UCLA unranked waitlist 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jr applicant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd go ahead and start this thread out so we can all support each other through the long process of trying to get off the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for starting this... I was really depressed today, especially since I have only waitlists at other schools and no acceptance yet to speak of... hopefully we all still have a chance for UCLA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah this really sucks....i was hoping to enjoy my spring quarter. Does anyone know how many people get accepted into the geffen program from the 170 slots?

yeah this really sucks....i was hoping to enjoy my spring quarter. Does anyone know how many people get accepted into the geffen program from the 170 slots?

I believe it is around 125-140 if I remember correctly.

thanks for starting this... I was really depressed today, especially since I have only waitlists at other schools and no acceptance yet to speak of... hopefully we all still have a chance for UCLA.

Same here...this makes 2 waitlists, and 10 pre-interview rejections. Do you think it's too soon to prepare for re-application?

24 go to Drew/UCLA and 24 go to UCR/UCLA. Geffen's class size is 121 (weird number).

I'm sad to say I'm here to join the party. At least I know I'm in good company.

any idea as to how many people are on the unranked waitlist?

there were 13 that were 3/21 unranked waitlist on the other thread.

that is, 12 others, and myself.

Sigh...

do you think they even look at the waitlist before may 15th? i wonder if they look at us as totally new applicants during re-evaluation if its "unranked" or if they take our initial score into consideration...

Hi all! Mom called me about waitlist letter while I was vacationing. UCLA was the last school I was waiting to hear from. It is also my top choice. Looks like I won't be having any closure anytime soon....

Okay, done with being pessimistic. Its not over til its over. Even though the wait sucks, its better than to have been put in the hold list or rejected.

I'm glad this thread is here. Best of luck to us in the coming months!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here...this makes 2 waitlists, and 10 pre-interview rejections. Do you think it's too soon to prepare for re-application?

if i knew I were reapplying for this cycle for sure i'd definitely start now... i mean this is when i started with the personal statement and letters of rec last year... in March.

Personally though I'm going to wait till the end of April before deciding to figure out a Plan B... and I wouldn't reapply for this cycle because this was my senior year and I don't have much clinical wise to beef up my application (just lots of research stuff). Plus, my grades went down this year, so if I couldn't get in this year with a 3.87, that doesn't spell good news for next year. :/

For the record, I'm on 4 waitlists and am still waiting to hear from 5 schools. GPA 3.87/3.85 and MCAT 31"O", the usual extracurriculars. I think the problem for me was that I applied late (my AMCAS wasn't verified until early October, eekkkk!! I had no idea transcripts took that long to get verified!), my MCAT was a little low, and I applied to too many top tier schools.

Just wanted to drop by, say hello, and wish us all good luck. UCLA is my #1 choice and I hope we'll all be classmates next year.

I go to UCR so I'm also considering the UCR/UCLA program. I figure that if I'm competitive enough to get in the regular UCLA waitlist I'm set for the biomed program. Decisions still haven't been released though, so maybe I shouldn't say anything just yet. I might jinx myself. :laugh:

I should be on this list monday. No closure for me as well, but I wont complain because I will be going somewhere in Ca so I am thankful for that. I am not sure I could keep it together if I was in the position of having to come with a Plan B

Hi,

I was completely unaware that UCLA has already begun sending out waitlist letters. Did those of you who have received one interview early? I interviewed March 2 and have not heard back from them. Have they given out all their acceptances already and everyone else is waitlisted or post-interview rejected?

Hi,

I was completely unaware that UCLA has already begun sending out waitlist letters. Did those of you who have received one interview early? I interviewed March 2 and have not heard back from them. Have they given out all their acceptances already and everyone else is waitlisted or post-interview rejected?

Doubt you would hear back this early.

I am also adding myself to this thread......just for the record I am 0-6 when it comes to waitlists (from previous applications)....here's hoping I can up the record to 1-7

I am also adding myself to this thread......just for the record I am 0-6 when it comes to waitlists (from previous applications)....here's hoping I can up the record to 1-7

That's some tenacity you've got to go for it three times. Congratulations on getting an acceptance!

Is anyone thinking of not accepting their spot on the wailist? Maybe that could bring some hope to the rest of us on it. Maybe we can all pool our money and try and convince those with acceptances that other schools are clearly superior and more deserving of their presence next year.

Is anyone thinking of not accepting their spot on the wailist? Maybe that could bring some hope to the rest of us on it. Maybe we can all pool our money and try and convince those with acceptances that other schools are clearly superior and more deserving of their presence next year.

ahem... j/k
Good luck to everyone, 50% of this unranked list will get accepted. That's a VERY GOOD number guys.

ahem... j/k
Good luck to everyone, 50% of this unranked list will get accepted. That's a VERY GOOD number guys.

Where do you get this information from kelvin? How many people are on the wait list?

how do u guys know you're on the waitlist. I interviewed Jan 26th and still have no status change. what does this mean? it's tough to keep track with all these UCLA threads, but does anyone know if they are still giving out more acceptances?

how do u guys know you're on the waitlist. I interviewed Jan 26th and still have no status change. what does this mean? it's tough to keep track with all these UCLA threads, but does anyone know if they are still giving out more acceptances?

I dont think anyone knows at this point. I think we were all of the opinion that there would be acceptances in the letters sent 3/21 and 3/22 but as of right now 100% of those letters have been something other than acceptances. If acceptances will be going out they have to do it soon since second look is approaching here soon.

I got the status page change 3/21 and the lovely letter in the mail on saturday which reads: "We have thus assigned you to a waitlist without ranking."

ahem... j/k

I may have read wrong earlier, but I believe the med student said that in past years up to 50% of the entering Geffen class came off of the waitlist. We do not know how large the waitlist is, so I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that half of the unranked list is typically accepted.

yes please enlighten us as to how you came out with this number :( :( if there's anything about UCLA not worth having, it's false hope :(

I agree. Considering that many schools have reported a huge spike in applications this year I highly doubt there will be as much waitlist movement as there was in the past. But who knows. :confused:

I agree. Considering that many schools have reported a huge spike in applications this year I highly doubt there will be as much waitlist movement as there was in the past. But who knows. :confused:

A huge spike in applications doesn't necessarily mean more people applying, it could just mean people applied to more schools. Which I would think translates to more waitlist movement.

ahem... j/k

Actually, this isn't right. What IS true is that 50% of the matriculating class has come from the waitlist in past years.

Actually, this isn't right. What IS true is that 50% of the matriculating class has come from the waitlist in past years.

imagine 600 apply, 1/3 each to accept, unrank wait, and reject/hold.

If 160 are in the class, or thereabouts, then 80 accepted an offer from the waitlist.

But...it would seem that even more would need to be offered, since some on the waitlist could drop it by may 15, and many more could drop if they come off another waitlist after may 15.

Of course, the initial split is the big unknown...not really sure what % get accepted/waited/dinged.

imagine 600 apply, 1/3 each to accept, unrank wait, and reject/hold.

If 160 are in the class, or thereabouts, then 80 accepted an offer from the waitlist.

But...it would seem that even more would need to be offered, since some on the waitlist could drop it by may 15, and many more could drop if they come off another waitlist after may 15.

Of course, the initial split is the big unknown...not really sure what % get accepted/waited/dinged.

But there aren't 160 in the class. There are 121. (24 are from Drew and 24 are from UCR, which have different application processes altogether.) Also, very few are outright rejected. Most are waitlisted. This increases the waitlist pool and makes it very unlikely that 50% of people from the waitlist will be accepted.

add me to this awesome waitlist club. There is still hope.

But there aren't 160 in the class. There are 121. (24 are from Drew and 24 are from UCR, which have different application processes altogether.) Also, very few are outright rejected. Most are waitlisted. This increases the waitlist pool and makes it very unlikely that 50% of people from the waitlist will be accepted.

that changes things :)

Ok let's get a tally of SDNers who are officially going to accept their first-tier waitlist spot!

Current Total: 12
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon?
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh?
Steve203
Silverfox

Add me to the list...

Current Total: 13
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon?
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh?
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee

Current Total: 14
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon?
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey

I read through the last three years' worth of waitlist threads earlier today (bored at work). I figured some of you might be interested.

2006: Movement started around 5/22, and proceeded in waves about every 10 days or so. The pace seemed to slow down by mid-June, but there were still students being accepted as late as 7/21.

2005: Earliest reported waitlist movement 6/2. Apparently much less movement this year, with fewer SDNers pulled off (6/2,6/3,6/9,7/1,7/19).

2004: Earliest was 5/20, then there was sporadic movement every 10 days or so starting mid-June. Movement as late as 7/29.

All movement appears to be off the unranked list, people on the hold list probably don't have the best chances.

I stopped reading after that point because it's obvious that there is such a huge variation from year to year that the threads don't have much predictive value. I'm just going to send in my waitlist acceptance/loi and not start worrying until June.

Current Total: 14
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon?
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey

Current Total: 15
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon?
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple

Current Total: 15
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple

Yes, me too.

Current Total: 16
Aerith
Jr applicant
narc?
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635

got my unranked waitlist letter monday in NY....

Add me to the list. I am official today.

Current Total: 18
Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384

Anyone know when revisit weekend is? I haven't been updated of my status yet b/c I interviewed recently, but I'd imagine they would inform everyone of their status before they had their revisit weekend.

Revisit weekend is april 21st. Good luck :luck:

Anyone know when revisit weekend is? I haven't been updated of my status yet b/c I interviewed recently, but I'd imagine they would inform everyone of their status before they had their revisit weekend.

I believe it's the weekend of April 21st. I interviewed about a month ago and haven't had a status change either. You'd think they'd try to inform us by their re-visit, but who knows. Some people on here seem to think their Feb. acceptance batch could be the only one going out. I don't know what that means for us....