US Army Veterinary Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxbox

CSU PVM Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in regards to the US Army Vet Corps Health Profession Scholarship? I have been looking into ways to pay for vet school (I figure I will be roughly $200,000 in debt when done, including tuition and cost living loans I will need, and that number is somewhat scary!!)

The scholarship itself is great: (from http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/hpsp.html_
What Does the Army Pay For?
  • Tuition: You must be enrolled in an accredited college of veterinary medicine program in the United States to apply.
  • Book/Fees/Reimbursables: The Army will pay for required books, rental of nonexpendable equipment, and most academic fees.
  • Monthly Stipend: A generous monthly stipend of over $1200.00 will be provided for the 10 ½ months of each school year.
  • Army Officer Pay: For the remaining six weeks of the school year, you will receive the full pay and allowances offered a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve.
  • Promotions: You'll be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve. After graduation and entrance on active duty, you'll be promoted to Captain, which means more pay. Your salary will increase through the years with promotions, time in service, and annual cost of living increases. You'll also receive a monthly non-taxable allowance for your food and housing.
However, you are then bound to 3 years active duty and then 5 years on reserve... I would be willing to do that as it seems the 3 years active duty you are mostly spending time working in various veterinary jobs in the US... I am just nervous about potentially having to engage in combat... And I could not find a clear cut answer on the website if that is a real possibility... Anyone with some more information?? any thoughts and comments are much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

i doubt you would ever engage in combat...you would be a very expensive asset to the army. you might follow the troops and inspect food and take care of animals in combat zones. i have heard that you mostly do food inspection during your time in the army and have no choice of where you will be going.

I actually spoke with a recruiter about this...not that I could ever go into combat - which I told him...

It is pretty much as you described, and I think the application for the scholarship must be submitted by april. This is the next time that applications will be reviewed. Unfortunately, the man I spoke with wasn't overly familiar with the vet corps, but he was very nice. He said that if you don't get accepted for the scholarship, you are under no obligation to the army. The 3 years of reserve time is news to me though. I was under the impression that it was simply 1 year for each year of school that the army pays for.

The only reason i considered this at all was also due to the debt. I already owe so much that the combined amount after vet school (if I get in somewhere) is going to be incredible, and not in a good way! I think that most of the time would be spent inspecting food, with some dedicated to the service animals. Though this is not what I want to spend my life doing, the amount of debt would be so much less! If you decide to stay in the service, you can also specialize in other fields involved in vet med - at the government's expense!

I know this is surely not for everyone, perhaps not even me, but it is an option that not everyone is aware of. I'd say, if you don't mind the service, it's not the worst thing in the world. (still, the combat thing scares me to no end...)

Oh, and I think the other branches of service offer the same thing, not just the army.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was thinking about the same exact thing today! glad somebody else posted about it... it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all... but i really don't know. i have a friend in med school with pretty much the same scholarship deal and i was going to ask her about it.

If accepted into vet school this year, I plan to call around and see if I can talk to any of my school’s faculty/graduates that have been in the service to ask about their experiences. It’s true that the army wouldn’t spend $100,000 to just make you drive a truck in Baghdad, but with our current situation and leadership, if it happened to me I wouldn’t be entirely surprised. It just seems wrong for me to sign on a dotted line to give the army complete control of how I serve them, including the small possibility of armed combat, when I have religious and moral objections to U.S. policy. Kind of a lie on my part I mean.

this is one of the most tempting idiotic things i've ever considered.

i've purposefully blown it off because i know the more i look at it, the more interested i'll be. like seaturtlegirl, my debt is already extraordinary. it would be bliss to stop collecting debt now, and have a guaranteed paycheck after graduation. hell, in 8 years, you'll be 8 years older anyway. rather have no debt on vet school, or 8 years of interest? i suppose a drawback to be considered would be employer reluctance to hire someone in equine surgery after having spent 3 years poking red meat with a stick on a daily basis.

thanks soxbox, now i really have to look into this. ha.

Emio... I have to agree 100% with you... Ive got a good amount of debt from undergrad and grad school that I am already struggling to pay back... Ive known about this scholarship for years but purposely never really looked into it... Now that vet school is a reality and I have started filling out the financial aid stuff, once again, I stumbled upon this... Overall it doesnt sound that horrible, and the idea of only 8 years of my life to be debt free isnt too shabby... otherwise I am looking at like 30 years to pay back over $250,000... There were a couple students that I met that were part of this program... at the time they said it was great... but that was when they were still in school. I would love to get in touch with them now and see how life as a vet in the army really is!

Emio... I have to agree 100% with you... Ive got a good amount of debt from undergrad and grad school that I am already struggling to pay back... Ive known about this scholarship for years but purposely never really looked into it... Now that vet school is a reality and I have started filling out the financial aid stuff, once again, I stumbled upon this... Overall it doesnt sound that horrible, and the idea of only 8 years of my life to be debt free isnt too shabby... otherwise I am looking at like 30 years to pay back over $250,000... There were a couple students that I met that were part of this program... at the time they said it was great... but that was when they were still in school. I would love to get in touch with them now and see how life as a vet in the army really is!
WOW. if you can get in touch with real, live military vets, that'd be perfect! i'm one of only two pre-vetters at my small jesuit institution, so our advisor really cant help us out too much with options such as this. please keep us updated if you are able to contact any of those students! man, it'd be nice to know what their requirements are upon service.

I'm glad someone posted this topic, becasue I just got an e-mail for a recruiter yesterday, and I have been looking into the scholarship some more. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not we would be required to go through all the physical training (like boot camp) that other army members typically go to? Since I am not big on the whole push-ups thing, this is kinda intimadating:eek:
Here are some interesting facts that were in the e-mail though: "get to perform rotations at some the Army's top medical facilities in Hawaii, Washington, Texas, Washington D.C., Georgia and many other locations," and "...provides food safety and security inspections for all of the Armed Services. We also are responsible for providing care to Military Working Dogs, ceremonial horses, working animals of many Department of Homeland Security organizations, and pets owned by service members."

I would love every aspect of that job except 1: working in a combat zone, i.e. Iraq. However the rotations around the US sound awesome. My guess is you have to go through the physical training, because you may be an expensive soldier but technically you're still a soldier and more likely to go into combat than say a civilian.

The recruiter I spoke with said that the physical aspect of training is nothing like the boot camp tht enlisted individuals must go through. I think this is because you come out as an officer. I have the application, and it is very basic, name, history, etc (just kinda long).

I have pretty much decided that if :scared: i get in somewhere, I will probabaly apply. Besides, applying is no promise that you will be accepted! (although, it seems like most people here are very smart, and have the stats to get in!)

As for the combat (or should I say the Iraq issue), there are significantly less vets present at a base than regular doctors. This leads me to believe that the liklihood of having to go there is much less than if we were in human medicine. Also, although Iraq surely comes to mind for most of us, we have to remember that there are troops all over the world - so, you could end up in Hawaii, which wouldn't raise any complaints from me!:thumbup:

You do have to go through training but it is not the intense boot camp. You need to meet the minimum requirements set for all officers. They also have a great opportunities for residency and specialization. Plus you would get a great salary and government benefits. I was thinking about it myself...

As mkata said you do have to go through training as an officer, which you are initially commisioned as a Second Lieutenant while still in vet school, so this requires you go to OTC (Officer Training Camp), which is far shorter and far less intense than boot camp for enlisted. You are required however to have certain physical capabilities because you may be put in intense situations.

As far as locations where you can be stationed there are not veterinary bases in areas of current concern including Iraq. You can find a list of places you could possibly be stationed on the Army website.

The scholarship sounds like an awesome opportunity for those not bound to one place or a who have family willing to move a lot. Though you can request to stay in certain areas, if they need spots to be filled you may be required to move unexpectedly like an other military personnel.

One more note, I am not sure about this but I think you automatically owe 3 years, plus however many years they pay for school so it seems like a minimum of 6 years. I never got a straight answer from the recrutiing officer I talked to.

If anyone has talked to a working military vet definitely post about!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed a recruiter over the weekend and here is what she responded... I had asked 3 questions... 1. What is the eligibility criteria for appointment as a commissioned officer? 2. What exactly is the 5 year commitment in the individual ready reserve? 3. What are the chances of having to serve in direct combat?

So here was the response:

Thank you for your interest in the Army Medical Department. Here are your answers.

1. The eligibility criteria for appointment as a commissioned officer refers to the rules for applying for an officer position. For example: you must be single with no children or married with 2 or less children (married with more than two children or a single parent, waiver may be considered), you must be of the age limit, and have no law violations above traffic, as well as PT and weight standards. It is just basically saying you must meet all of the standards that the Army sets for officers.

2. The active duty service obligation is three years for receiving HPSP. You will have a 5 year IRR obligation following your active duty is only like an on call status. You will not train, drill or serve, but in case of an emergency if you are needed you can be called back to serve within those 5 years.

3. Your chances of seeing combat are directly dependent on what skill you enlist for, where you are stationed, what your unit mission is, what your mission in that unit is and the volatility of global politics. Based on those factors, I cannot even attempt to predict the probability of you seeing combat.

HEALTH PROFESSIONS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM (HPSP) (Active duty):

The HPSP offers one, two and three year scholarships to veterinary students. We unfortunately don't have any four-year scholarships. You would apply as a first year vet student for the board held in the spring of that year. The scholarships are based on academic performance, leadership potential and other factors.

If you qualify, you could earn a full-tuition scholarship, plus a monthly stipend of over $1,200 for 10 ½ months of each school year and reimbursement for books. The remaining 1½ months of the year you'll receive officer's pay as a Second Lieutenant on active duty.

* Be a United States citizen.
* Must qualify for appointment as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR).
* You must be enrolled in an accredited DVM program located in the United States or Puerto Rico.
* Must maintain full-time student status during the entire length of the program.
* Active duty service obligation is three years for HPSP.
* Upon graduation from veterinary school, individuals are re-commissioned as Captains in the Veterinary Corps.
* Be no older than 42 years old upon entering into active duty.

If you feel that you meet these qualifications and would like to speak to a health care recruiter in your area, please ensure that you have provided me with your valid contact information (telephone number and physical address) and the best time to reach you in your reply e-mail.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you again.

Respectfully,

Mrs. Rachel L. Kowalski
Cyber Recruiter
United States Army Recruiting Command

Yeah, when I talked to a recruiter they said they would pay for all 4 years, not 3. Either the budget has changed in the past couple of years (likely), the recruiter doesn't know what he's talking about (also likely), or he's lying. Always read the fine print and never believe what they're telling you without some type of documentation.

Yeah, when I talked to a recruiter they said they would pay for all 4 years, not 3. Either the budget has changed in the past couple of years (likely), the recruiter doesn't know what he's talking about (also likely), or he's lying. Always read the fine print and never believe what they're telling you without some type of documentation.

Well I was not gonna say anything since everyone here seemed so excited but...
When I was going to apply 4 years ago (started the app process) things were slowly revealed to me (even though I asked them to tell me everything straight out.) I eventually did not apply because I was learning new stipulations each time I met with them. The first thing I learned is that only human medical students are eligible for all 4 years of payment (maybe that changed by now I don't know) but veterinary 3 was the most you could get. BUT you still owe 4 years of ACTIVE duty after in addition to the "inactive years" reguardless of which scholarship you get (be it one, two, or three years). Then I learned that you are required to do at least one year active duty in another country (and YES it is possible, ahem more like probable that will be in a war area). Oh yeah and by the way I hope you want to either do all wellness (read vaccinations) on base and refer any sick small animals (if you want small animal), or enter research for biomedical weapons............

But are these just small things to pay for not being in debt when you graduate? That is for you to decide. :rolleyes:
I am now happily going to enter the field I have wanted to for years, carrying $200K + loans but have no obligations to anyone soooo I made my choice:smuggrin:

This whole thing is getting so sketchy that I'm definitely not applying now.

When I was going to apply 4 years ago (started the app process) things were slowly revealed to me (even though I asked them to tell me everything straight out.) I eventually did not apply because I was learning new stipulations each time I met with them. The first thing I learned is that only human medical students are eligible for all 4 years of payment (maybe that changed by now I don't know) but veterinary 3 was the most you could get. BUT you still owe 4 years of ACTIVE duty after in addition to the "inactive years" reguardless of which scholarship you get (be it one, two, or three years). Then I learned that you are required to do at least one year active duty in another country (and YES it is possible, ahem more like probable that will be in a war area). Oh yeah and by the way I hope you want to either do all wellness (read vaccinations) on base and refer any sick small animals (if you want small animal), or enter research for biomedical weapons............

But are these just small things to pay for not being in debt when you graduate? That is for you to decide. :rolleyes:
I am now happily going to enter the field I have wanted to for years, carrying $200K + loans but have no obligations to anyone soooo I made my choice:smuggrin:

three years of wellness exams for a free ride through school?? hell yes, count me in! i know, i know, its not free.... i guess the only reliable opinion would be those in the military and esp the vets themselves? hmmm... maybe i can find one. :luck:

three years of wellness exams for a free ride through school?? hell yes, count me in! i know, i know, its not free.... i guess the only reliable opinion would be those in the military and esp the vets themselves? hmmm... maybe i can find one. :luck:

Just remember these are the first few years you are out. Time to build a solid background for your career. If that is small animal medicine and surgery for you may not be such a good idea, well at least I don't think it is:cool:

And also, in all their literature they keep mentioning how “competitive” the Health scholarships are. Are people really falling all over one another trying to get these, or is the competitive statement just an exaggeration?

Just remember these are the first few years you are out. Time to build a solid background for your career. If that is small animal medicine and surgery for you may not be such a good idea, well at least I don't think it is:cool:

to each his own, i suppose. that's what the rest of my life is for. not paying off debt (muahaha).

i'm not an advocate per se... i just think the only dark side is the potential for combat. no thanks.

Just wanted to chime in with some info. I have been on active duty in the Navy for over 20 years, I have worked with several Army Veterinarians who oversaw the lab animal programs at 2 facilities, one who inspected food stores for the military and others who worked at the small animal veterinary clinics on various installations. The Army is the only service with Veterinarians although there are clinics on most larger military installations. As far as the question about combat, it is a very remote possibility. The vets I have talked to have all said surgical skills are not necessarily species dependent. Trauma is trauma and as a last resort, dentists and vets would be needed to augment the surgical teams. As far as the comments on actual physical combat, enagaged with the enemy it is not very plausible. Best wishes to all.

one day long ago when i was thinking about doing the same thing, i stumbled on some hearsay someplace or another that the u.s. government now has a loan forgiveness program for vets. i couldn't find much information other than that, but i did find a site that suggested rural area vets (www.ruralareavet.org) might be participating in that. i'm still 4 years from graduation, but that's something i intend to look into further when i do graduate.

anybody know anything more on that one?

It's come up in this thread but for all of you class of 2011 considering this... Currently, the scholarship is for a maximum of 3 years and you apply during your first year of veterinary school. We had recruiters come in the fall and if you are interested you have a lot of opportunities to talk with them and contact vet corps members. The application is due in April (I think) so you have almost a full year to feel it out, decide how much vet school is going to cost and see how much debt you can feel comfortable with. Also, the recruiter that talked to us said that the acceptance rate for 3-year scholarships is about 25% whereas if you decide 2nd year to apply for a 2-year scholarship (still 2 years paid for) the acceptance rate is almost 100% (basically, if you are qualified, you've got it).

one day long ago when i was thinking about doing the same thing, i stumbled on some hearsay someplace or another that the u.s. government now has a loan forgiveness program for vets. i couldn't find much information other than that

Yep. The legislation for the loan forgiveness program has been passed as part of the National Veterinary Medical Services Act, but the program has not yet been implemented.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov04/041115r.asp

In December 2005, the government was poised to appropriate funds for the program, but I'm not sure whether that occurred or not:

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/dec05/051201c.asp

From that LA vet article in the NY Times, it sounds like state loan forgiveness programs will be the best bet in the near future. I'm graduating in 4 years, so hopefully something will fall into place then :)

I went through the whole process last fall/spring. I was really lucky that I had a great recruiter, but I do know some people who did not get the scholarship. I think you need to really think about what motivates you as a person before you apply. The same goes for any field of medicine. There are types of medicine that fit certain people. Let me know if anybody has any specific questions

I had a question about how they felt about gays in the veterinary corps. It seems like a cool opportunity to be debt free (except 1 year), travel, work with several species, and get paid well, but as a gay guy, im not sure where i stand. Im not out and proud or anything like that but i also don't hide who i am. Does dont ask dont tell apply to this too?

Since we're kind of on the topic of finding ways to pay for vet school....

have any of you other females out there considered selling their eggs?

Sorry this is soooo off topic! But some co-workers at work were telling me that they have sold their eggs. And one girl told me that they gave her $4000 for her egg!

And I was thinking... if you got into vet school, I'd suppose they'd consider that a perk and just offer you more $$. =)

Sure this is probably not enough to cover vet school expenses at all... but it might help a little and I was considering it... any other thoughts?

I had a question about how they felt about gays in the veterinary corps. It seems like a cool opportunity to be debt free (except 1 year), travel, work with several species, and get paid well, but as a gay guy, im not sure where i stand. Im not out and proud or anything like that but i also don't hide who i am. Does dont ask dont tell apply to this too?

I know I'm going to come off sounding wayyy too boorish no matter how I say this, so I'm just going to spit it out and be done with it so we can move forward - you do realize the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps is part of the, well, U.S. Army right?

Despite what you may have recently seen/heard in the news about a homosexual medic serving openly, the policy is indeed the same as for the "real Army" - i.e., Don't ask, Don't tell. If you want to serve don't volunteer your sexual orientation, don't discuss it with anyone else in uniform, don't get caught engaging in sexual relations with members of the same sex and don't use it as a "safety net" to get out if you decide you don't want to deploy to Iraq or you made a mistake commissioning.

A couple things:
1. If you're in this as a way to pay off/defray student debt, you are in it for the wrong reason. Same with "travel" or "working with several species". More than happy to discuss this more in depth.

2. I suggest you spend some time reading the threads over on the "military medicine" folder. While we don't have the exact same issues, there are some valid comparisons that can be drawn.

3. Talk to as many Captains/Majors currently on Active Duty/Reserves as you can; the more you do, the clearer the picture of what it is really like will be. Don't be shy! I've never known a military colleague who refused to talk to someone interested in joining, whether student or already graduated, when they cold-called.

4. I am more than happy to talk with anyone about my time on active duty and now molding away in the IRR whilst I decide if I really want to go back into the uniform as a Reservist or not. I always endeavor to give an honest account of the good and the bad. If you want to talk in real time, just PM me your telephone number and a good time to call (along with what time zone).

My Boss was am Army Microbiologist at Fort Detrick for 20 years, he has many friends in Vet command and put me in touch with one. Here is what I found out.

1. HPSP is only 3 years for Veterinarians. If you choose to serve longer as an active duty Vet you can receive an additional 110K to payoff your first year (this is payable over a three year period)

2. Most positions in the Army for the Vet Corps is food-animal/public health, animal care, and research.

3. If you are thinking about an advanced degree program after the DVM you must wait until you have completed your active duty requirements.

4. You are a non-combatant and do not have to enter basic training. You do have to complete the officer's training course and a special course for army health professions.

My boss retired as a full Col. from the Army and for the most part enjoyed his career, but hated the bureaucracy.

I think the Army vet corps is a good way to go if you are interested in Food-animal/public health (i.e. meat inspections) or research. From what I was told those small animal and equine jobs are few and far between, which is something you should know if that is your end career goal.

For those of us OOS in huge debt there are other options besides the Army...

USDA has a program for food-animal/public health. (scholarship & loan repayment)
Most states now have food-animal loan repayment programs.
NIH offers loan repayment to Vets in research who receive funded R01s.

Watch H.R.1232 Veterinary Public Health Workforce Expansion Act of 2007 ... I have written several letters to my Rep & Senators asking for loan repayment options to be included in this bill.

Unfortunately, I haven't come across any good options for people in small animal if I do I will post that info on SDN.

As for me I am interested in lab animal medicine and research so the Army may be a good fit, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

For the National Veterinary Services Medical Act:

This is all I know that has been implemented:

USAjobs.gov - NAHERC Veterinary Medical Officer
If the link doesn't work go to USAjobs.gov and search "Veterinary Medical Officer" or "VMO" or "NAHERC-2007-0008"

Basically you apply to have your name on a list and in an emergency you can be "activated" and receive special compensation from the government.

Just a couple of updates from a 3-year HPSPer -
The stipend is currently 1600 a month, and is going up to 1900 in July.
If you are thinking about applying GET IT DONE RIGHT NOW! Applications go to boards in April, but my recruiter was telling me he wants them submitted by March 15. This is because they may find errors, and you need them fixed before the app goes to boards.

This is a competitive scholarship. Very competitive for the 3 year. 64 people went after something like 18 slots last year, and these weren't average joe schmoes. I got Order of Merit listed (essentially weight listed) with a 3.94, involved in various clubs and leadership experience. Luckily I was number 2 on the waitlist, and in October, a re-evaluation of funds added 4 more 3-year slots to the list. I was fully counting on that semester's tuition being prorated so that they wouldn't pay for it all (as was written in the contract), but they covered it.

I started off pretty gung-ho dairy practice, then started considering USDA, and then looked into the Army. I like the idea of food inspection, although when you do it for the Army, meat is not included while in the US. They let the USDA take care of that. I'm seriously looking in to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology residency after I finish my 3 year service obligation. It really depends on how I feel about the army after my first couple years though. As far as skills go, one of the clinicians here at MSU said he wishes everyone would do the Army for a little while. It teaches a lot of non-medical skills that are very valuable to a practicing veterinarian. Sure, I'm a little worried about my medical skills beginning to atrophy, but I'll do my best to assure that doesn't happen.
Just my 2 cents on things.

Your statement...
"research for biomedical weapons" ... is totally false!

The US government does not develop biomedical weapons!

In 1969 & 1970 an Executive Order issued by President Nixon, suspended development of offensive biological weapon programs. The US, UK and USSR ratified the UN's Biological Weapons Convention in 1972, the treaty went into effect in 1975.

All the US Army research on Infectious Disease is for defensive countermeasures, detection, and development of vaccines and therapeutics.

As a collaborator with several individuals at USAMRIID at Fort Detrick working on a vaccine project with the Army I take offense to your statement.

Please make sure you are properly informed before posting!

Your statement...
"research for biomedical weapons" ... is totally false!

The US government does not develop biomedical weapons!

In 1969 & 1970 an Executive Order issued by President Nixon, suspended development of offensive biological weapon programs. The US, UK and USSR ratified the UN's Biological Weapons Convention in 1972, the treaty went into effect in 1975.

All the US Army research on Infectious Disease is for defensive countermeasures, detection, and development of vaccines and therapeutics.

As a collaborator with several individuals at USAMRIID at Fort Detrick working on a vaccine project with the Army I take offense to your statement.

Please make sure you are properly informed before posting!

I will not argue this, as it was not MY statement, but my recruiters. And as I said before, the reason I did not continue with the scholarship is because I felt that I was not properly informed. So calm down.......

What I was trying to get at was to MAKE sure you read all the fine print and ask many questions, many times, so you know what you are getting into.

And I believe she was referring to biomedical weapon defense (reasearching what to look for and how to stop spread) as when I was looking to apply was in 2003, and we were at the point of worrying about smallpox being used if I remember correctly.

I will not argue this, as it was not MY statement, but my recruiters. And as I said before, the reason I did not continue with the scholarship is because I felt that I was not properly informed. So calm down.......

What I was trying to get at was to MAKE sure you read all the fine print and ask many questions, many times, so you know what you are getting into.

And I believe she was referring to biomedical weapon defense (reasearching what to look for and how to stop spread) as when I was looking to apply was in 2003, and we were at the point of worrying about smallpox being used if I remember correctly.

Sorry for the knee jerk reaction there.

I'm sensitive to this issue because of some problems I have had being associated with Army research in the past.

I sure hope she was talking about defense development otherwise she is very misinformed!

Sorry for the knee jerk reaction there.

I'm sensitive to this issue because of some problems I have had being associated with Army research in the past.

I sure hope she was talking about defense development otherwise she is very misinformed!

No problem:laugh: I thought it was kinda cute that I was defending a post I made over a year ago:D

My Boss was am Army Microbiologist at Fort Detrick for 20 years, he has many friends in Vet command and put me in touch with one. Here is what I found out.

1. HPSP is only 3 years for Veterinarians. If you choose to serve longer as an active duty Vet you can receive an additional 110K to payoff your first year (this is payable over a three year period)

EVERYONE who joins the military who does not have prior military service accrues a military service obligation (MSO) of eight (8) years. If you don't do eight years on active duty, you will do them in the Reserves or the IRR. The only way out altogether is if you're chaptered out for the appropriate reason. Depending on the reason, HPSPers can be held to repaying any monies Uncle Sam lent them.

If you Commission, you are obligating yourself to an active duty service obligation (ADSO) of three (3) years. If you choose to resign your AD commisision after completing that time, you still have five years to complete in the Reserves or the IRR.

I cannot emphasize the "can" of that "can receive an additional..." hard enough. It is not guaranteed. That amount, I assume, is through taking advantage of the SLRP/federal act that was passed. Even if you are active duty, you have to apply and there are a limited number of awards. If there is a new retention bonus I haven't heard about for AD, then I stand corrected and someone needs to point me to the memorandum. The only retention bonus I am aware of is the one for Reservists right now.

2. Most positions in the Army for the Vet Corps is food-animal/public health, animal care, and research.

Most positions are food/public health, a little animal care, and research if you do longterm health education training (LTHET) in the appropriate MOS. There are a few Captains that fall into duty assignments at research facilities, but they are few and far between and usually reserved for those lifers interested in being a Charlie/Echo to begin with.

As a shiny new Alpha, in general, 66-75% of your time will be devoted to the public health/food safety and security missions and crap that goes along with them even though the 25-33% you devote to animal care will try to take up 80% of your time. That is assuming you're slotted into an OIC/Section Chief assignment. If you're slotted into a Branch Chief assignment, 100% of your time will be devoted to being the boss to the other Captains in your AO as well as your Romeo's if there is a large TISA component to your Branch and our share of the sanitary audits/food inspection. Animal care will come as you have the opportunity to squeeze it in once your other duties are filled first.

Understand there is wide variablity in these generalities. Why? Because it all depends on where you are and what your supervisors feel the Vet Corps METL should be. Obviously, your specific split will be skewed if you have 40 sanitary audits or 300 government owned horses or 200+ military working dogs in your AO.

3. If you are thinking about an advanced degree program after the DVM you must wait until you have completed your active duty requirements.

Not quite. You must complete one OCONUS duty assignment, have completed both phases of C3, submitted your LTHET packet and been selected and as a rule are newly promoted or within spitting distance of promotion (on the list) to Major.

For a brand new year 0 Captain straight out of OBLC and veterinary school, that is around the year 5-7 mark and highly dependent on how high speed you are.

If you come into the VC with the enough constructive credit from being in private practice, you can and are fast-tracked through the lifecycle. There are a couple from my OBC class who met all these criteria inside our first three years on Active Duty.

If anyone wants a copy of the average VC Officer lifecycle, IM me your email and I'll see if I can dredge it up for you.

4. You are a non-combatant and do not have to enter basic training. You do have to complete the officer's training course and a special course for army health professions.

This is not entirely accurate, either.

We, even though "part" of AMEDD, are not afforded the classification as non-combatants like other medical personnel (MDs/ODs/Nurses/etc). If push came to shove, you are expected to pick up a weapon and start firing like the Soldier you are. Sorry.

No Officer does "basic training". At least not like the 18 yo with the GED does. There is Officer Basic Course (OBC) - although as I understand it they've changed its name to something silly like Officer Basic Leadership Course (OBLC) and then promptly shortened it by a couple weeks when it wasn't long enough to begin with.

The "special course", I am assuming, is the 5-week (or shorter if your HPSP?) Corps-specific track tacked on at the end.

My boss retired as a full Col. from the Army and for the most part enjoyed his career, but hated the bureaucracy.

I think the Army vet corps is a good way to go if you are interested in Food-animal/public health (i.e. meat inspections) or research. From what I was told those small animal and equine jobs are few and far between, which is something you should know if that is your end career goal.

For those of us OOS in huge debt there are other options besides the Army...

The Army is a good way to go if you are looking at what you can do beyond being an "animal doctor". Particularly in public health, pathology or R&D. Not sure where you got "meat inspection" from.

There are a lot of companion animal residencies awarded in the LTHET program. Granted the bulk of the awards are for MPHs/PhDs, but there's more than a couple foxtrot slots awarded every cycle. However, nobody stays "clinical" their entire career. You do your utilization tour and then start climbing the ladder of Leadership. Somebody has to be the next Corps Chief... You will usually get further (i.e., COL and up versus LTC) if you stay in the public health (Bravo) and R&D (Charlie/Echo) side of the Corps versus the clinical (Foxtrot) side. Although the current VETCOM Commander (named after COL Walker died) is a Foxtrot, so sometimes it does happen.

I've said it elsewhere but will continue to say it until I am dead. If your only reason for being interested in the Vet Corps is because of money and educational debt, you are doing it for the wrong reason. Do yourself and the Corps a favor; look into APHIS or USDA. Everyone, including yourself, will thank you.

Just a couple of updates from a 3-year HPSPer -

[snip]

This is a competitive scholarship. Very competitive for the 3 year. 64 people went after something like 18 slots last year, and these weren't average joe schmoes.

[snip]

I started off pretty gung-ho dairy practice, then started considering USDA, and then looked into the Army. I like the idea of food inspection, although when you do it for the Army, meat is not included while in the US. They let the USDA take care of that. I'm seriously looking in to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology residency after I finish my 3 year service obligation. It really depends on how I feel about the army after my first couple years though. As far as skills go, one of the clinicians here at MSU said he wishes everyone would do the Army for a little while. It teaches a lot of non-medical skills that are very valuable to a practicing veterinarian. Sure, I'm a little worried about my medical skills beginning to atrophy, but I'll do my best to assure that doesn't happen.
Just my 2 cents on things.

1. The thing you should be asking yourself is why has the Veterinary Corps had to steadily ask for and, so far been awarded, more and more scholarships every year since at least 2003? The number of HPSP slots awarded to the VC has more than doubled (tripled? more?) in the last five years.

Another is to ask why has the Veterinary Corps had to ask for, and be approved for, a retention bonus in the Reserves two years ago?

Or why the Veterinary Corps had to ask for, and be approved for, Active Duty Officers to be wooed to staying on active duty beyond their initial ADSO with the SLRP/federal program starting last year?

Rumination material, anyways.

2. Depending on where your state-side duty assignment is and what sanitary audits are attached to it, oh, you'll be looking at meat alright. Just not in a slaugher plant.

3. Your comment about the LTHET/AFIP makes me suspect you may be missing some pieces in the puzzle. IM me if you want to talk more in-depth about it or even via telephone.

4. Your professor is a maroon. Sorry to be so blunt. Viewing the Corps as a revolving door does nothing but actually harm the Corps in the long run. The reasons are too numerous to address here, but feel free to contact me about. If you want to see what happens when a Corps has been practicing the philosophy of "acceptable attrition" of senior Captains/Majors for an extended period of time - go read the Medical Corps bitch board.

5. Hard to atrophy what you haven't exercised...;)

Just a little good-humored ribbing, there.

Seriously, though. I'm beginning to find it humorous that fear is voiced over and over, yet isn't even on the radar once you're in the thick of it. Nevermind the fact I don't believe there's been a veterinarian to date who ETS'd and failed to get a job because of it. If they failed to find a job, it was because of being incompetent to begin with. Usually well before every donning a set of ACUs...

There are quarterly proficiency minimums you have to meet in IM/surgery/training cases plus the fact you can moonlight. Of course, a lot depends on your Commander in both regards.

I'm on a role now... :)

The first thing I learned is that only human medical students are eligible for all 4 years of payment (maybe that changed by now I don't know) but veterinary 3 was the most you could get. BUT you still owe 4 years of ACTIVE duty after in addition to the "inactive years" reguardless of which scholarship you get (be it one, two, or three years).

Yeah, I understand the information is "old". But just to clarify:

Regardless of which year scholarship you get (1, 2 or 3 years) you owe an ADSO of eight years, three years of which must be spent on AD, after you graduate.

There is, in theory (i.e., don't know the current offering status on it), a 4-year scholarship availabe to veterinary students. In this instance, the ADSO is still eight years but four years must be spent on AD.

Veterinary Corps HPSP website: http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/hpsp/hpsp_index.html

...to post on this board. For tonight, anyways. :D

If you're not prior service or HPSP, you are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). DO NOT waive your right and decline it on the DD Form 2366.

HPSPers: I'm not sure where you fall these days. I would say to err on the side of caution and do not waive the MGIB on a 2366 at recruitment/OBLC. Once you are on active duty and get all settled in at your first duty site, contact Edu and get them to look into it. Be sure they can provide you with a hard copy specifically stating HPSPers are not eligible.

I was wondering how the summer training is incorporated into coursework. You have to do 6wks every year. But supposing you have clinics? At UF, the first summer you have off, but the second and third you are in clinics. Does HPSP take this into account?

i wonder if the us army vet corp will pay for education done in a carib vet school because a carib vet school is technically "accredited"...hm