What are discretes???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAGuyana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

= independent MCAT questions, not related to a passage. Biological and Physical sciences sections of the MCAT have about 10 discretes each (new MCAT).

As Kaplan says...they are the ones you should do first.

Members don't see this ad :)
As Kaplan says...they are the ones you should do first.

Aren't there questions that are supposedly based off a passage that are essentially discreets anyway (i.e. topic mentioned in a passage, and they asked you a detail about it)? That's what I've been seeing on my FLs thus far, but I'm not sure how reliable mine are yet.

Classically, discretes are on a page that says something like: The following questions are not based on a descriptive passage and are independent of one another (paraphrased). But you're right, some passages have discretes: like you said, sure the passage is talking about chemical reactions, but the first question might be about the meaning of exothermic which you could have answered without reading the passage. Then the other questions usually get into the meat and potatoes of the passage.

The idea of skipping to the discretes might have made sense with the paper MCAT but I don't think that makes sense with the CBT. To begin with, switching pages is different and more time consuming especially because the aamc tests don't have page numbers clearly identified (instead you have to click next and previous). Also, if you read the threads on the Jan tests, no one said that the discretes were that easy anymore (many said the exact opposite). I would not waste time sifting around the exam: practice, get your speed honed and then go for it.

BTW, what's "RLs" ?

Discretes are like Jedi Knights. Straightforward to attack and crushed with ease.

Srs tho just standalone questions not associated with a passage. There are also discretes in disguise in the passages.