Do all DO Schools require a Bachelors now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcdrt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all of the DO Schools now require a Bachelors degree? I've looked up several and recently it looks like they all have that requirement now.

Members don't see this ad.

Do all of the DO Schools now require a Bachelors degree? I've looked up several and recently it looks like they all have that requirement now.

It is pretty much expected at all medical schools, whether it is required or not. The official requirements at each school may vary, some listing the manditory credit hours that need to be fulfilled and perhaps others requiring a bachelor's. Either way, it is uncommon to not have at least a bachelor's degree prior to, or upon, matriculation.

I am degree-less, and don't plan on getting one~~~ that didn't matter to MSUCOM apparently, as they still decided to accept me?....

Many DO schools do require a degree--- some dont, but have minimum credit requirements...

Members don't see this ad :)
So let me get this straight, I really need to know this since I'm planning on applying very soon.

I know that some schools state that if you don't have a bachelors you need atleast 90 credit semester hours and I know that some once you've been accepted without a bachelors they will work with your undergrad institution and transfer some credits so that you are able to obtain a degree.

But, lets say I have 80-85 credit hours by the time I plan on applying and by the time of matriculation I'll have 100 hrs, how do I let the schools know that I'm applying but by the time I matriculate I will not have a bachelors degree?

Is there some sort of designation area on all apps where I can state this OR will I have to let them know at the interview? I am a little confused about this.

Can someone give me some insight please?

Thanks....

It all depends on the school... Some will accept you, but contigent on you finishing certain things. I really wouldn't want to apply with the goal of getting accepted without a bachelors. They are the pretty rare exception, and for the amount of time/money invested you can take slightly heavier course load and finish out the degree. I finished with 150 credit hours without trying too hard to load myself up..just happened. I'm not sure I'd exclusivley SAY I'm not going to finish out the degree. Just look on the app and if there is a spot there is spot..if not then don't put anything. It is something I'd kind of dance around until asked about it. If accepted, I'm sure it'll say what they expect from you before matriculation.

So let me get this straight, I really need to know this since I'm planning on applying very soon.

I know that some schools state that if you don't have a bachelors you need atleast 90 credit semester hours and I know that some once you've been accepted without a bachelors they will work with your undergrad institution and transfer some credits so that you are able to obtain a degree.

But, lets say I have 80-85 credit hours by the time I plan on applying and by the time of matriculation I'll have 100 hrs, how do I let the schools know that I'm applying but by the time I matriculate I will not have a bachelors degree?

Is there some sort of designation area on all apps where I can state this OR will I have to let them know at the interview? I am a little confused about this.

Can someone give me some insight please?

Thanks....

You should talk to someone knowledgeable about the process and the school in which you are applying, say, an admissions counselor, or a pre-medical advisor. The advice you obtain here shouldn't substitute for definite assistance.

However, that said, unless you are exceptional and the school is going to be fine with it, or you are applying for some kind of dual BS/DO degree program, I wouldn't plan on matriculating without at least a Bachelor's degree. It does happen, but it isn't common. The vast majority of matriculants will have at least a Bachelor's degree. That's why I say you shouldn't count on it.

I'd contact the schools directly and inquire about your situation. There's no reason for you to be obscure about it, or to try to hide it from them. This fact will eventually reveal itself. I don't remember any more, but isn't there a place on the primary application and secondary applications where you intend to graduate, or earn your degree? It's good to make sure it's going to be okay for you to apply and matriculate without having earned a bachelor's at the given school to which you are applying.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks.. Yeah I've already started to contact some schools about it.

I just received an email from one of the schools Assistant Dean of Medical Admissions he said:

"Good Morning,
Yes you can apply to our program without a bachelors degree, you will need strong grades and good mcat scores."

And thats it, though I still am planning on graduating with a bachelors, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to try without one.... (Yeah I know, it sort of contradicts what I've been saying..lol)