Top 5 Pedo Programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedo RoDeO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on what the top 5 clinical ortho programs in the US are?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the top 5 clinical ortho programs in the US are?

You could ask 5 different people and get 5 different answers. Here is a list of some "good" programs.

Baylor
UNC
Florida
Cincinnati
San Antonio

There are a ton of programs out there. You just need to find one that fits what you want to do.

As Jedi (or more likely his wife) said, it varies.

I'd disagree about UNC being a top 5 clinical program. I went to dental school there so I got to see it quite a bit. It's an excellent program but is heavily research-based. You'll spend a lot of time in lecture and doing research when other programs would have you in the clinics.

I'm biased but I'd say from my experience the best clinical programs are Cinci, Ohio St, and Baylor. I've heard great things all-around about san antonio, unc, iowa, fl. A lot of it has to do with your personal experiences on interviews. I absolutely loved Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (milwaukee). I like the staff, the residents, and their preventative approach to treatment. I interviewed at some NY programs and wasn't a big fan of northeast programs. They seem to have a different tx philosophy and are partial to incoming residents from NY dental programs. Harvard was cool but the clinic is very old. That, and they've prevented residents from graduating for not completing research on time. That was enough to scare me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like the "top 5 pedo" and "top 5 endo" threads arent gettin much love... i guess everyone wants to be an orthodontist or a prosthodontist(?!?!?!). what the hell? :)

I think Houston is a great clinical prgram. With each resident doing about 350 sedations, about 70 OR cases, bunch of restorative for special needs--and excellent rotations and opportunities for research in the largest medical center in the world, residency set up like a private practice, excellent location in the heart of the TMC, great faculty-----what else does it take to be among the best.

is that 350 or 35? that number sounds "slightly" high.

(in no particular order)

Cincinnatti
Ohio State
Baylor
San Antonio
Indiana

Any thoughts on South Carolina, as far as clinical experience?

i'm not speaking from personal experience, but i've heard it's a great program. however, i've also heard it's known to be a "good ol' boys club" and they're desperately trying to shake this image. as i said, i'm not speaking from experience...

this is 2nd hand info, but i've heard facilities not so great, but you do a lot of ortho.

Any thoughts on South Carolina, as far as clinical experience?

I've seen the facilities first-hand, very run down. Lots of ortho cause of Bell. Caters to residents with a year + of experience under their belts, and yes the 'good old boys club' reputation as well. Charleston would be a sweet place to live, though.