UT Austin Premeds!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichewu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sup guys, i am probably transferring to UTA next semester and i was wondering how the science courses/ counselors were at ut austin. is it a good environment to get into med school? any advice would be great. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well you can get as much or as little out of it as your want. since its a large school meeting with counselors/HPO office is all up to you. Frankly i had a lot of friends/ relatives to give me advice and waiting 3 weeks for a @#$#@ appointment is a pain. But the school does officer a good amount of mock mcats, mock interviews, info sessions etc. But if you dont constantly check the right websites you'll prob miss them. i would join APS or some other pre medical society and attend the meetings...that will help significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should go to A&M :smuggrin:

I would have to concur :) UT has its things that are nice (I assume that's why people go there) (just teasing!) but you will get no better prep than from A&M. Karen Hudson is AMAZING will tell you exactly how it is. They print some statistic that like 90% of people who use our office and have like a 3.7 or something (I don't remember what gpr) get into medical school.

And...at one of my interviews one of the admissions staff people was walking around talking to us and asked a guy why he wanted to be a doctor (just as a cute prep before our interview) and he thinks and say "Well.... I just really want to help people":eek: And if you don't know it, that's like the 8th deadly sin to say. NEVER say that's why you want to be a doctor. When he said it I heard all the A&M people in the room gasp. And he was from UT.

But good luck at UT if you just HAAVVEE to go there :) use all the resources you can get so you don't make the same mistake :D

p.s. please take this post in the good nature it was meant in. I really do wish you good luck :luck:

I would have to concur :) UT has its things that are nice (I assume that's why people go there) (just teasing!) but you will get no better prep than from A&M. Karen Hudson is AMAZING will tell you exactly how it is. They print some statistic that like 90% of people who use our office and have like a 3.7 or something (I don't remember what gpr) get into medical school.

And...at one of my interviews one of the admissions staff people was walking around talking to us and asked a guy why he wanted to be a doctor (just as a cute prep before our interview) and he thinks and say "Well.... I just really want to help people":eek: And if you don't know it, that's like the 8th deadly sin to say. NEVER say that's why you want to be a doctor. When he said it I heard all the A&M people in the room gasp. And he was from UT.

But good luck at UT if you just HAAVVEE to go there :) use all the resources you can get so you don't make the same mistake :D

p.s. please take this post in the good nature it was meant in. I really do wish you good luck :luck:
From OPSA's website:
STATISTICS OF AGGIES ENTERING MEDICAL SCHOOL IN 2006:
- 78% of Aggies who applied and had a 27 or higher on the MCAT were admitted.
- 96.6% of Aggies who applied and had a 3.5 overall GPR or better AND a 30 or better MCAT score were admitted.

From OPSA's website:
STATISTICS OF AGGIES ENTERING MEDICAL SCHOOL IN 2006:
- 78% of Aggies who applied and had a 27 or higher on the MCAT were admitted.
- 96.6% of Aggies who applied and had a 3.5 overall GPR or better AND a 30 or better MCAT score were admitted.
oh come on, most people at most schools with a 3.5+ and 30+ will get accepted

sup guys, i am probably transferring to UTA next semester and i was wondering how the science courses/ counselors were at ut austin. is it a good environment to get into med school? any advice would be great. thanks

I could be wrong, but I thought UTA = UT Arlington. Usually when people are talking about UT Austin, they just say UT.

Science courses = Great (but definitely varies by professor. www.pickaprof.com is your friend)
HPO (Science counselors) = Not nearly as great. They will tell you what you need to do logistically to get into medical school in TX. Not much more.

Is that in Austin, Massachusetts? :laugh:

BTW, I can't help but think of Austin Powers when I see UT Austin. I know - totally random.

I might as well go ahead and label this for what it is: +pad+

I don't mean to start a flame war here but don't go to A&M, UT's so much better. Technically I haven't been to A&M, but I know that UT is considered higher in the academic year and UT grads usually go to awesome med schools. We have 2 freshmen in UCSF this year, one in Columbia, one in WashU, a crap load in Baylor, and so on. If you want to go to a good med school, come to UT. If you want to go to any med school, then it doesn't matter.

Oh yeah and HPO sucks!

By the way, never, never say UTA...people will look at you puzzled.

It's UT...UT only. ;)