Second residency in rad-onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncotron

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know whether there are any barriers to applying for a position in radiation oncology if one has already completed a residency in another field (ie family practice, IM, surgery, etc). There may be a perceived advantage to having background clinical acumen with presenting complicated histories, reading/applying medical literature, comfort with cross-sectional imaging, etc. But are there are any disadvantages?

I'm thinking of applying next year and curious to know whether anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The major disadvantage is in terms of federal funding. The government subsidizes each hospital for every resident trained. As such if you've already completed training in another field then your allocation is "used up." Programs that are larger and financially well-off may be able to pay for you from their own funds but you would have to be an outstanding candidate.

In the past, when RadOnc was not as well-established as a field as today there were quite a few physicians who cross-trained (generally going from Heme-Onc to RadOnc). Now it is rare.

In my personal opinion, there is absolutely no advantage to doing a residency in anything else prior to RadOnc. To do RadOnc you need to be familiar with basic tenents from other fields (IM, Surgery, OB/Gyn) as they relate to cancer. However, if you do a full IM residency (for example) you will learn internal medicine at a very high level including diagnosis and management of inpatients and outpatients which have absolutely nothing to do with cancer. You will not be able to apply or use much of this acquired knowledge as a RadOnc physician so it will go to waste.

ADDED:
There was an interesting thread a couple of years ago re: double boarding in MedOnc and RadOnc. Things got a little rowdy.

Thanks for the reply, Gfunk.

I was curious about your point and so I went looking through studentdoctor. Fortunately, this issue has been discussed before in another context. The good news is that things aren't that stark for people like me who have become interested in rad-onc a little later in the game. Turns out that programs only get 20% less funds for applicants with a prior residency (not 50% or 100% as is sometimes falsely quoted). In fact, if the indirect education payment (see below) is higher than 60k, the percentage is even lower.

This is reassuring for me because 20% less funding does not seem like it would be a deal-breaker for most academic programs if they were interested in an otherwise solid applicant. And although daily internal medicine practice per se (or pediatrics - I am a pediatrician ;-) ) may not be directly helpful for rad-onc practice, I would imagine that the difference in perspective would make for interesting ideas and consequently fruitful academic research; after all, a basic tenet of scientific advancement is that paradigms are often challenged and improved by outsiders with a different way of looking at things. I acknowledge that this may be a contentious point but as Gfunk pointed out there is a tradition of academically fruitful radiation oncologists with prior training in other fields.

In any case, based on this I hope I can have a reasonable shot at matching should I decide to apply next year;

Btw, this is the referred to posting by f_w (I want to give credit where it's due):

"The 'Direct Medical Education' payment is cut to 50%. Depending on the patient structure of the hospital, this DME component is typically about 40k (20k after the 'initial residency period' runs out).

The 'Indirect Medical Education' payment is not affected by the length or number of your residencies. Depending on the patient and payor structure of the hospital, this is anywhere between 60k and 120k.

So, bottom line, your funding drops by approx 20k (or 20%) from what it could be if you where fresh out of medschool. This can be a reason for hospitals that have to rely on GME funding NOT to take you. At larger wealthier institutions where GME payments are just a small part of the mix, it makes less of a difference. Total number of funded residency slots is capped at 1997 levels for each hospital. Some places have grown their residencies nevertheless and just funded the extra slots out of patient care and endowment $$s (at one place in my training, 100 'funded' slots paid for 170 residents salaries).

There is a brochure on the AAMC website that explains some of the issues:
https://services.aamc.org/Publicatio...=180&pdf_id=57
And here a slightly politically slanted explanation on how the feds arrive at the numbers they pay to the hospitals:
http://www.amsa.org/pdf/Medicare_GME.pdf

Knowledge is power. Some PDs have the impression that there is NO funding for a second residency. I had the info available at the time and managed to convince someone that I was worth it ;)"

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowledge is power. Some PDs have the impression that there is NO funding for a second residency. I had the info available at the time and managed to convince someone that I was worth it ;)"

:thumbup: Good investigative work and very interesting. Still if the bias is there (though it is not grounded in reality) it may adversely affect you if you try to match into RadOnc after completing another residency.

But seriously, if you are this early in the game and you REALLY want to do RadOnc it is probably best to go w/ a medicine intern year @ an academic medical center as a backup. That way, you can re-apply or (better yet) slip into one of the few PGY-2 positions that invariably opens up.

After completing a full residency in IM or GS it seems it would be psychologically difficult to commit to four additional years of training rather than get a lucrative job that you've been training for.

My 2 cents.

i know afew who left other fields for radonc. I work with one of them. There's minimal advantage, can't see any disadvantage.