WashU interview day subtly hinting at acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashU interview day/decision outcome

• Two interviews- Acceptance

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Two interviews- Rejection

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • One interview- Acceptance

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • One interview- Rejection

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Two interview- Waiting to hear

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • One interview- Waiting to hear

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters

Darkshooter326

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was just thinking about my WashU interview day, contemplating a reason why some people had two interviews while others only had one. I was wondering whether it truly was random, or whether either the two-interview or one-interview people had a greater likelihood of acceptance. So if you interviewed at WashU, whether it be this year or years past, let us know what happened with your decision.

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard all kinds of things about the 2 interview deal : (1) one interview is for scholarships that you don't apply for (2) it's totally random process to see which is better to get to know applicants: one or two interviews (3) one of the interviewers is new so they are trying to give the interviewee a fair chance and see if the new person is good at interviewing by comparing his feedback w/ a seasoned interviewer (4) wanna get two opinions on a candidate b/c on paper the applicant may be below the avg stats or PS might have some odd flag statement or something
I'd love to see how this ends up tho

Wait, how did someone get rejected. I thought they didn't do that until April.

Members don't see this ad :)
The poll applies to past years

(3) one of the interviewers is new so they are trying to give the interviewee a fair chance and see if the new person is good at interviewing by comparing his feedback w/ a seasoned interviewer

I'm very sure that's what it is. Only the 1st interview (the long one) really matters. The 2nd one only matters if there's a huge divergence of opinion between the two interviewers.

I believe omegaxx is correct, for the most part. Whether you get one or two interviews is supposedly completely random.

At my interview, we were also told that some of the people with second interviews had blind interviews. These were shorter and didn't count for much (if anything), and people were randomly selected to get the second interview because they wanted to test out a different format for future application cycles.

Wow love your sig... JHU beat the crap out of me. But not you, from the looks of your Mdapp profile, which makes me wonder why you have that sig...

Well, so far it seems that there may not be any significant difference regarding interview number, that's reassuring I guess.

guess we'll have new data to add tomorrow b/c according to washu on 12/18 they are making some calls tomorrow or the day after for admissions. fingers crossed.good luck to all.

They told us they were assigned at random to "standardize" their process. The second interview, if you get it, should be a blind one that lasts less than twenty minutes. My first interview was with an elderly doctor who had obviously been at this for a long time. My second was with a dean of some sorts, and we spent most of the time discussing BBQ. :)confused:) I ended up getting accepted in December though...

I've heard the same: that it's the long, non-blind interview that counts more. Odd thing is that I had 2 interviews: they were both non-blind, long (45min), and neither of them was new to the interview process. Any ideas whats going on here?

i was in the same boat as mizilian. my second interviewer was the associate dean of admissions. the first one was a long time member of the committee. i was very confused.

Stop being so paranoid. The dean of admissions addresses this issue right on interview day. "Straight from the horse's mouth" he said that the second interviews are used for either double checking the first interviewer who is new, or else they are testing the blind new interview style for consistency.

Interviewed with one interviewer, accepted 3 weeks later.

Stop being so paranoid. The dean of admissions addresses this issue right on interview day. "Straight from the horse's mouth" he said that the second interviews are used for either double checking the first interviewer who is new, or else they are testing the blind new interview style for consistency.

Interviewed with one interviewer, accepted 3 weeks later.

Just because the admissions people say something doesn't mean that it's true. I'm just trying to make sure it truly is random, since they are the only one's who REALLY know. So when I call a school to ask for a status check, after being complete since August, and they tell me "your file has not yet been reviewed," you expect me to beleive that? When other people complete after me have gotten interviews. My point is, just because it's stated blatantly doesn't mean it's completely true.

Congrats on the accept, and the poll shows there actually may not be any difference, but it also shows more people with two interviews :rolleyes:

quick question to those that got accepter to last year, or already this year...
for the 12 full scholarships that they give out, do find out if you get them WITH your acceptance letter? just curious... dont think i really have a shot at them anyway :(

No one on SDN has mentioned receiving a scholarship with their express-mailed acceptance (yet). Judging from past mdapps profiles, scholarships don't go out until late March and early April.

Anxiously waiting to hear from the school. I loved it, but it took til late December for me to get my Credentials form in. Think my pre-heatlh office messed it up, so I went straight to the adminstration and got it sent from there.

Just because the admissions people say something doesn't mean that it's true. I'm just trying to make sure it truly is random, since they are the only one's who REALLY know. So when I call a school to ask for a status check, after being complete since August, and they tell me "your file has not yet been reviewed," you expect me to beleive that? When other people complete after me have gotten interviews. My point is, just because it's stated blatantly doesn't mean it's completely true.

Congrats on the accept, and the poll shows there actually may not be any difference, but it also shows more people with two interviews :rolleyes:

I concur with HumbleMD. On my interview day, I was told that the second interview is to test the blind interview strategy, to back-up a new committee member, OR to back-up any old committee member who likes to "quality-check" his/her interviewing. The Dean said that he tells the interview secretary to schedule a second interview for every several or so (e.g., 1 in 12) of his and some of his colleagues thought it was a good idea and arrange to have back-up interviews for themselves too.

Hope that helps the paranoia.

(Accepted, two interviews, neither was blind)

True, you can't always take everything at face value, but you really can't obsess over these things - you'll drive yourself to an anxiety attack (I swear my blood pressure has gone down since limiting my SDN intake;) ). This is something I'd trust the admissions committee on, as it would seem like a fairly elaborate lie otherwise. I mean, are you going to think that when Dean Ruiz at U of M tells you that groups 1 and A (so cute - they did it so there wouldn't be 2's or B's), are equal, they really aren't? I mean, some things you just need to let to the wind.