DUI and still accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DOCMagic85

I was wondering if having a DUI misdemeanor on your record from over a year ago will significantly harm your chances at an acceptance? Does anyone personally know of someone getting in medical school with a DUI on their record? Will a DUI be an issue when doing roations in 3rd/4th year?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a DUI in 2001 and was accepted into med school. It has never been brought up as an issue concerning rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll be ok..just don't lie about it.. i mean, i wouldnt write about it in my personal statement or anything... but if it is asked on any forms, put it down.. i know a 4th yr med student who had a dui when applying, and he disclosed it... he's doing just fine. best of luck. we all make mistakes, this one won't haunt you forever.

This may not haunt you now but just check with certain state's medical licensure requirements and how strict they are regarding misdemeanors and such. Hopefully, where you plan to do residency and practice doesn't have any requirement that would give you a hard time.

Thanks everyone for your input, its good to hear I have a chance.

I would also suggest having a sincere truthful experience of what you have learned from it. Just in case it comes up in interviews because schools do background checks. If you get blindsided and cant really account for yourself and actions it wont look good.

I know a friend who I believe got something similar to a DUI. I think it was called "alcohol related wrecklessness" and he got into med school last fall.

Apply to KCOM...they don't seem to have a problem with DUI's...

I would also suggest having a sincere truthful experience of what you have learned from it. Just in case it comes up in interviews because schools do background checks. If you get blindsided and cant really account for yourself and actions it wont look good.

They generally don't do the background checks until after you've matriculated.

why would they wait?

Because they would have to do a huge amount of background checks which costs a lot of money, and inform each applicant that they were being checked before an interview, and make sure they had each background check done before said interview. It just doesn't make sense.

Makes sense... but on the applications they ask if you have been convicted of any crimes. Wouldnt you have to put it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense... but on the applications they ask if you have been convicted of any crimes. Wouldnt you have to put it?

Yes, but as far as I know on AMCAS (which could be different) They ask:

Have you ever been convicted of/plead no contest to a misdemeanor or felony, do not include anything where the charges were dropped or expunged.

So, if you fell into one of those two groups you technically wouldn't have to report, BUT I'm pretty sure that everything will end up popping up some way or another so just be honest and own up to what happened. Especially with a DUI because I think there are some issues with obtaining a medical license and having a DUI.

Note: This is just what I've gathered on SDN, your best bet with legal issues is ALWAYS to speak with a lawyer.

you'll be ok..just don't lie about it.. i mean, i wouldnt write about it in my personal statement or anything... but if it is asked on any forms, put it down.. i know a 4th yr med student who had a dui when applying, and he disclosed it... he's doing just fine. best of luck. we all make mistakes, this one won't haunt you forever.

Sorry, but a DUI is not a mistake, but a choice.

:clap: Seriously took the words right out of my mouth. If someone is irresponsible enough to drink to a point where they either are unaware they are driving or drunk enough to still consciously make the choice to recklessly get behind the wheel and put not only themselves but others in mortal danger, should not be trusted with other people's lives as a doctor.

Mistake = bad decision. How is that hard to understand?

I am not an apologist for DUIs but I'm also not out for a witch-hunt. Maybe you should consider how easy it is to get a DUI these days with a 0.08 limit before you go on a crusade.

NOTE: I HAVE NEVER HAD A DUI. I am not defending myself.

Driving while intoxicated IS irresponsible, however I have an issue with the limit being so low that you can't even tell if you're technically "intoxicated" anymore...

Reactions: 1 user
I do feel that the limit is a little low, but the person barely breaking the limit and not damaging person or property is the exception. I am very uptight about this issue because I have seen devastation it can cause. When coming home from work at night, 3 years ago, my car was totaled by a drunk driver. I was fortunate enough to not be seriously injured, but I know it could have easily gone the other way. Why should someone have to die because someone can't spend 50 cents to call a cab or a friend.

I just think its ironic that it is a "mistake" when caught, yet a good story to tell the guys when someone gets home OK. Regardless, it is a choice to drink excessively and drive no matter how you put it. Its called responsibiity and maturity. Should the OP be rejected from medical school b/c of it....no b/c we all have made bad choices in life....but when it comes to drinking and driving, that person better damn well have learned their lesson.

And nobody is out on a witch hunt or crusade...its common sense, regardless of what the legal limit is. Just because a line is easy to cross doesn't mean it should be.

I just think its ironic that it is a "mistake" when caught, yet a good story to tell the guys when someone gets home OK. Regardless, it is a choice to drink excessively and drive no matter how you put it. Its called responsibiity and maturity. Should the OP be rejected from medical school b/c of it....no b/c we all have made bad choices in life....but when it comes to drinking and driving, that person better damn well have learned their lesson.

And nobody is out on a witch hunt or crusade...its common sense, regardless of what the legal limit is. Just because a line is easy to cross doesn't mean it should be.

I can live with this explanation/POV. :thumbup:

:clap: Seriously took the words right out of my mouth. If someone is irresponsible enough to drink to a point where they either are unaware they are driving or drunk enough to still consciously make the choice to recklessly get behind the wheel and put not only themselves but others in mortal danger, should not be trusted with other people's lives as a doctor.

I agree. We should also not let anyone who talks on a cell phone while driving become a doctor either, since they also have a habit of putting others in mortal danger. Oh, and people that eat while driving. And make-up application. And heck... I think we need to start surveillance of all applicants while they drive to make sure they are doing none of these things that have been shown to increase the risk of accident to the levels of having a BAC of 0.08, because God forbid we entrust any of these irresponsible cell phone users with other peoples' lives!!!

First of all it wasn't the loss of a crappy car that upset me, it was a near death experience. Secondly you know nothing about me. Conservative? Hardly, I'm about as liberal of person you can meet. Rich? HA! I work for a living and the only thing in my pantry is Top Ramen. You also said it yourself that this people have "drunken stupidity". Why should they change?
The fact that you can't intelligently make an argument without cursing, speaks wonders for you.

First of all it wasn't the loss of a crappy car that upset me, it was a near death experience. Secondly you know nothing about me. Conservative? Hardly, I'm about as liberal of person you can meet. Rich? HA! I work for a living and the only thing in my pantry is Top Ramen. You also said it yourself that this people have "drunken stupidity". Why should they change?
The fact that you can't intelligently make an argument without cursing, speaks wonders for you.

You should've died in the car accident and gone down with the ****ing ship.

Damn ... 'Ryan' went out with a bang! The last three threads I have gone to were torn up by his rants.

yea he was probably drunk posting or something

yea he was probably drunk posting or something

The irony of being banned while posting drunk in a thread about driving drunk ... there is probably some in there, I just don't want to search.

So basically, I am a worthless overeducated person because I got a DUI in 2002. I learned my lesson, worked harder than anyone I know, aced the PCAT, have a 3.95 GPA and no hope of ever becoming a pharmacist. I made a choice, I own it. I turned myself around and want to help people, but I cant because of my record. I wouldnt be who I am today without the learning experience that the DUI gave me, I might not even be a student at all. I never thought that it would stop me from getting into med, pharmacy, dental, or vetrinary school, but from what I hear I have no chance. Lots of people apply and most are well qualified, a DUI is all it takes to get rejected. I am a human being, I am not perfect, I regret what happened greatly. What should I do now? How am I going to pay off my student loans? I work in a pharmacy as a tech already but its not enough to raise a family on. I guess I will just go kick rocks. I dont deserve to be in the company of pre-meds.

So basically, I am a worthless overeducated person because I got a DUI in 2002. I learned my lesson, worked harder than anyone I know, aced the PCAT, have a 3.95 GPA and no hope of ever becoming a pharmacist. I made a choice, I own it. I turned myself around and want to help people, but I cant because of my record. I wouldnt be who I am today without the learning experience that the DUI gave me, I might not even be a student at all. I never thought that it would stop me from getting into med, pharmacy, dental, or vetrinary school, but from what I hear I have no chance. Lots of people apply and most are well qualified, a DUI is all it takes to get rejected. I am a human being, I am not perfect, I regret what happened greatly. What should I do now? How am I going to pay off my student loans? I work in a pharmacy as a tech already but its not enough to raise a family on. I guess I will just go kick rocks. I dont deserve to be in the company of pre-meds.

hahahaha ... well I mean come on, pre-meds know everything!! :laugh:

I don't think anybody said that you are a worthless person, nor made the implication. You said what I've said....You made a bad choice and learned from it. IMO, these are the best learning lessons. Thankfully, nobody got hurt and you changed b/c of the incident. I think many people, myself included, would commend you on changing your ways and making yourself a better person.

Now to the people who continually drink and drive...that is a different story and what I think people are getting pissed about. I think it is sad that people make light of a very serious situation and think it makes them cool b/c they do it. They are the ones who should be kicking rocks.

BTW, I'm not a premed....but they do "know" everything :rolleyes:

Have it expunged and then you don't have to report it. Expungement shouldn't cost you more than $150 or $30 if you do it yourself (any lawyer office charging more than $150 is ripping people off). I think AMCAS asks about felony and AACOMAS asks about misdemeanor or felony.

Have it expunged and then you don't have to report it. Expungement shouldn't cost you more than $150 or $30 if you do it yourself (any lawyer office charging more than $150 is ripping people off). I think AMCAS asks about felony and AACOMAS asks about misdemeanor or felony.
Bad advice. First of all, it's usually only possible to have it expunged if the charge was dropped/dismissed or if you were found not guilty. If you were found guilty, as an adult, you probably can't get it expunged. If the charges were dropped, or you were found not guilty, you don't have a requirement to report it anyway.

AMCAS, starting with the 2008 app year, asks for both misdemeanors and felonies.

Expunging really does nothing. First, it can only be expunged if you met some certain requirements (you wouldn't have anything to expunge if you weren't found guilty) like finishing up community service etc, or if something happened before you were 18. However, AMCAS does say not to include anything that was expunged, but it is my understanding that all this would pop up in a background check anyway. I think honesty is always the best policy. You are going to look better being straight forward and wiser from the situation than you are hiding behind legal technicalities.

However, AMCAS does say not to include anything that was expunged, but it is my understanding that all this would pop up in a background check anyway.

This is key. People that have taken steps to get arrest records expunged (note: these are cases where they were found not guilty of the charges) to avoid having people view them negatively in future job searches, etc, have discovered that even if the court has expunged the record, the national databases that track this info usually have already received the info and there is no provision for getting these records expunged from them. So, when a background check, is performed, the arrest is seen even though the court has expunged it.

Like Jagger says, best policy is to exercise 100% disclosure. I had a couple of ugly things in my record, but I disclosed them and still received an acceptance. If you try to hide it, and are discovered, on the other hand, I can pretty much guarantee you'll get your acceptance revoked. :scared:

I finally heard from them, and because of my credentials I was offered an interview. Very exicted, however from what I gather I may not be able to get an intern liscence even if I do get accepted. I have a couple hoops to jump through first but I am looking at it as an opportunity to finally put the whole thing behind me. Sorry about the gloomy post, I thought I was sunk for sure. Compounded by the fact that all my friends got invited for interviews. I really thought I was about to get left behind after all my hard work. I am in much better spirits now!

post deleted, redundant

I completely disagree. No one is perfect and unless you carry around a breathalizer in your pocket a person could go have dinner with friends ave a couple glasses of wine and get convicted for DUI. Does that mean they are reckless and putting life in danger. NO and it would be ignorant to say so. All circumstances are different and I believe a bad choice does equal a mistake.

I can't believe this argument is still going on. That's why they call it drunk - it affects your decision making. So the next time I get **** faced I'm gonna make sure I sit down and analyze my thought processes and critical thinking abilities. Maybe I'll even write a ****ing essay, perhaps give a speech, maybe phone a friend, or **** you up the ***.

Also important to note the difference between a DUI and a DWI (contingent on state of course). Everybody has a different reaction to alcohol and that even changes during the day by individual. I had to do a visual test where they "got me drunk". They calculated how much alcohol for my size I should consume to be at the DUI limit. Six 100 proof vodka tonics later, I was still under the limit, even after not eating all day. I have had friends that had 2 light beers and got busted for a DUI. It is always a mistake to drink and drive, but I think most people would be hard pressed to find any significant driving deficiencies at 2 beers...unless you are 4 years old. I'm more concerned about the people driving around on their cell phones. As long as you learned a lesson and didn't kill a family then I think you're alright. I think at the lower limits of DUI it is convenient to blame the alcohol on the accident, when in reality it is just poor driving habits that have always been prevalent. Now, full on intoxicated or at any point where you even hesitate to think if you've had too many..that is when you don't drive. I think you'll be fine. I highly doubt you were swerving all over the road and hitting stop signs. DUI does not entail driving recklessly. You could've forgot to use a turn signal, which here in Florida people don't believe in, gotten pulled over and the cop decided to give you a breathalyzer because of the time of night and that second glass of wine you drank a half hour ago was just kicking in....2 minutes away from your house.

Also important to note the difference between a DUI and a DWI (contingent on state of course). Everybody has a different reaction to alcohol and that even changes during the day by individual. I had to do a visual test where they "got me drunk". They calculated how much alcohol for my size I should consume to be at the DUI limit. Six 100 proof vodka tonics later, I was still under the limit, even after not eating all day. I have had friends that had 2 light beers and got busted for a DUI. It is always a mistake to drink and drive, but I think most people would be hard pressed to find any significant driving deficiencies at 2 beers...unless you are 4 years old. I'm more concerned about the people driving around on their cell phones. As long as you learned a lesson and didn't kill a family then I think you're alright. I think at the lower limits of DUI it is convenient to blame the alcohol on the accident, when in reality it is just poor driving habits that have always been prevalent. Now, full on intoxicated or at any point where you even hesitate to think if you've had too many..that is when you don't drive. I think you'll be fine. I highly doubt you were swerving all over the road and hitting stop signs. DUI does not entail driving recklessly. You could've forgot to use a turn signal, which here in Florida people don't believe in, gotten pulled over and the cop decided to give you a breathalyzer because of the time of night and that second glass of wine you drank a half hour ago was just kicking in....2 minutes away from your house.

The question is how many people actually do this??? How many times to people say they are OK and can drive, but clearly they are not? The problem is people aren't objective and aren't thinking clearly when they are drunk. Perhaps the legal limit is inconvienent, but you have to start somewhere. The simple solution is either don't get drunk and drive later, or bring a DD. How difficult is that???

The question is how many people actually do this??? How many times to people say they are OK and can drive, but clearly they are not? The problem is people aren't objective and aren't thinking clearly when they are drunk. Perhaps the legal limit is inconvienent, but you have to start somewhere. The simple solution is either don't get drunk and drive later, or bring a DD. How difficult is that???

Or how about the simple solution is have a glass or two of wine with dinner and drive after that? Or have three glasses of wine but stick around for an hour or two later and have coffee to make sure you are ok to drive?

Not everyone loses all of their senses when they have their first drink, as apparently you do. So for people like you that lose all judgment and drink to oblivion, I agree: Always have a DD or alternative transportation ready before you start the evening!

But for those of us that are responsible drinkers, I assure you that we know when we've had too much to drink and it is unacceptable to drive, and also when 2 glasses of wine over a 2 hour dinner are not going to compromise our driving abilities.

Or how about the simple solution is have a glass or two of wine with dinner and drive after that? Or have three glasses of wine but stick around for an hour or two later and have coffee to make sure you are ok to drive?

Not everyone loses all of their senses when they have their first drink, as apparently you do. So for people like you that lose all judgment and drink to oblivion, I agree: Always have a DD or alternative transportation ready before you start the evening!

But for those of us that are responsible drinkers, I assure you that we know when we've had too much to drink and it is unacceptable to drive, and also when 2 glasses of wine over a 2 hour dinner are not going to compromise our driving abilities.

I'm glad that you are a responsible drinker, I just wish everybody was. I personally don't care how much somebody has, just be responsible....that's all people ask. And I never said that people could not have a drink or 3. But I think its pretty clear as to what I am refering to, and its not the responsible people. Its the idiots out there.

As for myself, I am not a drinker, so I have never been in the situation.

what a stupid, arrogant comment. learn words, then use them. if you don't understand what they mean, look them up.

mistake:

An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
A misconception or misunderstanding.

wow.

when you get into the real world of medicine (if you make it), i hope for the sake of your patients that you are able to shed your righteous condemnation. otherwise you will simply have no tolerance for your patients who make seemingly brainless decisions on a daily basis.

what a stupid, arrogant comment. learn words, then use them. if you don't understand what they mean, look them up.

mistake:

An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
A misconception or misunderstanding.

I guess the truth hurts a bit...doesn't it? My comments were 100% accurate. Why is it SO difficult to understand that drinking and driving is a choice??? Perhaps someone has some growing up to do :idea:

Mistakes are choices too. There are really horrible mistakes, of course, and there are lighter mistakes.

We all try to avoid the huge mistakes.