======== The offical why medicine is a good career choice thread ============

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone, post one thing about why medicine is a good profession to go into.

I´m going to start with, because in medicine you have the ability to affect a person´s life in a positive way with the skills and knowledge you struggled to learn in medical school that few people will have the opportunity to do.

Members don't see this ad.

because it's a lot of work and work is fun.

Everyone, post one thing about why medicine is a good profession to go into.

I´m going to start with, because in medicine you have the ability to affect a person´s life in a positive way with the skills and knowledge you struggled to learn in medical school that few people will have the opportunity to do.

Because you can have long-term professional relationships with people in a way that allows you to have a significant impact on their lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
because you make tons of MONEY!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You have the potential to make a diffrence in someone's life

my dad is a carpenter, and has been one since he was about 17... He works with his brain of course, but a lot of what he does is using up his muscles... he makes good money but the fact is he is getting worn out... at age 55. The other day I saw an article about a pediatrician who is something like 85 years old. Basically it is good to be able to work with your brain, not your braun, you should be able to last a bit longer...

because you get to interact with people on a daily basis. well for most specialties anyway.

cuz nurses will be all over you :thumbup:

You can wear jammies to work everyday and still be valued as a productive member of society.

Because who doesn't think walking around with a stethoscope around your neck is cool...

Members don't see this ad :)
free pens!!!!

Why medicine?

1) Ability to create relationships with patients, especially in the field I want to go into -- psychiatry. I work on a crisis/suicide hotline, and some callers call daily, and I have gotten to know them well. It feels good.

2) Science. (Psychiatry)Medicine involves lots of (neuro)science, which is doubleplusgood. I love (neuro)science.

Why medicine?

1) Ability to create relationships with patients, especially in the field I want to go into -- psychiatry. I work on a crisis/suicide hotline, and some callers call daily, and I have gotten to know them well. It feels good.

2) Science. (Psychiatry)Medicine involves lots of (neuro)science, which is doubleplusgood. I love (neuro)science.

You can't really sleep with your patients.

It is a project, and a rewarding one. I honestly enjoy the fact that for the next 9-13 years of my life I will be working towards a serious goal. That each day will bring new challenges.

Once I am there I will have the ability to help others and the ones I love. The power of knowledge.

PS. Are there any hot guy nurses that could be all over me? ;) lol jk

Why medicine?

If you want relationships, then I hope that you don't plan on taking insurance. The insurance company will want you to see more patients than you can possibly fit in a day's schedule. There is not a lot of time for relationships in medicine. Consider nursing.

As for science, medicine is differential-driven. Patient has this, do this test, rule out these things, diagnose, treat. You go through these steps over and over until you can do it without thinking. Not much science unless you go into academics (in which case you won't get your money back from the education).

Posters, this is a capitalist country. You guys are idealists but not realists. There is a reason why derm and plastics are incredibly competative. After you actually learn how the system works, most people realize that they're not altruists anymore.

sometimes patients will want to suck your wee wee if you're really good

NIIIIIICE

everyone's always having sex in the call room

i learned that on TV

because i want to be responsible for saving people's lives, be directly invovled in improving the health of all people on earth, and challenge myself and learn more than i ever thought possible

because i want to be responsible for saving people's lives, be directly involved in improving the health of all people on earth, and challenge myself and learn more than i ever thought possible

Well, that's going to be a lot of patients to see over the course of a career - although if you go into FP the insurance companies will probably expect you to see about 6 or 7 billion people.... so I suppose it is doable :)

Forget free pens, what about free lunches? (Gotta love those drug reps.) And the periodic free dinners? Think about it. If you get just three free lunches/dinners per week, averaging about $25/meal (yes, they do spend that much, and more), working about 45 weeks a year, over a thirty-year medical career, that's worth... 3*25*45*30 = $101,250! Who said med school couldn't pay for itself? ;)

Also, the fact that people address you as "Dr." rather than "Mr." or "Ms." or whatever. Not quite as cool as, say, "your beatitude" or "the honorable," but still kind of nice.

But seriously, being a doctor is a truly great way to use your innate talents and hard-earned skills to understand the workings of the human body and to alleviate human suffering... two of the great driving forces behind science and medicine. Even if they don't interact with patients on a day-to-day basis, physicians are serving in, arguably, one of the noblest professions in society. Not only does medicine appreciate the fantastic complexity of the human body, but it also seeks to understand it and make it better. Not only does it recognize the immense value of a human life, but it also strives to preserve and honor its dignity.

Depending on your personality, medicine is also great if you love a challenge, love to solve problems, love to teach and to learn, love to communicate with others... sure there are a lot of downsides, but if medicine's the right thing for you, then in the end, I have no doubt that it's really, really rewarding.

My list of cool titles:
1) His Eminence
2) Doctor
3) His Holiness
4) His Majesty
5) Gousojin-sama

My birth keeps me from attaining (1), (3), and (4). Crazy smart premeds keep me from attaining (2). I'll settle for (5) - but I first need to learn fluent Japanese and jump into the anime world.

Life :thumbdown:

1.You have more credibility on SDN if you make it through.
2.MD license plate (suppose you get pulled over, you can just say you're responding to a call)
3.Free bandaids for life

just a few off the top of my head

If you want relationships, then I hope that you don't plan on taking insurance. The insurance company will want you to see more patients than you can possibly fit in a day's schedule. There is not a lot of time for relationships in medicine. Consider nursing.

As for science, medicine is differential-driven. Patient has this, do this test, rule out these things, diagnose, treat. You go through these steps over and over until you can do it without thinking. Not much science unless you go into academics (in which case you won't get your money back from the education).

Posters, this is a capitalist country. You guys are idealists but not realists. There is a reason why derm and plastics are incredibly competative. After you actually learn how the system works, most people realize that they're not altruists anymore.

Actually, I do want to go into academics, so the science portion will be there for me. Also, if you work at a university with a psychiatric hospital and split your time between the lab and clinic, I imagine you could develop some relationships with the patients who are there on a regular basis.

As for the money, you're right -- the money in academia is pretty low. But, it's not low enough to scare me away in regular practice.

BRING IT ON FOLKS. HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT.

Medicine is good because it gives your mother the opportunity to finally go around saying "my kid is a doctor", and it gives her something to say to that pesky Chinese woman who lives two houses down the street, who never fails to mention that her kid (who now lives in the basement playing WoW) beat you in the 4th grade violin competition.

"Chicks, money, power and chicks." - Dr. Cox
-Dr. P.

You guys ever take those career quizzes in grade school and middle school?

They were amazingly easy to figure out. I always made the choices that seemed most compatible with "doctor" or "engineer" cuz when I'd bring the report home to my mom it usually made her happy and I could watch tv all day.

You get to work with a lot of people, solve challenging problems that matter, meet and increasing need, work with a marvelous human body, live pretty much anywhere, sleep in your own bed every night/day or at least every other day, you can thrive off stress, and after providing free and cheap labor for many years, any pay will seem good.

Because sick people are everywhere, and they are here to stay.

Comfortable financial lifestyle (yes, in the vast majority of cases).

Dynamic job (as opposed to cubicle/desk jobs).

As a bonus, sometimes you get people feel better. When you can't, well, there's nothing you can do about that, but you can always make them more comfortable.

I feel pretty confident when I say the general consensus on SDN is "chicks."