what's typical takehome pay for interns after taxes/deductions/etc per month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can some current residents shed light on how much take home pay they get each month, as in the check that you deposit. assuming u're single and have to pay both state and national income taxes, i was wondering how much you got to take home from ur stated salary (i.e. 45k/year). thanks. i.e. 3k a month, 2.5 k, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

thanks cchoukal. but i think we'd all (4th year med students) like to know how much people are taking home THEMSELVES. give us a little background too:

single, 1 exemption, state tax %, etc. = $$$$

married, one child, etc = $$$$

we'd really appreciate this guys. thanks.

thanks cchoukal. but i think we'd all (4th year med students) like to know how much people are taking home THEMSELVES. give us a little background too:

single, 1 exemption, state tax %, etc. = $$$$

married, one child, etc = $$$$

we'd really appreciate this guys. thanks.

What difference does it make to you to know what OTHER people are taking home? Why not just calculate what you'll be taking home?:confused:

Anyway, if it helps, my gross salary is a little over $57K per year; single, no children, standard deductions and each paycheck (bimonthly) is a little over $1600. This does not include the variable amount I make when I moonlight (once or twice a month...which generally adds a couple thousand to my take home).

i guess you're right kimberli. i was trying to get the answer from others instead of figuring it out myself. btw, bimonthly means once every two months, biweekly means once every two weeks.

Expect about 2,800 per month takehome as an intern (less if you do not own your place, more if you have kids).

i guess you're right kimberli. i was trying to get the answer from others instead of figuring it out myself. btw, bimonthly means once every two months, biweekly means once every two weeks.

D'oh...of course it does. Thanks for catching that! Wouldn't that be horrible to only be paid every two months!? :)

The link to the calculator above is fairly accurate, even with using the default state tax rate.

Here is a better calculator: www.paycheckcity.com just select your state from the drop down menu and it calculates everything for you. (Most people, like me, probably don't know what their state income tax is.)

First year I made 2770/month (after deductions for health insurance, parking, dental), can't remember second year, this year it's about 2990. Standard resident salary I guess. We get some things to supplement salary (like meal cards) which add up but are not included in that figure.

Sorry but I have to chime in. Did internship last millenium.

1822 dollars and 23 cents the first business day of every month.

The pay really does get better after training ends.

Those were some great times and wonderful people - don't get me wrong. It was a great residency, but I was poor during that time.

The pay does go up after your internship, you'll get quite a jump as a resident. Upon finish the residency, you'll do just fine.
During internship, most folks mainly consolidate rather than trying to pay it off ASAP. It takes awhile before you can pay it off, I'd worry about living expenses first :)