Practice Plans and Getting a Job as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tamburlaine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope deeply that this post doesn't set off any sort of flame war. I just want to voice some questions/to hear if you guys share some concerns.

Where do you guys see yourselves practicing, in terms of the MD/DO thing? I mean do you guys want the ability to practice anywhere, to join groups anywhere? Or do you see yourselves seeking out other DO's to work with?

Do you guys think it's harder to find a group if you come out of a DO residency? Does a DO residency significantly limit job possibilities? Will we be forced into MD residencies if we want to work outside the east and the midwest? Does the statement that "DO's can find the same jobs as MD's" presuppose that the DO has done an allopathic residency?

I hope the answer to all these questions is no, because I like what non-trad applicants, the philosophy, and OMM (which, it should be noted, is increasingly being researched at the bigger DO schools--check out the JAOA) bring to patient care. (By the way, I don't think generalizations about MD/DO residencies are fair. I've heard good and bad things about both of them. And my intuition is that generalizations about them are far less illuminating than individual reports about them by med students who have passed through.)

I bet that there is some discrimination among MD medical groups, discrimination which, of course, increases as you go up the specialty hierarchy. I mean can a DO urologist or neurosurgeon, from a DO residency, just send job apps out to NYC and DC as well as the rural south?

And by the same logic, is it true that primary care is the place where there is the least amount of discrimination and the most partnering across degree lines.

I hope all this is true only in such a limited sense as to have no practical effect on us. But is that the case?

Just wanted some opinions. Again, I write this as someone who really likes the DO schools I've seen.

Please don't make this an MD/DO thread, or even one about DO distinctiveness. I'm really talking about our jobs plans and the question of whether we'll face obstacles.

Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

yawn.png

Members don't see this ad :)
DO's are only allowed to practice in Antarctica, and they are not allowed to charge for services. Tips only.

Yea, I think that's a good idea Dr. Midlife. Not a bad post at all but the disclaimers are unnecessary IMO; I'd go so far as to say that they really only serve to invite such behavior as is prevalent only on SDN and largely from premeds. I'm just tired - and partly a tribute photo to Jaggerplate as relates to SDN in general... :D

LOL TT

I took a look at the website of my local hospital.

I found that there are a number of DOs working there in various specialties.

I am interested in EM and I found DOs working at my local hospital in this capacity.

I checked on another local hospital's website and found similar results.

Since I would like to eventually practice where I live now, this was comforting to me.

I'm not really worried about getting a job.

I work at the busiest Level II trauma center in the country (and 3rd-busiest trauma center in TX of any kind, behind Parkland and Ben Taub), and off the top of my head, I think I can count 5 DO's that work there in the ER. They work as attendings for the rotating students, and they are intistinguishable from the MD's in practice.

Everyone there knows I'm going to a DO school. Occasionally, I'll get a "so you're going to specialize in cracking backs?" joke, or something like that, but its all good-natured. They're also all telling me to come back and rotate there, and then come back again for residency.

Nobody cares. It's just on this site.

Alright, alright. Bad gas is bad. I agree.

I'm just a little nervous. I'm on the cusp of sending off another deposit... What will become of me?

It will be whatever you make of it. Nobody's going to spoon feed you a derm (or whatever) residency. You're going to have to earn it. And if you don't, you have nobody to blame but yourself. It won't be because you went to a DO school. It will be because you didn't take care of business.

Yea, I think that's a good idea Dr. Midlife. Not a bad post at all but the disclaimers are unnecessary IMO; I'd go so far as to say that they really only serve to invite such behavior as is prevalent only on SDN and largely from premeds. I'm just tired - and partly a tribute photo to Jaggerplate as relates to SDN in general... :D

LOL TT

Hahahah ... wow, a tribute?? This made my day:thumbup::thumbup: