Duke University SOM Class of 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EkLiLiaN

MDLilY
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellows,

I just thought of starting a new thread for those of us whose hearts are into Duke. All those who are on the wait list are welcome to join, after all it about DukieLove :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! I just came over to this forum thinking I would finally bite the bullet and start this thread, but here it is!
I really loved Duke on interview- definitely my favorite day of the season because I felt so welcomed and felt like the school had such interesting programs, a strong commmunity and a supportive administration- however I'm entirely undecided between Duke and two other schools (both of which are much closer to family). The main thing that would make me not choose Duke is that I have no family or friends in the South and know almost nothing about the area (I grew up on the west coast and have attended undergrad in the northeast) so I think going to second look and checking out Durham more will be very helpful.
Anyways, what did everyone else love most about Duke? Are others certain, or undecided?

im certain, and my favorite thing about duke is the fact that you have an entire year to do whatever you want (research, 2nd degree) for the same price in the same amount of time as a 4-yr md program anywhere else in the country.

...imagine being able to tell ppl on your residency interview about your ENTIRE YEAR singularly devoted to research specific to that field. no other school in the country can boast that kind research experience in 4 years.

i grew up out west too and duke is fine

Members don't see this ad :)
they also give you the best opportunity to recoup your costs while in school b/c many times your 3rd yr research is completely funded. this is why their avg indebtedness is only like 80k.

Yay! I just came over to this forum thinking I would finally bite the bullet and start this thread, but here it is!
I really loved Duke on interview- definitely my favorite day of the season because I felt so welcomed and felt like the school had such interesting programs, a strong commmunity and a supportive administration- however I'm entirely undecided between Duke and two other schools (both of which are much closer to family). The main thing that would make me not choose Duke is that I have no family or friends in the South and know almost nothing about the area (I grew up on the west coast and have attended undergrad in the northeast) so I think going to second look and checking out Durham more will be very helpful.
Anyways, what did everyone else love most about Duke? Are others certain, or undecided?

I hope you find at 2nd look that your classmates and the administration really become a lot like your family. I will see all of y'all at 2nd look for sure. I'm doing a couple of panel discussion... not to mention I will be out at the bars when we go out.

I'll be at second look too, can't wait!

What I really liked about Duke that hasn't been mentioned...doing clinical rotations a year earlier than everyone else - I think that's amazing how we get to immediately practice what we've learned in one year instead of waiting two tedious years -- good reinforcement. 3rd year flexibility is comforting, especially how we can take the step 1 any time during that year (right?). Small class size is a bonus. Plus, all the students seemed SO happy there, with no regrets whatsoever. Oh, and being obsessed with college basketball helps :)

I'll be at second look too, can't wait!

What I really liked about Duke that hasn't been mentioned...doing clinical rotations a year earlier than everyone else - I think that's amazing how we get to immediately practice what we've learned in one year instead of waiting two tedious years -- good reinforcement. 3rd year flexibility is comforting, especially how we can take the step 1 any time during that year (right?). Small class size is a bonus. Plus, all the students seemed SO happy there, with no regrets whatsoever. Oh, and being obsessed with college basketball helps :)
ya i mean think about how your friends at other schools will be sweating it out in 2nd yr lectures while we wrap up our rotations, then spend 12 months figuring out what we want to specialize in.

when i interviewed at UNC, the students badmouthed the duke med students like they were pansies b/c their 3rd was a "vacation year."

jealousy is a stinky cologne

they also give you the best opportunity to recoup your costs while in school b/c many times your 3rd yr research is completely funded. this is why their avg indebtedness is only like 80k.

Ok this is not exactly true. The max you can get for third year is generally around $30k, so it's about enough to pay your living expenses and maybe pay off a couple thousand in loans, but for the most part you will still end up paying the majority of your tuition (which is like $40k?) for third year. The real reason our average indebtedness is so low is that there are a good number of full rides and there are generally a handful of people whose parents are paying for their entire education, so about 10-15% of the class graduates with NO debt, making the average debt seem lower than it really is. I don't want to burst your bubbles, but I also don't want any broken hears when fin aid comes and it is not what you expected.

but isnt that 30k money you would be potentially borrowing otherwise?? look im not saying duke gives these fin aid packages no one can match, but a 5-figure stipend that can cover living expenses and then some is a big upgrade from a 5-figure loan to pay the same thing.

Hi kids! Another c/o 2010er here, DYING on medicine.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Just thought I'd drop in and say HI - can't guarantee I'll be able to make it out to any of the 2nd look events, but feel free to PM me if you have questions of course.

By the way, I own a townhouse and have a room with a private bathroom that will be opening up for rent in late July. If any of you have any interest, PM me. FCD, let me know if any of your classmates are looking for a place, too.

Oh. I'm a lady, but dudes are also welcome if you don't mind a lady landowner.

would you let me plant some veggies and bring my kitty???

if not, and if i go to duke, i'll be looking for someone to live with in a house with a yard and my kitty. ideally able to walk to a cafe and/or bar and (is this a complete pipe dream?) either bikeable or public-transport-friendly to school.

any potential roommates? :)

buddies, don't forget to mention that the cost of living in Durham is really low, at least coming from the Washington DC area.

Why Duke?
Since college I was undecided between MD and MD/PhD but I finally decided on MD only with international research concentration. And my love (Duke) will allow me to do research for a whole year! How awesome :love:

Quick question to current Duke med students.

Will we have enough time to look for apartment options in the Durham area during Second Look? What did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question to current Duke med students.

Will we have enough time to look for apartment options in the Durham area during Second Look? What did you guys do?

Yeah they'll take you around to some apartment complexes. There's also a grad student housing website that you can use to search for potential roommates.

if not, and if i go to duke, i'll be looking for someone to live with in a house with a yard and my kitty. ideally able to walk to a cafe and/or bar and (is this a complete pipe dream?) either bikeable or public-transport-friendly to school.

Public transport in Durham is pretty poor. Biking to school is definitely doable from some apartment complexes and housing. There aren't tons of apartment complexes within walking distance of cafes/bars, because Durham just isn't a city that's very conducive to walking anywhere.

but isnt that 30k money you would be potentially borrowing otherwise?? look im not saying duke gives these fin aid packages no one can match, but a 5-figure stipend that can cover living expenses and then some is a big upgrade from a 5-figure loan to pay the same thing.

I'm not saying the option to make money third year isn't great, because it is. What I'm saying is that that is not why our average indebtedness is so low. The average indebtedness of students taking out loans is def not $80k, it is much higher. Our overall average is that low because a considerable amount of the class isn't taking out loans. But yeah, $30k is nothing to scoff at, assuming you can get one of the scholarships.

I'm not saying the option to make money third year isn't great, because it is. What I'm saying is that that is not why our average indebtedness is so low. The average indebtedness of students taking out loans is def not $80k, it is much higher. Our overall average is that low because a considerable amount of the class isn't taking out loans. But yeah, $30k is nothing to scoff at, assuming you can get one of the scholarships.

Hey diosa,

Are the merit scholarships (not for 3rd year) for minorities only? I've seen that somewhere but wasn't sure if it was correct. Also, how competitive are the 3rd year scholarships?
Thanks!

Coming back to this thread at the end of a day of unsucessful thesising just put a huge smile on my face. Comments:
Longhorntarheel, I completely agree about loving the opportunity to start clinical work second year. I've been in science classes for 4 years now, and while I've loved the material, the opportunity to start actually seeing how it applies a year early is very appealing. I also agree about college basketball-- I will definitely be camping out for tickets next year!
Meowkat, you sound like just the sort of roommate I would love.
EkLilian, what kind of international research are you interested in?
Finally, FCD, thanks for your comment about classmates becoming family. That's just what I needed to hear.
Anyway, I'm very excited to meet you all and revisit NC soon!
Amers

Hey diosa,

Are the merit scholarships (not for 3rd year) for minorities only? I've seen that somewhere but wasn't sure if it was correct. Also, how competitive are the 3rd year scholarships?
Thanks!

In my class, the full rides all went to minorities, except some scholarship that's only for NC residents (or something like that). I'm not sure if the same holds true with the first years. Perhaps FCD can chime in about that. Duke does also give out need based scholarships.

We find out about 3rd year scholarships on Friday. The external scholarships (aka, the big money) are getting more difficult to get as more and more students at other schools are opting to take a year off to do research. But a decent amount of Duke students still get them. I'd say there is prob an average of 4-5 Duke students accepted at each of the NIH programs (there are two, one for basic science and one for clinical), then a couple get the Sarnoff (for cardiovascular research), a few will get HHMI grants to do basic science research at whatever institution they proposed... Then there are the internal scholarships, for which you apply after the decisions for the external scholarships come out (so if you didn't get one of those you still have a chance). They are generally less money - most are only a couple of thousand, and some are specific to the field that you want to go into (surgery, medicine, etc). There's also the Duke Roadmap Scholarship for clinical research that is something like $21,000, however students from any Duke grad school can apply - they're not just for the school of medicine. I want to say there are around 6 of those, but I'm not sure.

Also, 1-2 will get Doris Duke scholarships (to do clinical research at a Doris Duke insitution - Duke interestingly is not one of them) and 2 will get money to go to the Duke school in Singapore. Some students will also apply for the Fullbright and the Fogarty scholarship for research abroad, but I'm pretty sure students don't get those every year.

For those of you that are already obsessing about Durham and apartment hunting, here are some places that students commonly live:

Station Nine www.stationnine.com - very close to school, definitely bikeable, and a kid in my class used to just walk to school. Near Ninth Street, which has some good bars and restaurants.

The Lofts http://www.loftsatlakeview.com/ Right across the street from school, but very, very expensive. IMO, I don't think they're nice enough to be worth the cost, but there are a few ppl in my class who live there.

Northe Pointe Commons (I'm not sure why they don't have their own website anymore, but they used to) http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000007908.php Close enough to bike to school, def not close enough to walk. About a ~5 min drive if there's no traffic. Close to Ninth St and Brightleaf Square (another area with good bars and restaurants). Area directly surrounding the complex is a little sketchy, but it's gated.

Deerfield http://www.deerfieldapt.com/s/homepage Older apartments, my friend lived in one that smelled like old cigarette smoke for like 6 months, close to Duke Forest (with trails leading to the forest in the back of the complex), probably close enough to bike to Duke, 5-10 min drive. Down a really long sketchy dark road that scares me at night.

Alexan Place http://www.alexanplaceapts.com/s/homepage Nice and new, closer to the southern end of Durham (ie, closer to CH). ~10 min drive to Duke, but you have to get on the highway to get to Duke from here. Close to Target and 15-501, which has a lot of stores on it. Plus, the nice mall is in the southern end of town. And the southern end of Durham is generally nicer than the northern end.

Alexan Farms http://www.alexanfarms.com/s/homepage I honestly still don't know the difference between Alexan Place and Alexan Farms, but I think Alexan Farms rents townhouses? Also in the southern end of town.

Mmmm k I need to stop procrastinating.

PS a lot of the apartment complexes are actually cheaper than stated online - if you sign a one year lease they will often give you a decent discount on your monthly rent.

Thanks Diosa, those look great!
Any idea approximately how rent is at each? I couldn't find any figures on the websites...

Thanks Diosa, those look great!
Any idea approximately how rent is at each? I couldn't find any figures on the websites...

You can look at a website like this: http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/North-Carolina/Durham/

but keep in mind, like I said, the prices are generally almost $100 a month cheaper. Off the top of my head, my estimates are: North Pointe 1br, mid-600s, 2 br/2 bath just under $900. Station Nine is a little more expensive, maybe around $1000 for a 2 br/2 bath, no idea what a 1 br would run. Deerfield is a little cheaper, prob like $800 for a 2 br/2 bath. I think Alexan Place is somewhere around the North Pointe - Station Nine range. The Lofts are really expensive, like $1100 or $1200 for a 1 br and $1600 for a 2br.

Actually, I have a kitty myself. He gets along with other kitties too. I have a backyard with a small patch of ground which really should be a garden but which I haven't gotten up the courage to do anything with. The front garden is taken up by a huge bush that flowers in the spring and has x-mas lights on in the winter.

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, there aren't many places within walking distance of the hospital and Durham public transport is in pretty sad shape. My place is 10-15 minutes from the hospital by car. There's a Food Lion and a Harris Teeter just up the street but I always go to the Kroger which is about 5 mins away. There's a Starbucks within walking distance (up by the next traffic light), but I go to Shade Tree which is on Erwin St. right by the hospital because they make their own Masala Chai.

I have a 2 bedroom townhouse, one bedroom on the top floor, one bedroom on the bottom floor. Big living room which is fully furnished and a fully equipped kitchen. Everything has been painted within the last 12 months and I'm slowly working on the floors. The bathroom downstairs next to the 2nd bedroom boasts my first tile floor! 1200+ sq feet...

Yeah, so if this sounds like a good opportunity for anyone, please feel free to PM me. I might ask RW for a copy of the e-mail list for you 2012ers and send out a mass e-mail at some point.

For those of you that are already obsessing about Durham and apartment hunting, here are some places that students commonly live:

Okay, I gotta put in a plug for Croasdaile Crossings (http://www.brantleyproperties.com/croasdailecrossings/index.htm). My roommate and I are living there now and we love it. The apartments are older, but they were recently renovated a couple years ago, so it's mostly nice and new. There's a ton of space 2 BR/2.5 BA, 1250 sq. ft., and we pay $830/month for the two of us and that includes everything except electricity and internet. Water, sewage, trash, and cable are free, and there's a washer/dryer. Also, the rental company is super classy and super nice... none of us have ever had any problems with them at all. The only big drawback is that our fitness room is really small, as is our pool. We do get access to the fitness room at a nearby complex that's owned by the same company, and I've heard it's bigger and nicer, but I've never been.

It's a quiet neighborhood, tucked between a golf course and a country club. We're about a 4-minute drive from the parking garage where MS I's park. There are also 11 first year med students living there now, and we're all staying... we might even have a few more people in our class moving in, so it'll be fun all around. There are a couple fourth years who live there now who will be leaving next year.

In terms of the current first years, Croasdaile Crossings and North Pointe are the most popular, although there are quite a few who live at Station Nine, as well. There are a handful who live at Alexan Farms or Alexan Place, and it's nice, but more expensive and farther out, than North Pointe or Croasdaile. Another place that's similar to Croasdaile and offers 1, 2 and 3 BR places is the Lenox (http://www.ticonproperties.com/residential.php?a=1&p=23. It's a tad more expensive and a tad farther out, but if you're looking for a 3-BR, it's really cheap (I think the third years living there now told me they pay about $300/month/person). Only a couple first years live there now, but there are quite a few upperclassmen who live there. Really just depends on your preferences, I guess.

If they don't take you out to Croasdaile during Second Look, I'd be more than happy to give any of you guys a tour of my house, too. I'm sure at least half a dozen Second Lookers will be staying at Croasdaile anyways.

Anyways, I'm so excited for you guys... congratulations to all of you! I can't wait for Second Look to meet you all!

Hey ya'll !!! (see, I'm trying the southern lingo already)

So today I opened a fedex package in the mail from Duke and it was a notification that I received the Dean's Merit Scholarship. I've been looking on the FinAid website to get more information about it, but I only see information about the Dean's Tuition Scholarship. My letter says "Four years, full-tuition" and basically I'm trying to figure out if that includes a stipend for living expenses that usually are included in financial aid packages. I saw that some current students have mentioned fellow students that have this and I was hoping you guys could give me more information about what exactly it means.

Lastly, getting this FinAid package looks like it will send me to Duke without question (I'm debating between Duke and Wash U) since it is an unbelievable opportunity. However, I'm being considered for a similar full-tuition scholarship at Wash U (which is 30 minutes from my house), and as far as I could tell from interview days, both schools seemed to fit me very well (rigorous but personal and friendly). Is it ridiculous for me to hold out on this scholarship at Duke and see what Wash U does? I don't want to look a gift-horse in the mouth, but I don't want to choose one over the other just because they offered first. Also, the letter didn't specify a decision date--would it be ridiculous to call the FinAid office to get more details even though I'm not positively committed?

Lots of questions. I can't wait for the second-look weekend and I apologize for the MS3 student who called me while I was out eating dinner--I have obnoxiously loud friends.

thanks for the post on apts diosa! do you have any tips for finding a roommate for next year?

Congrats Clab! You should be very proud!! I'm making a similar choice med- school wise to you, so if you have any thoughts/ want to discuss, let me know.
I'm getting really excited for second look. My PI just got back from a conference in NC and said how warm and beautfiul spring is there.
Magnolia, I'm also going to be searching for a roommate... do people think second look is a good time to do this? or are too many people still undecided at that point?

#1 - Scholarships - I have no idea what the merit scholarships cover, I think you should probably just call fin aid. There's no reason why you shouldn't fully understand and take into account your financial aid packages from both Duke and WashU before you choose.

#2 - Roomates - you can meet people at second look, or you can find a roommate via a grad student housing website that you will be able to access later in the year. Second look is a great time to meet people who are going to be in your class or other people in the med school. As far as them being undecided, you can just keep in contact with them after second look. If you don't want a med student roommate, you can find residents and grad students in other areas on the grad student housing website. It's up to you. Don't worry about finding housing, it's generally not very hard to get housing around here. You can still easily get an apartment in June/July/August.

#3 - Croasdaile - I know a decent number of people live there, but Embellis neglected to mention that it is next to a retirement community and consists of many older neighbors... who give you dirty looks if you go splashing around in their pool while they're trying to do laps... ;)

#3 - Croasdaile - I know a decent number of people live there, but Embellis neglected to mention that it is next to a retirement community and consists of many older neighbors... who give you dirty looks if you go splashing around in their pool while they're trying to do laps... ;)

That's part of the charm! The little old ladies (Janice, Frances, and Ruth) are fabulous. They were very useful when we moved in... told us how to find the Wal-Mart, the Super Wal-Mart, the SuperTarget, where to get a hair cut, where to buy groceries, provided us with matches to light our Halloween jack-o-lanterns... one of them even took care of my roommate's pansies while we were away on Winter Break. (Don't mind diosa; she's probably just afraid of old people.)

thanks for the post on apts diosa! do you have any tips for finding a roommate for next year?

Quite a few of us actually met each other on facebook. Quick, someone start a facebook group! The upperclassmen are just waiting to stalk you.

That's part of the charm! The little old ladies (Janice, Frances, and Ruth) are fabulous. They were very useful when we moved in... told us how to find the Wal-Mart, the Super Wal-Mart, the SuperTarget, where to get a hair cut, where to buy groceries, provided us with matches to light our Halloween jack-o-lanterns... one of them even took care of my roommate's pansies while we were away on Winter Break. (Don't mind diosa; she's probably just afraid of old people.)

It's not a fear as much as something else.... let's just say geriatrics was not my favorite clinical core.

Quite a few of us actually met each other on facebook. Quick, someone start a facebook group! The upperclassmen are just waiting to stalk you.

LOL....might start if we don't have one by second look weekend.

hey guys ... it's my first time on here. congrats to everyone on their acceptances! fyi - a facebook page is now up and running for our incoming class - just search for "Duke Med Class of 2012".

looking forward to meeting everyone at second look.

Hey bludevl, welcome!
Second look question for everyone: in terms of hosting- I'm working frantically on my senior thesis, which is due 2.5 weeks after Second look, so (depending on how productive I am this coming week) I might not be able to go to one or both of the evening party/social events. If this is the case, is it better for me to just stay in a hotel so I can go back and work without disrupting a host's schedule? I'd like to get to stay with a student to get to know someone better and get a sense of daily life stuff, but I don't want to be an inconvenience...

Hey bludevl, welcome!
Second look question for everyone: in terms of hosting- I'm working frantically on my senior thesis, which is due 2.5 weeks after Second look, so (depending on how productive I am this coming week) I might not be able to go to one or both of the evening party/social events. If this is the case, is it better for me to just stay in a hotel so I can go back and work without disrupting a host's schedule? I'd like to get to stay with a student to get to know someone better and get a sense of daily life stuff, but I don't want to be an inconvenience...
just beast it now and dont be that guy.

when the thesis is away, the med students will play...

Hey bludevl, welcome!

Really, if you're good enough to get into Duke Med, I think you should be able to finish your thesis AND go to the social events. I have no idea what would be the best decision for you re: where to stay - could you work in your host's living room? Cuz that's probably where you're going to be staying... take into consideration that it might not be the quietest place to be (although I'm sure they could probably drop you off at the library or something).

When IS second look, anyway? They don't tell us anything...

Really, if you're good enough to get into Duke Med, I think you should be able to finish your thesis AND go to the social events. I have no idea what would be the best decision for you re: where to stay - could you work in your host's living room? Cuz that's probably where you're going to be staying... take into consideration that it might not be the quietest place to be (although I'm sure they could probably drop you off at the library or something).

weekend after this, friday the 4th

Thanks. Just to clarify, obviously I plan to/want to go to all the social events. I'd sort of thought I'd just cram thesising in between second looks but I just got a stern talking to from my adviser about prioritizing senior year/med school stuff over research, so now I'm kind of frantic realizing how much work I'm going to have to do in the next few weeks if I want to graduate. I promise I'm not too much of a nerd ususally!

Thanks. Just to clarify, obviously I plan to/want to go to all the social events. I'd sort of thought I'd just cram thesising in between second looks but I just got a stern talking to from my adviser about prioritizing senior year/med school stuff over research, so now I'm kind of frantic realizing how much work I'm going to have to do in the next few weeks if I want to graduate. I promise I'm not too much of a nerd ususally!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
buddy, we understand what you are going through...Hope that you decide to join Duke and we gonna have such a blast!
Keep working...

Did they send you a schedule for second look or anything? My roommate and I have decided to host and I'm trying to get an idea of how often we're going to have to drive our hostee to events and how much free time we'll have.

I figured that was the typical med student schedule?;)
Any recommendations for what clothing to bring? For the club and such?

I figured that was the typical med student schedule?;)
Any recommendations for what clothing to bring? For the club and such?

Club 9 is going to be rented out by Duke (as far as I can tell) for this event, so you can really wear whatever you want (no dress code). When we go out we usually just wear jeans or a skirt, a cute top and boots/cute shoes (girls). Bailey's is a sports bar, so dress code will be approximately the same. Perhaps later some people will be up to going all the way into Chapel Hill, which will be more fun that Bailey's. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the first years will find their way there. Parizades is actually a little formal, so I would plan on wearing something relatively nice if you can - by that I mean don't show up in a t-shirt or a sweatshirt. Khakis should be fine if you don't want to wear jeans, you don't need a dress or anything. As for the rest of the events, I would plan on looking presentable, but you don't need to be dressed up.

thanks for the dress code advice diosa!!

saturday evening in Chapel Hill should be extra fun w. the Final Four game that night!! Go Tar Heels!!!!!!!;)

OMG!!! There is so much that I have not chimed in on here... I'm so sorry. I have been in the Bahamas and I didn't realize y'all had this thread going pretty strong over here so I'll tell you what I'm going to do for y'all. I am going to be doing the "Why Duke?" student panel on Friday morning for y'all and giving one of the tours after that. SO... if you want to come up to me and tell me that you know me from SDN and reveal your true nerdiness, please do so. In fact, everyone at Duke who knows about SDN knows that I'm FCD, and don't be ashamed that you love SDN just like the rest of us.

So ya... hopefully you will be able to figure out who I am. I'm a dude first off. I have dark hair. And... I'm pretty awkward. Also, I'm pretty sure I posted a picture of myself on last year's thread so if you are really curious, you can just go look at that. And... I'll prolly just go ahead and try to join y'alls facebook group... or at least I will stalk it for now. HOLLA!

So ya... hopefully you will be able to figure out who I am. I'm a dude first off. I have dark hair. And... I'm pretty awkward. Also, I'm pretty sure I posted a picture of myself on last year's thread so if you are really curious, you can just go look at that. And... I'll prolly just go ahead and try to join y'alls facebook group... or at least I will stalk it for now. HOLLA!

He's also about as big as a 10 year old girl. :D