Adding diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would some SDN members answer the question "How will you add diversity to our med school class?" I'm completely lost as I'm still in Personal Statement mode where I can write about anything that relates to medicine.

I can I get like brief 1-2 sentence blurbs that would summarize how you'd add to a med school class? I need it for an optional TMDSAS essay. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you can talk about your experiences with other cultures, your cultural sensitivity, your own unique experience which will help your classmates understand more about people like you - whether it's being a minority, an immigrant, or a non-trad.

Also use a different academic focus. For instance, when I applied I"d worked on newspapers as a journalism minor and played in orchestras/bands, so I wrote about how I could bring the ideals from those fields to medicine as well and teach classmates about that. Also emphasize how you'd like to learn from other diverse individuals about their fields/cultures.

Members don't see this ad :)
This really can't be that hard to answer.... if there is anything unique about you at all, talk about that. Let's face it, a lot of premeds are very similar. What makes you different? I'll tell you what I remember writing in a very similar question:

I grew up in a working class family in TN. My father owns a small construction company, and I spent my summers working construction. I basically have a different set of life experiences and skills.

Obviously, I did not phrase it that way, but essentially, that is what I said. No matter how you want to slice it, I am NOT like most of the kids out there in a lot of ways. So I mentioned a little about why I was different. Just do the same.

Lol, a real quick crack at it.

I'm 18. I'm "young" but pretty mature. Graduate college next year. I see the world through a different viewpoint that most. I've worked hard to overcome most of the stigmas of my age. I'm African-American (really don't see to many on a college campus). Parents were born in Africa so they've constantly told me of what great opportunity I have here in the US.

Hmm.. but is that really worth making an essay out of? I mean, it's just that I don't really think of it as special that much. meh. Oh well. CommentS? :p

By bringing polydactyly to the class.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: any med school class that has one or more polydactyls, i would definitely be part of. i :love: polydactyly!!!

but in reality, i agree with the other posters. they're really looking for anything at all that sets you apart and makes you interesting. i was stuck on this question too but in retrospect they are just looking to make up a diverse class of unique people, so be yourself, not what you think they want. like dating!

By bringing polydactyly to the class.
Big deal...I've got 3 kidneys and an extra loop in my small intestine. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:
TAKE ME, TAKE ME, TAKE ME!!!!:smuggrin:

Big deal...I've got 3 kidneys and an extra loop in my small intestine. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:
TAKE ME, TAKE ME, TAKE ME!!!!:smuggrin:

I'll see your extra kidneys, and raise you ascending, transverse, descending, and *protruding* colons. So n'yah... :D

And don't even get me started on my quantum feet.

I'll see your extra kidneys, and raise you ascending, transverse, descending, and *protruding* colons. So n'yah... :D

And don't even get me started on my quantum feet.
You know what else I have? My 3rd toe on the left foot is shorter than the 2nd one, but my 3rd toe on the right foot is LONGER than the 2nd one!:smuggrin: TAKE THAT!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just claim to be homosexual. Quick and easy, and there's no way for them to disprove it--if they get skeptical, just act offended and call them homophobic!

-_- Anyone going to answer my question before the more weirdness creeps in? My thread has been taken over by people complaining which disadvantanged is better than the other!

-_- Anyone going to answer my question before the more weirdness creeps in? My thread has been taken over by people complaining which disadvantanged is better than the other!

Well, what makes you different from all the other science nerds? Race? Sex? Hobbies? Perspective? Experience?

Well, what makes you different from all the other science nerds? Race? Sex? Hobbies? Perspective? Experience?

... How can you be different in sex? There's only 2! o_O

If i'm not mistaken, there is another part to that essay on the TMDSAS "or provide educational benefits to the student body". So that is an another angle you can come from.

I personally talked about my experiences with Big Bros. Big Sisters of America, and how I guided my little sib through tough times, and how it opened my eyes to seeing the potential in everyone, and helping them bring that out etc etc.

My med. advisor here at A&M (which is very good at what she does) told us that this is an essay to talk about how you are unique and what you will bring to the school if they accept you.

By the way, this essay for all intents and purposes is not optional. :hardy:
The other one is.

That's because it is kind of a dumb question. That's not a personal attack, mind you. Is this for Pitt?

It's not really a trick question. Seriously, just write about how you are different. I am in a boring situation, too (white, upper-middle class, biology major, median GPA, fairly sane, straight) so I tried to write about choices that make me different instead of situations I was born into.

edit: oh, TMSDAS.

Perspective huh? You think mentioning how drug use opened your eyes and gives you a unique perspective would get you in trouble? I mean, it seems to be the kind of stuff they're looking for, but I'm not sure I'd feel good disclosing that information like that...

That's because it is kind of a dumb question. That's not a personal attack, mind you. Is this for Pitt?

It's not really a trick question. Seriously, just write about how you are different. I am in a boring situation, too (white, upper-middle class, biology major, median GPA, fairly sane, straight) so I tried to write about choices that make me different instead of situations I was born into.

edit: oh, TMSDAS.

Thanks. I'll try the choices approach. Seems a lot safer to talk about to. :D

Only on SDN would an 18 year old black guy with immigrant parents ask for help on a diversity essay.

There isn't really any way anyone can help you put together an essay as to how you are unique/add diversity. Any advice that has been used by others will by definition be less than unique. If you are saying your background and experiences are the same as everyone else and so want to know how others may have answered it, then you cannot really answer the question.

Only on SDN would an 18 year old black guy with immigrant parents ask for help on a diversity essay.

Only mentioning that I'm 18 and black isn't exactly stuff I want to depend on. Too much politics and immaturity that can appear and screw that up. :p

LOL. . . seriously, this essay is probably the easiest essay you'll have to write. You know yourself better than anyone, so why are you asking others what they would write? :confused:

Just ask yourself why you are different from others. It really is that easy.

LOL. . . seriously, this essay is probably the easiest essay you'll have to write. You know yourself better than anyone, so why are you asking others what they would write? :confused:

Just ask yourself why you are different from others. It really is that easy.

ok, ok. I get your point. Geez. Lemme go write it them have you people chew it up for breakfast. Thanks.

Only mentioning that I'm 18 and black isn't exactly stuff I want to depend on. Too much politics and immaturity that can appear and screw that up. :p

That better be a joke. It took me forever to think of which "choices make me diverse" like I recommended the OP do. For some reason, choosing between boxers and briefs didn't seem to cut it!

"Only mentioning that I'm 18 and black isn't exactly stuff I want to depend on. Too much politics and immaturity that can appear and screw that up. :p"

Then focus on the immigrant parents option.

I don't want to be too blunt, but your status as URM combined with the strength of your numbers makes you an incredibly well qualified applicant. You should get comfortable with that fact. I don't think you even need to point it out in this essay at all if you don't want to. The "diversity" box will already be checked in their heads, you know?

They'll already know from your application that you are a URM and you've probably mentioned the immigration background in your PS. You could briefly mention these again if you wanted, but I'm sure it would be most refreshing for them to read something new and different from a black applicant than contributing to racial/ethnic diversity. I've always heard, of course, that it is good for URMs to be involved with ethnic/racial organizations representing their respective backgrounds to demonstrate how you would continue to be involved with these groups in the future as a medical practitioner. So, by all means, mention these roles you've held, if applicable.

But beyond these roles, perhaps you could comment on something else that sets you apart. Academic or musical talent? Are you a concert pianist or award-winning swingdancer? How would this let you contribute to the medical school environment or benefit patients? Unique experiences? Where you live in the US? There are many potential answers to the question of diversity other than race.

[I give this response because you came on SDN with a seemingly straightforward question - so here's a non-trad answer].

They'll already know from your application that you are a URM and you've probably mentioned the immigration background in your PS. You could briefly mention these again if you wanted, but I'm sure it would be most refreshing for them to read something new and different from a black applicant than contributing to racial/ethnic diversity. I've always heard, of course, that it is good for URMs to be involved with ethnic/racial organizations representing their respective backgrounds to demonstrate how you would continue to be involved with these groups in the future as a medical practitioner. So, by all means, mention these roles you've held, if applicable.

But beyond these roles, perhaps you could comment on something else that sets you apart. Academic or musical talent? Are you a concert pianist or award-winning swingdancer? How would this let you contribute to the medical school environment or benefit patients? Unique experiences? Where you live in the US? There are many potential answers to the question of diversity other than race.

[I give this response because you came on SDN with a seemingly straightforward question - so here's a non-trad answer].

You see, the thing is that I already directly mentioned both in my personal statement. I know for the TMDSAS app, you should do at least one of the two optional essays, but I don't feel like being redundant.

As for those who say, "You're black, you're automatically diverse (or something to that extent)", I've really tried all my life NOT to be stereotyped in such a way. From being interested in computers instead of sports like most African-americans to going to a academic program where there was literally 1 other black guy out of 200 students... :rolleyes:

hmm...

now, if only I can put that rant in essay form without sounding like an dingus. :p

I've really tried all my life NOT to be stereotyped in such a way. From being interested in computers instead of sports like most African-americans to going to a academic program where there was literally 1 other black guy out of 200 students... :rolleyes:

It seems to me that in your quest to "not be stereotyped," you're simply distancing yourself from other African Americans. From reading your numerous posts, it appears that you don't know how to cope with being African American. Therefore, you continuously ask questions about how to deal with URM issues as if you are not a URM. By the way, being one of two African-Americans in a class of 200 students and being interested in computers will not remove stereotypes. It also does not make you unique or better than other African Americans who just happen to like sports. You should stop pretending that you do not know the answers to your rhetorical questions. God knows you post enough. lol Good luck with everything, though. :)

Do white guys into asian girls add to diversity?

Originally Posted by TheRealMD

There's hermaphrodites as well. They have to be in a class of their own.

Geesh RealMD...you are biased already...and what about all those shim's out there (transgenders)...you can't leave them out!!!!!;);):p

How YOU Doin?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
(no one will ever understand that until they listen to the shock jock Wendy Williams)

Do you mean immaturity (in terms of age, etc...) on your part or are your refering to others who may be immature

It seems to me that in your quest to "not be stereotyped," you're simply distancing yourself from other African Americans. From reading your numerous posts, it appears that you don't know how to cope with being African American. Therefore, you continuously ask questions about how to deal with URM issues as if you are not a URM. By the way, being one of two African-Americans in a class of 200 students and being interested in computers will not remove stereotypes. It also does not make you unique or better than other African Americans who just happen to like sports. You should stop pretending that you do not know the answers to your rhetorical questions. God knows you post enough. lol Good luck with everything, though. :)

I wanted to say the same thing...but I figured it would go in one ear and out the other.

But I do want to second what you have typed!:thumbup::thumbup:

Got Rice?

not if they lost to UNC in the semi-finals!

I think they did...but hey...I can't get mad at my boys for getting this far...especially when our SAT entrance requirements are much higher (but I dont mean to sound pretentious)

I think what schools are looking for in terms of "diversity" is something unique about your upbringing/background that has impacted your personal growth. Race may or may not play a role. If you grew up facing discrimination, or if your race affected how people perceived you, I would definitely mention it. The affect of race is directly dependent on your environment. A black person growing up in a town free of prejudice, would probably have nothing to talk about in his PS. Think about your environment and upbringing. What has affected you most? Maybe being a computer-guy defines you more than being a black person. Like I mentioned in another thread, I identify myself with my religion before my race.

Mmk. advice taken.

The question is there to discriminate against non-URMs. They should just be honest and have you check "accepted" or "rejected" based on your race.

The question is there to discriminate against non-URMs. They should just be honest and have you check "accepted" or "rejected" based on your race.

Of course it is gary!!!! :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:...Insecure, maybe?

...Insecure, maybe?

I'm not insecure at all. I think that race should not be a factor in admissions for ungrad, grad, or employment. It is hypocritical to profess to treat everyone equally and then to use race to choose people.

It doesn't affect me personally - my scores are more than high enough. But I have a problem with it in principle.

Lol, a real quick crack at it.

I'm 18. I'm "young" but pretty mature. Graduate college next year. I see the world through a different viewpoint that most. I've worked hard to overcome most of the stigmas of my age. I'm African-American (really don't see to many on a college campus). Parents were born in Africa so they've constantly told me of what great opportunity I have here in the US.

Hmm.. but is that really worth making an essay out of? I mean, it's just that I don't really think of it as special that much. meh. Oh well. CommentS? :p

I would say, don't bring up the fact that you are young. Focus on you being African-American and add something extra to it, something you like to do, a hobby, a serious disease you had to overcome, financial problems, etc.. You just want to distinguish yourself from other applicants. But being young, it's something i wouldn't want to accentuate in my app.

EDIT: DON'T focus on being African-American (i changed my mind after reading the entire post), if you brought that up in your PS, that's already enough. Talk about maybe your struggles, your motivations for pursuing medicine, your view of medicine and what you want to do. In my PS, I did not mention that I was asian/brasilian at all, but I did so in the additional essay mention that and how having to move from place to place (never staying at a place for more than 2 year) and suffering through discrimination (mainly in Brazil) and always having financial concerns (not having a matress until I was 16ish) made me stronger, etc. Then I also mentioned that I would like to one day return to Brazil and work with indigenous people and learn about their use of Amazon plants for healing. Something weird like that would suffice.

I would say, don't bring up the fact that you are young. Focus on you being African-American and add something extra to it, something you like to do, a hobby, a serious disease you had to overcome, financial problems, etc.. You just want to distinguish yourself from other applicants. But being young, it's something i wouldn't want to accentuate in my app.

EDIT: DON'T focus on being African-American (i changed my mind after reading the entire post), if you brought that up in your PS, that's already enough. Talk about maybe your struggles, your motivations for pursuing medicine, your view of medicine and what you want to do. In my PS, I did not mention that I was asian/brasilian at all, but I did so in the additional essay mention that and how having to move from place to place (never staying at a place for more than 2 year) and suffering through discrimination (mainly in Brazil) and always having financial concerns (not having a matress until I was 16ish) made me stronger, etc. Then I also mentioned that I would like to one day return to Brazil and work with indigenous people and learn about their use of Amazon plants for healing. Something weird like that would suffice.

The real problem is not explaining how I am diverse, but trying to avoid rehashing my personal statement because I really went all out on that.

And yea, being African-American isn't a focus at all. Nothing meaningful comes from that or age. I'm just having difficulty showing I'm mature without sounding too boastful in the process.

I agree that it's different for each person. Focus on something that you did that you feel will make you stand out from others.

For my diversity essays, I went on the angle that I went to a smaller liberal arts undergrad and so had a broad exposure to the humanities. I also enrolled in the humanities based honors college there and received a minor in humanities (needed to write a thesis for that in addition to many more discussion based courses).

So for one of these questions I wrote about how I overcame my white trash roots to become the first college grad in the fam. My fam (immediate and extended) is littered with alcoholics, chain-smokers, and illicit drug users. I have a couple of forty-something aunts who live with their mother. Pops dropped out of high school. I couldn't go on class field trips because I couldn't afford them. I've worked continuously since I was about 14. etc. I included this stuff because I think I have extensive connections to a subset of the population that most typical premeds don't.

(Also wrote about how I overcame a really nasty case of asthma to become a state champion gymnast and all-american in track).

Should I have mentioned the white trash thing? I was just being honest, but it seems risky, in retrospect. :confused:Too late to change it, I guess. Sorry, OP, if I'm stealing into your post.