Intern hall of shame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimmer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to take a moment to talk about interns and the evil little games they sometimes play.
While on call last night for peds I was trying to get my 2 hours of beauty sleep when the night float intern paged me to tell me she would like me to add one line to a discharge summary I had been updating for a patient. I would like to add that this patient is NOT going home any time in the next week. Then in the morning she was congratulating herself on how nice she was because she did not page me again when she needed a second photocopy of one of my H&Ps.
Please feel free to one up this story. And Polyanna - no I do not need to hear how wonderful and hard working interns really are or how I should feel privileged to do their scut.

Members don't see this ad.

On my SICU rotation, my intern kept going to take 1-2 hour naps without telling me leaving me at the nurses station wondering what the hell I should do. "I'd be right back" apparently meant a enviable 2 hours later.

On my SICU rotation, my intern kept going to take 1-2 hour naps without telling me leaving me at the nurses station wondering what the hell I should do. "I'd be right back" apparently meant a enviable 2 hours later.

I had an attending in the ER who would do that. She would work all day in a clinic, then do lots of ER shifts. She was contantly disappearing for 1-2 hours, falling alseep while checking labs on the computer, while writing prescriptions, and even while suturing one time! At least her husband would drive her home after shifts.

Sorry, that wasn't really an intern story...

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe she has narcolepsy. show some compassion. that was a joke btw.

I had a surgery attending call me at home today to pimp me. I guess he's not an intern but still..

I had a surgery attending call me at home today to pimp me. I guess he's not an intern but still..

I'd call them right back and pimp them on how far you have to stay away from someone who has a restraining order placed on you.

ROFL, I've heard it all now. What the hell is this guy thinking?

My alltime greatest intern BS moment: (its long so bear with me)

We were scheduled for Q4 call and my call night landed on a sunday, monday being a holiday the policy is, students get to go home at 10pm the night before. I said, f*ck it..im not doing anything on monday, I'll stay the night (im not going into peds, I wasn't kissing a$$, I just really don't care). So I stay over night and leave the next day at noon of course then I sleeping the rest of the day away. Now this was the last week of the rotation and the shelf was on friday so I just lost one day of studying. My next scheduled call day would have been thursday but we don't take call the day before the shelf so that should have been my last call day leaving me all week to study. This F*cking bitch changes her call schedule so she can go to a bachlorette party on thursday so she's now scheduled to take call on wednesday. She tells me "well, we're scheduled together so now you have to take call with me on wednesday too" and she takes the liberty of changing my schedule with another student so Im on call on wednesday with her...why? because when we were on call together I did all her f*cking work for her...and this is how she thanks me! The best part is she tells me this ON WEDNESDAY at about 3pm. After my head almost exploded I calmed down and told her "I'm not taking call today, I'll admit patients with you till 5pm and If a patient comes in at 4:59 I'll work them up then Im leaving right after" To which she replies "well, if you think skipping out on your clinical duties is okay then I guess thats your problem". I left at 5pm on the dot. My evaluation from her was a recommended "low-pass" for skipping scheduled call days. Amazing.

Please tell me that you guys were sleeping with these people at some point during the rotation. Because if I wasn't sleeping with you then you shouldn't be calling me at home for anything and you sure as hell shouldn't be changing my call schedule without permission. The balls on these people...

My alltime greatest intern BS moment: (its long so bear with me)

We were scheduled for Q4 call and my call night landed on a sunday, monday being a holiday the policy is, students get to go home at 10pm the night before. I said, f*ck it..im not doing anything on monday, I'll stay the night (im not going into peds, I wasn't kissing a$$, I just really don't care). So I stay over night and leave the next day at noon of course then I sleeping the rest of the day away. Now this was the last week of the rotation and the shelf was on friday so I just lost one day of studying. My next scheduled call day would have been thursday but we don't take call the day before the shelf so that should have been my last call day leaving me all week to study. This F*cking bitch changes her call schedule so she can go to a bachlorette party on thursday so she's now scheduled to take call on wednesday. She tells me "well, we're scheduled together so now you have to take call with me on wednesday too" and she takes the liberty of changing my schedule with another student so Im on call on wednesday with her...why? because when we were on call together I did all her f*cking work for her...and this is how she thanks me! The best part is she tells me this ON WEDNESDAY at about 3pm. After my head almost exploded I calmed down and told her "I'm not taking call today, I'll admit patients with you till 5pm and If a patient comes in at 4:59 I'll work them up then Im leaving right after" To which she replies "well, if you think skipping out on your clinical duties is okay then I guess thats your problem". I left at 5pm on the dot. My evaluation from her was a recommended "low-pass" for skipping scheduled call days. Amazing.

Wow that's insane. So she changes the student schedules and some lucky SOB gets thursday off instead of you.

Luckily most interns I've been with have not yet forgotten about how it was being a student and let you off early before the test etc. Of course, they can't all be so nice. :( I guess some just get a big head - or maybe they're trying so desperately to continue slacking that they want you to do all the work.

My evaluation from her was a recommended "low-pass" for skipping scheduled call days. Amazing.

This story is the reason I started this thread. I wanted to hear a story SO HORRIBLE that it would for one second make my life sound good!!!

This story is the reason I started this thread. I wanted to hear a story SO HORRIBLE that it would for one second make my life sound good!!!

:D glad I could help. Just to offer some perspective I was beyond pissed when I read my eval but I got it removed and in the end, it has made no difference at all to me. So just remember...its all gravy and soon third year will be over for you.

just to add on...my experience was in Peds. My guess is that most peoples horrible intern stories come from peds and OB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not my story, but happened to a fellow MSIV on an Ortho Sub-i.

Trauma patient comes in, and Gen Surg is the primary team, so my friend goes to see the patient and does the Ortho consult note (which, since he's a med student, looked a lot like an H&P).

A little while later the General Surgery intern comes up to my friend and says, "My resident wants you to do the H&P on this patient."

Friend: "Who are you?"

Intern: "I'm the intern from General Surgery."

Friend: "But I'm not on General Surgery. I'm on Ortho."

Intern: "I know, but since we don't have a med student on tonight, my resident wants you to take care of the H&P."

Friend: "I'm not on General Surgery. I'm on Ortho. You're the primary team, you do the H&P. I already did our consult note."

Intern: "Do you want to talk to our resident so he can explain this to you?"

Friend: "No. I don't need to talk to anyone. If you want me to do the H&P, you can page my resident and explain all this to her. But right now, I'm done."

I was so impressed that he refused it.

What a ridiculous request. Which hospital is this?

I had a Surgery PGY4 I was working with ask me for some data from a study I was working on. I give him the data and piece of the manuscript I'm working on he asks for and he goes and submits it to a conference 1) without telling me 2) without including me on the abstract 3) wins an award for it! Now I can't publish that part of my research because he already did, for me!

I had a Surgery PGY4 I was working with ask me for some data from a study I was working on. I give him the data and piece of the manuscript I'm working on he asks for and he goes and submits it to a conference 1) without telling me 2) without including me on the abstract 3) wins an award for it! Now I can't publish that part of my research because he already did, for me!

Actually, that's plagiarism and I would lodge an official complaint with your school and the organization that runs the conference. It will be investigated, and if the facts are on your side, this PGY4 will wish s/he never did that. It could be a huge black/blue/red mark on this person's career (and rightly so).

Actually, that's plagiarism and I would lodge an official complaint with your school and the organization that runs the conference. It will be investigated, and if the facts are on your side, this PGY4 will wish s/he never did that. It could be a huge black/blue/red mark on this person's career (and rightly so).
No kidding! If you e-mailed it to this person, it should be stored on your server with the date, which should be enough to at least keep them from getting any more credit for this, and something that flagrant should be bordering on grounds for expulsion (which would REALLY suck as a PGY4!).

Ditto that. At minimum they might choose to "hush it up" by throwing you a couple publications or retroactively adding you to the pubs. At best, you could screw an a$$hole resident, making you the new hero of med students everywhere.

Evil is the intern who tells you over and over, go home, you're doing a great job, I have no suggestions for improvement, good work...and then turns around and on the eval says you should have worked longer hours, need to work on your presentations, need to read more, need to become more efficient.

Psych, peds, and medicine have all done this (with me or other classmates who are much smarter and harder-working than me), so forget the Evil Ob/gyn stereotype.

And, evil is the Transitional intern who is totally uninterested in teaching students; or the intern hoping for a scarce and coveted fellowship, who is absolutely willing to sacrifice you so that they can look good in front of the attending or the resident.

Evil is the intern who tells you over and over, go home, you're doing a great job, I have no suggestions for improvement, good work...and then turns around and on the eval says you should have worked longer hours, need to work on your presentations, need to read more, need to become more efficient..

So how do strike the balance between being hardworking but not actually pissing them off by buzzing around all the time?

Psych, peds, and medicine have all done this (with me or other classmates who are much smarter and harder-working than me), so forget the Evil Ob/gyn stereotype.

I haven't heard this one. Do explain!

This is a joke right?

If not, you should go to the dept head.

[This is a joke right?

If not, you should go to the dept head.
It has to be. Would *anyone* you know let someone else steal their work, pass it off as their own, receive lots of credit for it, and then just say "oh well, I guess I can't use that stuff anymore"?!?

If this isn't totally fictitious, there's got to be more to this story than we've heard here.

The long and short of it is the PI told him to do it and I'm still writing up the majority of the project so it's a win:win :rolleyes: I got mentioned in the "thank-you" portion of the presentation but not listed as an author.

The long and short of it is the PI told him to do it and I'm still writing up the majority of the project so it's a win:win :rolleyes: I got mentioned in the "thank-you" portion of the presentation but not listed as an author.

Ummm... I could be wrong but that sounds like a win-lose. I don't know about anyone else, but I never really pay attention to those thanked at the end of these projects. Sure it could be the hard working med student who did half the project with no credit... it could also be the janitor from Scrubs. It still sounds like you got hosed.

My intern on Neuro was a total dingbat. She never listened to anything when we were presenting patients. To make a long story short, I had told her that my patient had a bilateral below the knee amputations and had not walked for three years. Therefore, I did not test gait or a Babinski. The first question she asked was "What was the gait like?" I told her again that I didn't test it because the patient was not ambulatory.

Intern: "Why is she not ambulatory?" I told her that she has bilateral BKA's.

Intern:"You always have to test the gait on neuro."

I said, "Umm...she hasn't walked in three years."

Intern: "Why doesn't she walk?"

Me: "She has no feet! She has had severe complications of diabetic neuropathy (and other complications which I won't list here)"

Intern: "Did you do a Babinski?"

Me: "No. She doesn't have feet!"

Intern: "You have to do a Babinski."

Me: "Umm.....she has no feet."

Intern: "Apparently, you didn't do a very good exam. I will just go in there and do it myself. We will get her up and make her walk."

I follow her into the room and she pulls off her covers and the first thing she says to the patient is, "Why don't you have any feet?" :rolleyes: "Can you walk?"

Patient: "I haven't walked in three years."

Intern: "Have you tried?" :eek:

She still told the Chief that I had done an incomplete exam on the patient and commented that she was going to write that up in my evaluation. I thought the Chief was going to choke when she went in to verify my exam findings! Later, the Chief told me that no one trusts this particular intern. The Neuro residents find themselves checking after her frequently!!!!:laugh:

Ummm... I could be wrong but that sounds like a win-lose. I don't know about anyone else, but I never really pay attention to those thanked at the end of these projects. Sure it could be the hard working med student who did half the project with no credit... it could also be the janitor from Scrubs. It still sounds like you got hosed.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. The dude got boned, and he's basically holding off on filing some devastating charges against his preceptors based on their promise of an unspecified payoff in the future. I sincerely hope that it works out, but if it doesn't, I'll be the first to urge you to go to your IRB and make charges of academic fraud.

I will add my two bits

1. One night after taking doing a interview with a new admit I start copying my scribbled notes onto an H&P sheet. When the intern asked what I was doing (with an air of smugness). I explained that I scribble notes as the patient talks then come out and write a clean, distilled H&P. To which she said "well, if you are going to do that at least use a blank piece of paper and not a preprinted H&P sheet for your notes its cheaper!" B**ch!! As if the girl that is constantly stealing muffins off of the patients food trays suddenly gives a damn about a 5-cent copy!! I know this is mild compared to what some have shared above but its crazy how there are some interns that apparently will have sudden cardiac death if they don't bitch about something you are doing ever five seconds, no matter how stupid it is. (like sharks and swimming I guess).

I have plenty more but will save those for later.

My intern on Neuro was a total dingbat. She never listened to anything when we were presenting patients. To make a long story short, I had told her that my patient had a bilateral below the knee amputations and had not walked for three years. Therefore, I did not test gait or a Babinski. The first question she asked was "What was the gait like?" I told her again that I didn't test it because the patient was not ambulatory.

Me: "She has no feet! She has had severe complications of diabetic neuropathy (and other complications which I won't list here)"

Intern: "Apparently, you didn't do a very good exam. I will just go in there and do it myself. We will get her up and make her walk."

I follow her into the room and she pulls off her covers and the first thing she says to the patient is, "Why don't you have any feet?" :rolleyes: "Can you walk?"

She still told the Chief that I had done an incomplete exam on the patient and commented that she was going to write that up in my evaluation. I thought the Chief was going to choke when she went in to verify my exam findings! Later, the Chief told me that no one trusts this particular intern. The Neuro residents find themselves checking after her frequently!!!!:laugh:

Is this for real? Who the hell are these people and how in damnation did they get into med school. This isn't some intern you can't trust. This is the textbook description of an actual idiot. I think I might stop giving advice in the pre allo forum to all those kids who say I have a 1.2 GPA and a 3 on my MCAT, can I still become a doctor, if this is the result.

I will add my two bits

1. One night after taking doing a interview with a new admit I start copying my scribbled notes onto an H&P sheet. When the intern asked what I was doing (with an air of smugness). I explained that I scribble notes as the patient talks then come out and write a clean, distilled H&P. To which she said "well, if you are going to do that at least use a blank piece of paper and not a preprinted H&P sheet for your notes its cheaper!" B**ch!! As if the girl that is constantly stealing muffins off of the patients food trays suddenly gives a damn about a 5-cent copy!! I know this is mild compared to what some have shared above but its crazy how there are some interns that apparently will have sudden cardiac death if they don't bitch about something you are doing ever five seconds, no matter how stupid it is. (like sharks and swimming I guess).

I have plenty more but will save those for later.

Holy bajeesus, that feet story is outstanding. Wow.

Not my story, but happened to a fellow MSIV on an Ortho Sub-i.

Trauma patient comes in, and Gen Surg is the primary team, so my friend goes to see the patient and does the Ortho consult note (which, since he's a med student, looked a lot like an H&P).

A little while later the General Surgery intern comes up to my friend and says, "My resident wants you to do the H&P on this patient."

Friend: "Who are you?"

Intern: "I'm the intern from General Surgery."

Friend: "But I'm not on General Surgery. I'm on Ortho."

Intern: "I know, but since we don't have a med student on tonight, my resident wants you to take care of the H&P."

Friend: "I'm not on General Surgery. I'm on Ortho. You're the primary team, you do the H&P. I already did our consult note."

Intern: "Do you want to talk to our resident so he can explain this to you?"

Friend: "No. I don't need to talk to anyone. If you want me to do the H&P, you can page my resident and explain all this to her. But right now, I'm done."

I was so impressed that he refused it.

big deal write your 5 line h an p and be done with it...

Not quite as egregious as the foot/research/H&P stories but I'll add this one...

July of MS3

Intern X: "What's up with your pt?"
Student Y: "His labs look pretty good... except his BUN is low."
Intern X: (seriously) "Hmm, do you think we should replace it?"
Student Y: (obviously has never heard the joke before) "Yeah, I guess so."
Intern X: "What dose do you want to give?
Student Y: "Ummm, I don't know."
Intern X: "You don't know how to dose BUN? But you told me it was low!"
Student Y: "Ummm, ummm..."
Student Blaine: "Knock it off Intern X"

I know it's an old joke, but for a guy 1 month out of med school to be torturing a brand new M3 with this was not cool IMHO.

I know it's an old joke, but for a guy 1 month out of med school to be torturing a brand new M3 with this was not cool IMHO.

That is hilarious. I'm totally using that one next year.

On internal medicine, the students rotated separately from the residents, meaning the students had been on service 1.5 weeks before meeting our new residents and attending. I had a patient who was waiting for a bed at SNF for over a week before we met our new intern, Dr. *******. Clinically, she was fine; she just needed PT/OT to recover from a long ICU stay (neuroleptic malignant syndrome). The case managers, social workers, and myself had jumped through all manner of hoops to try to get this poor woman into SNF; when Dr. ******* joined the team, I enlisted his help, too.

One afternoon, after we'd made all the arrangements for her to go to SNF, PM&R re-evaluated her and said she could just go home instead with outpatient PT. Then the issue became a wheelchair; I left for the day with the understanding she'd leave the following morning.

I got a page at home saying the patient had a wheelchair and could leave immediately, pending medical clearance (aka, a doctor's signature). I paged the intern, telling him the patient was free to go, all her paperwork was ready, etc.

The next morning, when I arrived, the patient was still in her room. I went to find *******, only to be "reassured" that "he had seen the patient yesterday after I paged him, she was okay, and that it really wasn't our job to get so involved with that social crap, so I just really didn't need to worry about it." I left to fume elsewhere. By noon that day, when I walked by the patient's room again, she was STILL THERE, in her street clothes, her husband at her side to take her home. The nurse said she needed home orders. I grabbed another intern, who was NOT her doctor, and got him to sign her "d/c iv, d/c home" orders, so that this poor woman could leave.

I just wanted to know what the f**k he was doing at the hospital the afternoon prior that he couldn't be bothered to write discharge orders (not the paperwork, which was all done, just the "d/c home"), but he went to see the patient! And then the next day, he couldn't write the orders in the four hours between when I first saw him and the time I coerced Smart Intern (who was at least on our team, and somewhat familiar with the patient) into signing them!

The other student and I made an executive agreement not to take any patients with Dr. ******* shortly thereafter.

This is the textbook description of an actual idiot. I think I might stop giving advice in the pre allo forum to all those kids who say I have a 1.2 GPA and a 3 on my MCAT, can I still become a doctor, if this is the result.

LMAO!!! :laugh:

Service: cardiac surgery (aka lots of valves and CABGs)

Last day on this service is a Saturday, so it's just me (MSIII) and the intern. The intern has sucked all week long, not doing work, etc. So I get home at about 8:30 on Friday night and realize the intern and I hadn't discussed the weekend rounds, and he has never pre-rounded on patients during the last week. So I guess I have to preround on all the patients (except 2 that are on a different floor that the previous intern always saw - I asked current intern if he or I should see them Saturday morning). So anyway I go in at 3:45am for 6am rounds because I have to preround on 21 patients by myself. Intern shows up at 5:37am and asks me what I'm doing...I'm like, uh, I'm prerounding.

So I present 21 patients to the fellow during rounds.
We get to the 2 patients the intern was supposed to see..we are walking down the hall to the patient's room...here goes:
Intern: blah blah blah (presenting the patient to the fellow)
Fellow: What is his tacro level?
Intern: What procedure did he have done, anyway?
Fellow: stops in his tracks...jaw drops...eyes widen in shock.
"He had a HEART TRANSPLANT, man."
Intern: oh, he did?
Fellow: Yeah, a week ago (intern had been on service for over a week).

I still laugh at this. The ONE patient on the service who wasn't a CABG/valve. After the student presented 21 patients and the intern presented 2 patients.

Mental note: don't ask the cardiac surg fellow what operation a patient had done WHILE you are presenting the patient. Just a thought.

Last day on this service is a Saturday, so it's just me (MSIII) and the intern. The intern has sucked all week long, not doing work, etc. So I get home at about 8:30 on Friday night and realize the intern and I hadn't discussed the weekend rounds, and he has never pre-rounded on patients during the last week. So I guess I have to preround on all the patients (except 2 that are on a different floor that the previous intern always saw - I asked current intern if he or I should see them Saturday morning). So anyway I go in at 3:45am for 6am rounds because I have to preround on 21 patients by myself. Intern shows up at 5:37am and asks me what I'm doing...I'm like, uh, I'm prerounding.

We get to the 2 patients the intern was supposed to see..we are walking down the hall to the patient's room...here goes:

I still laugh at this. The ONE patient on the service who wasn't a CABG/valve. After the student presented 21 patients and the intern presented 2 patients.

Mental note: don't ask the cardiac surg fellow what operation a patient had done WHILE you are presenting the patient. Just a thought.
Um, what's a tacro score?

Tacrolimus given to prevent rejection...dosing is based on measured levels.

Umm this does not shock me.. some of attendings dont even know the patients they operated on the day before..

I had an FMG intern on medicine. Granted, it was her first rotation as an intern, and she wasn't totally confident in her English skills. Nonetheless, this was pretty shocking to me.

Resident: "Can you call the GI guy and get a consult on this patient?"

Intern: "How do I do that?"

Resident: <puzzled> "You look on the phone list at the nurses station, and you call them up in the office."

Intern: "And what should I say?"

Resident: "You tell them you have a consult for them, and you give the history."

Intern: " . . . I don't know. I've never done that before."

Resident: "It's easy, you just make a phone call."

Intern: "Since it's my first time, can you do it so I can see how?"

Resident: "Nevermind." <points to me> "You do it."

OMG, that's priceless. :laugh:

Umm this does not shock me.. some of attendings dont even know the patients they operated on the day before..

I agree, but I still think it's pretty bad to ask what procedure the patient had done to them WHILE you are presenting the patient. And this was the 1 patient out of 21 that wasn't a standard CABG/valve.

Scene: NICU, a medical student, a family practice resident, two ped's residents, a neonatology fellow, and an attending are struggling to keep their eyes open during an incomprensible 35 minute presentation on a pretty healthy baby by fmg fp resident.

Intern: blah, blah, lot's of useless info, blah blah.....the ten day average wt of infant is 2742 grams........bla..

Fellow: Wait, how old is the baby?

Intern: Three days.

Fellow: You see the problem here?

Intern: I do arithmatic wrong?

Team: Sigh

Lazy patients. "I can't walk... I don't have feet." Wusses.

Not quite as egregious as the foot/research/H&P stories but I'll add this one...

July of MS3

Intern X: "What's up with your pt?"
Student Y: "His labs look pretty good... except his BUN is low."
Intern X: (seriously) "Hmm, do you think we should replace it?"
Student Y: (obviously has never heard the joke before) "Yeah, I guess so."
Intern X: "What dose do you want to give?
Student Y: "Ummm, I don't know."
Intern X: "You don't know how to dose BUN? But you told me it was low!"
Student Y: "Ummm, ummm..."
Student Blaine: "Knock it off Intern X"

At least the Intern didnt send the student to the lab for Fallopian Tubes...

It has to be. Would *anyone* you know let someone else steal their work, pass it off as their own, receive lots of credit for it, and then just say "oh well, I guess I can't use that stuff anymore"?!?

Plagiarism happens in academia a lot more frequently than you would like to believe. When I was in graduate school, a fellow student won a poster competition where all of the information was taken from another author. She at least credited the original writer by naming him as the second author. She wanted to include a picture of the equipment from our lab on her poster. She instead used a picture from his lab.

There aren't as many really terrible stories as I thought there would be. I guess interns aren't soooo bad. The psych intern I'm working with now is annoying as hell (perseverating, circumstantial SOB) but hasn't done anything entertainingly egregious, :rolleyes: .

PS I meant the other SOB - not shortness of breath

Go take a look at some of the stories about med students in the Surgery forum (I believe the thread is "Dealing with Med Students" or somesuch). It'll raise some eyebrows.

Anka