Is step 2 required for residency programs to make their ROL's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC POST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Does one need to have completed step 2 prior to the whole ophthalmology matching process--ie-prior to residency programs choosing interviewees or prior to residency programs making their ROL's?

2. I scored a 233 on step 1. Should I try and take step 2 early to boost my score at the expense of preparing for an away rotation?

Many thanks to this helpful website.

Members don't see this ad.

1) no
2) yes, if you know you can do sig. better. remember the avg is 231 so statistically you 're above avg.

1) no
2) yes, if you know you can do sig. better. remember the avg is 231 so statistically you 're above avg.

233 is a good score for step 1 and this should allow you to make the cut off for interviews at many middle and lower tier programs. But there is so much more to a good ophtho applicant than your step scores. You should take a step back and try to look at the larger picture and decide what would make you a more desirable applicant. A higher step 2 score may earn you a few more interview offers, but will likely have no bearing on where you fall on their rank list, as personality, commitment, research, LORs etc will likely play a larger role at that stage of process.

233 is a good score for step 1 and this should allow you to make the cut off for interviews at many middle and lower tier programs. But there is so much more to a good ophtho applicant than your step scores. You should take a step back and try to look at the larger picture and decide what would make you a more desirable applicant. A higher step 2 score may earn you a few more interview offers, but will likely have no bearing on where you fall on their rank list, as personality, commitment, research, LORs etc will likely play a larger role at that stage of process.

Exactly - LOR, research, maturity, and personality weigh a lot. I matched at my #1 choice with a comparable step1 and without having taken step2. No one mentioned it during interviews or anything.