MCAT: making up stuff for the writing sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixleggedinsect

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
apologies if im barking up the wrong tree. im new here and i may have missed a good post somewhere.

i dont want to spend much time prepping for the writing sample, and i dont have any kind of mastery of history, nor current events, and have forgotten all the interesting details from every biography i ever read.

and i dont want to spend a month building the oft-recommended 'example bank'.

but what does fluency in world politics, etc, have to do with writing ability?

so- can i just make stuff up? i dont have any problem coming up with hypothetical examples. i understand this comes across as kind of lame, so i could also add fabricated names to make it sound more stirring. is anyone out there getting a strong 'dont use hypotheticals, you sound like a tool' vibe? are there ethical problems with just inventing something convenient so you spend more time writing and less time finding trivia on wikipedia?

thanks--

Members don't see this ad.

I think example banks don't take too long and are a great resource, but I made up examples on mine (didn't know about example banks), and did just fine.

apologies if im barking up the wrong tree. im new here and i may have missed a good post somewhere.

i dont want to spend much time prepping for the writing sample, and i dont have any kind of mastery of history, nor current events, and have forgotten all the interesting details from every biography i ever read.

so- can i just make stuff up? i dont have any problem coming up with hypothetical examples. i understand this comes across as kind of lame, so i could also add fabricated names to make it sound more stirring. is anyone out there getting a strong 'dont use hypotheticals, you sound like a tool' vibe? are there ethical problems with just inventing something convenient so you spend more time writing and less time finding trivia on wikipedia?

thanks--

:laugh:

Don't over think it, just use basic examples from history, novels, media etc. As long as you write well and and give a complete answer, you'll likely do well.

I just found two topics that were broad and used them for my essays over and over again. I'm very familiar with healthcare ethics so took a couple examples from past history and found them very easy to adapt!

It was actually easier to write about the same topics over and over again then it was for me to make up stuff on the fly. (Got a T!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I straight up winged it and got an S. If you're even a marginally good writer, I wouldn't suggest studying for this... it doesn't mean much unless you get an absolutely TERRIBLE score

Personally, I think the trick is to really just keep it simple. I find it a lot harder to write essays with profound and complex connections because I get bogged down in elaborating on them and thus run out of time! So what works for me is to just pick a concept that relates to the prompt; and define it in three ways; 1) how it works 2) how it doesnt work/apply 3) factors that determine its applicability.
My kaplan TA always suggest quality of arguments over how much you are able to write/explain so the best practice would be to find that list of prompts on the aamc site, and just spend 2-3 minutes arguing for/against/criteria for each of them (in your head, you don't have to write it down) until you are comfortable with making stuff up on the spot. :)

I winged it and got a Q despite the test administrator talking at me for a good 3-4 minutes during one of the essays. I also tend to write slowly, and I'm sure that's reflected in my score. I basically just got a feel for what kind of responses the graders were looking for, structure- and content-wise then went in and did my thang. The writing sample doesn't really matter too much unless you destroy it or are destroyed by it, so don't worry a whole lot about not having a totally polished response.

Don't over think it, just use basic examples from history, novels, media etc. As long as you write well and and give a complete answer, you'll likely do well.

that sounds pretty, good, but let me elaborate briefly- i go completely blank trying to dig relevant examples out of history, novels, media, etc. but i have no problem thinking of hypothetical examples. because of this, both coming up with examples on the mcat AND coming up with examples for an 'example bank' seem like big obstacles.

so do the sage MCAT deities among you think that an essay that reads "one example of where it would be inappropriate to tell the truth would be if a doctor found that.. etc etc" would be completely acceptable?

another way to phrase this is- is the example bank to make it easier for people who can't come up with hypotheticals, or because using a stirring example makes your essay look better?

folks must have experience with this. im hoping for an electronic flood of 'i used a hypothetical and i got a [insert high score here]', but i imagine most folks who've been there and done that arent monitoring the MCAT channel.. which is why i originally posted in the premed forum.

thanks for the advice, folks.

thanks--

Yes you can use fictitious examples on the MCAT. Just state them like they are fact and ensure that the logic you use to support your thesis is consistent and clear. I've talked to AAMC about this. They state that what is important is that you know how to argue a point, not that you know general knowledge. That being said, I was warned that examples that go against common knowledge history would be frowned upon, i.e. (Don't use an argument stating that JFK is still alive.) And yes, you can estimate, embellish or create dates, names, quotes, facts and figures to further support your point, and to make your essay stylistically more appealing.

protip: for examples, i always say "the research by professor xyz from abc university suggests..." or "as the authority of this stupid topic, dr. so-and-so, often says..."

i find it to be hilarious but it works.

Yes you can use fictitious examples on the MCAT. Just state them like they are fact and ensure that the logic you use to support your thesis is consistent and clear. I've talked to AAMC about this. They state that what is important is that you know how to argue a point, not that you know general knowledge. That being said, I was warned that examples that go against common knowledge history would be frowned upon, i.e. (Don't use an argument stating that JFK is still alive.) And yes, you can estimate, embellish or create dates, names, quotes, facts and figures to further support your point, and to make your essay stylistically more appealing.
This is great news about the WS!

Members don't see this ad :)
protip: for examples, i always say "the research by professor xyz from abc university suggests..." or "as the authority of this stupid topic, dr. so-and-so, often says..."

i find it to be hilarious but it works.
I love this...I guess I'll lie my *** off and see what happens :p

In one of my practice WS on a kaplan test I referred to a native tribe of peru or something like that when discussing whether we should be obliged to aid 3rd world countries.

haven't received my score yet, but I'll let you know!

I'd only gotten an hour an a half sleep before the MCAT (not a good idea, especially since I took the last paper MCAT and was there from 8 until well after five... they had some technical difficulties and we didn't start until 9:30.)

Anyway, I was a little delusional from sleep deprivation by that point, so I just thought, "What the hell? I'll be conversational. They're probably sick of reading boring essays." I mentioned Paris Hilton twice.

I ended up getting an S. (I only scored a 9 in the verbal section, though, WELL below what I'd been testing at and, once again, probably because I was so sleepy.)

I guess it goes to show you that you don't have to come off as this genius know-it-all. Write something witty, insightful, and don't forget to mention Paris Hilton a couple of times.

I know it's an old bump, but this thread reassured me a fair bit. I've been quite worried about writing the essay, and have wasted (well spent... but feels wasted) hours looking up examples and trying to build a list. I think I'll just write a few practice essays and just work on getting the T-A-S structure down pat and make up some examples :)

I know it's an old bump, but this thread reassured me a fair bit. I've been quite worried about writing the essay, and have wasted (well spent... but feels wasted) hours looking up examples and trying to build a list. I think I'll just write a few practice essays and just work on getting the T-A-S structure down pat and make up some examples :)

It's not THAT old a bump. ;)

For those that are new to the standard essay format I thought I'd explain what what 'T-A-S' is:

Thesis
Antithesis
Synthesis

For the MCAT, you can expand this into paragraphs as follows:

1 - Introduction/Definition
2 - Example of Definition
3 - Counterexample
4 - Resolution of example and counter example

If anyone wants a short elaboration of this format, let me know...

It's not THAT old a bump. ;)

For those that are new to the standard essay format I thought I'd explain what what 'T-A-S' is:

Thesis
Antithesis
Synthesis

For the MCAT, you can expand this into paragraphs as follows:

1 - Introduction/Definition
2 - Example of Definition
3 - Counterexample
4 - Resolution of example and counter example

If anyone wants a short elaboration of this format, let me know...

you need a #5: conclusion.

you just need to make it simple and do exactly what it tells you to do. Vihadas gives great advice, but i disagree with his #2. you should include your definition of the prompt and example together. the question asks you 3 things:
1) what do you think the prompt means (you include an example to warrant your claim)
2) counterxample
3) your own opinion on the matter

structure your essay like this:
1) Introduction - phrase the prompt into the introduction and give your thesis
2) Explain what you think the prompt means and give an example to support your claim
3) Provide a counter example - instance when prompt is not true
4) Your opinion on the prompt - basically summarize #2 and #3 and say which one you personally think is right, or just conclude they are both correct in different contexts
5) Conclusion

that's what I did on my test. i never practiced it once, just went in and made arguments. you make a claim and supply a warrant for that claim. the only thing is, since i never practiced it, i ran out of time on both essays and didn't finish my intro on one and my conclusion on the other. i still got an R, though. I just used examples of Microsoft and it was smooth sailing. my questions were business prompts...after i returned home i told my business major friend and she told me what the prompts were referring to. i actually took the wrong approach to BOTH questions haha. like if i had been debating it in a business class, i would have looked like a fool because the prompts implied something completely different than my interpretation. it didn't matter, though, because i backed up what i said. that's all they care about it - seeing if you can make an argument.

you need a #5: conclusion.

you just need to make it simple and do exactly what it tells you to do. Vihadas gives great advice, but i disagree with his #2. you should include your definition of the prompt and example together. the question asks you 3 things:
1) what do you think the prompt means (you include an example to warrant your claim)
2) counterxample
3) your own opinion on the matter

structure your essay like this:
1) Introduction - phrase the prompt into the introduction and give your thesis
2) Explain what you think the prompt means and give an example to support your claim
3) Provide a counter example - instance when prompt is not true
4) Your opinion on the prompt - basically summarize #2 and #3 and say which one you personally think is right, or just conclude they are both correct in different contexts
5) Conclusion

that's what I did on my test. i never practiced it once, just went in and made arguments. you make a claim and supply a warrant for that claim. the only thing is, since i never practiced it, i ran out of time on both essays and didn't finish my intro on one and my conclusion on the other. i still got an R, though. I just used examples of Microsoft and it was smooth sailing. my questions were business prompts...after i returned home i told my business major friend and she told me what the prompts were referring to. i actually took the wrong approach to BOTH questions haha. like if i had been debating it in a business class, i would have looked like a fool because the prompts implied something completely different than my interpretation. it didn't matter, though, because i backed up what i said. that's all they care about it - seeing if you can make an argument.

It is a matter of style to say the least, but the synthesis of the example and the counterexample is often the strongest way to conclude an essay. You definitely do not need a separate paragraph for the conclusion, but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either. It all depends on how you write and what your personal style is. I'll stick by what I said, four paragraphs is plenty.

The reason I often separated my example and my intro is because I used a specific analogy to define my prompt or used a general situation to describe it. For instance, when discussing business I would often refer to the predator prey model between gazelles and hyenas in the savannah. Then I would simply state how business is similar to nature to conclude my paragraph, and move onto my example at paragraph number two.

The way you've suggested to use your example right away is also an effective way to introduce your explanation of the prompt, but it is not the only way.

After looking at the actual instructions, the TAS doesn't seem to fit THAT well, IMHO. I mean, they say:

[statement]
Describe what the above statement means. Describe a situation in which [statement] may not be true. Detail what determines when [statement] is true.

I don't know if I'll do well on the writing sample or not, but I just tried my best to do exactly what I was asked to do. No more, no less. Meh, we'll see. Hopefully I don't get a J or something :lol:

After looking at the actual instructions, the TAS doesn't seem to fit THAT well, IMHO. I mean, they say:

[statement]
Describe what the above statement means. Describe a situation in which [statement] may not be true. Detail what determines when [statement] is true.

I don't know if I'll do well on the writing sample or not, but I just tried my best to do exactly what I was asked to do. No more, no less. Meh, we'll see. Hopefully I don't get a J or something :lol:

that's not what the real MCAT asks of you for the 3rd part. it asks you what YOU think of the prompt, meaning do you agree, disagree, or a combination of both. that's why, basically, the 3rd part is just a summary and comparison of your first two paragraphs haha with you saying "i think it's correct in this circumstance, incorrect in that one, etc."

i'm just telling you exactly what i did. i DIDN'T even finish either essay due to time (intro on one and conclusion on the other) and still got an R. an R was 85-95 percentile. thus, don't fret over the writing. it'll handle itself.

also, you should definitely have a conclusion. you do not include your conclusion in one of your main body paragraphs. don't you learn in that 5th grade when you learn about a 5-paragraph essay? hehe, just playing with you, Vihadas! obviously his way works, too, since i just saw he got an S on his.

Last edited:
I stuck strictly to a 3 paragraph format and got an R....

The prompt almost always takes a side.... so I combine in the first paragraph the prompt explanation/and an example supporting the prompt.

Paragraph 2 - the antithesis, as this is a new idea.

Paragraph 3 - synthesis which is a conclusion in itself as it's organizing the first two paragraphs to conclude what will dictate each scenario...

Write clearly, address all the tasks in the prompts and it is easy to do well...

I followed the exact instructions. Both sets of instructions gave me very similar instructions to those I outlined. Essentially you needed to define a "determining factor" for task #3. I remember b/c I would review my paragraph and then review the task to make sure it was in line with the task.
that's not what the real MCAT asks of you for the 3rd part. it asks you what YOU think of the prompt, meaning do you agree, disagree, or a combination of both. that's why, basically, the 3rd part is just a summary and comparison of your first two paragraphs haha with you saying "i think it's correct in this circumstance, incorrect in that one, etc."

i'm just telling you exactly what i did. i DIDN'T even finish either essay due to time (intro on one and conclusion on the other) and still got an R. an R was 85-95 percentile. thus, don't fret over the writing. it'll handle itself.

also, you should definitely have a conclusion. you do not include your conclusion in one of your main body paragraphs. don't you learn in that 5th grade when you learn about a 5-paragraph essay? hehe, just playing with you, Vihadas! obviously his way works, too, since i just saw he got an S on his.

I just found two topics that were broad and used them for my essays over and over again. I'm very familiar with healthcare ethics so took a couple examples from past history and found them very easy to adapt!

It was actually easier to write about the same topics over and over again then it was for me to make up stuff on the fly. (Got a T!)

Hi ruraldr. I am look for an example bank for the writing section and I came to your post. I was wondering what examples did you use on the writing section and how did you find them easy to adapt? Any help would be really appreciated.

i made up a few completely random, erroneous, and untrue examples, and i got an "R" on the writing section.. however i also used quite a few accurate, true, & solid examples

i've attached my list of examples that i prepared the night before:

2i9au0.jpg

most of these topics are multifaceted and can be used for many, many different prompts

What is a good example I could use in prompts that deal with democracy? By changing the examples a little I could use it in many prompts dealing with democracy. What would be a good example that I could use?

I took the Kaplan course and they emphasize that it's simply a matter of answering the three tasks accurately and well. It doesn't matter what subject matter you choose as long as you support it logically, just like making any argument. This implies that the judges should be looking at your essays objectively.

My main subject matter for taking on tasks was the video game series 'Metal Gear Solid.' For my second prompt I just talked about Blu-Rays.

I got a Q.

Personally, if I were to come across a prompt about democracy, I probably would have talked about [minor spoilers concerning the video game...] the political involvement of The Patriots, the governing body of the Metal Gear Solid world.

I took the Kaplan course and they emphasize that it's simply a matter of answering the three tasks accurately and well. It doesn't matter what subject matter you choose as long as you support it logically, just like making any argument. This implies that the judges should be looking at your essays objectively.

My main subject matter for taking on tasks was the video game series 'Metal Gear Solid.' For my second prompt I just talked about Blu-Rays.

I got a Q.

Personally, if I were to come across a prompt about democracy, I probably would have talked about [minor spoilers concerning the video game...] the political involvement of The Patriots, the governing body of the Metal Gear Solid world.

What are the three tasks? Can you make up stuff on the writing sample?

What do you mean? The three tasks are part of the instructions of every prompt. Basically: 1.) explain the statement, 2.) explain the opposite, 3.) provide criteria for when it "applies" or not (that's roughly what it means; if you aren't familiar, then learn that of course).

This is from personal opinion, but I think you can make stuff up, as the judges would have NO way of knowing. I mean, don't distort commonly known facts (like saying the South actually won the US Civil War...), but if it's a personal anecdote that you just made up, why not? Again, they are supposed to be objective in how they grade, so theoretically examples should not matter.

Urgh, I hated my writting prompt on my old MCAT several years back. It was something like explain the 'grass is always greener' and if I thinks its true or not. Seemed super, super easy and I put in small personal notes and historical examples... I got like an "M" :confused:

Where are the example banks?

I found the prompt list on the aamc website ... but is there a list of dichotomies or good solid example topics to use?