Just in case you are tired of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/news/0702/gallery.jobs_in_demand/?cnn=yes

"Employee recruiting firms MRINetwork and Spherion helped us pull together a short list of well-paying jobs where the demand for good candidates outstrips the supply"

"Medical science liaisons"

"Typically, MSLs have a Ph.D. in the sciences (e.g., nutritional science), a pharmacy degree (PharmD) or an MD"

"In their first year, MSLs can make between $115,000 to $120,000 plus a 10% to 20% bonus on their base. After 5 years, they can make between $125,000 and $135,000 plus bonus."

130K sure beats the crap out of residents' 7.50/hr.

Members don't see this ad.

One physician (former EM & FP) I worked with started his own EMR company and says he'll never go back. There might be similar opportunities with medical device companies. I helped him with the business side and he's a happy camper. He has plenty of time to spend with his 5 kids and beautiful wife and makes decent cash. Who knows, maybe physicians who want to leave the trenches where medicine happens will have options where they can use their knowledge without some of the downsides of practicing medicines (poor hours, fighting with insurance companies, certain 'challenging' patients). It's always good to have options anyway.

I'm skeptical of that site b/c it talks about how IT programmers can make $80k in Iowa?! Seems kind of optimistic. But that's just from my personal experience. I guess the situation could have changed since I last worked in that field. Anyway, I think a lot of these salary/job articles are kind of hyping the jobs they talk about....makes for better stories than the same old same old.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/news/0702/gallery.jobs_in_demand/?cnn=yes

"Employee recruiting firms MRINetwork and Spherion helped us pull together a short list of well-paying jobs where the demand for good candidates outstrips the supply"

"Medical science liaisons"

"Typically, MSLs have a Ph.D. in the sciences (e.g., nutritional science), a pharmacy degree (PharmD) or an MD"

"In their first year, MSLs can make between $115,000 to $120,000 plus a 10% to 20% bonus on their base. After 5 years, they can make between $125,000 and $135,000 plus bonus."

130K sure beats the crap out of residents' 7.50/hr.

true, but i'm sure they'll require some sort of "experience" beyond just the MD we'll receive after 4th year.

If someone is willing to pay you that much, ask yourself why.

"Pharmaceutical companies employ medical science liaisons (MSLs) to serve as information providers to clients and potential clients -- from insurers to doctors in a medical group."

It sounds like this job involves a lot of marketing and sales. You're basically a marketer or salesperson. If you don't have those skills, you won't be happy or last long.