Received love letters/phone calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this may be a helpful list for those of us who freak out about communication after the interview-i'll start with what I've received. Maybe others can add if they got something else or the same stuff.

Cincinnati-letter with 1-2 sentances added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
Grand Rapids-phone call
UConn-email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email

Members don't see this ad.

UT-Houston: email
Highland: letter

For those of you who interviewed with us, don't expect anything from Dr. O'Keefe. He does not call or send the aforementioned love letters. Just didn't want anyone to get nervous :eek: if they don't hear anything! It means nothing. I kind of wish that the programs didn't do that. It gets everyone worked up AND it still means nothing.

:luck: to everyone making their lists!
MJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we should start another list, like interviews offered? I added myself to UConn on the left with a (x2). Primitive but effective.

Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email

Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card

Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter

Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
UChicago-letter
Johns Hopkins-cards

I got a letter from Denver saying that they will not be sending any letters after they told us at the interview they wouldn't be sending us anything. Kinda ironic.

I got a letter from Denver saying that they will not be sending any letters after they told us at the interview they wouldn't be sending us anything. Kinda ironic.

Hahaha! Hmm... haha??

I'll play along...

Cincinnati-letter with 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
UChicago-letter
Johns Hopkins-cards, letter

will the recruitment make it easier or harder to choose? :confused:

(x2) Cincinnati-letter with 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter, e-mail
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x2) UChicago-letter
Pitt- phone call

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto the letters from Duke and Hopkins. Before I had sent my thank-yous to those programs too.

Ditto the letters from Duke and Hopkins. Before I had sent my thank-yous to those programs too.

yep, got my hopkins letter too. so did anyone else interview at mayo?

Ditto Duke / Hopkins

A friend of mine received one from Hopkins as well, and he didn't even go to that interview. Which makes me believe that most of these letters mean nothing.

Things have sure changed.

When I was interviewing it wasn't unusual to get a box of cigars or Omaha Steaks. A case of wine was a nice touch as well. ;)

A friend of mine received one from Hopkins as well, and he didn't even go to that interview. Which makes me believe that most of these letters mean nothing.

I honestly dont think letters or emails mean much at all either. I wouldn't be too happy unless I got a phone call which I am honestly not expecting at all from anyone. After talking to fellow students and many others on the trail, the letters from Emory and U of Chi are pretty standard and so is the email from the PD at UT-Houston (all 3 of which I got).

I think these gestures are sort of like the thank you cards many of us send to programs after we interview.

I agree to an extent--the PD at UT-Houston didn't interview all candidates and didn't at least individually say hello to all candidates. In fact, he did his presentation, discussed the curriculum and his procedures book (four times, seriously) and then sent out a nonspecific email.

When letters or emails are sent that at least mention something that we discussed during our interview, these mean more as they are obviously personalized and take a little more time to write. Nevertheless, I still plan on ranking on what I think is best for my situation and not on how much someone wants me (although it is tempting!!).

I honestly dont think letters or emails mean much at all either. I wouldn't be too happy unless I got a phone call which I am honestly not expecting at all from anyone. After talking to fellow students and many others on the trail, the letters from Emory and U of Chi are pretty standard and so is the email from the PD at UT-Houston (all 3 of which I got).

MCG - email
Palmetto - email
VCU -standardized letter with handwritten note
Texas A&M - sorta personalized letter

Perhaps of interest to those who got Duke letters: I interviewed there about three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything. Either they are taking their time, or that's a good thing for you all! (meaning not everyone gets the letter).

Also, at one program the PD said he would send a letter to every applicant within a few weeks telling them how good of an impression they made. My interview was in November, and I'm still waiting. :)

(x2) Cincinnati-letter with 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Highland - letter, e-mail
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x2) UChicago-letter
Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis: Email[/

Man you m4s and your lists.. well done.. I partied last night and age is catching up with me.. it is almost 2pm here and im still sludging along.

i told a M4 this morning that you guys have to realize that all the programs KNOW how to play the game. they are HOPING that with a phone call, that you might change your rank list, so that your rank their program higher, without them necessarily doing the same. This takes the advantage away from the applicant, and back into the program... so, dont let these interactions sway your rank list.

i told a M4 this morning that you guys have to realize that all the programs KNOW how to play the game. they are HOPING that with a phone call, that you might change your rank list, so that your rank their program higher, without them necessarily doing the same. This takes the advantage away from the applicant, and back into the program... so, dont let these interactions sway your rank list.
interesting.. I am surprised programs care that much. Good luck M4s..

Very good point! Scary, but good point...
today was email after email from programs-Grand Rapids,Indy, Maine, U. michigan-i guess they are done with interviews now
thanks for the wisdom!
streetdoc

Absolutely true. That's why I don't send these letters out. PDs should list em as they want em, so should you.

Things have sure changed.

When I was interviewing it wasn't unusual to get a box of cigars or Omaha Steaks. A case of wine was a nice touch as well. ;)

And the delivery girls that came with those steak and wine -o- grams....I didnt realize how easy it was to set up a pole in my living room.

Gotta keep tough. It sure does feel good when you get a letter or phone call with good news. I can see how it could affect your feelings for the program...everyone wants to be loved.

Nobody loves me!!
Nobody cares.
Nobody loves me!!
Nobody owes me a thing.
Nobody loves me!!
Nobody cares.
Nobody loves me!!
Maybe I'll go eat worms.
Oh, I'll go eat some worms.

Ohhh, I'm such a piece a' ****.
Oh, you're so perfect!
Oh, you're so perfect!!
Oh, you're so much better than me!
So much better than me!!

YOU SUCK!!!

Nobody loves me.
Nobody cares.
Nobody loves me.
Maybe I'll go eat worms.

x2) Cincinnati-letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x2) UChicago-letter
Pitt- phone call
UC-Davis: Email

(2) Cincinnati-letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x3) UChicago-letter
(x2) Pitt- phone call
Michigan email

Got a letter from Duke last week.

No letters for me and I interviewed at some places where you guys have gotten letters. No luv, not even a hug.

think they send them to everyone they're gonna rank? or just the top few? looks like i might be flippin burgers near the in and out next year

You guys got phone calls from Indy? When I was on the interview, they made it a specific point to mention that there would be no contact. I was pretty surprised to get the update email.

Cinci sent out a USB flash drive with the resident lunch time presentation on it.

(2) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH-phone call
Fresno-XMas card
Duke-letter
(x3) UChicago-letter
(x2) Pitt- phone call
Michigan email

Yup...just got the flash drive today as well. When I first saw it, I thought it was a bottle opener and was so stoked b/c I needed one. :D

Anyways, I've been trying to set up a second look there for this week since last week, but the coordinator is not picking up her phone (i've even left two messages), weird.

Anyways, I've been trying to set up a second look there for this week since last week, but the coordinator is not picking up her phone (i've even left two messages), weird.

That is weird. Keep trying if you can still make it out there. UC certainly spends more than most programs for recruiting.

You guys got phone calls from Indy? When I was on the interview, they made it a specific point to mention that there would be no contact. I was pretty surprised to get the update email.

Im with you. I specifically remember Dr. Chisholm saying that they respect candidates privacy and would not contact any applicants and to not let that be a sign of disinterest. Its weird that they would call.

That is weird. Keep trying if you can still make it out there. UC certainly spends more than most programs for recruiting.

Well if two phone messages and an email don't get me a response, I'm assuming they don't want me at UC next year. ;)

For the record, I show up in the background during the presentation. That thumb drive is nice though.

Darn, you win! A piece of me didn't make one of the pictures, but I was standing next to the person who was at the foot of the bed who took one of them while they were preparing to intubate :D Haha

valentine's day may be approaching but I've received no love-no letters-no emails and no calls-I'm not the strongest candidate, but should be on a couple of lists-somewhere. Do you think they only contact their top choices-or everyone they rank? By THEY-I mean the programs that do communicate.

valentine's day may be approaching but I've received no love-no letters-no emails and no calls-I'm not the strongest candidate, but should be on a couple of lists-somewhere. Do you think they only contact their top choices-or everyone they rank? By THEY-I mean the programs that do communicate.

Got my cincinnati goods today-did they "recruit" this much last year? Or is this a new tactic?

Ziffy-did you interview at one or some of the above programs? If you have and have not received any letter, maybe there is an address mistake in your ERAS? The other option is, of course, you are not ranked by them. I just don't see that as being likely though...good luck-i'm sure it will all work out
streetdoc

(2) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card!
(x2) Emory - letter
Georgetown - letter
Grand Rapids-phone call
Indiana - 2 phone calls
(x2) UConn-email
UT-Houston - email
Maine-email
Mayo-letter
MCG-email
MGH/BWH- 2 phone calls
Fresno-XMas card, email
Duke-letter
(x3) UChicago-letter
(x2) Pitt- phone call
(x2) UC-Davis: Email
(x2) UMichigan: email

A USB flash drive? WTF? Does NRMP allow that?

It has the residents' presentation/program info that was presented to us and that many of the applicants ask for. I like mine.

And no one has called me yet telling me how much they love me. :mad: