Texas Interviews 2007 - Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify the purpose of the match from TMDSAS:

Thus, slots need to exist first before additional offers are made.

http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/Acceptance-MatchInfo.htm#

Good point. Wish I knew more what was going on, but seems to me applicants will simply get acceptances later than they would've last year. I'm guessing ~40% of acceptees will eventually decline their spots and there'll be massive waitlist movement.

Folks should still rank according to their preferences. Don't worry too much about UTSW seeing your rankings before waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify the purpose of the match from TMDSAS:

Thus, slots need to exist first before additional offers are made.

http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/Acceptance-MatchInfo.htm#

And I assume these slots will open up super soon being that today was the day you had to choose ONE if you had multiple acceptances. Thus I find it pretty impossible for all schools to be full, even if they gave out as many acceptances as they have spots. When Dr. Jones from UTSA came to A&M to talk he told me that med schools usually have to give 2 to 3 times as many acceptances as they have spots in order to properly fill the class. So there is hope for people worrying. No worries. At all. Just sleep until Feb 15th :)

I'm tempted to call a few schools and ask how many spots they have left to fill!

Also, to clarify on the match, if you match at your #2 + school, you can still get waitlisted at your #1? How exactly does that work?

Oh and also, in that other thread, ppl were arguing if UTSW is going to use the match or if they gave away all their acceptances or whatever, but, I think in that same thread, ppl said they had interviews in 07 for UTSW. I'd imagine if they are interviewing those ppl then they would still be using the match or giving out acceptances after the pre-match ones were given out (or else why bother and interview them if they had enough ppl for acceptance and watilist??)

Oh and also, in that other thread, ppl were arguing if UTSW is going to use the match or if they gave away all their acceptances or whatever, but, I think in that same thread, ppl said they had interviews in 07 for UTSW. I'd imagine if they are interviewing those ppl then they would still be using the match or giving out acceptances after the pre-match ones were given out (or else why bother and interview them if they had enough ppl for acceptance and watilist??)

Because they know historically that a good number of accepted applicants will decline their spots, so they need to interview ~700 and eventually extend acceptances to about half that number to fill a class of ~235.

That was the argument I was making. I interviewed earlier this month and we were told we were NOT interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Because they know historically that a good number of accepted applicants will decline their spots, so they need to interview ~700 and eventually extend acceptances to about half that number to fill a class of ~235.

right... so are ppl saying they will do this w/o the match?

Also, how do you get waitlisted w/ the match system? Is it if you don't get matched at your #1 choice then you get waitlisted there or....?

Them not doing match was never discussed during interviews, and therefore it is gonna be a big letdown come MATCH day for some people.

Again, like I said in a previous post, this isn't true (at least at my interview date.) While they didn't explicitly state that they were not using the match, they also never said that they were using the match. I made a mental note of this because most other schools droned on about the rolling admissions + match process, but UTSW was different and didn't mention the match.

I'm curious to know where, when and who promised SW was giving out acceptances during the match?

If you look at SW's website they have an applicant timeline from an April MCAT through August school start and no where does it mention the match. It does however mention the pre-match early offer period: http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept21170/files/65437.html

I looked for about 5 minutes (admittedly not the most exhaustive search) on SW's website and I don't see a single mention of the match on Feb. 15.

From TMDSAS:

All actions on admission to a professional program are the prerogative of the Committee on Admission of the individual professional school.

baylormed said:
Bitter much?
I hated my high school yes.

And yeah, I guess people = you, since you are the one running around using words like "rich, well known kid", "elitist", and "daddy's country club", o and I forgot "madness".
NO! I removed "elitest" from that one post. But everything else yes I used those terms. To humorously point out that although there might be some perfectly good reason for them not to be in the match, there's equally good reason that it's some sort of desire to separate from the crowd. You know me, I'm only 50% serious about 100% of my posts unless they are in the 60% that are actual responses to questions, of which I am 78% serious, then again about 20% of those are dehorsers, but about 1% of those are uncalled for and end up in a thread lockdown.

Okay, okay, backing off now....I'm staying away from this match paranoia.
Yeah step away from the match. Put your hands on the LMFU and spread your RCWs for a full search.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious to know where, when and who promised SW was giving out acceptances during the match?

If you look at SW's website they have an applicant timeline from an April MCAT through August school start and no where does it mention the match. It does however mention the pre-match early offer period: http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept21170/files/65437.html

I looked for about 5 minutes (admittedly not the most exhaustive search) on SW's website and I don't see a single mention of the match on Feb. 15.

From TMDSAS:

UTSW should have just been clear in the first place. It's not just early interviewers that are confused, even the people that just interviewed recently dont really know what is going on from the posts i am reading. We cant even be sure at this point they arent even using match, our only source is an SDN'er that supposedly called the school.

If that aint a lack of clarity, I dont know what is. You are making it seem that their plans were so transparent to everybody and we should have accepted the fact they arent using MATCh a long time ago. Uhhh... not the case.

Ok ok, let's cool it down everyone. I shouldn't have started my ranting, no matter how much comedic genius is embedded between the lines, I didn't know tensions were running this high, though I should have since we are now entering the final month before match.

I for one, despite my posting which was in half good humor and half frustration, would absolutely love to go to UTSW even if they don't participate in the match, even if I am the last one off the waitlist (though I am in no way discounting UTH, that school is the bomb diggity and I love it too).

Fact of the matter is that this is a new system. Although we didn't know about UTSW's plans, we DID know that we were going to be guinea pigs. We assumed the risk and applied anyway. Even with an old system, it will never be flawless. Mistakes will be made by both the schools and applicants, but venting frustration and trying to place blame solves nothing. We can only roll with the punches, adapt to our situations, and move on.

So I say fine. UTSW doesn't want to be a part of the match? So be it. If I am destined to go there, then I am sure the big G will make the cards fall in my favor. Even though I was half heartedly joking, I still must remind myself that any sort of frustration on my part would be damned arrogant, especially to those who are offering me a chance right now, our own beloved UTH.

It would also be presumptuous on my part to whine since there are many sitting with no pre match acceptances, whose lives will be determined by the match - at least since the match will play a large part in their road to being a physician, they have more right than me to complain about UTSW not matching this year.

And Baylormed you've grown quite attached to your new school and I should have realized that before going off on it so I'm sorry if I offended you (been watching too much Colbert report/Daily Show/Mencia so I've lost my sense of political correctness and simple courtesy). But no really, I was being kinda arrogant, sorry.

You are making it seem that their plans were so transparent to everybody and we should have accepted the fact they arent using MATCh a long time ago.

No.

What I AM saying is that you and your brethern are being fairly presumptuous in assuming that they were going to partake in the match when they made NO insinuation that they were going to do so.

Listen, you are complaining that their admission process is not transparent.

Allow me to be the first person to welcome you to the medical school application process. It is their school. They make the rules, not you. Forgive them if they don't allow you the opportunity to be a fly on their admissions wall.

Many schools around the country keep applicants in the dark for months without so much as a peep.

Clearly, you have transformed your anger at not receiving an acceptance into anger concerning a perceived lack of organization and communication on the part of SW.

No.

What I AM saying is that you and your brethern are being fairly presumptuous in assuming that they were going to partake in the match when they made NO insinuation that they were going to do so.
Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack. If they made no mention of it, are we to just assume they are not going to do it? Or base our conclusions on what UTSW has done in the past, and what other UTs are doing now? I suppose part of the blame is on us for not finding out for ourselves, but am I wrong in thinking that when they welcomed us at interview day and told us things like "we are here to make this process go smoothly" and "we try to make our interview day as informative as possible" that part of the responsibility of information exchange should be on the school too?

The only indication that they would not participate in the match other than what was posted here is that there is no record of the match being on the timeline on the UTSW website, whereas the match is mentioned in other schools' websites.

Listen, you are complaining that their admission process is not transparent.

Allow me to be the first person to welcome you to the medical school application process. It is their school. They make the rules, not you. Forgive them if they don't allow you the opportunity to be a fly on their admissions wall.
Yes, I agree, see my previous post, it's a new system and there are going to be flaws. There were flaws in the old system and to think there won't be any with a new set of procedures is the height of naivety. But you must forgive us for being frustrated when we get a little surprise like this if we are to forgive them for their mistakes.

Clearly, you have transformed your anger at not receiving an acceptance into anger concerning a perceived lack of organization and communication on the part of SW.
Now this is just plain unnecessary. He is frustrated as an applicant - there is no need for personal generalizations, this is a time of heightened emotions and stress, please recognize that and exercise some tact in the future. That goes for everyone.

I'm all for dehorsing people but this is a delicate time so lets all retract our claws...

If you've got a clique of people and they all decide to do something and if there's a rich, well known kid in the group who decides not to - well you're right his mom might be sick, or his car might be broke - but he might also not want to bowl at Joe's Ten Pin on the east side of town and instead play a couple holes at his daddy's country club.

-Eternalrage

Yeah. I'm the one who lacks tact.

I don't know what all the big deal is with the match. If you don't get in on Feb. 15th you can always call each school and politely ask to be accepted.

Hey guys!

I know how stressful this has got to be for you guys waiting on the match. Just wishing you the best of luck :luck: and sending you good vibes hoping you guys can relax til Feb.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

I don't know what all the big deal is with the match. If you don't get in on Feb. 15th you can always call each school and politely ask to be accepted.

right! and then sing kumbaya with the admissions people

thanks anastasis!

I would like to remind people to try to remain civil. these pissing contest posts and personal attacks actually have some valid points, but they get lost in the b.s.

this new information does in fact influence how people can and should rank utsw IMO. rather than berate each other, please discuss the impact of ranking them #1. i agree that the schools owe us nothing in terms of their admissions transparency, but then again i see nothing wrong with a little venting of frustration and shock at the news.

said my peace, now you can whip them back out and get your rulers ready....go!

I'm tempted to call a few schools and ask how many spots they have left to fill!

Also, to clarify on the match, if you match at your #2 + school, you can still get waitlisted at your #1? How exactly does that work?
yes you're right. if you match somewhere down your list, you're waitlisted at all the schools above it.

i don't know whether i should look forward to or dread feb15. everything's riding on TAMU!

-Eternalrage

Yeah. I'm the one who lacks tact.

Do you even read posts other than your own and whomever you are arguing with? I already stated that was supposed to be out of humor - actually the continuation of an inside joke that no one got, not even those on the inside.

And regardless of whatever my intentions were, I still apologized for it to baylormed.

Please, read before you post.

Haha... let's get this straight, i'm not angry at all... you are definetly reading too much into my posts.

And if I was angry, it would be about me transforming my anger at not recieving a matchday acceptance into anger concerning a perceived lack of communication. Otherwise i'd be angry at everyschool that didnt accept me yet. So yea, just chill...

I have obviously missed the humor in making derogatory comments towards SW.

I stand corrected and motion to get the thread back on track.

Hmmm... there is no "save" button on the page where we enter our match preference? I can enter my school preference but I can't save. :confused:

Hmmm... there is no "save" button on the page where we enter our match preference? I can enter my school preference but I can't save. :confused:

There should be, I get a save button on mine. Are you using IE? Might want to update yours just in case.

That's funny it disappeared on mine. I already put my match stuff in and saved it so I'm ok... but it is strange because It should be open to change until Feb 1. Maybe try emailing TMDSAS. It could be a mess up because of all this pre-match choosing stuff.

It's gone on mine too. That's funny because my pre-match page still has a save button like I could be able to change it.

It's gone on mine too. That's funny because my pre-match page still has a save button like I could be able to change it.

That's exactly how mine is! I'm pretty sure (thought of course I have to REAL idea) its just a mess up. Though I do appreciate TMDSAS..... sometimes the way things run just make me go :confused: . We could all just email them because if we don't tell them they probably don't know.

That's exactly how mine is! I'm pretty sure (thought of course I have to REAL idea) its just a mess up. Though I do appreciate TMDSAS..... sometimes the way things run just make me go :confused: . We could all just email them because if we don't tell them they probably don't know.

Gotta love the page layout. First time I went to TMDSAS I thought to myself " roflzamao well this can't be it, must be a left over page from 8 years ago or something, wheres all my flash and JAVA and elegant website design like teh AMCAS".

Gotta love the page layout. First time I went to TMDSAS I thought to myself " roflzamao well this can't be it, must be a left over page from 8 years ago or something, wheres all my flash and JAVA and elegant website design like teh AMCAS".

Yeah the AMCAS is fancy... but also a LOT more expensive. So I guess its just a trade off :) I wish I could think of a funny analogy to insert here. That would make me smile and perhaps giggle.....*sigh*

I wouldn't expect them to fix it today, because I am willing to bet that nobody went to work.

why? MLK was yesterday! GET TO WORK BEFRE U GET FIRED

It is so not fair that Texas saw snow in November and we haven't even seen it at all here in Baltimore. We've had no winter weather at all. It was over 60 degrees yesterday...

This is the first year of all my JHU years where that has happened. Al Gore spoke at my commencement and everyone fell asleep and this is what we get

That's something we agree on. :eek:

The TMDSAS page seems kind of rudimentary, and you have to get used to the format in order to find what you need. Even then, it gets a little confusing.

do we usually disagree? =(

Well we were disagreeing over on the old thread about the way the rich elitist kid is handling admissions this year, remember?

But overall, I guess we don't always disagree. ;)

Well we were disagreeing over on the old thread about the way the rich elitist kid is handling admissions this year, remember?

But overall, I guess we don't always disagree. ;)

Well now I'm disagreeing that we disagreed totally on that subject, I ended up agreeing although yes initially I disagreed. I flipped my position on the matter right about here:

EternalRage said:
And Baylormed you've grown quite attached to your new school and I should have realized that before going off on it so I'm sorry if I offended you (been watching too much Colbert report/Daily Show/Mencia so I've lost my sense of political correctness and simple courtesy). But no really, I was being kinda arrogant, sorry.

Lol, this is pretty entertaining! I'm not going to say I'm confused, in fear it will start the debate again. :confused:

The TMDSAS website is so ghetto that it makes me nervous. It really does look like it was made eight years ago. Aren't new websites a bit more hack-proof? I'd be willing to pay a bit more if they would upgrade, for my sanity.

Lol, this is pretty entertaining! I'm not going to say I'm confused, in fear it will start the debate again. :confused:

The TMDSAS website is so ghetto that it makes me nervous. It really does look like it was made eight years ago. Aren't new websites a bit more hack-proof? I'd be willing to pay a bit more if they would upgrade, for my sanity.

I'm going to pretend in my head that instead of working to make sure it looks crack proof they just made it crack proof to trick the people who thought it wasn't hack proof. Or something like that. :oops:

I'm going to pretend in my head that instead of working to make sure it looks crack proof they just made it crack proof to trick the people who thought it wasn't hack proof. Or something like that. :oops:

:confused:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

:confused:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I've got cabin fever. First I was in Dallas where we were iced in starting Saturday. And now I'm at school and we're iced in, again. I love my car too much to leave and possibly dent it. :( So I'm forced to sit by SDN and chit chat.

I am making coffee now... perhaps it will help

Oh! Here's something fun. Why don't we talk about which school had our fav interview day. Not interview just all the other stuff like food, convo with students, tours etc. That would be close to the real topic :)

Oh! Here's something fun. Why don't we talk about which school had our fav interview day. Not interview just all the other stuff like food, convo with students, tours etc. That would be close to the real topic :)

This does sound fun -- especially since I'm sitting here snowed in, as well.....

Best Food: A&M -- I want to go back and ask them where they got that Tres Leches cake!
Worst Food: UTMB -- 1 piece of fried chicken. Salad with ONLY Ranch dressing. Yuck!
Tackiest Food: UTSW -- "Please Take only 1 BBQ Sandwich." Waiting in line with all the Medical Students for our 1 BBQ Sandwich.

Best Tour Guide(s): UTSW -- Mine totally knew her stuff, and gave a great tour. She also knew most of my group's interviewers, and gave us great prep for our interviews.
Worst Tour Guide: A&M -- "Hey guys, want to go check out the psych. ward?" What's scarier is that that jackass might be my doctor someday.
Worst TOUR: UTMB. Although my tour guide was great, that tour just seemed to go on, and on, and on, and on....

Best convo with Students: UTSA. I talked to a LOT of students that day, and got lots of quality information.
Worst convo with Students: Hmmmmm, maybe UTMB. I actually really don't remember talking/having the opportuinty to talk with (m)any students at UTMB.

It's freaking snowing! The news makes it feel like the Texas equivalent of the blizzard of '96 in the northeast.

Does Austin ever salt its roads or do I have to wait for the ice to melt on its own?

Best Food: UTH or Tech. UTH was really nice chicken and stuff of which I totally stuffed myself and Tech had REALLY good chicken fried steak.
Worst Food: None was really bad but UTSA just gave a box lunch from Jason's deli

Best Tour: UTH or UTSW. I got to see open heart surgery at Houston and the UTSW tour was really informative and showed all the ins and outs of Parkland and of Children's
Worst Tour: A&M it was SOOO HOT and they kept shipping us around Temple. But I did like the VA. Cute little old men!

Best Conversation: UTH or UTSW UTH students were super nice and quelled some of my concerns with the school and UTSW was with a friend I knew there and his friends so it was really personal
Worst Conversation: I'm really not sure. UTSA was a little nerve racking because I knew that they were all on admissions so it made it hard to ask many in depth questions

Status
Not open for further replies.