So how far can you really make it as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I went online to see if there were a lot of DO's holding professorships at allopathic schools. I figure that if the allopathic community thinks enough of the DO education to hire a DO to teach at their school, then they must think the DO schools are doing something right, and that DO's can put aside their ninja healing and witchcraft for at least a few hours at a time to instruct future MD's. So here is what I've found so far, just on doing searches in the faculty directories. It should be noted that some schools have better search functions on their websites than others, so it may not be easy to find at some schools. I also looked at schools with an easily-accessible faculty list.

Anyone who wishes, feel free to add to this list.

UT-Southwestern: 11 DO's as faculty (that appear in the directory search "osteopathic")

UT-Houston: 8 that I could find, with many profs not listing biographical info.

Cornell: 28 (including one person who did their undergrad at Texas State, a school known primarily for having hot, stupid chicks, and not much else. I have never even heard of anyone even getting into med school from here, and they are right down the road from me)

Mayo: 9

That's all I've found so far. Anyone else want to do some searching?

Members don't see this ad.

Not from searching but from memory:

UT-Southwestern: 11 DO's as faculty (that appear in the directory search "osteopathic")

Cornell: 28 (including one person who did their undergrad at Texas State, a school known primarily for having hot, stupid chicks, and not much else. I have never even heard of anyone even getting into med school from here, and they are right down the road from me)

Hopkins: 3

Upenn: 2

:thumbup: good thread, TT

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if it is all about numbers.

It seems that just b/c you are on faculty isn't as important as if you are on the tenure or non-tenure track(although for some specialties tenure track is becoming more and more outdated) and what part of the country you are in. I know quite a few PDs in my part of the world that screen DOs out, period -- and not in the specialties either. It's a regional thing -- and I don't mean country, but even within a state or a city. I want to do academia, and I know that it will be a bit harder for me to get my foot in the door at some places, but nonetheless doable.

I'll play, U of nevada in UMC hospital only

3 in FM
Program Director
sports med fellowship director

4 in EM
Chair
Program director
plus many more at associated hospitals

5 in Medicine
2 are derms
1 heme onc

1 in surg
Program Director, Trauma and Critical Care Fellowship
Vice Chairman, Trauma Department, UMC
Director Visiting Resident Program
(DMU grad)

I don't see anything wrong with teaching at an Osteopathic Medical school. I would list all of them but you get the point.

There are DOs in every field of medicine, teaching at almost every medical school, and accomplishing more than most of us could ever dream of. DOs are in no way limited to what they can accomplish. Why is there the need to list off every DO that's teaching medicine or reached the top of their respective field?

Personally, I don't think we need to "validate" our profession by making a list of all the DOs that are busy proving how unlimited our possibilities are.

Except that every other day, there are people starting threads asking if DO's can "really" get competitive allopathic residencies, and whatnot. I think that this is a good answer. Pre-meds just aren't part of the medical community enough to really understand how it works. This isn't for us to validate ourselves.

There are DOs in every field of medicine, teaching at almost every medical school, and accomplishing more than most of us could ever dream of. DOs are in no way limited to what they can accomplish. Why is there the need to list off every DO that's teaching medicine or reached the top of their respective field?

Personally, I don't think we need to "validate" our profession by making a list of all the DOs that busy proving how unlimited our possibilities are.

:thumbup:x 100. I could not agree more with this post ...

(sticky nomination for shoo)

Chair of Orthopaedics at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Center and professor at Dartmouth Med. is James Weinstein DO

Well respected clinician and researcher. Well known for non invasive approaches to managing back pain.

His papers are quoted often in the ortho spine world.

If you dont think DO's can be succesful, I strongly urge you to google "Will Kirby, DO"...He will definitely prove all the naysayers...He is on staff at some of the most prestigious hospitals and schools...probably even Harvard...he makes millions a year...even had time to go on a reality show and actually win it. He definitely is the envy of all those in the world of medicine, both allopathic and osteopathic....:rolleyes: .

(aka...why does this thread exist...)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dont think DO's can be succesful, I strongly urge you to google "Will Kirby, DO"...He will definitely prove all the naysayers...He is on staff at some of the most prestigious hospitals and schools...probably even Harvard...he makes millions a year...even had time to go on a reality show and actually win it. He definitely is the envy of all those in the world of medicine, both allopathic and osteopathic....:rolleyes: .

(aka...why does this thread exist...)

I know a lot of people probably hate Dr Kirby, but he is the perfect example of a DO givng you any opportunity an MD can ... and what you do with it is up to you. This guy went to NSU did a year of IM, won big brother, went into derm at Long Beach (through the Western residency), becamce Chief Resident, did another stint on big brother and now not only does cosmetic and clinic dermatology in beverly hills and orange county, but has his own line of products, and runs a VERYYY successful chain of tatoo removal clinics (3 to be exact) called Dr Tatoff. Not to mention hes also now on Dr 90210

So Love him or Hate him ... he's a great example of the man, making the degree, and not the other way around.

Also, for those who say that you have to get 99% on COMLEX or have a family derm office or something to match as a DO ... both his parents are English professors in FL, and I don't think he got 99% on boards ... just as an aside:thumbup:

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I like Will Kirby :laugh:

U Nevada: 16

NYU: 20+

Mount Sinai: 2

Columbia: 1

U Nevada: 16

NYU: 20+

Mount Sinai: 2

Columbia: 1

UCSF: 4 that I could find listed as faculty. There are quite a few DO's that work at UCSF though. I would know because I'm constantly searching for them :)

HA! There are more than 2 DOs at Penn, I know 2 just in Cardiology.

This thread is ******ed...

If you're a DO and your 3rd and 4th year grades are good and your USMLE is 250+, you're going to have the chance to get a good residency at many solid places including "traditionally allopathic" hospitals. You may not get plastics at UCSF or Ortho at Harvard...but if you went to Allopathic school X, would your chances be any better?

...probably not.

Regardless of an MD or DO degreee, if you have outstanding grades/test scores, you're going to go far. If your scores are lackluster, your options will be more limited.

The only time a DO degree will "hinder" your progress is with old school "as*h*le programs" (note: many of the Ivys) where residency directors will ignore you just b/c you're a DO. Whether you're an MD or DO, you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to work with douchebags like those anyway?"

However many very solid allopathic programs welcome DOs into their residencies.

Are they professors? We're not just listing people who have practice rights at the university hospitals. Sounds like you are just mentioning people who have rights there, but aren't real professors.

DredPiratRobrts said:

Your post was nothing special either, noob. You rehashed the same thing that is said here day in and day out. Tex has read the generic response you just gave 100 times by now, I'm sure.

I don't see how this post is ******ed at all. There is a large percentage of the population that either does not consider DO's to be comparable to MD's, do not think DO's are "real" doctors, or do not even know that DO's exist. I know that when I applied the first time, I didn't really understand osteopathic medicine, and if I had read something like this at the time, I'd have applied, and as a non-trad applicant, which tends to be much more prevalent at DO schools, I'd probably be in my 2nd year of med school right now.

In TX, there are 7 allopathic schools and TCOM. You think my pre-med office knows much about anything out of state? Almost nobosy ever leaves, unless its for something super high-end for research like Harvard or Stanford.

Your post was nothing special either, noob. You rehashed the same thing that is said here day in and day out. Tex has read the generic response you just gave 100 times by now, I'm sure.

I think mr.meatwad needs a hug today. He seems a bit touchy

First of all, we are talking about FACULTY POSITIONS if you read more closely, not residencies or hospital employment.

As for the discrimination, I have a story about this. A Neurologist that I work with recently told me that he and the director of the Neurology program were going through applications of potential Fellows (for a fellowship in Neurology). The director tossed out 2 of the applications just because they were DO's. Now, I'm not saying that this is the norm, but in all reality DO's should prepare to face some discrimination in the field. The same goes for all of us having to face discrimination against sex, age, race, religion or sexual orientation. There will always be people out there in the world that will discriminate against you for one reason or another, but I hate for people to think that "everyone" will see you as equal to an MD . . . . Unfortunately that is not true. Most will, but some will not.

If you're a DO and your 3rd and 4th year grades are good and your USMLE is 250+, you're going to have the chance to get a good residency at many solid places including "traditionally allopathic" hospitals. You may not get plastics at UCSF or Ortho at Harvard...but if you went to Allopathic school X, would your chances be any better?

...probably not.

Regardless of an MD or DO degreee, if you have outstanding grades/test scores, you're going to go far. If your scores are lackluster, your options will be more limited.

The only time a DO degree will "hinder" your progress is with old school "as*h*le programs" (note: many of the Ivys) where residency directors will ignore you just b/c you're a DO. Whether you're an MD or DO, you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to work with douchebags like those anyway?"

However many very solid allopathic programs welcome DOs into their residencies.

I came across 2 at Hopkins. I posted links on them a while back on a similar thread.

The director tossed out 2 of the applications just because they were DO's.

That will happen for sure- but I will imagine some directors on the other hand might favor DOs as well.

Maybe they will favor DOs over IMGs, but I doubt you'll find any allopathic medical school or allopathic residency that "favors," DOs over MDs. They will probably consider them equals (as they should), and at some places, they will think less of them.

Why does "far" necessarily mean "allopathic". Either way.... you get my point.

Are they professors? We're not just listing people who have practice rights at the university hospitals.

Hey Meatwad,

Yeah they're professors...already got that covered. I may be a "noob" lacking the long and distinguished career of SDN posting that a member such as you should be so proud of, but I do have my bases covered.

including one person who did their undergrad at Texas State, a school known primarily for having hot, stupid chicks, and not much else.

i went to the wrong ugrad school :D

I have to admit that I have thought in the past as I watched Dr 90210 what a concieted ass Kirby seemed to be. However, now that I am a student I have found out how much Dr. Kirby does for his alma mater and even more so those around the world in need of medical care. He is a major contributor to our DOCARE chapter and a mentor to many students from what I have heard. Yes he has gone as far as a physican can, and still remembers what medicine is about and how to give back. So I guess I am saying yes he is a "top" doc, but he is also a good person, at least by his actions.

I know a lot of people probably hate Dr Kirby, but he is the perfect example of a DO givng you any opportunity an MD can ... and what you do with it is up to you. This guy went to NSU did a year of IM, won big brother, went into derm at Long Beach (through the Western residency), becamce Chief Resident, did another stint on big brother and now not only does cosmetic and clinic dermatology in beverly hills and orange county, but has his own line of products, and runs a VERYYY successful chain of tatoo removal clinics (3 to be exact) called Dr Tatoff. Not to mention hes also now on Dr 90210

So Love him or Hate him ... he's a great example of the man, making the degree, and not the other way around.

Also, for those who say that you have to get 99% on COMLEX or have a family derm office or something to match as a DO ... both his parents are English professors in FL, and I don't think he got 99% on boards ... just as an aside:thumbup:

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I like Will Kirby :laugh:

I have to admit that I have thought in the past as I watched Dr 90210 what a concieted ass Kirby seemed to be. However, now that I am a student I have found out how much Dr. Kirby does for his alma mater and even more so those around the world in need of medical care. He is a major contributor to our DOCARE chapter and a mentor to many students from what I have heard. Yes he has gone as far as a physican can, and still remembers what medicine is about and how to give back. So I guess I am saying yes he is a "top" doc, but he is also a good person, at least by his actions.

So is this why Nova has the most derm residencies of any DO school? I like their thinking, create residencies that pay well so we will get a greater endowment. :idea:

That's really awesome that he gives back like that. Dr Kirby seems like a great guy. One of his clinical offices (in Beverly Hills) is right down the street from me and I would die to shadow him just for a day. It would probably be super hard to pull off though!!! Even though I am a pre-osteo student interested in derm so maybe he would show some love!!!:thumbup: