?More Competitive? D.D.S.<>M.D.<>D.O<>O.D.<>Pharm D<>DPM<>Law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is usually a discussion on the SDN forum on which of the professional schools is more difficult in terms of acceptance. Other than a trip on ego lane, the only ones that may be interested in these stats are those who have not made a decision in which career path to choose. Some have suggested that vet schools are more difficult to gain entrance because there are only a limited number of schools. The information given in this post is by no means to be construed as the ultimate ranking. It is included only for reference.

It is difficult to obtain accurate information for pharmacy schools. AACP lists the number of applications rather than the number of applicants. Other references use those interchangeably. (For 2004 the ratio of applicants to enrollees for pharmacy schools was 1.7.)

For those of you who are really interested in seeing statistical information at its best you need to check out those for law schools.

www.abanet.org/legaled/statistics/stats.html then go to Statistics and then to

"Official Guide to ABA-aproved Law Schools" 2007 Ed. Left Page 1 Data, Left Page 2 Data and R Page Data

Code:
					Ratio		
		# Sch # App   # Enr	App/Enr	GPA O	GPA Sci

Podiat 	2005	8	696	467	1.5	3.2	3.00
Optom   2005	17	2653	1413	1.9	3.43	
Osteop	2005	23	8255	3908	2.1	3.54	3.36
Vet	2006	28	5192	2645	1.7	3.55	
Dental	2006	56	10731	4558	2.4	3.44	3.52
Pharm	2005	104	?????	10506	???	3.47	3.37
MD	2006	125	39108	17370	2.3	3.64	3.57
Law	2006	201	137000	48937	2.8	3.30

Members don't see this ad.

Great job. Very interesting. Dent schools may slightly be more competitive than med schools in terms of acceptance %age but med schools still attracts people with higher gpas.

The data is so generalized and with so many variables that it is extremely difficult to use it in an attempt to make a concrete statement. It does beg the question, however, as to why you (or anybody) needs an "ultimate ranking". What is more competitive should be a non-issue, and to be frank it typically is unless you are a pre-dental student.

Members don't see this ad :)
The data is so generalized and with so many variables that it is extremely difficult to use it in an attempt to make a concrete statement. It does beg the question, however, as to why you (or anybody) needs an "ultimate ranking". What is more competitive should be a non-issue, and to be frank it typically is unless you are a pre-dental student.

Pre-dents only care about MD vs DDS. My theory is that it all goes back to that joke about dentists being medical school drop-outs or whatever it was. I guess it's enough to give some people complexes. Some insecure med students just love the opportunity to rub it in too. I don't really see what the big deal is. A physician can't do the job of a dentist and a dentist can't do the job of a physician. The two are pretty exclusive.

Pre-dents only care about MD vs DDS. My theory is that it all goes back to that joke about dentists being medical school drop-outs or whatever it was. I guess it's enough to give some people complexes. Some insecure med students just love the opportunity to rub it in too. I don't really see what the big deal is. A physician can't do the job of a dentist and a dentist can't do the job of a physician. The two are pretty exclusive.

The insecurity seems to rest with us. Doctors think they're Gods. Surgeons especially. This topic comes up with dentists and few others.

Ever seen UCLA's secondary? That's the worst. They want your entire medical history...er, medical school history. Have you applied? Have you ever thought of applying? Do you even know what a doctor is?

To all, we need to get over this topic. The problem's us more than anything else.

The insecurity seems to rest with us. Doctors think they're Gods. Surgeons especially. This topic comes up with dentists and few others.

Ever seen UCLA's secondary? That's the worst. They want your entire medical history...er, medical school history. Have you applied? Have you ever thought of applying? Do you even know what a doctor is?

To all, we need to get over this topic. The problem's us more than anything else.

Agreed...yet it is understandable. It shouldn't be that way. They are different fields with different specialties even if they are linked by problem solving, diagnostics, prevention, treatment etc.

I used to want to go into medicine. I told my parents for years. When I met with some, observed with some...they said they wouldn't recommend their children go into it. This had a huge impact on me checking out the dental field. I'm glad I did.

A question that pops up or is addressed every once in a while: Dentistry vs. Vet vs. DO vs Medicine, which is better. Unfortunately, there is always something or someone "better".

When does it end? The trick is to be happy with who you are, what decision you've made and your place in life.

I agree with the general sentiment here, however, we dentists are "doctors" also. Most of us graduate with the D.D.S. degree, which also classifies us as "surgeons" in our field( I do understand that a portion of dentists are D.M.D.'s as well...).

I only say this because there is nothing more irritating to many admissions committees during interviews than hearing an applicant say, "I used to want to be a doctor, but now I want to be a dentist!" This should read, "I used to want to be a physician, but now I wish to be a dentist."

Again, I only write this as a heads up for many future interviewees. I interview on a committee with a lot of "old-school" dentists who hate nothing more than when potential dentists forget that they are indeed hoping to enter a profession which will have people calling them "doctor" (to be perfectly honest, i hate when they call people out on this!! but I suppose it's true...).

Everyone goes into a profession for their own personal reasons, whatever they may be. I, along with most of you can't stand all the comparisons, competition, etc between all the various healthcare fields. Use your journey and experiences as the force to attain your goals, not the fact that "your field IS more competitive than the next guy's."

Seriously, red is so much better than blue. It has such a higher wavelength, I can't even begin to think about how stupid you are for defending blue!

then i suppose i must contend that red is for tools. you sir, are a first class tool.

TOOL.

clearly blue is the more superior color. Consider the following:

1) blue man group
2) Eiffel 65’s “Blue”
2) the ocean
3) blueberries
4) THE SKY

also consider the color blue’s higher frequency (a characteristic far superior to the color red's higher wavelength)

honestly, do you even realize how foolish you sound? do you?

obviously blue...throw in some gold in there and we're talkin' business

then i suppose i must contend that red is for tools. you sir, are a first class tool.

TOOL.

clearly blue is the more superior color. Consider the following:

1) blue man group
2) Eiffel 65’s “Blue”
2) the ocean
3) blueberries
4) THE SKY

also consider the color blue’s higher frequency (a characteristic far superior to the color red's higher wavelength)

honestly, do you even realize how foolish you sound? do you?

Quit your pathetic, sad excuses: everyone knows blue is just a back-up color for people who couldn't make it with red.

Just accept that you'll never be a real color.

Quit your pathetic, sad excuses: everyone knows blue is just a back-up color for people who couldn't make it with red.

Just accept that you'll never be a real color.

:laugh:

i guess i'll just have to settle for blue then...the easy color, and continually remind people that it is INDEED a color

When I look at that data, I think, Why in the heck do we need approximately 50,000 new lawyers every year?! That is an incredibley high number. It's also kinda of depressing. :smuggrin:

Which parts are you finding so generalized- the GPA or the applicants/enrollees ratio? Where exactly are seeing so many variables that are creating so much confusion?
Whether one is competitive or not is an issue for those with high sights but low GPA and low scores on admission tests.

cross-posting in multiple forums is not allowed, please choose the most appropriate forum for a thread and post it there only- see open thread in all students
closing

Status
Not open for further replies.