Help ranking....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indy8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I would like help in ranking my internal med. Programs.

My top choices are University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin. Both are great programs, but I don’t know which one to put one or two. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you've seen my review of UMinnesota. To update it a bit, everything I've heard about the new PD has continued to be very positive. The Chair is continuing to aggressively move forward with his plan to end overnight call by July 1 and he seems to have good support from the faculty from what I can tell. I was told by a cardiology attending who's seen other places that that the clinical training at the U "amazing" in both breadth and depth. I've also heard from somebody who would know that they have been very close to recruiting a new head of cardiology, which would bring in a ton of money and some big names and energetic faculty to the division. I haven't heard of any significant changes in the EMR at the University, which is disappointing to me. At least the VA and Regions have nice systems. Before interviewing elsewhere I didn't understand how nice our VA is. People who say that all VAs are identical clearly haven't seen ours. Many of my classmates are ranking Minnesota much higher than initially expected because we've seen how our home institution stacks up against some other well respected programs, and I know at least some of our students will be ranking "the U" #1 despite having options to go elsewhere. I'm not familiar with Madison, but my feeling is that Minnesota will soon clearly overshadow Wisconsin and will likely eventually join Michigan, Mayo, and WashU as the premier programs in the midwest.

How about any insight between Iowa and Minnesota

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both places last year and ranked them both in my top 6. The statement about the MSP VA is true but the Madison VA is on equal if not higher footing (and is the newest VA hospital in the country). I found both places to be great.

I think the reasons I shied away from U of Minn were the PD uncertainty at the time (which I'm glad to hear has been taken care of for the better), the 3 distant hospitals (I'm a bike commuter and like living close to work...when you work at 3 geographically disparate hospitals this is tough) and the fact that their Hem/Onc dept has about 3 faculty members who work in solid tumors...if you can't fix it w/ BMT it doesn't matter (this is a dramatic overstatement but it's how the place felt at the time) and as an Onc fast-tracker this was a non-starter for me.

I preferred UW-Madison over U of Minn (one of the best PDs in the country, VA and Univ hospitals across the parking lot from one another, other things I can't think about right now). I think I'd be happy at either program and MSP is probably where I'd prefer to live. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong w/ either place. Good luck.

their Hem/Onc dept has about 3 faculty members who work in solid tumors...if you can't fix it w/ BMT it doesn't matter (this is a dramatic overstatement but it's how the place felt at the time) and as an Onc fast-tracker this was a non-starter for me.
Well, this is the home of the first successful BMT in the world.

I'm interested in Iowa, too. Does anyone have any thoughts on U. Iowa, U. Florida (Jacksonville) or Case Western/MetroHealth? My rank order list is driving me crazy. I'd appreciate any ideas at all..

I interviewed at Iowa and spent a month there. It is a great overall program. I think the most surprising thing about Iowa is the breadth of clinical exposure you get there. It is the only university hospital in the state, so TONS of cases are referred there and there is no shortage of pathology. I preferred that clinical exposure to places like Wisconsin, where I felt the bent was more research/transplant focused. Also, many hospitals in iowa are in small towns so you get patients with limited work-ups, so it's not as if you're approaching a case that's already been worked to death.

The faculty are great people - very approachable and friendly and there are strong fellowships there in pretty much everything. This is a supportive place with great faculty and all the +'s of a major research university. I also think they are currently "reloading" their IM department with new division heads to regain the notoriety they had in the past.

It is in the top 3 of my rank list right now and I'm trying to sort out where to put it in that 3. I think it's a great place and you can't go wrong there. Feel free to contact me with any more questions!

I'm interested in Iowa, too. Does anyone have any thoughts on U. Iowa, U. Florida (Jacksonville) or Case Western/MetroHealth? My rank order list is driving me crazy. I'd appreciate any ideas at all..