thanks! Good Luck on your interview! It's really lay back. My interview with the DO only lasted for like 10 minutes, if not less.

Thank you! My interview at personal interview at DCOM was about that long too. I think it must be true that they already know whether or not they are going to accept you before you go to your interview. Congratulations to everyone else with an acceptance!

Congrats guys!

Consider the DPC (problem based learning) program. I love it, PM me w questions

Dont recommend this so openly. MANY students in DPC dont like it, and you shouldnt pressure ppl into it.

Consider this: you can only switch to the regular, lecture based, in the beginning. from then on you are stuck for 2 years. There is much less guidance and its still a new program. Many ppl IN dpc are complaining about it so tread lightly.

Dont recommend this so openly. MANY students in DPC dont like it, and you shouldnt pressure ppl into it.

Consider this: you can only switch to the regular, lecture based, in the beginning. from then on you are stuck for 2 years. There is much less guidance and its still a new program. Many ppl IN dpc are complaining about it so tread lightly.

About the DPC program...If accepted into the DPC program, you have to choose either the DPC OR the Lecture base? You can't have both? or is the DPC an additional program you take along side your lecture base curriculum?

when you're accepted you're automatically enrolled in the traditional lecture based program. you have to apply for the independent one (sorry I forgot the name of it). there are only about 30 - 40 students in each year, i heard.

you have about the first two weeks to decide whether or not it's for you. if it's not, you can switch back to the lecture based. if you can't decide within that period, then you're stuck for the rest of your days.. puahah :smuggrin:

hope i helped clear things up. that's what i heard when i went in for the interview.

when you're accepted you're automatically enrolled in the traditional lecture based program. you have to apply for the independent one (sorry I forgot the name of it). there are only about 30 - 40 students in each year, i heard.

you have about the first two weeks to decide whether or not it's for you. if it's not, you can switch back to the lecture based. if you can't decide within that period, then you're stuck for the rest of your days.. puahah :smuggrin:

hope i helped clear things up. that's what i heard when i went in for the interview.

Thats correct, but i think you have about a month or so to switch back to lecture based. The DPS is a brand new program, only a few years old, so consider that it doesnt have a reliable track record, as lecture does.
With something as important as med school, thats important.

However, DPC does seem more interesting, you go by cases and learn EVERYHTING about each case.

Be VERY carefull though, alot of students dont like the DPC, so speak to ppl IN it, i am not, but have spoken to around 5, and only 1 of them like it. Again it MAY be good but put ALOT of thought into it.

Congrats to all accepted.

If you don't mind, could those accepted please post their stats; it would be greatly appreciated.

heard from lecom and wvsom in less than a week. What is NYCOM taking so long for sheesh, haha (i hope its not a bad sign :()

Congrats to all accepted.

If you don't mind, could those accepted please post their stats; it would be greatly appreciated.

27P, 3.48 overall, 3.31 BCPM

Anyone who interviewed on the 14th or 16th hear anything yet? I interviewed on the 14th and really like the school...keeping my fingers crossed.
:scared: :confused:

Anyone who interviewed on the 14th or 16th hear anything yet? I interviewed on the 14th and really like the school...keeping my fingers crossed.
i interviewed on the 14th as well and i have yet to hear anything...good luck

I interviewed on the 16 and haven't heard anything yet. But you gotta figure, this was a short week because of Thanksgiving, so I wasn't expecting as speedy a response as the people from the first week got.

3.7, 31, NY resident

uh, who are these mythical students with "lives?" if i had to guess, i think the administration paid them to lie to you.

but congrats if it makes you happy...

uh, who are these mythical students with "lives?" if i had to guess, i think the administration paid them to lie to you.

:laugh: :laugh: but at least those r those few rare after exam parties :)

If your goal is to honor every course you will not have a life at any school. If your goal is to learn the material and pass then there really is no reason to not have a life at NYCOM since exams are once every 4-7 weeks.The neighborhood pizza guy just asked me if I was unemployed since he sees me walking all over the neighborhood with/without my family. :laugh:

I even scored a Wii on launch day too. Ok maybe I don't have a life since me and my son are gamers.

If your goal is to honor every course you will not have a life at any school. If your goal is to learn the material and pass then there really is no reason to not have a life at NYCOM since exams are once every 4-7 weeks.The neighborhood pizza guy just asked me if I was unemployed since he keeps seeing me walking all over the neighborhood with/without my family. :laugh:

I even scored a Wii on launch day too. Ok maybe I don't have a life since me and my son are gamers.

You must be one of those sane lecture based kids. DPC is a minute by minute struggle to live on 4 hours sleep just to pass, and then passing is not even guaranteed.

Gaming. I miss playing. Well, back to studying.

nycom stud--

what's the deal with DPC? when i was on the tour, i talked to one of the students about it, but since he wasn't in it, he couldn't give me too many details.

why's it so bad? any reason to go for it vs. not?

PM if you don't want to post...i was originally very interested in it..now, not so sure!

nycom stud--

what's the deal with DPC? when i was on the tour, i talked to one of the students about it, but since he wasn't in it, he couldn't give me too many details.

PM if you don't want to post...i was originally very interested in it..now, not so sure!
If in doubt, apply for DPC. You have 2 weeks or so to drop out of DPC and switch to lecture based if you don't like it. It is much harder to go the reverse direction, aka Lecture -> DPC once school starts. My roommate is in DPC, and he loves it. If you're looking for the ultimate independent learning experience, it is not DPC :eek:; it is being lecture based, but never going to class and instead streaming. That's about as independent as you can get. I haven't gone to class since 3rd week of school, and have passed both tests so far.

If you're looking for the ultimate independent learning experience, it is not DPC :eek:; it is being lecture based, but never going to class and instead streaming. That's about as independent as you can get. I haven't gone to class since 3rd week of school, and have passed both tests so far.

I agree with Plasticman on this one.

Sorry nycomstud I thought you were in the lecture based program. Good luck.

nycom stud--

No, it's cool, I'll post. I think I'm anonymous enough, and can keep it that way, so that any admins if they're reading won't know who this is. I hope.

First, it's only "nycom2010stud" because "nycom2010student" was too long. I have no great ego trip, fyi.

To be fair, some people love DPC. Some people love NYCOM. And I'm not saying they're wrong, just that I don't agree at all with either of those conclusions. What I write is clearly only one person's opinion and should be taken and judged and weighed with many others. I am not a sole definitive source.

But to be blunt, I think DPC sucks in a lot of ways. I'm really unhappy, and I'm stuck in it now. It's not independent at all...what you do when is determined by other students, who are as if not more clueless than you are about all this. The scheduling is hell. The lecture people had tests before Thanksgiving, and start the next module Monday. They had this holiday off, and they don't have tests again until January. We had two of the three tests they had and part of the third one they had earlier this week, we have another one this coming Thursday, and then a huge scary one on the 12th of December, then some of the same ones they have in January. We are tested to death. And there are no breaks. I've spent all except a few hours on actual Thanksgiving studying this weekend. I'm exhausted, I feel like I have no direction and could be learning totally wrong things, and part of the PBL methodology is to not tell us if we're barking up wrong trees. There are arguments for this, some of which I can agree with, but mostly it just plain sucks. The only good thing that I can see is that we get earlier patient contact starting in January.

NYCOM: some prof's are really great. That's one thing I think that it really has going for it. There are some that really care, are very smart and interested and interesting, and are supportive in the learning process. NYCOMEC is great for rotation placement. But, the administration is awful, unresponsive, disorganized, etc. etc.

That's all I can write for now. PM me if you want more info, but it may take me a bit to get back to you. Have to go learn about nerve signal transduction now.

(1) I wasn't pressuring anyone into going into DPC. I suggested to consider it.

(2) I think it's vague to say that many people in DPC are complaining about it. How many people and what are they complaining about? How many people in the lecture based are complaining, and what are they complaining about?

(2) I'm in DPC and I love it. Yeah it's hard, but I feel like I get a real understanding for things by delving deep into topics and understanding their context rather than memorizing. Also, you couldn't pay me to sit in lecture or listen to someone talk about what they think is important. I also feel as though DPC is preparing me better for boards than if I was in lecture (that may not be the case for others); I know that the inflammatory process, coagulation cascade, tissue necrosis, etc all that crap in Robbins and Guyton will be on there, and that's what we're spending time on now.

Just to give you another viewpoint, I think it's as independent as it gets - it's you and your textbook, and thats it - no handholding. It's your job, though, to be vocal and proactive - for instance, I bought all the BRS books to make sure I'm not wasting time barking up trees or looking into things too much. And when you think the group is heading the wrong way, it's your job to speak up.

The scheduling does suck and the administration is abysmal. Faculty are good in my opinion.

In the end, to each his/her own. For myself, I think DPC will prepare me better for Step 1 by allowing me to focus on the basic sciences. I think it will concurrently prepare me for rotations/auditions with the early clinical exposure. I also think I'm wasting time on SDN and need to get my a** into the gym, peace.

Just thought I'd add something to be fair:

There is a tremendous tradeoff between lecture based and DPC in terms of quantity and depth, naturally. You have to go with what you're comfortable with.

On a side note, did u guys write the secondary by hand?