rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serotonin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is the US News and World Report the gold standard for clinical psych PhD rankings? I have that list, but was wondering if anyone had links to any other rankings done by other groups.

Don't worry, I know rankings aren't the be all and end all of eveything, but I am curious.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i think those are the most recent rankings (from what i've found). i know there is a different ranking in terms of faculty production, but i dont have the link to that.

problem with rankings is that not all of the schools have professors doing what you're interested in!

i think those are the most recent rankings (from what i've found). i know there is a different ranking in terms of faculty production, but i dont have the link to that.

problem with rankings is that not all of the schools have professors doing what you're interested in!

It is from an article:
Roy, K.M., Roberts, M.C., & Stewart, P.K. (2006). Research productivity and academic lineage in clinical psychology: Who is training the faculty to do research? Journal of Clinical Psychology, 62, 893-905.

Here's a link to a thread on it from the summer:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293644

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that with this year's issue, they have a separate rating for clinical programs in the health sciences division. So, it's grouped with nursing and not the other psych departments. Does anyone else find that odd?

Chronicle of Higher Education has a new ranking out for tons of doctoral programs based on data like publications from faculty, grants, etc. I can't remember the link but somewhere I did see the top ten. It wasn't at all the places you would think.

I'm surprised U Oregon isn't on that top 10 list. Hmmmmm...

Looks like that top 10 is for counseling, not clinical. That's not my area, so I can't judge how accurate they are.

I like the fact that people are trying to use more objective criteria for ranking programs. U.S. relies completely on faculty subjective ratings of peer programs (and their response rate is horrible), so it lies completely on faculty member's perceptions of programs' prestige. If you think about it, it's a circular process, because rankings impact prestige, which in turn impact rankings. So I like this objective stuff.

It also seems like the rankings based on faculty reports could be very biased by the work of one or two prominent faculty members at the school being ranked (and those professors may not actually be involved in the area of research you are interested in).

If I have a choice between working with a less "famous" professor (based on number of publications, awards, etc.) at a more highly ranked school, or a more "famous" professor at a lower ranking school, I should go with option 2, right?