University of Wisconsin 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So that there are threads for all of the schools I'm considering...who's planning to be in Madison this fall??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna be goin to UW next year!! Just withdrew all of my other acceptances and applications today!

Can I ask when approximately you interviewed and when you got your decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I've been waiting for a thread to start, and actually signed in today to start one myself. Guess that won't be needed. I'll be going to UW next year, I mean, where else!! :thumbup:

If you come accross this thread, and you've been accepted to UW, make sure to post somethin, hopefully we can create a small circle of friends before school even starts!

I was wondering if anybody here interviewed on Sept 22nd, maybe we'd recognize one another...

For the Doctora that asked when interviewd/accepted... I was interviewed 9/22 and the letter is dated 10/26.

Since this is my first pick I'm not really worried about the other 10 schools which i haven't even heard back from (none are top names, just to let you know). I guess what I am trying to say, is for those of you who haven't gotten accepted anywhere, or haven't had many interviews, it is just because schools are slow sometimes. Just keep your spirits up. Best of luck to all!!

I interviewed on Nov. 27 and the acceptance letter was dated Dec. 21. I had written a letter of intent, though, saying that I would withdraw all of my other applications (and acceptances) if I were accepted.

In terms of advice, I'd say just be yourself. REALLY, just relax and have a nice, easy-going conversation with your interviewer. I heard that the interview is only worth another letter of recommendation (of which you already have 3, anyways). I guess they use some sort of point system based on grades, mcat, extracurriculars, leadership, and LORs. So I'd say that there's really nothing to fret about. Anyways, I'm sure you'll do wonderful!

WiscDoc: I think you're right. It'd be cool to get to know a few people before heading out there in the summer. We should all start getting to know everyone cuz we're all in it together!

Chaumiester,

About the interview at UW, just relax it is very low stress. Just be yourself. Pay attention, and remain interested throughout the day. Try to comment and or ask questions when appropriate. Check out the interview Q's on SDN, they are very helpful. I spent the night a med student's place (the night before), and he was really cool, and this helped reduce the stress.

If this makes you feel anybetter, in 2006, Madison accepted about 180 Wisconsin Resident out of a total of 400 some applicant which they interviewed (I got these stats form the MSAR and other stats given to us during the interview day, about120-130 actually end up going; others go elsewehre). So, if you are from Wisconsin, the chances you will be accepted (if you are interviewed) is a little under 50%, which is a really high stat (most schools out of state they interview 10% of applicants and accept 10% of the students they interview). A Madison doctor still in his residency told me that if you get an interview, most likely you're in (unless I blew it, he said). Good luck.

Hey,
So I am a Wisconsin resident but my stats are absolutely horrendous. somehow i got an interview for mid-feb. i guess it takes about 3 weeks for them to complete a decision? i'm obviously gonna look at all the interview feedback here on SDN but do you think LOI is the best bet post-interview? This is my only interview I have and I would absolutely love to matriculate at UW next year. I'm also gonna talk to the diversity office during my interview weekend. Thanks in advance for all your info.

Premedsoldja,

Well, if they invited you for an interview, then you must have done something right. That is, they must like something(s) in your application. If they weren't gonna take you, they would have never interviewed you!! So, keep your spirirts up. I think it would be good if you can show your interviewer, and anyone else you speak to during the interview day, how committed you are to practicing in Wisconsin, as that is their mission (to serve Wisconsin as a whole). Make it very clear that it is your first choice, but don't sound desperate. Be energitic during your interview, and remain positive. From now until the interviwe day, make sure you think and speak highly of yourself (to your own self...don't want you annoying your fiends...lol). Keep reminding yourself of your great qualities. If you don't think highly of yourself, no one else will. Practice interviwe questions on sdn, as many as you can (do it out loud so you can hear your answers. Have a mock interview. Be ready to answer any questions relating to a bad grade or section on the MCAT. STAY AWAY from saying something like "I had a bad teacher"...they wanna know that you can adapt to different teaching styles, and possibly teach your self if you do get a crapy teacher. Make sure you don't seem like you are complaining and making up excuses, try to turn these questions around, answer them quick and add positive comments (such as, my experience during this rough semester helped me mature or something like that). If you need more advice (if you found this helpful offcourse), feel free to send me a private message. Best of luck.:thumbup:

leahmaria,

So which other schools are you considering? where have you been accepted? just curious. I'm sure you know this, but Madison has been ranked in research and in primary care (few other institutions are ranked in both). Plus, if you are from WI, it will be a heck of a whole lot cheaper!!

Hey all,

I was an out-of-state applicant, so I was particularly honored to be accepted at Wisconsin. I have to say my interview there was probably the best out of all my interviews. I really, really liked the man who interviewed me. I've grown up knowing and loving both Madison and UW medical school.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend of 6 years (another out-of-stater) was not as fortunate as me. We were looking forward to possibly going to med school in Madison together, but it was not to be. The odds are just too hard to overcome sometimes if you don't have any Wisconsin ties.

Anyway, because of that I think I likely won't be classmates with any of you. I just wanted to wish you luck and say you're going to be a part of a GREAT program.

cubbie,

Thanks for the wishes... Good luck to you and your boyfriend.

Members don't see this ad :)
leahmaria,

So which other schools are you considering? where have you been accepted? just curious. I'm sure you know this, but Madison has been ranked in research and in primary care (few other institutions are ranked in both). Plus, if you are from WI, it will be a heck of a whole lot cheaper!!

Hi there!

I am considering Loyola, MCW and UW. I am from the Milwaukee area, so location counts for something (my brother, who i'm very close to, is doing his undergrad at Madison, and most likely med school too...he's applying next year, is a great applicant, and would love to stay in Madtown.) I do feel that Madison offers more opportunities than any other school. Madison would certainly be cheapest. Some of my gripes include the every-other disecion thing, and no parking for students (am i right about that? i wouldn't want to be biking to class in weather like this!!) Madison has a school of global health which sounds awesome, and i could do my mph there.

I am completing my undergrad at Valparaiso, a Lutheran school in Indiana, and I love it. To me, Loyola is the most logical continuation of my education..I would choose it for the same reasons that I chose my undergrad. I want to be in the mission field after my residency, and I think that Loyola would best prepare me for that.

MCW is a great place too...I've got nothing to say against it. It has everything I'm looking for and it is close to home (which could either be a distraction or a support...probably a bit of both).

I am certainly going to wait for financial aid packages to make my final decision, and I would like to go back and visit all three before I decide. What are some negatives and positives of UW for you?

Leah

Hi there!

I am considering Loyola, MCW and UW. I am from the Milwaukee area, so location counts for something (my brother, who i'm very close to, is doing his undergrad at Madison, and most likely med school too...he's applying next year, is a great applicant, and would love to stay in Madtown.) I do feel that Madison offers more opportunities than any other school. Madison would certainly be cheapest. Some of my gripes include the every-other disecion thing, and no parking for students (am i right about that? i wouldn't want to be biking to class in weather like this!!) Madison has a school of global health which sounds awesome, and i could do my mph there.

I am completing my undergrad at Valparaiso, a Lutheran school in Indiana, and I love it. To me, Loyola is the most logical continuation of my education..I would choose it for the same reasons that I chose my undergrad. I want to be in the mission field after my residency, and I think that Loyola would best prepare me for that.

MCW is a great place too...I've got nothing to say against it. It has everything I'm looking for and it is close to home (which could either be a distraction or a support...probably a bit of both).

I am certainly going to wait for financial aid packages to make my final decision, and I would like to go back and visit all three before I decide. What are some negatives and positives of UW for you?

Leah

What's the every other decision thing?

One thing -- I think one of my student interviewers mentioned that they will be letting their med students do their MPH at Wisconsin for free. She didn't seem 100% certain about that, but if that's true, that may be one more plus for you for UW ...

IMHO -- not anything against Loyola or MCW, but I think cheaper + better opportunities at UW (should) = clincher for you ...

What's the every other decision thing?

One thing -- I think one of my student interviewers mentioned that they will be letting their med students do their MPH at Wisconsin for free. She didn't seem 100% certain about that, but if that's true, that may be one more plus for you for UW ...

IMHO -- not anything against Loyola or MCW, but I think cheaper + better opportunities at UW (should) = clincher for you ...

oops...every other disection

And I think that there is something to be said for gut feeling, and where I think I'll be the happiest and most successful. I think that at Loyola I would be with more like-minded classmates when it comes to medical missions. I feel like the students who go to Madison are more likely to want to go into research, or pursue prestige or wealth more than be a part of the solution of maldistribution of doctors in the world. I want to start forming that community around myself and learn among people who are asking the role of doctors in the church in light of the need for them in the poorer parts of the world.

Weighing that against cheaper and more opportunities is a tough thing to do. There are reasons that I chose not to go to Madison for undergrad, and some of those still apply when I think about my med school decision. I know that medical school has smaller class sizes than undergrad, so I can't hold that against them, but it's a hard choice. I agree with whatever SDNer said that in choosing a school where you'll be happiest, you'll be setting yourself up for the most success.

MCW's medical campus is certainly a draw, too...I am interested in Ophthalmology, and having an eye center there is great....hopefully I'll be more sorted through all of this by May!! Thanks for adding to the discussion and making me think through things!

For those of you lucky enough to be accepted. Congratulations.
I am interviewing there on Feb. 2 and I have heard from some people, perhaps trying to burst my bubble, that the class is very full and it is pretty much interview for waitlist spots at this time. Is this true? Luckily I am a resident of wiscosnin and have competitive numbers and beyond competitive experiences, however, with rolling admissions I feel as though I may be, SOL. Any suggestions for the interview. I can imagine the questions they are going to ask but is there anything you wished you had known more about going to the interview/tour. And don't forget, Ian's Pizza or Brats after with a frosty mug of beer is the perfect capstone to an interview day! Or any day for that matter!

For those of you lucky enough to be accepted. Congratulations.
I am interviewing there on Feb. 2 and I have heard from some people, perhaps trying to burst my bubble, that the class is very full and it is pretty much interview for waitlist spots at this time. Is this true? Luckily I am a resident of wiscosnin and have competitive numbers and beyond competitive experiences, however, with rolling admissions I feel as though I may be, SOL. Any suggestions for the interview. I can imagine the questions they are going to ask but is there anything you wished you had known more about going to the interview/tour. And don't forget, Ian's Pizza or Brats after with a frosty mug of beer is the perfect capstone to an interview day! Or any day for that matter!

I was told that the interview doesn't count for much...I was basically told that at the interview. I think I've posted previously about how they decide on applicants, but here it goes again:

They give your file, inlcluding the write up from your interviewer (not a member of the admissions committee) to 5 members of the admissions committee. When the admission committee gathers and your name comes up, the five people are asked about their level of enthusiasm for you. The most enthusiastic is asked to present your file to the committee. Then the least enthusiastic gives their hesitations, with the other three chiming in afterwards. Then the whole committee votes on their enthusiasm for you (I guess the most enthusiastic response being--let's send them out an acceptance today, and the least enthusiastic ending up in a rejection letter). I hope this helps you see the process a little more clearly. It sounded nerve racking to me...I wish that I could have been a fly on the wall listening to all they had to say!

I don't know anything about the current state of UW's class of 2011--filled or not, but I imagine that a lot of people (like me) are waiting a bit to make a decision and the waitlist would move eventually.

Good luck at your interview! Enjoy it!

i started a thread about housing for fall '07. anyone interested in finding a roommate?

i started a thread about housing for fall '07. anyone interested in finding a roommate?

I wish you started this sooner!! I already signed a lease for next year... It's a really tiny studio on University Ave (like a 10 min walk)....

On another note, this thread is dying....WHERE IS THE UW CLASS OF 2011?! :confused:

I'm sure madison has accepted more than just 3 or 4 students!!

wiscdoc,
sorry, man! but i guess it might not be a bad idea to kinda just do your own thing for the first year, kinda get a feel for what's goin on before making a committment to live with someone you don't even know, you know what i mean? anyways, you're totally right: THIS THREAD IS DYING!!! where have all the badgers gone???

so no one's talking about the four emails today...i better go check out this website, maybe there is a forum there...

so no one's talking about the four emails today...i better go check out this website, maybe there is a forum there...

Yeah I got the four emails.I jus got a chance to get on SDN. I haven't even read them all (just skimmed them). I am excited though! I'm sure all that paper work will be fun. Plus, what could be more exciting than borrowing 200 grand!! ha ha.

Just saying hello to my classmates, UWisc '11. I've started stressing about housing too. Looking for something on the West side or Middleton within a short bus ride. Before I know it it will be time to move!

Yea, I was stressing out over that too for a while... I looked at the medical students' website, and it had links for housing. I signed a lease with Gold Leaf development (Casa Blanka). The studio I got is a 10 min walk, and it is right on the bus line. Good luck.

HH

I just wanted to say welcome to the UW class of 2011, Let me know if any of you have questions about med school at UW.

He is anybody planning to take anatomy over the summer? It looks like I will be. I can't wait to start med school, so why not start early and make the fall semester easier!! Thoughts are appreciated.

Just thought I'd post something to bring this thread out on the front page....maybe some new badgers are looking for it!!

Hey guys--I am hoping to join you all at the UW! I am in the top 25% of the waitlist--anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist/accept from it in past years?

In the interview packet you got, there should be a sheet summarizing the stats. I think they accept about 150 WI residents, and about 125 actually come (that is, they accept about 25 kids that go else where). I don't know where that puts you. Best of luck, and I hope you join us!

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not U Wisc has a Second Look .

I inquired a few weeks ago about a second look. I was told that I could revisit at anytime and they would accomodate, yet there is nothing formal scheduled.

Hey guys,

I thought I would drop you a line to meet everyone. I just received confirmation that I was accepted to UW-Madison yesterday. I'm considering the WARM program, and I was curious if any of you had thoughts on it. Also, does anyone have information on the MPH degree that the SMPH offers (i.e. credits, cost to med students, etc.). Lastly, is anyone taking anatomy in the summer? Thanks!

Hey everyone,

It's nice to hear from so many people who are considering the University of Wisconsin next year. I've noticed that a couple of people on this thread have mentioned that they are possibly taking anatomy over the summer. Does anyone know how I could learn more about this class or should I just call the school for more info.

Thanks

Hey all,

I'm almost for sure taking anatomy over the summer. I've never had anatomy before, and I think it'll be good to do it without having other classes to worry about. I called the school and they gave me the prof's number. I talk to the professor, and she was very nice about giving info. It's basically an 8 week course (5/30-7/20). You have class and lab 5 days a week (8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.).

On another note, I found an SDNer from UW-SMPH, and he gave me the following info in an email (which are answers to some Q's that I had):

"sorry about the delay in responding, I just got caught up with some school stuff over the past few days. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:

1. I took summer anatomy here at UW and I thought it was great. Your tank group (about 4 of you) will get to do every dissection in the summer. If you take it in the fall, you will only do every other dissection. The dissections that you don't do will be taught to you by the other group. In the summer you will also be doing dissections with a PA class. They are a great group of people who you will see around the HSLC all the time. Anatomy in the summer is intense, but don't let this scare you! Just be ready to show up and work hard. The anatomy profs at UW are excellent and want you to know this material very well, they go out of their way to make this an enjoyable experience. The pace you go at in the summer will more than prepare you for the pace of medical school.

2. We had 18 med students take the course last summer. This number varies form year to year. In addition to the 18 med students, we had about 25 PA students dissecting with us.

3. Looks bad to who? It is the EXACT same material taught in the fall, only at a much faster pace. Residency directors are not going to care if you took it in the summer or the fall. This is a non-issue that you should not worry about.

4. Should you choose to take anatomy in the summer, the fall semester will be the easiest semester of med school EVER for you. Your fall courses would be: Histology, Biochem, PDS I, and possibly an anatomic radiology course. Taking anatomy in the summer was one of the best choices I ever made.

5. Two of my "tankmates" had never taken anatomy before. They both did extremely well in the course. I would say that it helps to have some understanding of anatomic terms ie. medial/lateral, proximal/distal etc. However, this is not essential they will teach you everything that you need to know.

6. If you are eager to start med school, I would highly recommend it to you. There were times when we thought it was tough, but looking back on it every single one of us was glad we took summer gross. You will thank yourself for doing so in the fall. However, if you want to relax the summer before, then that is perfectly fine to.

7. Perhaps you can find a summer sublease around madison. One of my tankmates did that and moved to her permanent home in the fall. Check out the UW med student website for some leads on a summer sublease.

8. Dr. Krabbenhoft will be sending you an email on summer anatomy in the early spring. She is one of the course directors for anatomy."

Also ....

"You will not be charged extra for taking anatomy in the summer. In fact, they do not even charge you the tuition for the summer. You just pay tuition normally as if you had taken anatomy in the fall. You will also be able to get finacial aid for the summer. The instructors are exactly the same as you would have in the fall, they will be: Anatomy: Dr. Krabbenhoft & Dr. Schultz, Embryology: Dr. Bersu. There are also other instructors that come in to teach some of the specialized anatomy systems like the eye, ear etc. Last summer the class ran from May 29th to July 21st (that's what makes it an intense pace). You will have some time to spare at the end, since med school does not start until mid August."

Hope this helps!!

Thanks a lot for all of the info. :)

Thanks a lot for all of the info. :)

Just wanted to post something so this gets the front page! Any new badgers out there? How about that MSU game? Prediction: Badgers in Final Four this year.

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd finally post something on here to say hello. I'm OOS, interviewed 10/27, accepted 11/20. Wisconsin is my #1 OOS choice. Hopefully I'll find out soon about my instate schools so that I can be done with this cycle.

Aside from those of you who are taking anatomy over the summer, when does everyone else plan on moving to Madison? I can't believe we have less than 6 months till we start med school!

alright wisconsinite acceptees - what kind of envelope did your letter come in?

A small one. Don't let it scare you. :luck:

i just called and my letter should come today. i'm so nervous....

hey sotired---did you hear any news?

hey sotired---did you hear any news?

no! i thought it would for sure come saturday but alas, my parents told me there was nothing in the mail. i'm guessing today is the day...

leahmaria, i've also seen your mdapps and post on the loyola thread. i'll hear back from loyola next week (also nervous). i loved it there!! where do you think you'll go between wisc, loyola, and mcw? it's nice to hear perspectives from someone else :)

no! i thought it would for sure come saturday but alas, my parents told me there was nothing in the mail. i'm guessing today is the day...

leahmaria, i've also seen your mdapps and post on the loyola thread. i'll hear back from loyola next week (also nervous). i loved it there!! where do you think you'll go between wisc, loyola, and mcw? it's nice to hear perspectives from someone else :)

Hey there,

I am pretty sure that I'll be at Loyola in the fall--I really loved it there and it seemed like the best "fit". Good luck with your waiting! I hope that you get good news soon from both schools! I've posted a lot about what I think that the postives and negatives are of going to madison...which school do you prefer?

Leah

Does anyone know when financial aid packets will be ready or has anybody received one yet?

Does anyone know when financial aid packets will be ready or has anybody received one yet?

According to some of the information that's posted online, we should start receiving stuff around late April / early May.

Anybody had this year's or a recent match list for Wisco? I haven't been able to find one....

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd finally post something on here to say hello. I'm OOS, interviewed 10/27, accepted 11/20. Wisconsin is my #1 OOS choice. Hopefully I'll find out soon about my instate schools so that I can be done with this cycle.

Aside from those of you who are taking anatomy over the summer, when does everyone else plan on moving to Madison? I can't believe we have less than 6 months till we start med school!

hey winner, i'm in the same situation you are. how did you reply to your acceptance offer? accept or what did you do? everything is sorta in limbo right now.

hey winner, i'm in the same situation you are. how did you reply to your acceptance offer? accept or what did you do? everything is sorta in limbo right now.

I accepted Wisconsin once I was notified. I'm planning on holding all my acceptances until I get financial aid packages from each school. Once I get the fin aid packages, then I'll make my decision and withdraw by May 15 so I can get all my deposits back.

As of right now, I was waitlisted at my in-state school, so it's looking more and more like I'll be coming to Wisconsin this August. GO BADGERS!

btw, chaumiester, where are you from?