I'm so thankful...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanBruin05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Growing up I wanted to be an architect, until my dad, Dr. Bruce Murphy, brought me to observe my first surgery. For hours, I watched as he debrided burnt flesh and grafted the wounds of a man with 3rd degree circumferential burns on both legs. From this initial experience, I began volunteering in the burn unit, assisting the nursing staff with daily dressing changes.

Long story short... my dad was my inspiration to become a physician. He never pushed me into the profession, but as I began to discover my own sense of calling he was my greatest support.

He encouraged me when I was exhausted from studying for the MCAT, he applauded me when I got my scores, he supported me financially as I travelled to interviews. When the last application cycle didn't go as well as we hoped, he encouraged me to reapply, helped me strengthen my personal statement, and told me not to give up.

He has anticipated news from medical schools with me. Every rejection I got, he was disappointed with me but told me to have hope.

The day I got my acceptance to UCLA School of Medicine, my dad was the first person I called. He was so excited and proud. He made me call the admissions office to get the date for the White Coat Ceremony, so he could put it down on his calendar and make plans to be there, cheering me on.

Last Saturday, I was on a well-deserved vacation in Atlanta, when I got a call from my brother that my dad had suffered a heart attack and was in emergency surgery. I couldn't get any flights from Atlanta to Des Moines, where he lived, so I rented a car, and drove as fast as I could to get here. 15 hours later, I arrived at the hospital to find my dad connected to a ventilator, dialysis machine, and numerous IVs.

Initially, he was heavily sedated, but after a few days he was more alert. I would sit at his bedside and talk to him, and he'd squeeze my hand to acknowledge what I was saying. His doctors were amazed at how much he was fighting to stay alive, although they told us that his body was shutting down, his kidneys had stopped functioning, and his heart only had 10% function.

This morning, his blood pressure dropped, and his breathing was so distressed that we made the decision as a family to give him medication to make him comfortable. On the advice of his physicians, we ended the extraordinary measures that were keeping him alive. He was fighting to stay with us, but his body was shutting down and there was nothing we could do.

With me holding his right hand, my brother Jason holding his left, and my mom at his feet, my dad slowly drifted away at 2:45pm today. He was so calm and peaceful.

I'm thankful for my dad's inspiration and that I could be there with him at the end. I'm going to miss my dad so much. I'm so sad that he won't be able to go through the med school journey with me and encourage me along the way. Yet, I'm so thankful that he knew before he died that I'd been accepted to UCLA.

Thanks Dad for everything... I miss you already... You inspired me... Your patients loved you, and I hope when I'm a doctor that I can have your same sincerity, attentiveness, and reassuring sense of humor.

Dr. Bruce J Murphy Feb 10, 1950 - March 30, 2007

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry for your loss! I can't imagine what your family is going through right now but my best wishes are with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so sorry, I cant even imagine what you and your family is going through. May God be with you through this difficult time.

Sorry for all your loss man. I hope you and your family is doing okay in this time.

Sorry for the loss.

God bless you and your family.
may see you at white coat ceremony, bro'.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like a great man. Be a kick ass doctor to honor his memory.

Wow, what an inspiring story about your dad. While it is sad that he died so suddenly, he certainly blessed your life and the lives of many others. He obviously was very proud of you and your are very fortunate to have had a dad like that. Now you'll be able to bless others thanks in no small part to him.

I'm sorry for your loss...... :( Your dad sounds like he was an amazing man.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.

very touching story. May God be with you and your family. Your dad was obviously a selfless, inspirational, extraordinary individual, and no doubt you will carry on his legacy. Good luck at UCLA, thats an AMAZING school (and root for the bruins tomorrow!)

Members don't see this ad :)
My prayers go out to your dad, you, and your family.

Condolences. Be a great doctor like him and make him proud.

I'm sorry for your loss and give my best wishes to you and your family. And thank you for posting--your father sounds like an amazingly caring and supportive person and will serve as an inspiration and drive for you through medical school. Good luck at UCLA

Very moving post - got me teary eyed. Very sorry for your loss.

Ryan, I m sorry for your loss. Just keep in mind how much you made your dad proud by getting accepted to UCLA. I m sure he will be looking out for you in your medical journey. Actually your story really touched me 'cause my dad just told me last week his doctor said he could go blind anytime. He's been diagnosed with Glaucoma recently and there is no cure for the disease. Dont forget to say hi to me during second look weekend or/and whitecoat ceremony. Sincerely, Kelvin

I too am quite saddened at your loss. I can only imagine how difficult this time must be. It is these things that help us remember what is truly important in life...I know your father is proud of you and will be with you in spirit throughout your journey through school

I am sorry for your loss. From your post I can somewhat confidently infer that your father would be proud of the fact that you will be helping people have more fulfilling lives.

It's so wonderful that he was able to see you through this process and celebrate your acceptance. Still, I know it would be wrenching to lose someone like that in your life and I'm sorry for your loss.

Glad to see you make your father proud.

My condolences for your loss and best of luck.
-Dr. P.

my condolences to you as well. really sorry for your loss..

I am sorry to hear about your loss. That story was truly a beautiful story to see such supportive parents. It is heartbreaking that he was not able to make it to your white coat ceremony and passed away before his time and before he could see you graduate medical school, get married, have children, etc. My thoughts and prayers go out to yourself and your family members and anyone who knew your father and cared for him. Make him proud and remember the great times, family support, and other positive attributes that he has shown to you and the remainder of your family and aspire to bring that in your own life.

Your father sounds like a good man. Again, sorry for the loss.

I am very sorry for your loss. Your post really brings to light the essence of the field we are about to enter.

I am sure your father was very THANKFUL to know that you are going to follow in his footsteps.

I wish your family and you all the comfort in this time.

Wow!!!

I admire your honesty and bravery!

Congrats on your accomplishments and I am sorry for your loss.

I don't mean to get all preachy or anything...but God works in mysterious ways. While your pops has left this physical realm for a higher calling, he is still by your side.

Your pops is probably sipping OJ with Jesus right now...you can't tell me that that not is dope!:)

Best wishes to you and your family

Thank you for sharing your story. It is great that SDN was a place you chose to share it. I'm sure it will have affected many premeds and others for the better to remember the blessings of having their parents.

Remember that the bonds of love are not dissolved upon the death of any family member or loved one. They continue to live in our memories and they influence our lives. We can make their memories blessings by letting them influence us to go forward.

I hope you will submit what you wrote and more memories of your father for publication and continue to share your journey with us.

The thoughts and prayers of the medical community are with you and your family.

Regards

OBP

Ryan,

That was a truly beautiful and moving post. As you go through the ups and downs of med school, always remember that you carry your dad's encouragement and support within you. This is the kind of love that will help you go on when you feel like you just can't take any more. Best of luck to you in med school and beyond; I think you are already well on your way to emulating your dad's example of what a healer should be.

-Q

so sorry for your loss. you will have one heck of a guardian angel by your side in medical school. i'm sure you will make him proud!

What a beautiful tribute to your father.

Please take good care of yourself in the difficult months ahead & lean on the people that care about you.

aww I am so sorry. I am glad you got to experience your father in such a positive way in your life.
my thoughts are with you.

I understand, and I am sorry for your loss.

My mother is the reason I am going to be a doctor. My motivations are my own, but she was the one that introduced me to medicine, she was the one that inspired me, and her death when I was 19 gave me the strength of character needed to get where I am.

I am truly happy your father was able to learn of your acceptance. My mother never saw me transfer to a 4-year university, and most certainly could not have foreseen how well I would do.

This is going to be a very difficult time, and no one can tell you what to expect. I may know what it is like to lose a parent at a young age, but no one else can know what it is like to be you and lose your dad.

My mother was my best friend and I took it hard. I held her hand when she passed, made funeral arrangements, delivered her eulogy, and spent the next few years struggling to move on.

In the end, I ended up with a general sense of longing and an incredibly large hole in my heart. However, I also developed significant empathy and became comfortable with my own mortality (and therefore comfortable with death in general).

As I said before, I don't know what awaits you, but I suspect it will be difficult. I am sure you have numerous 3-D friends you can speak with, but if you want to speak with someone under the relative anonymity of SDN, feel free to PM me.

Take care
-Melissa

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that you can find comfort in spending time with your family and celebrating your father's great life as well as grieving your loss. Try to take solace in knowing that you will be carrying on his legacy by caring for patients and helping people with him as your inspiration.

Sorry for your loss.

Go and make your dad proud by continuing your dream.

Thank-you for sharing such a private thing. I am so sorry for your family's loss. Your dad sounds like the father every child dreams to have.
I'm wishing you good luck in your career and everytime school or work get's to you remeber your father and the hope he had for you.

I very sorry about your loss. On a positive note, it really sounds like your dad made great use of his time here. Hopefully we can all do the same.

very sorry for your loss. He must've been a great father. Make him proud by being the best physician and person you can be. Good luck at UCLA.

A very moving story. The kind that, if it doesn't make you think of your own father, it makes you think of the kind of father you'd want to be.

(Removing my usual sig out of consideration)

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure that you telling him about your acceptance into UCLA was one of the happiest moments in his life.

My condolences. Your story is very touching, I read it and I still can't put into words what i felt. I tried to fill your shoes and it was impossible to do. I do hope good memories of your dad will see you through this difficult time. Good luck at UCLA and take solace in the fact you know what is like to be loved and love another uncoditionally.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm very sorry for your loss. Your dad had many reasons to be proud of you. It's obvious from reading your post that your acceptance to UCLA was just one of those many. I have a feeling you'll make an amazing doctor. Best of luck in medical school.

Sorry for your loss, I cannot even pretend to know what you are going through. Remember him and use it to drive you through med school.

Your story brings tears to my eyes.. I'll keep your family in my prayers.