Comfortable dress shoes for long hours on my feet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julia403

4th Year Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year student about to start my 4th year rotations. Just wondering if anyone could suggest ladies dress shoes that are comfortable for long hours standing in the pharmacy or walking around the hospital. Maybe black tennis shoes that look like dress shoes, i dunno. I don't want granny orthopedic shoes bc afterall, I'm only 22 & I do care about how my feet look just as much as how they feel! My pointy heels & jelly shoes just won't cut it anymore!

[guys... sorry to bore you on the topic]:rolleyes:

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year student about to start my 4th year rotations. Just wondering if anyone could suggest ladies dress shoes that are comfortable for long hours standing in the pharmacy or walking around the hospital. Maybe black tennis shoes that look like dress shoes, i dunno. I don't want granny orthopedic shoes bc afterall, I'm only 22 & I do care about how my feet look just as much as how they feel! My pointy heels & jelly shoes just won't cut it anymore!

[guys... sorry to bore you on the topic]:rolleyes:

thanks!

try a nice pair of dansko clogs [ don't bother with those rubber things everyone wears, your feet will sweat and you will trip in them] or nike shox...seriously.
no one really looks at your feet, unless you work in my hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't bother with those rubber things everyone wears, your feet will sweat and you will trip in them.

Are you referring to Crocs? I hear they're supposed to be quite comfy, though I've never worn them myself. Do they have a ventilation problem?

I live in Dansko clogs. I have several pairs and wear them with everything - I always take them to conferences because I inavariably get nasty blisters going out dancing the first night in cute shoes and can't wear anything else but the Danskos the rest of the week.

not the cutest thing ever, but not ugly and certainly comfortable for long hours.

Well sometimes for school functions & labs, they don't allow us to wear clogs, however I looked up those shoes that all of you suggested & they all come in pretty cute mary jane styles. They seem just what I'm looking for! the only problem now... where do I find them? I can always order online, but it kinda sucks not being able to try them on first. Where did you all find yours? I'm sure Houston has stores that sell them, I just never actually looked.:banana:

....MountainPharmD, why do you replace the Merrills every 3 months? They're not cheap.

Oh, & Farmercyst, crocs are really comfy, but they're the ugliest shoes I've ever seen my whole entire life! The standard styles have huge holes in them so I assume they have no problems with ventilation, but then again, they're not made of absorbant material, so you probably would notice your sweaty feet more.

Easy Spirit. I have a pair that look like boots. They are made of very soft leather, with great foot support. I wore them on rotations for those where I was required to dress in business casual clothes. They are more comfortable than any athletic shoe I have worn. Some places let me wear scrubs, then I wore my UF Gator Crocs.

Are you referring to Crocs? I hear they're supposed to be quite comfy, though I've never worn them myself. Do they have a ventilation problem?

they ventilate just fine, they just make my feet feel sweaty. and for some reason, i trip when i wear them...that may just be me. they're great to wear somewhere you don't want to wear flip-flips [like all day in NYC]
danskos are awesome.....i also have a selection of "ballet flats" that do me just fine as well as a pair of pumas that i've found are spectacular!

These would make an impression:

ELECTRA1023.jpg

Sorry, no shoe thread is complete without something really ridiculous.

Interesting thread :laugh: , while we are on the subject, what about guy's shoes? I know when I was just for a day, running around the hospital in my dress shoes, my feet were definitely getting pretty sore :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Those brands mentioned above... Merrill & Dansko make men's shoes. The men's Danskos are pretty ugly though, not sure about Merrill. However, I know Cole Haan makes nice & very comfortable shoes like the Air Granada Venetian style. Or if you could get away with wearing all black pumas or something, that'd probably be the best!

I don't recall the brand, but I think I got them at JCPenney's, these plain, kinda loafer-ish shoes with thick rubber soles. Very comfortable, and don't look half bad either. Kind of Audrey Hepburn-esque. Ballet flats are nice, but they need to have substantial soles to cushion your feet. I have Unionbay penny loafers that are nice looking and comfortable too.

Interesting thread :laugh: , while we are on the subject, what about guy's shoes? I know when I was just for a day, running around the hospital in my dress shoes, my feet were definitely getting pretty sore :)

I used Wolverine shoes, but the style I had was discontinued. They do still make loafers. The ones I had were approved for US postal carriers if it tells you how much ground pounding they were expected to take. I know Doc Marten's have a good life expectancy, can't speak for comfort though.

I hear this is mandatory part of Walgreen's female pharmacy employee wardrobe..:thumbup:

shoesqs2.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thank god I don't work at Wags!

I wear 2 inch heels - not 4!!!;)

Where do you work...give me your manager's phone number...I'll have him change the dress code..

Remember folks, foot wear is only part of it, stockings are an important part of any outfit. If you see the extra's on Law and Order or True Taxi Cab Confessions wearing them, you should have 7 or 8 pairs to rotation through. :laugh:

Where do you work...give me your manager's phone number...I'll have him change the dress code..

hmmmm.....what if I told you - 2 inch heels and a very crisp white coat (no tie - alas...);)

I think we had this whole dress code thing going on a few months ago....

Screw heels, knee high boots (not uggs) and a knee length skirt are the way to go! Well, at least from my guy perspective. :love:

Anyways, I would never wear danskos or crocs; I'll stick with Docs, Nike Shox/AirMax (it's kinda weird seeing 50 year old nurses wearing shox), or my teenager punkass skater shoes. If only I could get away with wearing reefs all day...

Now I ask you - what would our faculty member friend say about this????

There doesn't look like anyplace to put our nametag.....;) :p

Whatevah! There's absolutely a place for sticky tape tag.. ;)

I'm the type of girl that can wear pointy toe heals all day and be perfectly comfy. I recommend Sperry Topsiders though. They're amazingly comfy. As far as the crocs, I wear them with my scrubs and they're quite comfy too.

Screw heels, knee high boots (not uggs) and a knee length skirt are the way to go! Well, at least from my guy perspective. :love:

Anyways, I would never wear danskos or crocs; I'll stick with Docs, Nike Shox/AirMax (it's kinda weird seeing 50 year old nurses wearing shox), or my teenager punkass skater shoes. If only I could get away with wearing reefs all day...

i was a shox supporter up until the last post. then, on the advice of one of my techs, i tried pumas....good stuff! also i have a pair of frye boots [the banana campus, the classic] that i wear to death every winter!
it's still cold in NY now, but i can't bear to wear boots in april.

*i meant MY last post, not psychoandy's....BTW, psycho, thumbs up to punkass skater shoes!*

Now I ask you - what would our faculty member friend say about this????

There doesn't look like anyplace to put our nametag.....;) :p

Names don't matter.

I've had pharmacists that work 14 hour shifts tell me that Merrell and Dansko are the most comfortable.

Hey Aggie...you in College Station?

Yup, I graduate August 10th and UH orientation starts August 15th...should be fun, right?

I went to the press conference for Coach Turgeon yesterday, I like him a lot.

In my opinion, they should never be worn anywhere!! Not even behind closed doors!!!:laugh: Only if you're under 5.

I completely disagree, I love mary janes and I always will :love:

I am not thrilled with my Danskos, to me they are too heavy. I actually prefer the knockoffs I bought from Chadwicks, but I know LL Bean makes a knockoff as well.

I love my Clarks, and I'm pretty picky about shoes. They're lightweight, comfy, reasonably priced, and fairly stylish.

http://www.nextag.com/mary-jane-shoes/search-html

Are "Mary Jane Shoes" appropriate for professional dress?

Mary Janes are fine, I have some very nice ones (I think they're Chinese Laundry) that I've worn for interviews (the pharmacy where I work, and the school I'm going to). Pumps are always too tight or my feet slip out, that's why I like the instep strap.

I can walk in them fine and they look totally professional!

I would like to know what kind of comfort shoes are available in the market for "retail pharmacists" who work long ~12 hours standing on their feet. Are there any such comfort shoes or suggestions for not getting tired standing/working?

Thanks.

I would like to know what kind of comfort shoes are available in the market for "retail pharmacists" who work long ~12 hours standing on their feet. Are there any such comfort shoes or suggestions for not getting tired standing/working?

Thanks.

I merged this one with the earlier thread. Hope that helps calm the storm that was brewing.

Wow! You guys are a fun group. I'll be applying to Pharm school next year and just know I'll fit right in :cool:

I think Rockports are very comfy and attractive. I have this shoe (found it at Marshall's for about $30)

I can wear them all day. They are stylish, but super comfy. I didn't even have to break them in at all!!!!

I also have a pair of low heeled pointy toed shoes that are super comfy. I can go shopping in them and never worry about it. They are way too dressy though for retail or hospital. Great for going out!! (they come in other colors, but I got the red ones and LOVE them!!! didn't have to brek them in at all). They are Vaneli.