Official Gold Standard CBTs "AAMC-style"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeistough

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As promised, MCAT CBTs 1-10 are available. I just checked and all the CBTs are formatted with the same environment (clock is on top) as the AAMC CBTs on www.e-mcat.com.

Even the Verbal section, all the paragraphs and margins, including the line in the middle which divides the questions from the passage. Searching is available on top, even highlighting. I don't use either though, just in case on test day.

You have to see, it is as if someone who designed the test format and software for AAMC has written the same software program with font size, margins, question lines, and more, has done it for all Gold Standard CBTs.

For solid practice CBTs, this is it. Many may be in the same situation I am. I have reviewed all AAMC 3-8 already, and am left with 9 and 10. I can now have 10 solid CBTs that will be similar to my performance on the 9 I take later. I am very satisfied at the results. Score shows up at the end of the exam, once you click "end test".

Please check it out. I know currently no company that has come this close to this program. The questions are AAMC type. How? For those who have been diligently studied the way AAMC poses questions in their stems, knows that they offer clues, sometimes not even requiring you to look at the passage. Gold Standard does this. For those who know what I am talking about, this is the next closest thing.

For a sample, www.mcat-prep.com gives out the GS-1 CBT for free. Try them under the new program. See what you think. They are free! If you like it, than you can purchase the whole set 1-10 on the site or EBay.

When I saw it, it was beautiful. I want others on this thread to know and take advantage. I would want the same if others found out and shared the information. Not many people may know. I have EK 101, 1001 series as well. But all is practice till you put it into a real test scenario. AAMC also offers a free 3S CBT, so at least see if what I am saying is true for yourself. You have nothing to lose, they are free, GS-1 CBT.

No, I am not a salesman for Gold Standard, not even close. Like I said, if I was in a city with all of you and we were all hungry to find food, and one of us stumbled unto a field flowing with wheat, should I not at least run back let you know what I have found. It would be immoral and not of good character.

Here is the direct link to get those free CBTs, if you like it, as I did, purchase the rest 2-10. This is a new change, it was promised within 24 hours and it is delivered. Find out tonight.

http://www.mcat-prep.com/Practice-Tests/

Best regards to you neighbor, and keep practicing.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoops, never mind. 35 smackers each. But definitely worth it. So, you say we can get them on e-bay for cheaper? Do they still give you the adjusted score at the end? How do you know if you're being scammed or not?

It is a full CBT package (1-10). Not sold individually. I found it beneficial because it was a bundle deal. I recommend that at least to try it out the GS-1 and than purchase the rest.

I purchased these around December, I think, I put it off because they weren't designed and programmed like the AAMC, which was distracting. Now I can confidently take the test, because my results and testing is as if I am taking a real AAMC CBT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I may be so bold as to say, user runningscared, that reviewing my GS CBT 4 on BS, is as if I did a real CBT. The questions are AAMC-like.

After so much practicing with AAMC, I began to have a second intuition about what to expect. I believe I know now why EK 1001 BS gets so much good reviews, (I speak about this only from most recent experience) because a well-crafted science section would be designed that the stems offer such subtle clues that whether you are in Physical or Biological Science turf, looking back at the passage, is done seldom. Test takers who have practiced with AAMC for a while have picked up on this.

Like a german shepherd who sniffs and is able to detect suspicious activity, an experienced MCAT test taker with AAMC can pick up the scent. I am glad such an opportunity has opened up tonight. This change is new, I believe this evening. May all users here tonight viewing this, seize this opportunity as I gladly did.

Best regards, user runningscared.

Whoops, never mind. 35 smackers each. But definitely worth it. So, you say we can get them on e-bay for cheaper? Do they still give you the adjusted score at the end? How do you know if you're being scammed or not?

The scaled score along with explanations to all your responses. I can understand how you may be distrustful to EBay, that's normal. Dr. Ferdinand, the surgeon, is the seller. I paid through a secure transaction thru Paypal. He is a man who will go out of his way to help. I email him questions and he responds. He is here to help.

His rating shows. Also, it is a secure transaction if you do it through Paypal, you have my word.

Best regards.

Thanks for the update. I also bought the 10-test pkg from seller "goldstandard99" on eBay, for around $60 IIRC. I haven't had the chance yet to sit down and take one of the e-tests, but am looking forward to it based on your feedback.

For those thinking of buying the eBay pkg (all 10 CBTs), here's an example of a current auction --> item # 260096407640. Ends at ~11:15 EST today, Tuesday. Seems like most of the auctions over the past week or so have been ending in the $50-70 range. Yes, all 10 CBTs for $70. He even includes a 3-day MBG to check out the tests. Can't go wrong IMO. Good luck!

Personally, it costed me $100.00 for all 10 of them. No individual package was available. I still cannot find such on their website.

Best regards.

do you guys think were stupid or something? haha... nice try gold standard

Looks like the 10-test package goes for $150 (for one year of access) -- it's right there on the homepage, in the blue box. Or am I missing something...?

whatupron has us figured out though....

Personally, it costed me $100.00 for all 10 of them. No individual package was available. I still cannot find such on their website.

Best regards.

Be careful before you make accusations. The good thing about these boards is you can take the time to see what people have said before. Before the changes, here is what lifeistough said about these exams earlier in the month:

"I have purchased the 10 CBTs on EBay for purposes of getting more CBT practice. The practice CBT once you log on, is not the same "environment" as the official CBT on e-mcat.com.

I was a bit lost and frustrated with the format. I really wish they designed it as the same application as the official cbts. The verbal section is very narrow, very narrow, compared to the wide . . .

Something about it just turned me off about presenting an authentic test experience. It is said by many, but I had to learn it the hard way, www.e-mcat.com offers the real stuff. No one is able to match it . . . "

He claims that he complained to them and then they changed the format. I doubt that he is working for them.

Having bought these practice exams from the company (I worried about security/copyright about ebay), I agree that in terms of content, these were the most useful practice exams besides the AAMC. Less memory dependent questions that pop up on some of the Kaplan tests (I have not tried TPR). The Verbal seems a bit more challenging (resulting in lower scores) than the real thing, and the highlighter is buggy, but all in all, I would also give them thumbs up (of course, it's only useful if you don't think that the AAMC's tests are not sufficient for practice).

Members don't see this ad :)
My sincere apology regarding my last post to any who may have been confused by the comment.

The cost I paid was on EBay. Another user mentioned they are going for a little less on auction now. The reference I made to the site was to support my statement that I haven't been able to find individual CBTs for sale.

I hope that this will clear any confusion. Once again, my apology. In case any are still wondering, no, I do not work for any test company. I am studying for this exam as any of you are. I come to this forum to read about reviews and sugggestions other students may have that helped them score higher. I feel it to be my responsibility to do the same if I come across something. If I have lied to you, I would be ashamed and would not have come forth. But today, I come forth reaffirming my statement I made. I would suggest that you don't use the search engines and highlighter and practice without it. On test day, if something should go wrong, we cannot afford to put so much weight on a tool, but it would be more helpful is we used the basics. Why?

According to AAMC guidelines concerning the operational exam, no search engine will be available. There are other changes that when practicing with AAMC CBTs or Gold Standard CBTs that you should be aware of, and to closely mimic those same conditions when sitting down to test yourself. Here is the link: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/differences.htm

Best regards to you, and be strong.

It is true that the gold standard cbts have changed format to resemble aamc tests. Unfortunately, I took one of these tests today to find that upon submitting your test, the results are not shown and do not go into your "history" section. Without this it is impossible to see your scores and review the answers to questions. In my opinion, this makes the tests pretty useless since I don't know what to improve upon. Until the problem is fixed I would discourage anyone from purchasing these tests. I'm sure lifeistough or meds2008 will let you know when this happens.

When I made the statement, I checked the program to see if it follows through, as I mentioned, and I am sorry to repeat myself again, but score with raw score appeared in the left window as soon as you click end test. On the right window it has a list of numbers "1-52" for example, click on the numbers and are taken to the detailed explanation. I have check once again after the latest comment, still works!

Does this mean not to buy it? I still cannot see a valid reason that would hinder me. I want to see my results immediately, personally, and it does it. I want to see a detailed explanation to the ones I missed and be able to review them right away, not in a history panel for 3 days, 1 week... later. Currently it does that. Take what it is and see that it works to our advantage. For me, this is a benefit, b/c it forces you to review your answers immediately after finishing it. You can go and sup, but just don't close the window. I don't see adding my score to a history panel stopping me from buying this if someone told me.

One last thing, this isn't only about this thread, but about anything else. When a conflict presents itself, go to the company issuing it and present the matter to them and attain information. For example, I verify information and see if it is true on www.aamc.org about current testing situations. If what is unclear on their site is conflicting, I talk to them over the phone. What I am saying is... anyone can come in and write things to discredit statements. As I mention about this now, please visit www.mcat-prep.com there is a toll-free phone number and you can verify for yourself. The phone number is a toll-free number and available to assist you 24/7. Yes, I have called before, it is real, too.

Because we all want honesty, and most importantly we deserve honesty, not only to ourselves, but to others as well. I could have read this thread and seen all the statements being made, and then thoughts of so many students from different walks of life studying for this exam that takes their time away from family, loved ones, etc, and I thought yes I have to study, and at times it seems I am doing it in vain, but then I remember that you deserve to know and that you not let my statements or anyone's else to influence you. Simply check the sources out by trying it out. If you are having technical difficulties with your browser, call the number or email the email on the site.

200 people may have read this, 199 walks away from the "it's probably to good to be true" but I have still have a responsibility to that one person who is still standing, waiting and in need of help. I am being helped, I am learning all the time with the explanations. You can't lose. Gold Standard CBT 1 is free.

I have written everything about this and must go back to continue on my studies. I hope that one person is still listening.

the best regards,
neighbor

The problem was taken to the company, and they verified that there is in fact an issue with the new format. I'm not sure how you were able to receive your scores with the new format, but according to them it is not working. They have assured me that they are working on the problem, but again I wouldn't recommend shelling out the money until it is resolved.

I will have to disagree with most people about the Gold CBT MCATs. I purchased these 10 CBTs and there are a lot of problems with them. For example, when I end the test, it doesn't record the answers I initially put down so it always says I got a 1/15. Also in verbal, the search function causes the whole verbal section to start over. This has happened a couple times. I still use the CBTs, but I have to write down what I put as my answer and then go back and see if they are right. I never use the search function for verbal on these CBTs either. The old format was much better.

I am suspicious at recent statements made here.

I have just taken a verbal gs-1 filling in answers. When I clicked end test, once again, repeating over and over again, received score on left window. 30/40 and right below it, 8/15. And still able to review my answers, i can click on next button and go to the next passage with more explanations.

If this is a game, which I have my suspicions, I cannot play. Please do not harm others by discouraging statements which I have tested to be wrong. Examine yourself, think of others here. See if the problem is with your browser. Again I have tested your claims several times. I am not going to do this anymore.

Others reading, please be cautious.

Best regards.

Not a game, I took GS-4 today and had this problem for each section. Once again I told you I contacted the company and they said they are working on it, in fact they expect it to be fixed tonight. What is suspicious about that?

Contact the company yourself if you have any doubts, or look at a couple of the posts and the responses from the administration under "Discuss this exam" for tests 1 and 4. But don't get upset and accusatory over others sharing current information about a product just because it contradicts your opinion. Especially when, according to yourself, you have no vested interest in this company. :rolleyes:

By the way the problem is not with the browser, which GS support confirmed. Never had this problem before the new format and they assured me that it was due to the new format.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the browser that is causing this to happen. I am just trying to make a point that these exams have a few problems and that they aren't as great as people on this post are making them out to be. I'm just reporting problems that I had with it. I am not making any accusations, but some of these people from this thread seem like they work for a certain company and are just trying to sell products. Too many bias opinions from these types of people.

Gold Standard Mcat sucks. I have used it and I thought the test wasn't anything like AAMC style. It is useless to take tests that are not like the real thing. I would stick with TPR, Kaplan, AAMC and EK. Companies such as gold standard and test easy just try to make money over trying to help the students. Dont waste your money or time! end of story

I just did a PS exam in GS-4 and the scaled score it said was mistakenly "1/15" which is an error. Also it said my raw score was something else, which I know it wasn't. I was testing in putting in some correct answers to see what the cuttoff for that exam is for a score of 10 and up.

The problems others have been speaking about, regarding giving wrong scaled scores, are now, I see to be true. I have run into the same problem. I am really really sorry if I have offended anyone. I just didn't see it happening during my run tests, and grew suspicious based on clearly an assumption. I do apologize again if I have behaved immaturely.

While I wait for the changes to take into affect, so I can practice on GS-5 PS, I will go ahead and work on verbal passages and AAMC practice test 2 questions. I reviewed the answers and explanations to the first 4 GS PS CBTs.

If I have caused any harm or confusion, I take full responsibility.

Best regards.

I paid $58 for the 10 tests a few days ago on ebay. Overall I like it. Mainly because I can do it from work, and I'd rather do any kind of practice test on a computer as opposed to on paper. The explanations are adequate. For the price I'd buy it again. Practice is practice.
I realize this is my first post and it may look suspicious, but I've been lurking since earlier this year. I'm just some guy, not related to any thing or site.

Yeah. Ebay is the way to go. I got mine for $52 bucks. How do you know you're not going to get ripped off? check the feedback of the ebay seller and read the comments others have posted. If most of the comments are good... go for it.
I bough the tests and I'm doing em right now. They are somewhat unrealistic, but since I've gone through most of the AAMC's, I'm resorting to these. I usually get 8's or 9's on the Bio sections on these and 10's or 11's on the AAMC stuff. These tests ask some picky questions and have some strange answers. For example there is one question:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
"Microfilaments would have an important locomotive function in all but which of the following organelles?
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]flagella
    [*]Endocytotic vesicles [x]
    [*]Lysosomes
    [*]Granulocytes
All of the answers use microfilaments, but only a granulocyte isn't an organelle. I have any seen AAMC ask a question of this type.

But in the end, practice is practice. If these tests can help you improve your score by a point or two, they are definitely worth the money.
Good luck

Yeah. Ebay is the way to go. I got mine for $52 bucks. How do you know you're not going to get ripped off? check the feedback of the ebay seller and read the comments others have posted. If most of the comments are good... go for it.
I bough the tests and I'm doing em right now. They are somewhat unrealistic, but since I've gone through most of the AAMC's, I'm resorting to these. I usually get 8's or 9's on the Bio sections on these and 10's or 11's on the AAMC stuff. These tests ask some picky questions and have some strange answers. For example there is one question:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
"Microfilaments would have an important locomotive function in all but which of the following organelles?
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]flagella
    [*]Endocytotic vesicles [x]
    [*]Lysosomes
    [*]Granulocytes
All of the answers use microfilaments, but only a granulocyte isn't an organelle. I have any seen AAMC ask a question of this type.

But in the end, practice is practice. If these tests can help you improve your score by a point or two, they are definitely worth the money.
Good luck

Since when is flagella considered an organelle?? Seems a bit wierd to me...