Laptop (Bad news for prospective apple owners)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mymouthsmells

Old Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Yahoo! News:

Apple delays launch of operating system

Apple Inc. said it won't be shipping its next-generation operating system in June as planned, saying it had to divert resources from the project so that it could launch its highly anticipated iPhone on time.
The new shipment date for Mac OS X "Leopard" will be in October, the company said Thursday. The iPhone will make its debut in June as planned.
Apple shares dropped nearly 3 percent to $89.50 in extended-session trading after the announcement. Earlier, they had closed at $92.19, down 40 cents, on the Nasdaq Stock Market.
The "iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and (quality assurance) resources from our Mac OS X team," Apple said in a statement.
Apple announced the iPhone — a smart phone that also serves as an iPod music player — in January to much fanfare. The Cupertino-based company said Thursday the iPhone is still on track to be shipped in late June and has passed several of the required certification tests.
Apple, which had previously said Leopard would be available in the spring, had hoped to release the Mac operating system upgrade at its Worldwide Developers Conference, a five-day event in San Francisco that starts June 11.
Instead, a "near-final version" of Leopard will be ready for the developers at the conference, Apple said.
"We think it'll be worth the wait," Apple said.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_hi_te/apple_product_delay

Sorry, just felt like ranting as I was hoping the new operating system would come out before d-school started this August so I could purchase a new Laptop. Crappy.

If I were to get a Mac Laptop now and upgrade to the new operating system, would my laptop be just as good as purchasing a Mac Laptop with Leopard on it when it comes out in October?

Members don't see this ad.

it's probably not gonna be as good (Intel's Santa Rosa platform is coming soon) and i wouldn't be surprised if Apple comes out with for ex a redesign of the MacBook Pro or a slim MBP (according to rumors), but right now, Tiger is a perfectly capable operating system, and all of the current Mac laptops will run Leopard without problem (Leopard will support G4, G5 and Intel). You'll just need to pay additional $100 for the upgrade, but other than that, you're really not missing out on anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tiger is still superior to Vista

even though i love my mac...i hate these pissing matches.

wait a minute....Vista alone costs $300.

and $300 computer...do you even have a monitor?

From Yahoo! News:

Apple delays launch of operating system

Apple Inc. said it won't be shipping its next-generation operating system in June as planned, saying it had to divert resources from the project so that it could launch its highly anticipated iPhone on time.
The new shipment date for Mac OS X "Leopard" will be in October, the company said Thursday. The iPhone will make its debut in June as planned.
Apple shares dropped nearly 3 percent to $89.50 in extended-session trading after the announcement. Earlier, they had closed at $92.19, down 40 cents, on the Nasdaq Stock Market.
The "iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and (quality assurance) resources from our Mac OS X team," Apple said in a statement.
Apple announced the iPhone — a smart phone that also serves as an iPod music player — in January to much fanfare. The Cupertino-based company said Thursday the iPhone is still on track to be shipped in late June and has passed several of the required certification tests.
Apple, which had previously said Leopard would be available in the spring, had hoped to release the Mac operating system upgrade at its Worldwide Developers Conference, a five-day event in San Francisco that starts June 11.
Instead, a "near-final version" of Leopard will be ready for the developers at the conference, Apple said.
"We think it'll be worth the wait," Apple said.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_hi_te/apple_product_delay

Sorry, just felt like ranting as I was hoping the new operating system would come out before d-school started this August so I could purchase a new Laptop. Crappy.

If I were to get a Mac Laptop now and upgrade to the new operating system, would my laptop be just as good as purchasing a Mac Laptop with Leopard on it when it comes out in October?

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to get the newest greatest phone. With a new iPhone my life will be complete. Oh man I have the greatest software on my phone.

Oh wait its just a collection of silicon and plastic.
Oh wait apple doesn't make a tablet. Oh man I will just have to buy a PC.

Sorry, I am so sarcastic but I think apple is over rated. I bought an ipod a year ago, and regret the purchase, I haven't powered the thing up for the past 9 months. ( actualy purchased a different MP3) I think apple has great marketing and a good product, but not for me.

I also think this thread is useless.

Go Linux..
334px-Tux.svg.png

Hey, I'm not trying to assert superiority. I'm trying to assert that I can build an equivalent machine for less money, with more functionality, that actually has software I want to use for it.

Sure, you sacrifice some user friendliness, but then again I already know how to use a computer...

Hey, I'm not trying to assert superiority. I'm trying to assert that I can build an equivalent machine for less money, with more functionality, that actually has software I want to use for it.

Sure, you sacrifice some user friendliness, but then again I already know how to use a computer...

I concur.

This is exactly how I feel about all macs :D

I use to be a complete mac devotee until a few about 5 years ago i realized i couldnt afford it.. Back then i paid $2799 for a PowerBook, and it was made obsolete by apple in about 2 months. since then ive been on windows desktops (which ive built usually for around $300 or so) or windows laptops/tablets

Until recently I hadn't considered getting a mac , but the apple laptops have dropped in price dramatically making them a better choice than most windows laptops especially since they can run windows operating systems. (the Mac Pro Desktops are still , in my opinion, not worth their price)

My main reason for wanting a Mac now is so that i can use iChat for video chatting.I have yet to see anything on a PC that can replicate apples video chat for clarity and frame rate(anyone know anything on PC that comes close?) Mac OS X Leopard is supposed to improve on this by adding a video conferencing feature that has to be seen to be appreciated

It pains me to think how much i will be paying for the Dell laptop Pacific will force me to buy considering that i can purchase a Macbook for a little over $1000 or a Macbook Pro for $1999.

It pains me to think how much i will be paying for the Dell laptop Pacific will force me to buy considering that i can purchase a Macbook for a little over $1000 or a Macbook Pro for $1999.

A couple of schools I interiewed at required the purchase of Dell laptop. I was not enthusiastic, if you are going to spend a couple of thousand dollars on some technology there should be more choice then just dell. I am happy Marquette doesn't require this, I am saving my pennies so I can get a tablet.

I use to be a complete mac devotee until a few about 5 years ago i realized i couldnt afford it.. Back then i paid $2799 for a PowerBook, and it was made obsolete by apple in about 2 months. since then ive been on windows desktops (which ive built usually for around $300 or so) or windows laptops/tablets

Until recently I hadn't considered getting a mac , but the apple laptops have dropped in price dramatically making them a better choice than most windows laptops especially since they can run windows operating systems. (the Mac Pro Desktops are still , in my opinion, not worth their price)

My main reason for wanting a Mac now is so that i can use iChat for video chatting.I have yet to see anything on a PC that can replicate apples video chat for clarity and frame rate(anyone know anything on PC that comes close?) Mac OS X Leopard is supposed to improve on this by adding a video conferencing feature that has to be seen to be appreciated

Did they come to your house and break it? /sarcasm

All computer companies upgrade their products. You just happened to buy at the wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.