Rejection Letters - What do you do with them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novastorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shred mine...there is nothing like the sound of your rejection being cut into tiny pieces.

I almost kept my one hand signed rejection letter, but it joined the fate of all the rest.

What do you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I use them to blot away my tears.

Unceremoniously rip them in half and toss them in the recycling bin. :thumbdown:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I get out a magnifying glass and look to see if the deans of admissions actually sign them by hand. If I ever find a hand-signed one, I'll probably keep it.

I get out a magnifying glass and look to see if the deans of admissions actually sign them by hand. If I ever find a hand-signed one, I'll probably keep it.

I was tempted to send a thank you for their timely decision on my hand signed one, if they take the time I might as well.

I file them and stop thinking about them.

i'm saving them, so when i become a world-renowned doctor, i'll frame them and put them on the wall of my fancy office.

I use the blank side of the letter to print out an update to the school that rejected me

i'm saving them, so when i become a world-renowned doctor, i'll frame them and put them on the wall of my fancy office.
me too: ) i have them in a folder right now. Maybe ill laminate them so they dont get all yellowed w/ time.

and by the way, I actually know someone who has a rejection for early admissions from an ivy league school framed on his office desk. He has a (to say the least) very prestigious position at a very highly rated school, and is well known in his field. He said its so he can always remember that getting anywhere in life takes tenacity and a bit of humility is a good thing.

I hadn't thought about mine in a while, but I suppose I'd like to burn them along with my damn mcat book.

edit: I also like the framing them option. Maybe I'll frame the rejection letter from the school that eventually let me in, and get rid of the rest.

Wall of shame! I work in an office with another pre-med who's applying, and we've debated posting them on the office wall. Never got around to that, though- that might make it a little too real :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I use rejection letters as toilet paper! j/k

I use the blank side of the letter to print out an update to the school that rejected me

:laugh: :thumbup: that's great.

I wish could say I did something clever or creative with my rejections, but the truth is, I just throw them away. I just can't help but not care that much now that I've been accepted somewhere.

Although, I know there will probably be a day coming soon when one of my top schools rejects me... maybe I'll have something unique to update this thread with with then.

they're dumped in a pile. I'm not even sure where some of them are, they're lost in the depths of my house.

I look at the signatures, too, wjustice. Especially for the more expensive schools-if I paid $125 for the privilege of getting rejected, they could at least sign the paper. Or maybe stamp it with a different color ink to make it look slightly more real.

I'm also keeping a tally of the meanest ones. Right now the winner is Georgetown-they couldn't even spare a full paragraph for me. :rolleyes:

LOL... That is so funny. I shred mine into pieces. Maybe the next one I get I'll try sending it back to the school. The admissions committee would have a crack out of it. Hopefully it would make their day.

Send them back to the adcoms with a note saying "I don't take NO for an answer."

i sell mine on ebay

1. Crumple into ball
2. Toss on Floor
3. watch my cat bat at said rejection ball until it is soggy, ripped mess.
*I figure better my rejection letters than magazines
4. clean up and add to mulch
5. repeat

My dog eats them. Literally. He loves to eat paper- if he could survive on paper, he would. (I know, strange dog....)

I get a lot of satisfaction watching him rip the rejection letters to shreds

Wall of shame! I work in an office with another pre-med who's applying, and we've debated posting them on the office wall. Never got around to that, though- that might make it a little too real :eek:

I too have a wall of shame, its currently a chain of 6, 2 of which I had to print out because they didnt bother to mail a letter. Im assuming that because of the 4+ months of silence from a bunch of other schools means the wall will over double soon. Its great motivation to get out of bed and get my arse to the gym and work off the bitterness.

Thankfully I work in a chem lab so when my boss is out, a little concentrated nitric here and there eats through it quite fast.

I too have a wall of shame, its currently a chain of 6, 2 of which I had to print out because they didnt bother to mail a letter. Im assuming that because of the 4+ months of silence from a bunch of other schools means the wall will over double soon. Its great motivation to get out of bed and get my arse to the gym and work off the bitterness.

Why would you expect them to mail you a letter? With how little the application fees are, a stamp is pretty expensive.

Why would you expect them to mail you a letter? With how little the application fees are, a stamp is pretty expensive.

Agreed. The sense of entitlement pre-meds have is absolutely amazing. A rejection letter, signed by the dean, sent through the mail? Ridiculous. If they went to that much trouble they might as well accept you.

Agreed. The sense of entitlement pre-meds have is absolutely amazing. A rejection letter, signed by the dean, sent through the mail? Ridiculous. If they went to that much trouble they might as well accept you.

Jeez, cool down. It doesn't sound like he expects each school to send a letter via mail. And I certainly don't expect them to sign letters of rejection. It's not entitlement. . . I don't see why I can't have fun analyzing my rejection letters. For example, seeing if post-interview rejection letters are more personalized than pre-interview ones.

ummm... I think they were being sarcastic.

I put them on the fridge, and I'm running out of room. I went and bought fridge magnets especially for this.

I mail in a $100 deposit.

More interesting for me is the actual letter. Both BU and NW have the norm, "we have many qualified applicants...not enough spaces....best wishes in the future..." SIU: "We have completed reviewing your application for the 2008 entering class. Your application for the entering class of 2008 has been denied." Followed by some guy's computer signature. Denied?!? Is that seriously the best way you could put it?!?

I'd scan and toss it like I do with everything else.

Send it back to the school saying: " I reject your letter of rejection, and thus will be joining your class. See you soon"

I eat them. Witness my transformation.

I am going to stitch mine together to create a finely-tailored suit and a broad-brimmed hat.

I only need six more to finish my paper mache 10:1 scale super-rejection letter.

LOL ROFLMFAO

Send it back to the school saying: " I reject your letter of rejection, and thus will be joining your class. See you soon"

Sadly, this is the best thread ever....

I scream, "OMG I got in!!" then hand the letter to my parents and then say, "haha, PSYCHHHHHE."

Wife (looked at me askance): "Honey, this is what you've been doing with Johnny's college money? Turning it into this pile of sh**?" :mad:

I hang them on my wall.