Florida schools application thread part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email to that address, and was told my application was still with the committee. Any hope for an interview?

Wow I can't believe I missed it. You got 2 interview invites in valentines day week. That must have been a helluva early and belated valentines day present for you. hahahaha. Good luck man!! Glad to see it worked out as I knew it always would at some of the Florida schools. I'm glad both USF and FSU came through. Good luck with the interview at USF and hearing good news hopefully from FSU and USF.

Where would you go if you had gotten into both?

Members don't see this ad.

....I was waiting for the..."and this is furthermore why I decided to go to Boca" either bc of the language barrier or because you didn't want to see these misguided patients for a few more years. haha. Too Funny!!! Good news-my car is fixed...amazing!! I'm not stuck on campus any longer...thank goodness!!!

P.S. Dr. Zeke, I park at the McDonald's parking lot...I was going to switch garages, but I figured even if I parked there, I would still not be motivated enough to get my fat-ass to the gym. haha. (I use "fat ass" loosely)....also, you have to cross a scary/busy street, and I've always been afraid of that, especially in Miami-and this is the reason, I live directly on the other side of A1A from the Beach and have only been once, bc I don't like crossing streets!!

I go to sleep for a few hours and this thread is booming :love:

As for living on the other side of A1A...so do I...and I never go to the beach. Two reasons as of late:
1) I am not happy with my "fat ass" - not using the term loosel - hence this new gym regimen.
2) I am too busy and lazy :) So sad. When I do go...it's so lovely though...

Crossing streets. I am a master jay-walker. It's kind of ridiculous, but cars just stop before me and let me pass :smuggrin:

I have read many of the posts regarding interviews and waitlists... However I am curious about the interview/acceptance rate for USF. I have an interview on March 19, and I am assuming that must be one of the last interview Mondays. :(

I'd like to reiterate what I posted on page 7 in post # 340. (yeah I just looked it up. hahahaha :laugh: :laugh: ;))

At any rate, what I said one page back and what you should know is that even if you get waitlist position by interviewing that late, it does not mean it will be at the btto of the waitist. I've known several past applicants, now med students there, who have had some of the last interview invites to be given top of the waitlist positions on the waitlist. So even if you get waitlisted don't assume it means bottom tier.

bball25,
I saw that you got waitlisted ther but that essentially means you are in since you are he top of the waitlist so don't worry. You'll get the call most likely somewhere between April sometime or Mid May-early Juneish time. That's what usually happens.

People have to drop multiple acceptances May 15th, so generally the biggest influx of waitlist movement starts around May 16th-17th. However in some rare instances people start dropping multiple acceptances earlier and movment occurs aound April or very rarely around end of April. So good luck don't give up hope. You'll be in in a few months time. I'm positive of that.

Those of you who are late interviewees at USF, if you get high tier waitlist its just a matter of when you get the call for the most part unless the majority of the incoming class suddenly decide USF is their first love. haha. But that's very unlikely to happen. So don't lose hope. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to reiterate what I posted on page 7 in post # 340. (yeah I just looked it up. hahahaha :laugh: :laugh: ;))

At any rate, what I said one page back and what you should know is that even if you get waitlist position by interviewing that late, it does not mean it will be at the btto of the waitist. I've known several past applicants, now med students there, who have had some of the last interview invites to be given top of the waitlist positions on the waitlist. So even if you get waitlisted don't assume it means bottom tier.

bball25,
I saw that you got waitlisted ther but that essentially means you are in since you are he top of the waitlist so don't worry. You'll get the call most likely somewhere between April sometime or Mid May-early Juneish time. That's what usually happens.

People have to drop multiple acceptances May 15th, so generally the biggest influx of waitlist movement starts around May 16th-17th. However in some rare instances people start dropping multiple acceptances earlier and movment occurs aound April or very rarely around end of April. So good luck don't give up hope. You'll be in in a few months time. I'm positive of that.

Those of you who are late interviewees at USF, if you get high tier waitlist its just a matter of when you get the call for the most part unless the majority of the incoming class suddenly decide USF is their first love. haha. But that's very unlikely to happen. So don't lose hope. Good luck.
Oh well, I suppose I should cry because I am not in the upper third of the waitlist and have virtually no chance of getting in :laugh:

Oh well, I suppose I should cry because I am not in the upper third of the waitlist and have virtually no chance of getting in :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: yeah but you got into Miami's Boca campus which can't be too bad. :D :D :D

Hopefully you'll get in their main campus too. :p:luck:

:laugh: :laugh: yeah but you got into Miami's Boca campus which can't be too bad. :D :D :D

Hopefully you'll get in their main campus too. :p:luck:

I keeeeed I keeeeed :) :laugh:

Amen to that sista.

So, I don't have the stats for USF's acceptance rate of interviewees. But, I know UF eventually accepts 230 of about 350 interviewees (about 2/3!). That really shocked me. I remember, someone mentioned that Miami's acceptance rate is about the same too. I :love: the state of Florida :)

I know UF eventually accepts 230 of about 350 interviewees (about 2/3!). That really shocked me. I :love: the state of Florida :)

Yeah I remember something like that being said while I was on my UF interview day as well...hopefully I'm in the 2/3 that get in :)

Thanks GujuDoc for all ur help with explaining the USF waitlist earlier...I guess its soothes the sting of being on 'hold'

Where would you go if you had gotten into both?

I'm really torn between the two. :love: I like aspects of both schools, with some overlap and unique qualities at each of them. The students seem really happy at both, and feel I'd be happy and energized to learn medicine at each of these institutions.:clap:

I hope to have this "problem" with an acceptance from both, so I'll leave the decision to when and if it happens. Maybe they'll make the decision for me or maybe I'll need to try again next year. I'm in this for the long haul, and don't want to start celebrating until a firm acceptance comes in.:scared:

So, I don't have the stats for USF's acceptance rate of interviewees. But, I know UF eventually accepts 230 of about 350 interviewees (about 2/3!). That really shocked me. I remember, someone mentioned that Miami's acceptance rate is about the same too. I :love: the state of Florida :)

At my FSU interview they said they receive about 1500 applications, interview 400, and accept 230 for a final class size capped at 120 students.

At my FSU interview they said they receive about 1500 applications, interview 400, and accept 230 for a final class size capped at 120 students.
Miami is 1200 applications, 420 interviews or so, 310 offers made for a class of 182. So I guess that's a bit less than 75% acceptance rate.

guys,

this week has been terrible. for some reason i get accepted to all the schools i dont really care to go to, and i get waitlisted or rejected at all the schools i really would like to go to, and its not that the schools i want to go to are statistically harder either.

i got waitlisted at umiami, its a bummer for sure, and i am not completely surprised as my interview went alright, nothing spectacular, for some reason i think my answers to the question seem duller and duller and duller as the interview year progressed, i dont know, it just feels like hit or miss depending on the person who interviews me, sometimes i really get along with the interviewer, sometimes its alright. Anyway i know a lot of you are still struggling to get an acceptance period and good luck thank god its march and this is all almost over. it just sucked gettin back from out of town and collecting a nice mailbox full of bad news. :mad:

guys,

this week has been terrible. for some reason i get accepted to all the schools i dont really care to go to, and i get waitlisted or rejected at all the schools i really would like to go to, and its not that the schools i want to go to are statistically harder either.

i got waitlisted at umiami, its a bummer for sure, and i am not completely surprised as my interview went alright, nothing spectacular, for some reason i think my answers to the question seem duller and duller and duller as the interview year progressed, i dont know, it just feels like hit or miss depending on the person who interviews me, sometimes i really get along with the interviewer, sometimes its alright. Anyway i know a lot of you are still struggling to get an acceptance period and good luck thank god its march and this is all almost over. it just sucked gettin back from out of town and collecting a nice mailbox full of bad news. :mad:
Hey Ned,

Don't despair. Miami takes lot of people off the waitlist :). Hopefully, you and I will both get in!

Also, remember that this entire process is a crapshoot. MANY people are in your position and there is nothing wrong with being disappointed even though you already have acceptances. You are human and you don't have to feel guilty having those thoughts just because some people still aren't accepted. Of course, that helps put things into perspective, but it's ok to be pissed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miami is 1200 applications, 420 interviews or so, 310 offers made for a class of 182. So I guess that's a bit less than 75% acceptance rate.

I bet that for people like you, that show continued interest in the school, the acceptance rate is closer to 90%.:thumbup:

I think there applications probably went up this year though, because they spammed people with an email. I know that for me personally I was not planning on applying to Miami until I got that mail. I kind of applied on a whim thinking, well Miami does have uber nice weather. Then once I went on the interview I was really impressed, and it is one of my top choices now.

Never the less, I personally believe you are as good as accepted. Especially since you have been incredibly proactive by getting involved in research at Jackson before school even starts. :luck:

UF said I should have gotten my decision by mail by last friday...but I havent gotten it yet. This waiting process is really killing me. I wonder why they dont just call us about decisions like every other Florida school (FSU and USF at least)? I'll give it til Wed.

oh...and by the way this thread was on page 4!!!! C'mon guys we gotta keep it on the front page :)

I bet that for people like you, that show continued interest in the school, the acceptance rate is closer to 90%.:thumbup:

I think there applications probably went up this year though, because they spammed people with an email. I know that for me personally I was not planning on applying to Miami until I got that mail. I kind of applied on a whim thinking, well Miami does have uber nice weather. Then once I went on the interview I was really impressed, and it is one of my top choices now.

Never the less, I personally believe you are as good as accepted. Especially since you have been incredibly proactive by getting involved in research at Jackson before school even starts. :luck:
LOL omg, I still haven't written my letter of intent. Probably in the next 2 weeks. I've been bogged down with my 3 jobs...I'm seriously thinking about quitting one, because I am going insane. I just got home from work and I realized that I worked 48 hours this week or something. AAAAH!!!!

Thanks for the kind words! Btw, I totally agree with you on what you said in the Miami forum about the basic sciences education. I definitely think that people come to miami for M3 and M4 and not so much 1 and 2.

:)

Hi kids. Anyone have some good news? I don't wanna have to go back and read umpteen posts, so someone please summarize for me. :laugh:

LifetimeDoc and myself have an interview at USF tomorrow :scared: That's news.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Since I think SDN puts limits on number of smilies, you can multiply those luck symbols by infinity!!! :D You'll do awesome as so will he.

Yay!!! That is SO exciting!! Kick ass boys!

Q, your avatar made me crack up for a good 5 minutes! I was diene...hehehe...

i think this week we should write our letter of interest dr zeke, might be able to get ours in early!!!!!!!!

I am just dying for a Miami interview at this point. I keep calling the admissions office and they tell me they are waiting for a committee decision on my file. I think that is code for HOLD! Initially, I preferred the main campus, but at this point, I would be over the moon with an interview at the Boca Campus. As March and April draw nearer, I am beginning to despair about my chances.:idea:

If you look back a few pages, I believe that GujuDoc addressed some of these concerns. In summary, even if you interview the last day at USF, you are still interviewing for an outright (no waitlist) seat in the class. This has happened to people who interviewed last year, so no worries.

Also, I believe their acceptance rate is AT LEAST 50% (I remember hearing 60%) once you get an interview. This includes people taken from the waitlist too.

Good luck at your interview. Just prepare and have a good time :)

I will prepare as much as I can. Thanks for replying ;)

LOL I am so freaking swamped, but I do want to write that thing over the weekend! WE CAN DO IT!!! We better end up as classmates ;)

PS - all this talk about how the basic sciences Miami makes me sad that the Boca curriculum isn't being done at Miami yet.

Just got back from USF. Awesome medical school! I had a really great PhD interviewer and it was a lot more relaxing having an interview under my belt. I'm kinda sad though as it's my top choice, and I really hope that I get an outright acceptance. I don't want to go through this application process again, never, lol.:laugh:

Just got back from USF. Awesome medical school! I had a really great PhD interviewer and it was a lot more relaxing having an interview under my belt. I'm kinda sad though as it's my top choice, and I really hope that I get an outright acceptance. I don't want to go through this application process again, never, lol.:laugh:

I agree! I loved USF and it's my top choice. I hope we both get accepted! ;)

Hehe...we have these ambiguous names :).

Isn't REL awesome?

:laugh: :laugh: I hope you guys get accepted at your chosen schools. Dr. Zeke to UMiami main campus and Lifetime and Soccer to USF. :luck: :luck:

Update: I finally got some interviews!!! On Feb 19 I interviewed at FSU, and last week I got interview invites from UM Miami, UM Boca, and USF on the same day!!! Im crazy excited, especially about USF. Did anyone stay with a med student for USF?:D

Update: I finally got some interviews!!! On Feb 19 I interviewed at FSU, and last week I got interview invites from UM Miami, UM Boca, and USF on the same day!!! Im crazy excited, especially about USF. Did anyone stay with a med student for USF?:D
LOL OMG!!!! AWESOME!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! What took them so long?!?! Honestly, what changed or what goes on with these adcoms???

That's great! Good luck with your interviews!

Thank you to everybody for all the well wishes. Everyone on SDN seems so supportive, it's really amazing!

Thanks a lot:) . Sorry I took a while to post. The FCAT has really taken a lot out of me!!:scared:

FCAT? Are you a teacher?

Nevermind. I saw that you were in one of your previous posts. I really need to do my research before I post a question that already has an answer ;)

What does a teacher have to do for the FCAT?

They have to prepare the students for it. It is also very stressfull for them since they have to follow all of these really strict guidelines. If they don't do something right, they could loose their licenses. I think its kind of silly. But I could see how it would be stressfull for the teachers. Just as much pressure is put on them to prepare the students well. Since the schools get graded through the FCAT, a bad score could mean less money and/or a change in the staff at the school. I know this info because my mom is also a teacher.

I highly recommend staying with students for all of your interviews. You'll get to learn more about the school from the students who go there than from the administration's short presentation. Also, your host may help prepare you for your interview. Whenever I host someone, I tell them exactly what they need to say during the interview to make a good impression. My technique must be working. As far as I can tell, all but one of them have been accepted here.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you all a shout out- I wish you luck on these interviews & decisions. Every passing hour is one step forward to medical school supremacy. :thumbup:
I find out from both UM and USF tommorow! I am hoping this will be the end of the road for me.

Walter

Q brought diene back! :)

ps: any USF or Miami interviews offered lately?? is there any hope left for me?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As Americanangel always used to say........

yayayayayayayayayayayay!!!!!

Congrats!!!

Good luck!!!

Hope your interviews turn out well!

Status
Not open for further replies.