Will laparoscopy take over? Appendectomies/incisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheisu

Future Surgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In, say, 16 or 20 years, will big incisions be obsolete? Will the classic (open) appendectomy be completely replaced by laparoscopic appendectomies? Will surgeons even need rib spreaders and retractors?

Members don't see this ad.

i'll let you know in 16-20 years

In, say, 16 or 20 years, will big incisions be obsolete? Will the classic (open) appendectomy be completely replaced by laparoscopic appendectomies? Will surgeons even need rib spreaders and retractors?

My hope is that, through our current innovations and medical technology, there isn't a place left in the world that uses rib spreaders for appendectomies.

I doubt the open appy will be replaced by the lap appy, but they may both be replaced by the NOTES appy...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have mixed feelings about this. I think we have all seen skilled surgeons who despite the innovation of laparoscopy, still have to convert to open - either because of an injury during the procedure, or more commonly, because you just can't see what you need to see with the scope. This usually isn't a function of the equipment but rather patient anatomy, so I can't see that factor changing much.

NOTES is pretty exciting stuff but it will take some time before the procedure becomes accepted in the medical community, enough people get training and the public accepts it (outside of accepting it because its "SCARLESS SURGERY!!!). It took laparoscopy awhile, so it may be 15-20 years before NOTES becomes commonplace.

Although rib spreaders aren't very commonly used in appys, they come in quite handy in the chest, especially in the trauma bay. Given the amount of time it takes to set up a laparoscopic procedure, I can't see a knife and Finochietto being replaced in that scenario anytime soon. There will still be things in which having your hands on the tissue beats scopes anyday.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think we have all seen skilled surgeons who despite the innovation of laparoscopy, still have to convert to open - either because of an injury during the procedure, or more commonly, because you just can't see what you need to see with the scope. This usually isn't a function of the equipment but rather patient anatomy, so I can't see that factor changing much.

NOTES is pretty exciting stuff but it will take some time before the procedure becomes accepted in the medical community, enough people get training and the public accepts it (outside of accepting it because its "SCARLESS SURGERY!!!). It took laparoscopy awhile, so it may be 15-20 years before NOTES becomes commonplace.

Although rib spreaders aren't very commonly used in appys, they come in quite handy in the chest, especially in the trauma bay. Given the amount of time it takes to set up a laparoscopic procedure, I can't see a knife and Finochietto being replaced in that scenario anytime soon. There will still be things in which having your hands on the tissue beats scopes anyday.
I guess the only procedures that will use "open" are transplants? Well, unless they find a way to grind the bad organ into mush and suck it out through a tube, then put the organ in through the rectum and place it with laparoscopy. (Just kidding).

So I guess there will always be "open" appys?

I was trying to find a video online of a open appendectomy procedure, but the only videos I could find of appys were laproscopic. I know one site had a really good closeup video of one, but it was a paysite, so yeah.

This is the link:

http://www.vesalius.com/graphics/archive/archtn.asp?VID=922&nrVID=921

I think the literature continues to show that there isn't much if any benifit from doing lap appys and that the outcomes are the same.

If that continues to be the case then it will continue to be surgeon choice as to which one they use.

This question become more interesting as new technologies develop. The on-Q pump has been shown to decrease postop pain and narcotic use. There is an article in one of those throw away journals (maybe surgical news)comparing Lap gastric bypass to open with on Q. I haven't read the full article by they argued that the two were compariable. I know seems doubtful. But there are many procedures that we do lap that really does not need to be. like appys on young men

I guess the only procedures that will use "open" are transplants? Well, unless they find a way to grind the bad organ into mush and suck it out through a tube, then put the organ in through the rectum and place it with laparoscopy. (Just kidding).

We're doing lap donor nephrectomies here now.

I doubt the open appy will be replaced by the lap appy, but they may both be replaced by the NOTES appy...

At my institution, laparoscopic appendectomy is the standard. I've done 6 or 7 lap appies for every 1 open. The laparoscopic approach offers the advantages of better visualization of the abdomen, easier accessto /manipulation of the appendix, and of course, smaller incisions, less post-op pain, and shorter hospital stay.

We pretty much do everything laparoscopically: ingunal/ventral hernias, appies, gall bladders, colons, spleens, feeding tubes, most foregut surgery... I've even repaired a traumatic diaphragm injury laparoscopically. We do manage to get a good exposure to open surgery on our VA rotations, our surg onc rotations, our transplantation rotations, and our peds rotatiions.

For better of for worse, general surgery is a laparoscopic field. As far as NOTES... it won't be a factor imho, if ever, until late in our careers. Compared to laparoscopy, I cannot see NOTES being an improvement, except avoiding a 1 cm incision here and there.

Never mind. There's still putting the heart in that has to happen, Therefore, I am positive that transplants of any organ will mostly be open, not laparoscopic. But I don't know that much, as I'm only a high school sophomore. lol i feel like I'm in the "surgeon/pre-med" clique now.

I think the literature continues to show that there isn't much if any benifit from doing lap appys and that the outcomes are the same.

If that continues to be the case then it will continue to be surgeon choice as to which one they use.

Well a lap appy is easier and faster (my humble opinion), and you can easily explore the abdomen if you find a normal appendix without making a new/bigger incision.

NOTES might develop faster than laparoscopy did.

Not only because it is patient driven, but mainly because the medical device industry really wants it to happen fast - big bucks to be made with spanking new devices...many industry people I have talked to believe that we are currently witnessing the advent of a brave new dimension for endoscopy.

read more and bookmark the following site for cutting edge info on NOTES and other minimally invasive procedures.

Cheers,

Kurt

http://www.ideasforsurgery.com/?cat=418