Education Major and Freshman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bygrace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here and I've been reading a lot on this website and there is definitely some great info... thank you! but I have just two questions...

1) As a pre-medical student, do you think majoring in Education (K-12) is a good idea? My main goal is to attend medical school [of course] but I should always have a backup plan, right? I really would like to work with kids... do you think this is an appropriate path? too much to handle? or please give me your input!

2) There are so many topics on Volunteer work, research, extracurriculars, etc. However... what do YOU think is the best way to spend FRESHMAN year(undergrad)? For all the experienced students, what do you regret NOT doing in freshman year, that would've bettered your chances for med school? What are the BEST ways to prepare for med. school in one's freshman year as an undergrad.?

Thank you so much =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here and I've been reading a lot on this website and there is definitely some great info... thank you! but I have just two questions...

1) As a pre-medical student, do you think majoring in Education (K-12) is a good idea? My main goal is to attend medical school [of course] but I should always have a backup plan, right? I really would like to work with kids... do you think this is an appropriate path? too much to handle? or please give me your input!

It is not a good idea, IMHO. The education courses that are generally required are a joke (good for your gpa but not for your education) and the time when you would/should be interviewing for admission to medical school you'll be tied down with student teaching.
2) There are so many topics on Volunteer work, research, extracurriculars, etc. However... what do YOU think is the best way to spend FRESHMAN year(undergrad)? For all the experienced students, what do you regret NOT doing in freshman year, that would've bettered your chances for med school? What are the BEST ways to prepare for med. school in one's freshman year as an undergrad.?

Study and get good grades. Do something service related that you feel passionate about. Do something that you think is fun. Do something to maintain your physical fitness. Stay out of trouble (steer clear of booze, academic dishonesty, and criminal activity of any kind). Have fun.

It is not a good idea, IMHO. The education courses that are generally required are a joke (good for your gpa but not for your education) and the time when you would/should be interviewing for admission to medical school you'll be tied down with student teaching.

I second LizzyM here...my friends who were education majors had great grades, but little to show for it. Taking real classes will help you learn a great deal more, and your GPA will be a lot more meaningful.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thank you so much LizzyM and ssquared!

I just spoke with my teacher today and she actually recommended an education major background! I guess not... hm...

and as for the service-related activities and volutnteering, do you think it is a good idea to begin such activities in the first semester of freshman year? I have read that a good amount of volunteer hours is key for admission into medical school... when should I start volunteering?

... when should I start volunteering?

When you find something that you are passionate about and willing to commit to for the long haul (understanding that if it is not a good fit you can cut out later). Maybe something will jump out at you in your first week at school... maybe it will take awhile to find something that you can feel passionate about. When you find yourself saying "this is important...they need me... I can make a difference" then go for it. Don't do it because you need it for your application, do it because society needs you (and each of us) to pitch in and do our part.

Undergrad for pre-meds is the opportunity to either plunge hard into the sciences, or really appreciate and enjoy the humanities. Either route is fine according to my understanding. I agree - take some intro courses and discover what you are passionate about.

and as for the service-related activities and volutnteering, do you think it is a good idea to begin such activities in the first semester of freshman year? I have read that a good amount of volunteer hours is key for admission into medical school... when should I start volunteering?
I would generally suggest not volunteering until after your first semester has passed, unless it was already a regular aspect of your life in high school. The main reason for it is that transitioning to college is difficult for some people, and it's best to focus on academics your first semester so you can work on your time management, making friends, getting to know your profs, etc. Then once you feel comfortable, broaden your horizons by volunteering off campus starting in the spring semester - or even later if you need to work on your GPA more. A weak GPA in one semester will have a lot more negative impact on your app than having 50 hours fewer for volunteering.

Almost everyone has bad grades freshman year. Make sure you spend ample time studying and LEARNING HOW TO STUDY. Begin volunteering once a week at the ER. This will tell you quickly whether you have the guts for medicine or if you are after the glory. Also, it will help tremendously if you have 4 yrs volunteering in a hospital. Good Luck!

*** If you have time this summer, you could start volunteering at a hospital already... That would help get you into a routine and more settled.

Well, I agree with Lizzy on this one. The Ad Coms will not take education courses seriously because they are not intellectually challenging. The only subject more cake is sociology. Do not take sociology if you want to be taken seriously. Other than that, go for it, and take geology if at all possible. Geology is highly respected...if you understand rocks, then, you understand the basis for everything. When our sun explodes, and the oceans evaporate, what will be left? Not life, not even doctors, just rocks and sand. Geology. Good luck.

During Freshman year, you should try to get adjusted to the school and environment. High School /= College.

Well, I agree with Lizzy on this one. The Ad Coms will not take education courses seriously because they are not intellectually challenging. The only subject more cake is sociology. Do not take sociology if you want to be taken seriously. Other than that, go for it, and take geology if at all possible. Geology is highly respected...if you understand rocks, then, you understand the basis for everything. When our sun explodes, and the oceans evaporate, what will be left? Not life, not even doctors, just rocks and sand. Geology. Good luck.

:laugh:
Thanks for the laugh =]

Do yourself a favor, and don't drink. At home, it's not a huge deal, but it'll cost you at school. Find a better way to relax than going out and partying.

And if you want to work with kids, you could always volunteer at a daycare, or something similar. (Do I see peds in your future? :D) Take a few science classes, take an education class or two, and see where your passion truly lies.

True... geology owns.