White Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silvercholla

Smarter than the avg bear
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted you guys to see were this could go. Yes it's a good idea but tread very very carefully!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you purposely trying to cause controversy with this white/black medical students garbage? Just for the record, I'm neither white or black; I am of Asian ancestry.

Originally posted by angelic02
Are you purposely trying to cause controversy with this white/black medical students garbage? Just for the record, I'm neither white or black; I am of Asian ancestry.

This thread got started in response to the persian and then middle eastern med student threads. Of course silvercholla was trying to make a point! Do you get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not about starting controversy dear. But ya just proved the point anyhow. How about this instead of white or black I'll change it to asian Will that make you feel better. The point is that SDN is supposed to be about sharing information and problems through one mutual common denominator. What do you think is going to happen when we start separating and saying this thread is for one group to talk only and this thread is for another. Look all I'm saying is for people to be careful.

Oh relatively prime... it seems like karma is alive and well. I believe I slammed you for the same reason:rolleyes: Well let me officially and publically say touche you have my apologies.:love:

controversy? :) you say you want a revolution..

Silvercholla, which are you? Are you white or black? You posted a black thread also. After your response I'm not going to post on this thread anymore.

Silvercholla, which are you? Are you white or black? You posted a black thread also.

You obviously don't get it. Here's a quarter. Buy a clue.

angelic..

calm down sweetie! :cool: He's just making a point. In doing so, yanking chains. No harm done :)

Silvercholla, which are you? Are you white or black? You posted a black thread also. After your response I'm not going to post on this thread anymore.

Why??? The point is you should feel free to post wherever you want. But if that's how you feel then oh well. But do you want the technical answer, the PC answer or the reality? I suppose it doesn't matter so I'll give you both.

Technical: I am Scottish, Irish, Asian, Guyanese, Vincention, French,Spanish, African American Woman

Politically Correct: African American Woman

Reality: Black American Woman

The way it should be: American Woman

Exactly. You are an American. End of story.

In the brave new world, a key aspect of controlling the populace was to encourage a system of thought in which everyone belonged...community, of sorts. This is seen in today's political correctness and affirmative action movements. I'm an african-american, hispanic-american, irish-american, etc.

WE ARE AMERICANS.

End of story

:)

Originally posted by silvercholla

Technical: I am Scottish, Irish, Asian, Guyanese, Vincention, French,Spanish, African American Woman

I'm glad some people actually get it. I wish more people were like you silver.

Okay PMer.... Yes I am proud of who I am. But if I am going to be proud then I have to be proud of every part of my heritage!!!!
Get some balls and post over the thread instead of making thinly veiled a$$hole comments in my box!!
YOU SHMUCK!!!!! That's the jewish part!

I just want to say that yes this was supposed to stir you guys feathers and boil your broth. But not for controversies sake. I just wanted to see what could happen when exclude one group from here or there. I am very proud of who I am and I am blessed to have been born and be able to live in this country (I'm one of the few that like paying taxes:laugh: ) This is not to say that the SDNers in this forum are not as American as I am because they weren't born here. They are if they think that they are. This is to say that we shouldn't separate ourselves in this forum.

Okay that's the end of my sermon on the SDN mount. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
"White Medical Students" -- who cares about them?!! ;) --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
"White Medical Students" -- who cares about them?!! ;) --Trek

LOL.... not the adcoms... just kidding people!!!!!!:laugh:

Hey, um, this thread is a little ahead of it's time... why don't you bring it out again in 2100 when Hispanics and African Americans will make up the majority of the population and white Americans will be in the minority.

I'm not kidding... it was estimated that by 2050, whites will no longer by in the majority in the USA. I hope I'm still around for that... it will be interesting. :)

Why??? The point is you should feel free to post wherever you want. But if that's how you feel then oh well. But do you want the technical answer, the PC answer or the reality? I suppose it doesn't matter so I'll give you both.

Nice post.

Originally posted by relatively prime
I'm not kidding... it was estimated that by 2050, whites will no longer by in the majority in the USA. I hope I'm still around for that... it will be interesting. :)

Uh... It is already like that in California and it isn't all that "interesting." Just normal.

I second Lilycat's sentiment, this is a nice post and I wish more people weren't so wrapped up in defining themselves in terms of ethnicity (which, in many instances, is so distant to them since many people don't even have any ties with where their ancestors came from).

Originally posted by Diogenes

Uh... It is already like that in California and it isn't all that "interesting." Just normal.

I hope you don't think I meant "interesting" in a bad way... I just wonder how (or if) things will change. Cali is just one state... the real change (if there is to be one) will be when the majority of Congress is non-white.

Oh relatively prime... it seems like karma is alive and well. I believe I slammed you for the same reason:rolleyes: Well let me officially and publically say touche you have my apologies.:love:

Um, thanks... I think. What are you talking about? Is this sarcastic? You posted this before I ever posted anything.

What the?!? You posted this before I even posted anything!... I don't get it... what did I do now?!

Silly billy.... Don't you remember in the Affirmative Action Thread!!! When I said that maybe you were getting flamed because you used black people as an example to your point?

Oh right... you know I meant to use Vincention people as an example. :D

LOL!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ahhhhh the happiness of an open forum **sigh**:clap:

I hope you don't think I meant "interesting" in a bad way... I just wonder how (or if) things will change. Cali is just one state... the real change (if there is to be one) will be when the majority of Congress is non-white.

I'm guessing the change in power structure will lag behind the demographics. California is less than 50% white, but more than 50% or our reps are white. It will come in time though.

Oh Well I guess people like categories. ***SIGH*** C'est la Chicken Gizzards!:(

Hey, um, this thread is a little ahead of it's time... why don't you bring it out again in 2100 when Hispanics and African Americans will make up the majority of the population and white Americans will be in the minority.

That is true to some extent. Whites will still be the largest group, they'll just be below 50% of the population, therefore not the majority anymore. And that's a hundred years from now. Maybe by then no one will think of themselves as Latino, White, Black, Asian, Irish, German, etc. etc. Maybe we'll be to the point of all being Americans.

Who cares if people start community specific threads. I am Indian, and I am American. Anyone, who thinks I should only be American has missed the point of America being a melting pot. We are not supposed to come here and homogenize, we are supposed to learn from other people's cultures and take the best of all worlds. I feel comfortable with my own people, as I do with others, but my people understand me in a different way that society doesn't. White's can start their own thing, but they already have it, it is called American society. American society understands whites, it was created by them, it favors them. Who gives a damn if whites become a minority in this country? It should not even be a discussion, as if it is some sort of problem, I think we will see more justice for everybody if that happens, no more links between property tax and school funding, no more bitching by trust fund babies that didn't get into stanford and had to settle for berkeley.

And we wonder why hate groups exist!:(

Originally posted by Adi Prasad
Who cares if people start community specific threads. I am Indian, and I am American. Anyone, who thinks I should only be American has missed the point of America being a melting pot. We are not supposed to come here and homogenize, we are supposed to learn from other people's cultures and take the best of all worlds.

I thought the whole melting pot analogy DID mean that we were supposed to homogenize. You take a lump of copper and a lump of tin, throw them into the melting pot and you get bronze - a new metal with the good qualities of both starting metals.

I wonder what populations will look like in 1000 years (if we haven't blown ourselves up by then.) I'll bet the lines between races will be much less clear... Just a little conjecture for a Wednesday afternoon.

And now I will call on our friendly neighborhood moderators to end the misery and potential danger and close these threads. I meant to show why they shouldn't exist but I guess it didn't work.
:(

"...I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring."

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"-- The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.

:(

Originally posted by daisygirl

I second Lilycat's sentiment, this is a nice post and I wish more people weren't so wrapped up in defining themselves in terms of ethnicity (which, in many instances, is so distant to them since many people don't even have any ties with where their ancestors came from).

Its a nice thought and I agree wholeheartedly, and i'd love to live in a world in which people didn't make silly inferences about my background or wonder why my girlfriend is Jewish, but how many people actually don't think like this (or more importantly, characterize OTHERS by their ethnicity)? Very few.

As much as a lot of people would like to be "just Americans", as it stands now that is a slightly short sighted way of thinking. As silvercholla did mention in her listings, there is something called "reality" that needs to be addressed before lunging towards the ideal.

Hey, what about those of us who are silver colored.

DW,

I gotta stick with ya on this one. I think ethnicity does portray a certain image of many people. Most people are guilty of stereotyping and or making generalizations about race or color.

Why do we stop at "we are all americans"???

Why not "We are all homosapiens"???

Why not "We are all organisms"??

B/c the world is a big place. We want to feel a part of something. There are so many levels of organization and as humans we enjoy making sense of these differences by putting them into some sort of organization...this time being racial and skin differences.

Like it or not, there are several cultural differences between people who are of different backgrounds, different upbringings, etc etc etc...it goes on and on.

I can say I tend to be attracted to one race more than another...is that automatically bad?

thanks for the heads up scooby. We're making progress as a global society, but within the last 60 years, Jews have been slaughtered by the millions, blacks have been denied civil rights by US legislature, Israelis and Arabs have traded jabs and missiles, ethnic cleansing in Serbia, apartheid in South Africa, lest we forget these minor nuggets of recent history.

I'm all for unity and cultural intergration. But please dont deny the very real influence of ethnicity in the world today.

And is cultural identity entirely bad? Am I to complain that the Chinese aren't celebrating the right new year, or the Irish have a holiday set to themselves, etc? Hell no, I love everything I learn about my lady's culture. We just need to acknowledge that we must work to alleviate the (ocassionally governmentally sponsored) repercussions that arise from these identities, not giving some empty "we're all the same and lets hold hands, and thats the end of all our problems" bullsh*t response. Ignoring any problem ONLY makes it worse, and THAT is why hatred exists today my friends.

If I've sounded a little terse, i truly do apologize, but its been an long day at CDC. Basically, Dick Cheney drops by unannounced this morning, no one hears about it until we get to work, and I almost get shot by some hornery secret service agents just walking to the cafeteria to get a bagel like I do every morning, so I've been a little on edge.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Exactly. You are an American. End of story...
WE ARE AMERICANS.

End of story

:)

I'm not. Can I still be your friend?

--:laugh: My bad; I just had to say that. It's all love:) .

Originally posted by DW
thanks for the heads up scooby. We're making progress as a global society, but within the last 60 years, Jews have been slaughtered by the millions, blacks have been denied civil rights by US legislature, Israelis and Arabs have traded jabs and missiles, ethnic cleansing in Serbia, apartheid in South Africa, lest we forget these minor nuggets of recent history.

I'm all for unity and cultural intergration. But please dont deny the very real influence of ethnicity in the world today.

And is cultural identity entirely bad? Am I to complain that the Chinese aren't celebrating the right new year, or the Irish have a holiday set to themselves, etc? Hell no, I love everything I learn about my lady's culture. We just need to acknowledge that we must work to alleviate the (ocassionally governmentally sponsored) repercussions that arise from these identities, not giving some empty "we're all the same and lets hold hands, and thats the end of all our problems" bullsh*t response. Ignoring any problem ONLY makes it worse, and THAT is why hatred exists today my friends.

I don't have any qualms with someone identifying with their cultural identity and I don't believe that American cultural principals should supercede someone's ethnic background (maybe I came off this way in my original post, but it really wasn't what I was trying to get at). Nor do I intend to deny how one's ethnicity is a factor in how one may be treated. However, what bothers me is that people seem to go out of their way as to differentiate themselves from others and this seems to cause so many problems. Problems such as the ones that you listed in the first paragraph of the above quote. One could assert that many of the inhumane acts on humanity were allowed to occur in the first place due to the ethnocentric attitude of those who took part (whether they were the perpetrators or the onlookers), as well as those who commit them today, in them. While I do understand that ethnocentrism is in no way the only reason behind atrocities committed by humans unto their brethern, it is more often than not used as a tool to convert the masses. History has taught us that people can be quite dismissive of those who are different than them (whether they are racially, ethnically, or culturally different), and *sometimes* this arrogance leads to the idealogy that those who are different are less human than us. How could the Holocaust, the genocide in Rwanda (and the genocide that still occurs today in the Congo that we never hear about), etc... occur if it weren't for ethnocentrism. There are people that appreciate and respect others who are of a different ethnicity, however, it seems to me that the yearning to distinguish oneself leads to a dismissive and sometimes dangerous attitude.

Maybe I am a bit sensitive to this issue- I am catholic and my husband is jewish, and our religious differences led to much strife (his family, not mine). I am an idealist, too much so at times- I just wish people could appreciate and respect each other based on the fact that we are all human, instead of focusing on how we are different from each other.

Totally agree...

Actually, awhile ago I saw a thread of similar nature in asking for "asian female." after seeing that post, I was gonna start one for some random "_____ male."

Another thing i find very interesting is that here listed all ethnic backgroup specifically excep "Asians." Are all Asians the same? Not trying to be a separatist here but i have actually heard of universities have French speaking dorms, spanish speaking dorms and and Asian speaking dorms. hm... I must say. I speak mandarin and Taiwanese but if some one come up and speak Japanese to me.. I would have no idea what they are talking about
My point here is that please be careful using that single term of Asian. Each Asian countries have her own rich culture and may be very different from the others.

ps. just glad that "orientals" are no longer in use!

Well I am really surprised!!!! i expected to wake this morning and see this and the other threads closed. hhhmmmmmm! Anyway you are right penguin. Asian is too general. But I have also noticed that people (at least the people I have met) feel uncomfortable saying that a particular person is Chinese, or Japanese, or Vietnamese. I think that partly it's because historically people have called all people of "Asian" decent Chinese. So a new comfort level had to be found. First oriental now it's Asian. It's the same thing with Negro, I mean, Colored, I mean, Afro American, I mean African American, I mean, Black....

You know what?... It's too damn early in the morning for this!

Originally posted by daisygirl

Maybe I am a bit sensitive to this issue- I am catholic and my husband is jewish, and our religious differences led to much strife (his family, not mine).

hey, so we've got something in common. How are you managing that one? I'm going on a year with my gf, and I have yet to make the family aware that I'm dating a jewish girl. Its not going to be pretty when it comes to pass, I call tell you that much :rolleyes:

When I was younger, I would find it strange when there were things like "Black Miss America", but not "White Miss America"...but now I'm just used to it and it doesn't strike me as odd anymore.

You make it sound as if Hispanics can't be "white". Latinos can be racially Asian (indigenous North or South American Indians), Caucasian (example: Southern European descendants such as boxer Oscar de la Hoya or singer Marc Anthony) or Black-African (example: Brazilian soccer player, Pele) or bi-racially Asian/Caucasian (exampe: Jennifer Lopez).

Also, not all "whites" (or "light-skinned people") are Caucasian and not all Caucasians are "white"...they can be "people of color" as well.

Of the 3 races (Asian, Black-African, Caucasian), skin color does not necessarily determine one's race.

There are light-skinned ASIANS:
northern Chinese, Koreans, Mongolians, North American native Indians/Eskimos/Aleutians...

and

dark-skinned ASIANS ("people of color"):
South East Asians (Vietnamese, Thailand, etc...), South American/Central American/Caribbean/Mexican indigenous native Indians, Polynesians (natives of Tahiti, Samoa, Hawaii, etc...).

And there are light-skinned CAUCASIANS:
Europeans, Russians...

and

dark-skinned CAUCASIANS ("people of color"):
People from North Africa and the Middle East (Libyans, Morrocans, Egyptians, Palestinians, Syrians, etc...), people from Western Asia (Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc...) and people from India.

Sorry but Indians are not Caucasians, we are as you call them "dark skinned asian" or South Asian. I agree with much of what you said about hispanics but there is no way Indians are caucasian, ask any anthropologist.

Originally posted by INeedAdvice
When I was younger, I would find it strange when there were things like "Black Miss America", but not "White Miss America"...but now I'm just used to it and it doesn't strike me as odd anymore.

You make it sound as if Hispanics can't be "white". Latinos can be racially Asian (indigenous North or South American Indians), Caucasian (example: Southern European descendants such as boxer Oscar de la Hoya or singer Marc Anthony) or Black-African (example: Brazilian soccer player, Pele) or bi-racially Asian/Caucasian (exampe: Jennifer Lopez).

Also, not all "whites" (or "light-skinned people") are Caucasian and not all Caucasians are "white"...they can be "people of color" as well.

Of the 3 races (Asian, Black-African, Caucasian), skin color does not necessarily determine one's race.

There are light-skinned ASIANS:
northern Chinese, Koreans, Mongolians, North American native Indians/Eskimos/Aleutians...

and

dark-skinned ASIANS ("people of color"):
South East Asians (Vietnamese, Thailand, etc...), South American/Central American/Caribbean/Mexican indigenous native Indians, Polynesians (natives of Tahiti, Samoa, Hawaii, etc...).

And there are light-skinned CAUCASIANS:
Europeans, Russians...

and

dark-skinned CAUCASIANS ("people of color"):
People from North Africa and the Middle East (Libyans, Morrocans, Egyptians, Palestinians, Syrians, etc...), people from Western Asia (Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc...) and people from India.

One more thing, the people you call native Indians are nothing but native Americans, whatever be their racial stock. I am from India and not only do I have nothing in common with native americans, I think they would equally resent being denied their actual title whatever it is.

Originally posted by Adi Prasad
Sorry but Indians are not Caucasians, we are as you call them "dark skinned asian" or South Asian. I agree with much of what you said about hispanics but there is no way Indians are caucasian, ask any anthropologist.

indians r definitely classified as caucasians by anthropologists. so r persians, arabians, etc. they r not classified as mongoloid (which r the chinese, southeast china, japan, etc)

Hey guys what do you all think that physician offices that accept medicare and medicaid are mandated to have a translator in their offices in some states? hello are we not in an English speaking country? by the way I am Latina so no flames regarding "oh my gosh how could you say that blah blah blah". I think (and every other freaking country in the world works this way) that if you choose to move to X or Y place you need to learn X or Y language and assimilate to their culture a little bit. By this I do not mean that you should completely forget where you came from or your cultural self either, just trying to adapt to the new country that accepted you. Now I do understand that some folks move here at an older age where learning a new language is not too feasible, but then they should bring someone with them to the doc so that person should translate. Making others (physicians) responsible for a choice thta you make (by leaving native country to better yourself/family) is just a bunch of crock. No wonder physicians do not or cannot take medicare/medicaid. I am not implying here that at hospital ER's were it could be life or death (maybe less times than more) we should not have a translator, that is a total different scenario. I do think that at a hospital where people are usually sicker and need more there shold be a translator. Anyway I know someone will be offended by this post, so from the get go I am sorry if I offended you.

Originally posted by DW

hey, so we've got something in common. How are you managing that one? I'm going on a year with my gf, and I have yet to make the family aware that I'm dating a jewish girl. Its not going to be pretty when it comes to pass, I call tell you that much :rolleyes:

I think there's a smidgen less anxiety in a Jewish family about their daughter dating a non-Jewish man, than about their son dating a non-Jewish woman. It's all about the mitochondrial DNA.;) :laugh:

Originally posted by dr kevin40
indians r definitely classified as caucasians by anthropologists. so r persians, arabians, etc. they r not classified as mongoloid (which r the chinese, southeast china, japan, etc)

Aren't the Caucasus Mountains (sp?), the "origin" of the Caucasian race in Iran? I always think its funny when white people make racial comments about people from the middle east when I think of this.

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

I can say I tend to be attracted to one race more than another...is that automatically bad?

I don't think goats count as a race, Scoob. :D

Originally posted by Bikini Princess

I don't think goats count as a race, Scoob. :D

How YOU doin?!?!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Exactly. You are an American. End of story...
WE ARE AMERICANS.

End of story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not. Can I still be your friend?

-- My bad; I just had to say that. It's all love .

yeah - can't non-americans get in on the action?:D