Phi Kappa Phi = hogwash? (Just finished Masters Program in Tox)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIGATT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so this ap. cycle hasn't been kind to us. No interviews at all :( Looks like we'll try again in June. My question is: Does anyone actually care if you are in some kind of honor society or is it a bunch o bung? Is it helpful or just a waste of another 70.00?

32 (can't remember what his essay score was i *think* it was a P)
4.0 grad
3.75 undergrad

Works full time, goes to school full time and has to balance family on top of it. He shadowed as much as he could but apparently what he's got wasn't enough to get into our cali schools. I guess what i'm asking is would the phi kappa phi help out at all- does anyone even care?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok...so this ap. cycle hasn't been kind to us. No interviews at all :( Looks like we'll try again in June. My question is: Does anyone actually care if you are in some kind of honor society or is it a bunch o bung? Is it helpful or just a waste of another 70.00?

32 (can't remember what his essay score was i *think* it was a P)
4.0 grad
3.75 undergrad

Works full time, goes to school full time and has to balance family on top of it. He shadowed as much as he could but apparently what he's got wasn't enough to get into our cali schools. I guess what i'm asking is would the phi kappa phi help out at all- does anyone even care?

Being a member of Phi Beta Kappa will not gain you an acceptance to medical school, but it certainly is a plus to have on your c.v. It is one of the only honors societies that adcoms are impressed by.

Agree with the above. Being Phi Beta Kappa is really the only honor society which makes an impression, although it will not significantly affect your chances of getting into medical school if there are red flags on your app. Join Phi Kappa Phi if you wish, but not to beef up your application.