Dating in Med School for AAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What Up Doc, I understand where you are coming from, but you did exactly what I said in my previous post -- make "negative, stereotypical opinions about Black women". That mindset is so engrained that I don't think you even realize that you're being prejudiced.

if im spitting game to a sista, my seven's gotta be pressed, my dunks cant have splotches, and i better have had my du-rag on all nite to make sure my waves are spinnin'....such is not the case with other races, this is not a pre-requiste, but a bonus...

^I guess as Black women we're extremely materialistic? :laugh: :rolleyes:

I personally don't care for hip hop gear (e.g. dunks), but I'm sure proper grooming is required for the interest in any professional woman. And I guess "waves" for men are the equivalent of Young Berg's "nice hair" (as you put it ;)) for women.

how a lot of the blk girls in my class that looked down on us our freshman yr cuz they were sooooo hot for the upperclassmen who were more "mature" and had more bread are now on our nutts cuz they are seniors and they have nobody but us and no1 wants them cuz they were so mean

^Again, we see here that Black women are extremely materialistic in addition to being "mean". I guess that's code word for bad attitudes, huh? :laugh:

taking care of a high maintenance b*tch is not one of my top priorities

^And lastly we see that Black women are high maintenance b---s. Interesting.

Nope, you didn't use negative, stereotypical opinions about Black women in order to "justify" your propensity towards interracial dating. You are equal opportunity dater. ;)

I often feel that of all the ethnicity/gender combos, Black men are the most prejudiced against Black women.

Slightly off-topic --> What Up Doc, isn't it going to be hard to be the Snow Bunny King if you got to Howard for med school? :laugh:

(I still love that name -- SBK! :laugh:)

IQ: 140-150
Blood: O+
Mental Illness: Lots and lots and lots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtsGrFtdC0
:love:

Members don't see this ad.

i sorta almost kinda agree with u here. except it doesnt apply 2 me lol. if u look at my post, i said i predominantly "hook up". for me (and er'body else I know) hook up does not equal date. in terms of dating, ive actually dated only 2 women of the caucasian perusasion, 3 spanish chix (Drlyss holla front :rolleyes:) and 1 blk woman (or girl i shud say, err)...so actually i consider my self to be one of those "few" equal oppurtunity daters...in terms of hooking up, ive hooked up with every major ethnicity and i have no paticular preference...but like i said, there is mostly white girls at bars/clubs so it is only natural that one would hook up mostly with em...

haha you can't handle this :lol:

so now that we have thoroughly evaluated interracial dating, anybody going into med school in a serious relationship? Or am I all alone out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
What up doc, have you had any encounters with caribbean chicks?:cool:
My Gf is from Jamaica and like most of her friends that I know, she is quite laid back.

If not, you could always try chicks from the motherland. Ain't u from Nigeria?

What Up Doc, I understand where you are coming from, but you did exactly what I said in my previous post -- make "negative, stereotypical opinions about Black women". That mindset is so engrained that I don't think you even realize that you're being prejudiced.

^I guess as Black women we're extremely materialistic? :laugh:

I personally don't care for hip hop gear (e.g. dunks), but I'm sure proper grooming is required for the interest in any professional woman. And I guess "waves" for men are the equivalent of Young Berg's "nice hair" (as you put it ;)) for women.

^Again, we see here that Black women are extremely materialistic in addition to being "mean". I guess that's code word for bad attitudes, huh?

^And lastly we see that Black women are high maintenance b---s. Interesting.

Nope, you didn't use negative, stereotypical opinions about Black women in order to "justify" your propensity towards interracial dating. You are equal opportunity dater. ;)

I often feel that of all the ethnicity/gender combos, Black men are the most prejudiced against Black women.

Slightly off-topic --> What Up Doc, isn't it going to be hard to be the Snow Bunny King if you got to Howard for med school? :laugh:

(I still love that name -- SBK! :laugh:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtsGrFtdC0
:love:

lol...eehhh, u can twist wat i say neway u want and leave the powers that be 2 interepret however, but clearly i was making generalizations about my own, unique, individual experiences....i am a pretty open minded person and i would never pigeon hole one ethnic group into one giant stereotype and believe that they all fall under that group...

in regards 2 snow bunnies at howard...:laugh:...snow bunnies come a dime a dozen shawty...aint no slippin to my game :woot:

so now that we have thoroughly evaluated interracial dating, anybody going into med school in a serious relationship? Or am I all alone out there?

lol...puh-leaaaase...try me :rolleyes:

my homeboy who actually goes 2 howard (go figure) told me that i better bun up b4 med school...cuz u really dont have time 2 skirt chase...and the say goes, it aint trickin if u got it...:thumbup:

I think you're in the majority actually. Of all of my friends that are in medical school, only 1 is single. The rest are married or engaged with a few of them in serious boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. :thumbup:

Will your relationship be long distance?

my homeboy who actually goes 2 howard (go figure) told me that i better bun up b4 med school...cuz u really dont have time 2 skirt chase...and the say goes, it aint trickin if u got it...:thumbup:

I don't think that's true. You can have time for an active, social life in med school (moreso in M1 & M2 than the clinical years)...I just don't think it will be as active as your undergrad social life. You might only go out partying one time every week & never before exams instead of 3 times per week or something like that, ya know?

Don't "bun up" :laugh: unless you're headed towards marriage. Men don't have a time clock like women and our stupid ovaries do. :laugh:

They say trickin ain't tricking if you got it
I've never heard more false words spoken
So if I tell you I'ma leave your wrist frozen
I was either lying to you or just joking

I think you're in the majority actually. Of all of my friends that are in medical school, only 1 is single. The rest are married or engaged with a few of them in serious boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. :thumbup:

I don't think that's true. You can have time for an active, social life in med school (moreso in M1 & M2 than the clinical years)...I just don't think it will be as active as your undergrad social life. You might only go out partying one time every week & never before exams instead of 3 times per week or something like that, ya know?

Don't "bun up" :laugh: unless you're headed towards marriage. Men don't have a time clock like women and our stupid ovaries do. :laugh:

ahhhh :eek: say it isnt so!!! once a week???? i might die. loll

welp, better get it in this semester, lord knows i did my fair share of liver damage last semester :laugh:

They say trickin ain't tricking if you got it
I've never heard more false words spoken
So if I tell you I'ma leave your wrist frozen
I was either lying to you or just joking

ha! wat u kno bout that joe budden...? :thumbup:

You know, the solution - clearly - is to head on over to your nearest dschool and date a dentist :)

If I stay in NYC then technically no. He'll be an hour train ride away (which is better than the 4 hour bus ride from Boston).

does anyone else feel like a piece of meat after reading this thread?

You know, I don't feel like a "piece of meat" after reading this thread. I feel like the interesting, talented and beautiful black woman that I am. Everyday, I get proof of how wonderful I am when I complete a fem-distal bypass and hear those triphasic pulses DP or PT. I get proof when I deploy those grafts during an endo repair of a AAA and the patient goes home the next day with good results. I am the "bomb" and I love what I do. My energy is infectious.

Finally, I get proof when I taxi my Skyhawk down the runway on a warm summer afternoon heading for the bright blue sky. I can only imagine my grandmothers and grandfathers looking into that same bright blue sky (in Jamaica) and I streak across it and dance with the clouds.

One of the great things about this life is that you "get back" what you "put out". I put out positive stuff and I get back positivity in droves. I am living my dream and I have been fortunate to have the brains and ability to work hard for my dream. I don't have time for folks who don't want to enjoy this Earthwalk. From my perspective (usually above 8,000 feet), it's the bomb!

yeaaah, i feel u...cant get these flies off me! :rolleyes:

You know, I don't feel like a "piece of meat" after reading this thread. I feel like the interesting, talented and beautiful black woman that I am. Everyday, I get proof of how wonderful I am when I complete a fem-distal bypass and hear those triphasic pulses DP or PT. I get proof when I deploy those grafts during an endo repair of a AAA and the patient goes home the next day with good results. I am the "bomb" and I love what I do. My energy is infectious.

Finally, I get proof when I taxi my Skyhawk down the runway on a warm summer afternoon heading for the bright blue sky. I can only imagine my grandmothers and grandfathers looking into that same bright blue sky (in Jamaica) and I streak across it and dance with the clouds.

One of the great things about this life is that you "get back" what you "put out". I put out positive stuff and I get back positivity in droves. I am living my dream and I have been fortunate to have the brains and ability to work hard for my dream. I don't have time for folks who don't want to enjoy this Earthwalk. From my perspective (usually above 8,000 feet), it's the bomb!

inspiring :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhhh :eek: say it isnt so!!! once a week???? i might die. loll

welp, better get it in this semester, lord knows i did my fair share of liver damage last semester :laugh:

ha! wat u kno bout that joe budden...? :thumbup:

Budden is that dude!! The only negative is that he's from Jersey...but I won't hold that against homie.

Budden is that dude!! The only negative is that he's from Jersey...but I won't hold that against homie.

hahaha..whats wrong with Jersey?? :(

hey was trying to play catch up the whole conversation of dating while in medical school..that really worries me because i was thinking like maybe there will be some options with black men there..lol..YEAH RIGHT!!

i have no problems with dating outside my race, except for the fact that i am addicted to chocolate (for the ladies that read Sistah Souljah's book, im talking chocolate like Midnight :D). But I mean if the right dude comes along and can hold a key conversation and doesnt look too shabby, why not?? I just can never picture it so much...

hahaha..whats wrong with Jersey?? :(

hey was trying to play catch up the whole conversation of dating while in medical school..that really worries me because i was thinking like maybe there will be some options with black men there..lol..YEAH RIGHT!!

i have no problems with dating outside my race, except for the fact that i am addicted to chocolate (for the ladies that read Sistah Souljah's book, im talking chocolate like Midnight :D). But I mean if the right dude comes along and can hold a key conversation and doesnt look too shabby, why not?? I just can never picture it so much...

Haha idunno about Jersey :-/ my fam's all from NY sooo I've been bred to have some animosity towards Jers.

Addicted to chocolate? What about a cinnamon-colored Puerto Rican? ;)

Oh and for the record: "Sistah Souljah" is an aight writer (nada special) but she shoulda just stuck to hip hop lol

Haha idunno about Jersey :-/ my fam's all from NY sooo I've been bred to have some animosity towards Jers.

haha you are one of those...just remember the GIANTS play in our state (not sure if that matters to you lol)

Addicted to chocolate? What about a cinnamon-colored Puerto Rican? ;)
cinnamon-colored...yeah yeah a very STRONG possibility lol..but you gotta be extra smooth like this guy ----> :cool:

Oh and for the record: "Sistah Souljah" is an aight writer (nada special) but she shoulda just stuck to hip hop lol
yeah she just wrote a whole new book and i will not read it...

Last edited:
haha you are one of those...just remember the GIANTS play in our state (not sure if that matters to you lol)

...we only let the Giants play in NJ because professional football games produce so much trash that it would only be fitting to have them in Jersey. HA! :laugh:

cinnamon-colored...yeah yeah a very STRONG possibility lol..but you gotta be extra smooth like this guy ----> :cool:

Extra smooth? Please, I'm like this --> :cool: even when I'm doing this -->:sleep:

yeah she just wrote a whole new book and i will not read it...

Yeah, well she's garbage now. lol wtf kinda name is sistah soulja anyway? lol Not quite the best pen name in the world. lol

hahahaha oh Jersey... the armpit of America! I kind of feel bad for them but then I see true life: I go to the NJ Shore and I don't feel so bad anymore.

Ya know I really hope I won't be the only black person in my med school class. LOL.

Clearly y'all had undergrad experiences that were very different from mine.

hahahaha oh Jersey... the armpit of America! I kind of feel bad for them but then I see true life: I go to the NJ Shore and I don't feel so bad anymore.

haha, I would NEVER go tothe Jersey Shore..wouldnt want to catch anything from the waters

How difficult is this especially for Black women? What do people do? Any stories or advice about being Black and dating during med school? I've heard that at some med schools, none of the Black students will date because it is like dating someone in your family which I don't get. Is that the general case? What about at HBCUs? I appreciate any opinion on this!

So...this is something that i've thought about so much.. There's something magical about being nigerian and also being in your twenties that sparks the never-ending marriage talks, especially as a female. ;) I've been getting the "talks" and "hints" from my aunties about dating, if i'm with someone, settling down, etc. And to make matters worse, my family is pretty young and I am the oldest female cousin--so not cool.

I've asked my female friends who are in med school how dating has been and one of them doesn't really care about that right now and the other one just laughed in my face. She was just saying how it's pretty non-existent specifically for Black folks.

The whole subject of dating is something that me and my mom talk about a lot. The world wants to throw all these negative stats at us, especially so for Black women and i think the first inclination is to freak out and maybe even to be depressed, right? But i mean Black people are dating and getting married! And that includes Black professionals too.

I'm a woman of faith and i firmly believe that God has already picked out my husband for me. Don't get me wrong, it's still a struggle being patient and waiting on Him, but believe me, He will place you where you need to be so that you do eventually meet your life partner.

Someone gave the advice of not really holding your breath but just going out there and getting involved with things YOU want to do. Not waiting around and kinda wondering when it will happen, but being proactive and being the wife that an ambitious and Godly man would want. I have to constantly remind myself of this one. It's good to have high expectations for your husband, but also have high expectations for yourself and be ready for him.

So my advice is be confident, do well in med school, keep smiling, keep improving yourself as a future wife and mother, get involved in things that interest you, and leave the rest to God. :rolleyes:

So...this is something that i've thought about so much.. There's something magical about being nigerian and also being in your twenties that sparks the never-ending marriage talks, especially as a female. ;) I've been getting the "talks" and "hints" from my aunties about dating, if i'm with someone, settling down, etc. And to make matters worse, my family is pretty young and I am the oldest female cousin--so not cool.

I've asked my female friends who are in med school how dating has been and one of them doesn't really care about that right now and the other one just laughed in my face. She was just saying how it's pretty non-existent specifically for Black folks.

The whole subject of dating is something that me and my mom talk about a lot. The world wants to throw all these negative stats at us, especially so for Black women and i think the first inclination is to freak out and maybe even to be depressed, right? But i mean Black people are dating and getting married! And that includes Black professionals too.

I'm a woman of faith and i firmly believe that God has already picked out my husband for me. Don't get me wrong, it's still a struggle being patient and waiting on Him, but believe me, He will place you where you need to be so that you do eventually meet your life partner.

Someone gave the advice of not really holding your breath but just going out there and getting involved with things YOU want to do. Not waiting around and kinda wondering when it will happen, but being proactive and being the wife that an ambitious and Godly man would want. I have to constantly remind myself of this one. It's good to have high expectations for your husband, but also have high expectations for yourself and be ready for him.

So my advice is be confident, do well in med school, keep smiling, keep improving yourself as a future wife and mother, get involved in things that interest you, and leave the rest to God. :rolleyes:

So are you only interested in finding another Nigerian?

oh no! not at all...sorry if i gave that impression. :(

haha no, no you didn't. I just know that I have a lot of African friends and they usually have a lot of pressure from their family to find somebody that is the same as them or w/e. lol and I also know that there is usually a stigma towards black americans.

haha no, no you didn't. I just know that I have a lot of African friends and they usually have a lot of pressure from their family to find somebody that is the same as them or w/e. lol and I also know that there is usually a stigma towards black americans.

Sorry to sound like I am in some kind of cocoon, but could you please explain this stigma you speak of?

To Chinjewel, your location could very well be playing a role. I currently reside in the midwest (although my family has a strong base in baltimore) and I can tell u, people in the midwest for some reason are usually "off the market" more often than not.

Sorry to sound like I am in some kind of cocoon, but could you please explain this stigma you speak of?

To Chinjewel, your location could very well be playing a role. I currently reside in the midwest (although my family has a strong base in baltimore) and I can tell u, people in the midwest for some reason are usually "off the market" more often than not.

Haha from what I've seen and heard from immigrant families is that thanks to media and television...Africans will stereotype against blacks...assuming they are gang members, robbers, etc. The same stuff I have noticed happens to Hispanic immigrants who come here and gain prejudices/stereotypes of blacks, puerto ricans, mexicans...whoever is getting a bad rep. I'm not saying this is across the board...but with a lot of the Africans I know their parents have these prejudices (usually not the younger generation). I have also seen it with my g/f and her family who are immigrants from South America.

eh hem did you say girl friend? ay cabron haha

eh hem did you say girl friend? ay cabron haha

jaja no me joda. You got a boy friend too so f*ck outta here. :laugh:

p.s. I'm watching your alma mater beat up on UNC in Men's Basketball (UNC is #1 in the country) lol

Last edited:

Haha from what I've seen and heard from immigrant families is that thanks to media and television...Africans will stereotype against blacks...assuming they are gang members, robbers, etc. The same stuff I have noticed happens to Hispanic immigrants who come here and gain prejudices/stereotypes of blacks, puerto ricans, mexicans...whoever is getting a bad rep. I'm not saying this is across the board...but with a lot of the Africans I know their parents have these prejudices (usually not the younger generation). I have also seen it with my g/f and her family who are immigrants from South America.

That's good. My old roommate had a 3yr relationship that was kept secret from his gf's parents. It didn't end well.

My very best friend from medical school (1/2 Haitian 1/2 Greek) was engaged to a Nigerian gentleman (great guy) but his mum was dead set against the relationship and it ended badly from my friend. I know that there was loads of prejudice but my friend, a former flight attendant, is one of the most beautiful and elegant women out there (Halle Berry lookalike). There may have been other issues but the extreme opposition from his family didn't help the situation. It was very, very sad because they are both great people.

My very best friend from medical school (1/2 Haitian 1/2 Greek) was engaged to a Nigerian gentleman (great guy) but his mum was dead set against the relationship and it ended badly from my friend. I know that there was loads of prejudice but my friend, a former flight attendant, is one of the most beautiful and elegant women out there (Halle Berry lookalike). There may have been other issues but the extreme opposition from his family didn't help the situation. It was very, very sad because they are both great people.

That's so messed up. :( But unfortunately I think it is all too common.

On another note...your friend...the Halle Berry lookalike...she single? :laugh: I'm playing lol

yep! unfortunately this is the case...still struggling with some family members on that one.

chemengmd summed up the stereotypes pretty much. but yea i can only speak for nigerians on this one. they just have strong judgements against african americans based on all the negative stereotypes that the media portrays.

i def agree...location can play a role in how your dating turns out, but i don't know. i feel that it's very possible to be in a place where there's a lot of black people and still find it hard to date u know? again, it's just something i'm leaving to God..He'll make a way!

yea, i'm not surprised at all. stuff like this happens alllll the time unfortunately. still wondering what my family would do if i told them that i wanted to marry an african american...

That's so messed up. :( But unfortunately I think it is all too common.

On another note...your friend...the Halle Berry lookalike...she single? :laugh: I'm playing lol

She's still blissfully single. We hung out on New Year's in NYC. She beats men off with a club and I just love to vicariously enjoy the situation. I'm engaged and left the man at home while I partied with my chum. We were thick with men for the start of 2009. They didn't seem to mind that I like to play with sharp objects under bright lights. Life is good. :D

yea, i'm not surprised at all. stuff like this happens alllll the time unfortunately. still wondering what my family would do if i told them that i wanted to marry an african american...

disown you...:laugh:

r u igbo or yoruba?

I don't know how many people would agree with me....But I think that in the dating scene in general the Good girls DONT get the Good guys lol. Most Good Guys are taken and the generally have a so so girlfriend even when they could do better. I'm gonna put a stereotype out there, one that I sort of agree with.... I think a lot of Men especially AA's are intimidated by a Good AA woman ( Good meaning...educated, beautiful you know the whole package;)) What do you think:confused::)

I don't know how many people would agree with me....But I think that in the dating scene in general the Good girls DONT get the Good guys lol. Most Good Guys are taken and the generally have a so so girlfriend even when they could do better. I'm gonna put a stereotype out there, one that I sort of agree with.... I think a lot of Men especially AA's are intimidated by a Good AA woman ( Good meaning...educated, beautiful you know the whole package;)) What do you think:confused::)

Not me! I like good women period; nothing more attractive than an educated, beautiful woman who can hold you down no matter what. Nonetheless, a lot of my female friends have expressed the same feelings as you about intimidation.

All the good AA women I've encountered have always been taken. N=1 one however, so my experience is only anecdotal.

id have to respectfully disagree. who the hell wouldnt wanna a beautiful and intelligent woman. if the woman in question was actually in possession of these two qualities then i would think most men would be drooling over her, at least i would..

but, lets be real. some girls (and all men ha) think they look better than they really do. i find it interesting that a lot of times a man's idea of a beautiful woman can differ significantly from that of a woman's. a beautiful woman, black or white or indian or hispanic will always catch my attention.

but to hold my attention, she gotta have some brains too. now here's where the reaaaaaal problem lies. it has my personal experience that some women confuse being intelligent, clever, and witty with being loud, agressive and pig headed. this goes for all women (men too, but im specifically adressing docAK's question). to me, nothing is more sexy than a woman who is witty, clever and creative. a woman that has that subtle intelligence that doesn't have to announced or proclaimed at every instance.

now, when you combine the two aforementioned qualities you have one prettyhotandtempting young lady. :)

Hahahaha oh wow!!! I'm dying here.... lol.. What up doc you crack me up! You said that "some girls (and all men ha) think they look better than they really do." and that is the truth and they got the nerve to be picky! lol! I mean how dare they, shoot they need to take what they can get...

Well in my experiences I have not at all came across an ambitious african american male. With that being said I am in Tulsa Oklahoma, and for some reason the AA's guys here are not worth anybody's time, they live at their mothers house, and have a studio in the living room ( everybody's a rapper, now!), no job, no car, and is very, very content with where they are, and what they will become! So far in my undergrad experience as well, I have always been the only AA in all my science (and upper division) courses! I dont know maybe its the location of where I am at! But there are NO GOOD AA's Guys around. And when you think you found a good granted he might need a little work, he gets intimidated and gets ghost.

So I believe it is hard to find a Politehonestambitioustrusworthy young man

Hahahaha oh wow!!! I'm dying here.... lol.. What up doc you crack me up! You said that "some girls (and all men ha) think they look better than they really do." and that is the truth and they got the nerve to be picky! lol! I mean how dare they, shoot they need to take what they can get...

Well in my experiences I have not at all came across an ambitious african american male. With that being said I am in Tulsa Oklahoma, and for some reason the AA's guys here are not worth anybody's time, they live at their mothers house, and have a studio in the living room ( everybody's a rapper, now!), no job, no car, and is very, very content with where they are, and what they will become! So far in my undergrad experience as well, I have always been the only AA in all my science (and upper division) courses! I dont know maybe its the location of where I am at! But there are NO GOOD AA's Guys around. And when you think you found a good granted he might need a little work, he gets intimidated and gets ghost.

So I believe it is hard to find a Politehonestambitioustrusworthy young man

Might be time to move. My AA classmates at Howard were some of the smartest, most professional and good looking guys that I have ever met. More than a few were graduates of Morehouse and were "rocks" when it came to their studies and their lives. One of my very best friends from medical school is now chief of anesthesia, single, homeowner, has several cars and is an MD/Ph.D combo. He doesn't have any problem with strong and beautiful black women.

Another of my classmates was a former alternate to the US. Olympic team in gymnastics. He is now an orthopedic surgeon. He is strong, smart and has no problems finding beautiful, smart black women to date. He and his brother are both orthopedic surgeons (his brother made the Olympic team).

One of the great things about Howard was that it is a mecca for educated and solidly upwardly mobile black men and women. It was a pleasure to be there and interact in a location where people are all about the business of excellent scholarship. From medicine to dentistry, to law to business and arts and sciences, I found plenty of good scholarship and great folks. They are all not "taken" but look for a woman who brings something to the table. It's no accident that Barack Obama found his Michelle. Awesome people have a way of attracting awesome people.

To anyone that is looking for an awesome person, be awesome yourself and you will attract other great people in droves. The first place that I would start to look for an awesome AA man is Morehouse. Without exception, I have never met an AA graduate of Morehouse that wasn't top notch in every way. There may be some but I haven't met them.