Cornell March Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when Cornell releases acceptances in March?

Members don't see this ad.

all decisions will be made in mid march :laugh: seriously though, did you like the school? it was hard for me to get a good idea what is was all about there during the interview day.

all decisions will be made in mid march :laugh: seriously though, did you like the school? it was hard for me to get a good idea what is was all about there during the interview day.

I had this same issue actually...I would definatly have to go back to revisit before I made any decisions...it was hard to get a feel for it...so I guess I will assume March 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
lets start a pool. The winner (if both he/she and I are accepted) I will buy a beer on second look....I call dibs on the 14th.

lets start a pool. The winner (if both he/she and I are accepted) I will buy a beer on second look....I call dibs on the 14th.

I just scheduled an interview for march 15th, so I'm hoping decisions are a bit later than you guys are guessing.

I just scheduled an interview for march 15th, so I'm hoping decisions are a bit later than you guys are guessing.

what was the last interview day that you could schedule

I had this same issue actually...I would definatly have to go back to revisit before I made any decisions...it was hard to get a feel for it...so I guess I will assume March 15th

Yeah I had the same problem. I wonder why that is?

For reals. We got to have an SDNer on here that can give us some insights. Anyone?

hmm. come to think of it, it was one of the few schools i visited that wasn't a part of a larger campus. and it was in manhattan, so the campus didn't really have physical greenspace. that might have influenced things. but i think the biggest thing was that i didn't really meet any student cheerleaders for their school at cornell. students seemed to like their school just fine, but no one was too excited. many people seemed to like that it was in manhattan and/or that it was well-ranked and/or (one person) that it was the only ivy league school they got into (blecchh). being in manhattan, i also got the sense that students had other lives in the city outside school. just speculatin'.

I also felt like the NY location was the thing that most people at Cornell (including my faculty interviewer, which was a little weird) were most excited about. Oh, that and the students liked that the curriculum gave them lots of free time in the first two years. Everyone was really nice, but it was kind of hard to get that excited about the place based on what I saw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my breakdown.

What I liked:
1) Location...not just bc it's an awesome place to live, but bc of the patient population. I actually talked with one of my interviewers a lot about the diversity of patients seen at Cornell's hospital, even though it's a private hospital on the upper east side. Also, all students are required to do rotations at other hospitals in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.

2) Curriculum. Limited class time is awesome, and all the students I talked to seemed to think the PBL they had was worthwhile.

3) Int'l stuff. Tons of funding to do work abroad, and not just shadowing, but research (this is a big interest of mine). They have an ongoing collaboration with a hospital in eastern Africa (I think Tanzania), creating lots of opps for students.

What I didn't like:
1) That all the M1s live in the dorms. Um, no. I'm too old to go back to sleeping in a twin bed.

2) Diversity of students I met. Everyone was young and white. This could be a total fluke based on the day I interviewed, though.

Here's my breakdown.

What I liked:
1) Location...not just bc it's an awesome place to live, but bc of the patient population. I actually talked with one of my interviewers a lot about the diversity of patients seen at Cornell's hospital, even though it's a private hospital on the upper east side. Also, all students are required to do rotations at other hospitals in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.

2) Curriculum. Limited class time is awesome, and all the students I talked to seemed to think the PBL they had was worthwhile.

3) Int'l stuff. Tons of funding to do work abroad, and not just shadowing, but research (this is a big interest of mine). They have an ongoing collaboration with a hospital in eastern Africa (I think Tanzania), creating lots of opps for students.

What I didn't like:
1) That all the M1s live in the dorms. Um, no. I'm too old to go back to sleeping in a twin bed.

2) Diversity of students I met. Everyone was young and white. This could be a total fluke based on the day I interviewed, though.

location: they seemed really eager to play up pt diversity at the main hospital. our tour guides were even pre-emptively defensive about this as we walked into the hospital. it actually made me a little suspicious, like maybe their "diversity" includes more working-class folks than, say, the homeless. i *suspect* that the homeless and other uninsured most often get sent for admission thirty blocks south to bellevue. but i think full diversity is a given at some of their affiliated hospitals.

dorms: yeah, but to me they lacked the two most dreadful characteristics of true dorms: shared bedroom and shared bathroom. everyone had their own decent-sized bedroom, and 1 full bathroom per two rooms. i don't mind sharing a kitchen and i think it would be awesome to share social space, so to me this set-up is great.

student diversity: complete nonsense. why, i met four asian-americans during lunch. ;)

i *suspect* that the homeless and other uninsured most often get sent for admission thirty blocks south to bellevue. but i think full diversity is a given at some of their affiliated hospitals.

I agree with you on this...but I got rejected from NYU ;)
In terms of patient diversity, though, just being in NYC puts any school/affiliated hospital way ahead of most other schools/areas of the country with the huge concentration of people from all over the world living there. It also gives you easy access to do rotations at other NYC hospitals, if desired. For those of you deciding between the NYC schools, I would imagine the decision gets harder.

It seems like Cornell is a school with a lot of resources (there was also a lot of talk about great financial aid packages) that tries to make student quality-of-life fairly good.

I agree with you on this...but I got rejected from NYU ;)
In terms of patient diversity, though, just being in NYC puts any school/affiliated hospital way ahead of most other schools/areas of the country with the huge concentration of people from all over the world living there. It also gives you easy access to do rotations at other NYC hospitals, if desired. For those of you deciding between the NYC schools, I would imagine the decision gets harder.

It seems like Cornell is a school with a lot of resources (there was also a lot of talk about great financial aid packages) that tries to make student quality-of-life fairly good.

i was rejected, too! well, i'm on the unranked waitlist with hundreds of other interviewees, so it's technically a delayed rejection. if it makes you feel better, the dorms at nyu have bathrooms shared by the entire floor, which passes my "no thanks, i'm too old for this" dorm threshold.

the f.a. does seem sweet if you have financial need. it is purely need-based, and from the sound of it they use the same formula for everyone.

if it makes you feel better, the dorms at nyu have bathrooms shared by the entire floor, which passes my "no thanks, i'm too old for this" dorm threshold.

Thanks, that does help the sting :)

I've got to put in my two cents here.

I really loved Cornell, and it is without a doubt my number one choice. But I can't really give a great set of reasons that will convince other people that the school is good; I think we all get a sort of feeling and read on a school when we visit for interviews, and for me this place just stood out as head and shoulders above every other school I visited -- not in terms of quality, but in terms of knowing where I should be.

Unfortunately, this had to happen at a really competitive school. But soon my FIVE MONTH wait will be over, and I will hope that it hasn't been one that will end in disappointment.

Good luck to everyone!

I've got to put in my two cents here.

I really loved Cornell, and it is without a doubt my number one choice. But I can't really give a great set of reasons that will convince other people that the school is good; I think we all get a sort of feeling and read on a school when we visit for interviews, and for me this place just stood out as head and shoulders above every other school I visited -- not in terms of quality, but in terms of knowing where I should be.

Unfortunately, this had to happen at a really competitive school. But soon my FIVE MONTH wait will be over, and I will hope that it hasn't been one that will end in disappointment.

Good luck to everyone!

hey ahoyfatty. haven't seen you in a while. i can attest you've been into cornell for a while. maybe we'll both make it. good luck!

hey ahoyfatty. haven't seen you in a while. i can attest you've been into cornell for a while. maybe we'll both make it. good luck!

Thanks for the support.

And I can attest that you've been into saying my name for a while. Good to hear from you again.

Best of luck!

Hey guys, put off my time at Cornell for quite a while (interviewed last week) but had a great time there and am excited that my wait will be months shorter than yours. Good luck there and everywhere else.

Cornell was a great school. I think everyone would agree that even if you don't like the dorms... the price at $450 is unbeatable for upper eastside manhattan :D

Also, the facilities are pretty sweet. I really like the Hospital for Special Surgery. I took a peak in there and was impressed.

Cornell was a great school. I think everyone would agree that even if you don't like the dorms... the price at $450 is unbeatable for upper eastside manhattan :D

Also, the facilities are pretty sweet. I really like the Hospital for Special Surgery. I took a peak in there and was impressed.

the current rent for olin hall (where single ms1's live) is actually $536. it looks like it kicks up about $950+ each to live in lasdon (where non-MS1's live). this seems like a pricey jump. can any current students comment about this?

http://www.med.cornell.edu/housing/building/rent.html?name1=Rent+Ranges&type1=2Active

any one else have ideas about when we'll hear back? we can't have a proper countdown without this information.

the current rent for olin hall (where single ms1's live) is actually $536. it looks like it kicks up about $950+ each to live in lasdon (where non-MS1's live). this seems like a pricey jump. can any current students comment about this?

http://www.med.cornell.edu/housing/building/rent.html?name1=Rent+Ranges&type1=2Active

any one else have ideas about when we'll hear back? we can't have a proper countdown without this information.

Hi-
I work at Cornell and my brother is an MS3 and I think he pays around 850 or so as part of a three bedroom apt in Lasdon.

The fees for dorm space and apartments are far below market rates for the Upper East Side of NY.

But one down-side is that the tripples have the common room used as a bedroom, so really it's like a one-bath, two bedroom apt for about 2500.....

But one down-side is that the tripples have the common room used as a bedroom, so really it's like a one-bath, two bedroom apt for about 2500.....

Did anybody else hear that Cornell hires limos out for students to go to rotations. Okay I know this sounds silly and far-fetched but can I get a confirmation of this? Something about cheaper for several students to get out there that way.

And the mean rent for a two bedroom apartment (non-doorman building) in Manhattan is $3,807; doorman building: $5,494. Upper East Side is about avg. (not most expensive or least expensive)

And the mean rent for a two bedroom apartment (non-doorman building) in Manhattan is $3,807; doorman building: $5,494. Upper East Side is about avg. (not most expensive or least expensive)

True, but most people I know living in the UES in walk-ups pay around 1,000 each (of course they do have roomates). Another friend of mine has a one bedroom for 1200, but a little higher than the 70's. The Cornell housing out of Roosevelt Island is about 1250 for a studio, but Im not sure students qualify for that. I know one guy who just stayed in Lasdon all four years since it was cheapest:)
Ciao!

Oops, meant he stayed in Olin...but none of this actually matters sice I prolly wont get in:(:(:(:(

True, but most people I know living in the UES in walk-ups pay around 1,000 each (of course they do have roomates). Another friend of mine has a one bedroom for 1200, but a little higher than the 70's. The Cornell housing out of Roosevelt Island is about 1250 for a studio, but Im not sure students qualify for that. I know one guy who just stayed in Lasdon all four years since it was cheapest:)
Ciao!

Oops, meant he stayed in Olin...but none of this actually matters sice I prolly wont get in:(:(:(:(

sweet. from the way ppl talked about it, i just assumed they made you move out of olin after the first year. who the heck would want to move out of olin, to pay twice as much to sleep in the common room of a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment?

sweet. from the way ppl talked about it, i just assumed they made you move out of olin after the first year. who the heck would want to move out of olin, to pay twice as much to sleep in the common room of a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment?

I agree, I agree. Now if you could swing one of the studios in Lasdon, that would be nice, but I have never heard what those cost.....

I agree, I agree. Now if you could swing one of the studios in Lasdon, that would be nice, but I have never heard what those cost.....

strange that they don't even list lasdon studios on the rent sheet. it's like they're v.i.p. suites or something.

To have a real kitchen and a little more light.

And to get away from the M1s who tend to be a little more rowdy than most M2s will tolerate.

To have a real kitchen and a little more light.

And to get away from the M1s who tend to be a little more rowdy than most M2s will tolerate.

this makes sense. and i guess folks from manhattan are more likely to be used to sleeping in living rooms, anyway. strange territory for me, though.

anybody know when decisions are coming out?

anybody know when decisions are coming out?

I couldn't tell you the exact date. However, I just made this observation (and forgive me if I'm way late on noticing this): the status checker page was working for me for the first time in weeks yesterday, and they went through the trouble of switching it from saying "late March" to "mid March" for decisions. Mid March could be used pretty loosely, but it's a good sign that they switched it from late March.

I'm personnally hoping for two weeks from today, but think that it'll more realistically be about three weeks.

I couldn't tell you the exact date. However, I just made this observation (and forgive me if I'm way late on noticing this): the status checker page was working for me for the first time in weeks yesterday, and they went through the trouble of switching it from saying "late March" to "mid March" for decisions. Mid March could be used pretty loosely, but it's a good sign that they switched it from late March.

I'm personnally hoping for two weeks from today, but think that it'll more realistically be about three weeks.

the office said mid-march last i heard, around the 15th if i remember correclty, but dont quote me on that....

the office said mid-march last i heard, around the 15th if i remember correclty, but dont quote me on that....

I'm only hesitant that we'll hear around the 15th because they're still interviewing until the 15th. But still I keep hearing this 15th business, so I guess we'll just have to see. Maybe if someone calls on ~13th we'll get a straight answer out of the admissions office.

the pool is still open, the water is warm:

Fugazism March 14
Falco2525 March 15
Doctor~Detroit March 17

the pool is still open, the water is warm:

Fugazism March 14
Falco2525 March 15
Doctor~Detroit March 17

good eye on the status checker being up, ahoyfatty.

and now my friends, i have a confession to make: i made my prediction based on last year's cornell thread :D

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=262297&page=3&highlight=cornell+acceptance

last year, acceptances went out via email around mid-day on March 17th, and waitlist/rejection decisions were sent via snail. March 17th was a Friday last year and a Saturday this year, so if I had been smart I would have actually put my money on March 16th. oh well . . .

and now my friends, i have a confession to make: i made my prediction based on last year's cornell thread :D

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=262297&page=3&highlight=cornell+acceptance

last year, acceptances went out via email around mid-day on March 17th, and waitlist/rejection decisions were sent via snail. March 17th was a Friday last year and a Saturday this year, so if I had been smart I would have actually put my money on March 16th. oh well . . .

Dibs on March 16! :smuggrin:

I live in a two bedroom in the low eighties and pay 2495.

Via email?!? Okay, I love Cornell again.

Via email?!? Okay, I love Cornell again.

it's kinda sad, though, if you read the thread. plenty of people saying "where's my email at? were they sent batch or individual?", and then later being happy that they got a waitlist instead of a rejection, and then later . . . silence.

it's kinda sad, though, if you read the thread. plenty of people saying "where's my email at? were they sent batch or individual?", and then later being happy that they got a waitlist instead of a rejection, and then later . . . silence.

Yeah, that is sad. And it's the general problem with these staggered mailings or using different classes of mail for rejections/waitlists/acceptances.

To (most of) the schools of America: Seriously. We know you don't have separate adcom meetings for rejections/waitlists. Why can't you prepare all the decisions and just send them out? It's really a horrible little game you play.

Yeah, that is sad. And it's the general problem with these staggered mailings or using different classes of mail for rejections/waitlists/acceptances.

To (most of) the schools of America: Seriously. We know you don't have separate adcom meetings for rejections/waitlists. Why can't you prepare all the decisions and just send them out? It's really a horrible little game you play.

Yeah, it sucks that they don't just send out emails to everyone. But I'll be checking SDN as religiously as my email, and if I haven't gotten an email and other people have, I should be able to figure it out pretty quickly (I'm smart like that). Then I can pray for the waitlist for a few days.

I live in a two bedroom in the low eighties and pay 2495.

Hey Smurf-
Sounds like a great deal you have going on....mind if I nose in and ask what street you are on? I live up on 94th and if I end up staying in the city for school next year I want to look into other options....thanks!

shameless bump.

eleven days to go?