Technology Mac sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, it might not, i might just be stupid but i need serious help here. I tried switching to MAC, cos i heard so much good stuff about it :rolleyes: . i was using an imitation flash drive on a pc and i tried using it on a mac, and being very computer illiterate, i must have erased my files while formatting it. basically, i went to MS-DOS button and clicked erase.

pls pls pls pls pls pls help me. i have called apple, imitation, microsoft and a flash drive recovery company (they want $350???), pls save my soul and tell me i can recover my files, pls. :(

Members don't see this ad.

i was using an imitation flash drive on a pc and i tried using it on a mac, and being very computer illiterate, i must have erased my files while formatting it. basically, i went to MS-DOS button and clicked erase.

"MS-DOS button?" On a Mac? I don't even know what that means.

If you learn anything from this experience, I hope that it's "always back up your data," not "Macs suck." :rolleyes:

alright, thanks. anybody else? pls?

Members don't see this ad :)
"MS-DOS button?" On a Mac? I don't even know what that means.
I have to admit, I am rather lost here as well.

To the OP, if you could be a little more clear on exactly what happened from start to finish one of us here might be able to help you.

Typically recovering data from flash drives is much more difficult than your average magnetic HD due to the weaker signature left behind as a result of the underlying flash architecture and the method is uses to erase data.

If it was truly a "format" operation, it might be a little easier since the file table may actually have just been blanked but the physical data is still present. However if it was a comprehensive format, rather than a quick format, it would be very difficult. I'm not exactly sure how a cross-platform format might complicate things, but if it's just a FAT file system then the way the format function works can't be too different.

okay, it might not, i might just be stupid but i need serious help here. I tried switching to MAC, cos i heard so much good stuff about it :rolleyes: . i was using an imitation flash drive on a pc and i tried using it on a mac, and being very computer illiterate, i must have erased my files while formatting it. basically, i went to MS-DOS button and clicked erase.

pls pls pls pls pls pls help me. i have called apple, imitation, microsoft and a flash drive recovery company (they want $350???), pls save my soul and tell me i can recover my files, pls. :(

Do you mean "reproduction", or the company "Imation"?

i meant imation, sorry :oops:

okay, i use it on pc and decided i want to switch to a MAC. it is password protected. i inserted it into the MAC, nothing happened, so i searched online and found:

Your drive must be set up as a single public partition, since neither Windows Explorer nor the Macintosh OS will recognize a password protected partition.

To format the drive in Mac OS X:
Go to your hard drive icon
Open Applications
Find and open Utilities
Double click on Disk Utilities
In the upper left window highlight the line “__MB Imation USB Flash”
Select Volume Format and name the volume
Click on Erase in the tool bar at the top of the window

so the volume format i selected was ms-dos ( the other volume formats were OS X related) and i clicked erase. i know it was completely stupid of me, but i am just hoping someone has any solution thanks, and if i recover my data, I will try a MAC again, promise.

i meant imation, sorry :oops:

okay, i use it on pc and decided i want to switch to a MAC. it is password protected. i inserted it into the MAC, nothing happened, so i searched online and found:

Your drive must be set up as a single public partition, since neither Windows Explorer nor the Macintosh OS will recognize a password protected partition.

To format the drive in Mac OS X:
Go to your hard drive icon
Open Applications
Find and open Utilities
Double click on Disk Utilities
In the upper left window highlight the line “__MB Imation USB Flash”
Select Volume Format and name the volume
Click on Erase in the tool bar at the top of the window

so the volume format i selected was ms-dos ( the other volume formats were OS X related) and i clicked erase. i know it was completely stupid of me, but i am just hoping someone has any solution thanks, and if i recover my data, I will try a MAC again, promise.
With that information I can say there is probably less than a .01% chance of recovering that data. You did a complete format and the drive was encrypted. If the drive wasn't password protected you might have had a shot, but since it was you are most likely out of luck.

You can try and contact a professional data recovery company, and they might be able to get at least some of it back, but be prepared to pay through the nose in advance regardless of whether they get anything back.

Unless this data is very valuable or you have hundreds of dollars just lying around burning a hole in your pocket then you best bet is to consider it a total loss, take a hammer to the flash drive, grieve, buy a new flash drive, and create a secure backup routine so this doesn't happen again.

Sorry things didn't turn out better for you.

...Unless this data is very valuable or you have hundreds of dollars just lying around burning a hole in your pocket then you best bet is to consider it a total loss, take a hammer to the flash drive, grieve, buy a new flash drive, and create a secure backup routine so this doesn't happen again.

Sorry things didn't turn out better for you.

Thank you :thumbup: i already grieved so i feel much better. i was just hoping but ... oh well, thanks again.

I'm tempted to change the subject of this thread since this thread has more to do with USB keydrives and accidentally formatting data instead of Mac computers.

However, I feel that my Mac bias might be considered as a conflict of interest. So, I'll let the thread subject stay.

By the way, that was very funny. Imitation USB drive? I got a chuckle out of that one.

:laugh: in my defense, i did say i might be the stupid one, if i can get over losing my data, i might just try using a MAC again.

:laugh: in my defense, i did say i might be the stupid one, if i can get over losing my data, i might just try using a MAC again.

MAC = Monitored Anesthesia Care
Mac = short for Macintosh

;)

oh dear - this thread makes my head hurt

some advice to the op for next time, if you want to read and write back and forwards to a thumb drive between windows and mac, you need to format it using FAT32.

--and don't format your thumb drive when your non backed up data is on it --

MAC also stands for Media Access Control. It's part of a networking thing. >.>;

Members don't see this ad :)
MAC also stands for Media Access Control. It's part of a networking thing. >.>;

Also, Mycobacterium Avium Complex, Mean Alveolar Concentration, Moves, Adds, and Changes (old telecom term), and a bunch of other stuff.

Any time you see somebody use "MAC" like it's an acronym in a Macintosh discussion, they're pretty much admitting to being clueless about Macs. ;)

I won't even buy an ipod out of fear of giving that company money.

Most
Applications
Crash
If
Not
The
Operating
System
Hangs

M•A•C Cosmetics

Young female enters retail Apple store. "Do you know where the 'MAC' store is?"

Assistant Manager: "uhhh...."

Young female: "oh, nevermind". (proceeds to walk toward other end of the mall.)

true story from my friend who works retail :laugh:

PC NEVER! Mac forever!

:thumbup:

I finally made the switch to Apple when my laptop motherboard melted and my desktop hard drive crashed...all within a couple months of each other. I paid a recovery service and got back most of my stuff. But now I enjoy playing with my Apples and always back up my data on an external hard drive. Lesson learned:idea: Sounds like the OP is learning the same thing I did.

OS X is far better then Windows Vista
Just though I would put my 2 cents in

I read an article in the Tech section of USA today a few months ago that benchmarked Mac's running Vista on an emulation program against a PC running Vista. Both computers had comparable stats (Mac was running an intel processor). The Mac beat the PC in every catagory but one, the multiple task benchmark. Kind of funny when a Mac running OS-X and emulating Vista on bootcamp can run a PC OS better than the PC's for which the OS was designed. I have had PC's for years, never wanted a Mac, but I got one for med school, and I will never, never, ever buy a PC again. The stability of OS-X is reason enough to never own a windows PC.

I read an article in the Tech section of USA today a few months ago that benchmarked Mac's running Vista on an emulation program against a PC running Vista.

I'm not sure exactly what the testers were doing, but Windows runs natively on Intel-based Macs...no emulation needed, whether you're using BootCamp or Parallels.

Oh yeah, I know the intel based macs don't need to emulate, but they were trying to show that running vista on bootcamp (on OS-X) could out-run a PC running vista as the OS. The purpose seemed more or less to show the versatility of the OS-X platform.

As I said earlier my opinion is not a neutral one, after two pieces of dell junk I'll happily pay a bit more for a mac.

M•A•C Cosmetics

Young female enters retail Apple store. "Do you know where the 'MAC' store is?"

Assistant Manager: "uhhh...."

Young female: "oh, nevermind". (proceeds to walk toward other end of the mall.)

true story from my friend who works retail :laugh:

My .mac email address was attributed to the cosmetics company once by some store employee asking for my info. Sorry, I'm not that Metro.

I was once in a home theater store, when a guy looking to open my wallet asks, " Would you like to see the new McIntosh?" I quickyly replied, "No, I've got one of those at home." As I exited, I realized two things:
1) He was referring to the high-end tuner
2) My Mac at home was probably less expensive than the Mc he wanted me to buy. :laugh:

macs running xp or vistas are basically a nice looking pc. There is really no hardware differences that distinguishes one from the other. Software, on the other hand, is where the differences stand out.
As I stated on another thread, I think OS X blows out vista in regards to ease of use, but vista has the prettier eyecandy.