Gee officer.... (Dr. Cox?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I am telling a policer officer "Hey I was speeding, am I in trouble?" ... but .... here goes,

I was creating emails for the scramble - photo, attached transcripts, LOR's etc. I was creating them and pre-addressing them based on programs that did not fill last year (NRMP sent me a list, as I was originally signed up for last years match but had to withdraw) - I was then loading them into my filing cabinet by clicking "send later" - but one of them I accidentally clicked "send" and it went to the program. So am I guilty of a match violation, contacting a program before the scramble?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I am telling a policer officer "Hey I was speeding, am I in trouble?" ... but .... here goes,

I was creating emails for the scramble - photo, attached transcripts, LOR's etc. I was creating them and pre-addressing them based on programs that did not fill last year (NRMP sent me a list, as I was originally signed up for last years match but had to withdraw) - I was then loading them into my filing cabinet by clicking "send later" - but one of them I accidentally clicked "send" and it went to the program. So am I guilty of a match violation, contacting a program before the scramble?

Give a courtesy phone call to the coordinator. Tell him/her to give you a courtesy delete.

I sent it last night, - I followed it with an email saying that it was a mistake and describing what happened - do you think I should still call?

call, so its on record you called explaining the situation.

I will try and call first thing - dang I cannot imagine getting booted from the match now because of this.

Should I talk to NRMP about it?

Why are you preparing so early? No interviews, or no prelims ranked, or what?
Either way, as long as you explain to the program that it was an accident, it will end there. It isn't like you were actually getting a spot right now or anything.

I am preparing early, and in several specialties, so that when the scramble list is released I can contact as many programs as possible - I want the emails preloaded and ready to go so all I have to do is click "send". I had some interviews but very few (5 out of ...well and embarrassing number of applications) - so I am pretty much planning on having to scramble.

Is contacting them by phone preferable to contacting them by email?

I would not contact NRMP - at this point, what they don't know won't hurt them.

I would give the program a call and explain the situation and that it was an honest mistake; get the name of the person you talked to, so that if it does become a problem (unlikely, IMHO), you can back your argument up with some contact info at the program.

Thanks - and thanks for saying it is :"unlikely, IMHO" -

Hi, guys, this thread makes me scared.
on March 6th, I sent a Program coordinator an email to apply a position posted online. I am not confident to match a position because of 4 interviews only. I got an "out of the office" email from the Program coordinator soon after.
At that moment I did not think this would be any thing of violation. But not, I am very scared:scared: . What should I do?
Please help!