Combined Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fungikid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ooooo I just found out about the new feature where relevant threads come up after typing in the title. Unfortunately, I've been on the forum for a year and searched high and low but I couldn't find a good, complete answer. So here goes:

What advantages could a combined degree with a PharmD provide?

(1) With a PharmD/MD, could one be BOTH a pharmacist and a doctor? Would there not be a conflict of interest? I've met doctors with both degrees who were pharmacists prior to entering medical school. I was told there is currently not really a specialized area for PharmD/MD's. Is this true? The boss of the pharmacy where my friends works is a PharmD/MD, and, to my surprise, he got his MD not to be a doctor, but to get a higher salary as a pharmacist. This is the first time I've ever heard of such an opportunity. Anyone else know more about this?

(2) With a PharmD/JD, one could be a patent lawyer to fully flesh out the specialized knowledge from both degrees. Are there any other advantages to obtaining both degrees? Could one pursue some sort of government/executive pharmacy/health related career with such a combination of degrees?

(3) I've heard of PharmD/MBA's climbing higher in managerial positions; is this true? Does the MBA also provide higher chances of advancement?

(4) Now for the triple degree combination, PharmD/JD/MBA. This sounds crazy, but considering getting a PharmD/MD could be a 6 Pharmacy + (4 + 4 residency) Medicine = 14 years affair, this 6 Pharmacy + (3 JD + 1 MBA combined program) = 10 years doesn't seem that crazy. Are there any unique/specialized careers one could pursue with this triple combination of degrees?

I know my post may seem crazy, but I'm a first-year student exploring the profession and I love how flexible a pharmacy degree could be. Right now I'm focusing on graduating, but I want to find out more about what sort of further opportunities are available with combined degrees. If you've made it this far of the post, thank you very much for reading! And thank you in advance for your replies! :)

Edited: And to those who are wondering, my main concern is not about salary, but more on the opportunities one could pursue. Of course, more money wouldn't hurt, but please don't think I'm a greedy money grubber.

Members don't see this ad.

(1) When it boils down to it, you can only really do one of these jobs, either be a physician or be a pharmacist, I wouldn't say that no one has gone this route, because they have, but IMO it would be a waste of time, effort, and money to get both degrees

(2) We have MANY PharmD/JDs in our area. This is actually a very good combo as pharmacy is so highly regulated. You could practice law with a specialty in pharmacy or do both with one on the side.

(3) PharmD/MPA is also a good choice, to move up high in a managerial position a MBA definitely helps a TON

(4) too much, just crazy :p

The pharmD/MBA combo is very nice for moving up in industry or retail corporate positions. It gives your employer the best of both worlds. A person that understands the science and the business aspects of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmD/MD is excellent for working for insurance companies and PBMs dealing with things like step therapy programs, prior authorizations, etc. I'm not talking the grunt work either, they do the big picture type of stuff. Even then, I'm quite they were all pharmacists for a while before jumping into the MD program.

Frankly a triple degree sounds stupid. You'll spend far too long in school without enough exposure to the real world. Nothing worse than someone with an MBA who's never even spent a serious amount of time at a career type job.

1. PharmD/MD
The only people I know who have both are those who have gone through career change. You cannot be both (if you are a physician who wants to engage in extensive in-office dispensing, in most states you can obtain pharmacy (not pharmacist, pharmacy!) license without needing a Pharm.D. If you are a pharmacist, and want to work as a pharmacist, there is really no need/use for MD. If you want to be an MD, just pay attention to pharmacology course and keep up with new drugs instead of wasting time and money on pharmacy school. Also if riled with all kinds of conflict of interest. Practicing both is like sitting on a time bomb waiting for it to blow aka result in a lawsuit.

2. PharmD/JD
Patent attorney or malpractice attorney. Can be beneficial and I have met people who have both.

3. PharmD/MBA
Common like dirt nowadays... I am not a fan of combined degree unless the person in question has significant outside (especially office/corporate) job experience. Otherwise MBA becomes just a credential without real foundation. There is a reason best MBA programs don't accept students without a few years of work (and in many cases managerial) experience. Gives skills to succeed on the business side of industry/wholesalers/retail/you name it. Depends on what exactly you want to do.

4. Triple degree
Stupid. No other way to describe it. I would simply never hire anyone who did three degrees and has no real work experience. It screams "looser" louder than playing videogames among moldy pizza crusts. :D If they come over some twenty years as someone is building their career and acquiring new skills - that's one thing. Someone who is just getting degrees for the sake of avoiding real world - that's another.

5. PharmD/PhD
For people who are hardcore about bench science research (as opposed to clinical research). For academic/industry/government-sponsored research career.

6. PharmD/MPH
For any kind of epidemiology research, academic or government-based (CDC, etc.)

This covers the most common combinations, I think...

PharmD/MBA
i am wondering how much they make?? if they make same thing retail pharmacist make then there is no point of getting a MBA degree

PharmD/MBA
i am wondering how much they make?? if they make same thing retail pharmacist make then there is no point of getting a MBA degree
It's not money, it's job/career opportunities. Though if you only want money, please don't bother with an MBA and spare pharma industry your presence, we have enough problems as it is . :D

PharmD/MBA just gives you a lot more opportunity to move up into higher managerial positions than a PharmD alone, the increased earning potential is definitely there though.

You aren't going to make any more as a pharmacist with an MBA.

Sure you can, there are lots of upper level management positions that require an MBA or equivalent business experience, you can definitely make more money.

then what the heck "Hel2007" talking about
If you think anyone is going to pay you a bundle of money just for extra three letters after your name, you are wrong. The value of MBA is in the different career options it opens for you, but the financial payout will take years. Money is paid for the value you add (and accordingly your experience), not your degree(s) per se. If you want a quick buck, there are easier way. Clear now?

Sure you can, there are lots of upper level management positions that require an MBA or equivalent business experience, you can definitely make more money.
No position within pharma "requires" an MBA. You can get to the same positions and money without it. However, MBA gives you skills you can use to navigate different positions and likely get to where you want to be faster, but not necessarily. It can make you more effective in what you do and result in a higher bonus, but it has to be a good MBA, not something done as a half-hearted afterthought after a therapeutics exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree wrt to Pharm.D/MBA. MBA opens doors when you've gone to a good school to obtain the degree. Most respectable MBA programs require business experience beforehand. Sure, there are diluted MBA programs out there, where your MBA courses can double as your pharmacy elective courses in some schools. But in many programs you don't even finish with the graduating class you came in with, and it's not always integrated with regards to pharmaceutical aspects. Donald Trump never needed an MBA. A friend of mine who was on "The Apprentice", never had an MBA (although he took business courses back at an Ivy-league college).

With respect to making more as a pharmacist by dint of having an MBA? Nah, it doesn't work that way. A Pharm.D degree and a good mind with bright ideas (and even some kissing up along the way!) can move you up the management ladders well. If you want to be an independent pharmacy owner, it may be worthwhile to peruse. If you want to work for a pharmaceutical company but do something quite tangential to pharmacy- you could work in accounting departments and work on allocation and the 'bottom line'.

I'm sure its highly advisable for a pharmacist to get an MBA to work up to a high-ranked position in a major hospital system, right? That is my ultimate goal. The past CEO of my hospital had his PharmD and MBA. I figured that since I won't have an M.D. then I'll need that extra degree to push me up there.

My plan is to finish my PharmD first...that way I can concentrate on one thing and then get work experience. Then I hope to get into a local university that has a top ranked MBA school.

I'm sure its highly advisable for a pharmacist to get an MBA to work up to a high-ranked position in a major hospital system, right? That is my ultimate goal. The past CEO of my hospital had his PharmD and MBA. I figured that since I won't have an M.D. then I'll need that extra degree to push me up there.

My plan is to finish my PharmD first...that way I can concentrate on one thing and then get work experience. Then I hope to get into a local university that has a top ranked MBA school.

I plan on going into some kind of hospital management position eventually, I think the combo degree is a great way to do it too.

Hey guys!!

I'm so sorry for replying SO late in the game. I've been reading your responses and they are very very very informative and helpful - THANK YOU!!

So far the PharmD/MBA and PharmD/JD routes seem realistic and very interesting. I'm also interested in working in the pharmaceutical industry or hospital management so PharmD/MBA definitely sounds very enticing. Patent/malpractice law sounds intriguing too, but I'm not sure if I'm up for the long hours and lack of patient/human interaction (correct me if I'm wrong on this aspect of being a lawyer).

Now after having done some more outside research, a triple degree does sound excessive. But as Hels2007 said, it could be useful in building one's career. I wonder if anyone actually went through with that much schooling?

Thank you guys for all the helpful responses! Hehe I love pharmacy.

If anyone has any more opinions/experiences/thoughts, please DO chime in! All comments are greatly appreciated! :)

1. 3. PharmD/MBA
Common like dirt nowadays...

what in the world makes you think this? I'm currently doing pharmD/MBA and i'm the only one in my class doing it. And as far as previous classes go I think only 5 or 6 have done it since it was first offered at VCU.

How many US unis do MBA and how difficult is it to get into the good ones after finishing a pharmD.

Also, is there a second degree which can be done which combines pharmacy and engineering?

Another option you have as a clinical pharmacist is to consult with law firms when they have questions about a case. This way you continue with your clinical patient interaction and make good money on the side w/o getting a JD.

Another option you have as a clinical pharmacist is to consult with law firms when they have questions about a case. This way you continue with your clinical patient interaction and make good money on the side w/o getting a JD.

Pharm.D/JD does make good money. Back when i was working for Pfizer, the patent lawyer was a Pharm.D/JD, and was one the people who urged me to go into pharmacy. He is on ~$250K salary + unknown $ bonus and stock options.

My research director was a RPh/Ph.D. Educated guess is that she's making ~$200k a year + stock options.

So yes, some of these combos do make lots of $. The problem is I HATE LAW, and lawyers. :rolleyes:

Law school isn't that long, interesting... my pharmacy school has a law school across campus.

How many positions do they have for jobs like this?

what is the average salary for PharmD/MBA degree
Say for ex you are a district manager of a retail
or how about some pharmaceutical industry?

Ooooo I just found out about the new feature where relevant threads come up after typing in the title. Unfortunately, I've been on the forum for a year and searched high and low but I couldn't find a good, complete answer. So here goes:

What advantages could a combined degree with a PharmD provide?

(1) With a PharmD/MD, could one be BOTH a pharmacist and a doctor? Would there not be a conflict of interest? I've met doctors with both degrees who were pharmacists prior to entering medical school. I was told there is currently not really a specialized area for PharmD/MD's. Is this true? The boss of the pharmacy where my friends works is a PharmD/MD, and, to my surprise, he got his MD not to be a doctor, but to get a higher salary as a pharmacist. This is the first time I've ever heard of such an opportunity. Anyone else know more about this?

(2) With a PharmD/JD, one could be a patent lawyer to fully flesh out the specialized knowledge from both degrees. Are there any other advantages to obtaining both degrees? Could one pursue some sort of government/executive pharmacy/health related career with such a combination of degrees?

(3) I've heard of PharmD/MBA's climbing higher in managerial positions; is this true? Does the MBA also provide higher chances of advancement?

(4) Now for the triple degree combination, PharmD/JD/MBA. This sounds crazy, but considering getting a PharmD/MD could be a 6 Pharmacy + (4 + 4 residency) Medicine = 14 years affair, this 6 Pharmacy + (3 JD + 1 MBA combined program) = 10 years doesn't seem that crazy. Are there any unique/specialized careers one could pursue with this triple combination of degrees?

I know my post may seem crazy, but I'm a first-year student exploring the profession and I love how flexible a pharmacy degree could be. Right now I'm focusing on graduating, but I want to find out more about what sort of further opportunities are available with combined degrees. If you've made it this far of the post, thank you very much for reading! And thank you in advance for your replies! :)

Edited: And to those who are wondering, my main concern is not about salary, but more on the opportunities one could pursue. Of course, more money wouldn't hurt, but please don't think I'm a greedy money grubber.

Your boss is a MD and he's running a pharmacy? What type of pharmacy do you work in? Please don't tell me you work for a chain... lol

wow pharmD/JD seems like it would be very tough, how many years? anyone have conversation about this combo with someone who has it?

5)PharmD/MSCR?? Anyone know anything about that option for someone interested in clinical trials research, specifically comparing it to an industry fellowship? Both would take two years after pharm school unless you went into a dual degree program... http://campbellpharmacy.net/academics/pharmdmscr.html

Last edited:
I actually will have this degree combination from this university. Send me a message if you want to know more about it.

5)PharmD/MSCR?? Anyone know anything about that option for someone interested in clinical trials research, specifically comparing it to an industry fellowship? Both would take two years after pharm school unless you went into a dual degree program... http://campbellpharmacy.net/academics/pharmdmscr.html

I'm actually a pre-law PharmD P1 student currently. Although my school doesn't have a joint program (its okay, its usually too expensive anyway), they have a pre-law designation with a pre-law advisor. Just so you know, there is more than just patent and malpractice law for this duel degree. There is actually something called Pharmaceutical Law! Pfizer (as someone mentioned) has the largest pharmaceutical law firm. In case you decide to go down this path, I'll tell you this is what I'm planning on doing and its not that bad: Pharmacy school by itself and then during rotations study for the LSATs. Take the LSATs at the end of rotations and then apply to law schools (night programs). I would like to be hired by a pharmaceutical company upon graduation and sign a contract with them that I will be a staff pharmacist (medical writer, etc.) while I'm attending law school at night and they will financially support the education if I agree to represent them for X amount of years. This is the master "perfect world" plan, but it has and does happen all the time with grad degrees in general and with this combination in particular. So, if you are interested, do some more research and go for it! Law school won't be as bad as pharmacy if you think logically, like I do. My way of thought gets me in trouble in pharm school but will help me in law school so I'm actually looking forward to it-everyone thinks I'm crazy but that's okay because I will be happy with my career choice once its over and done with!

i was thinking the JD Pharm D route, but i was told by a few people tat having both degrees doesnt necessarily give you a leg up, hence i aborted tat route

but good luck to ya, we have one floater pharmacist who is in law school, he works 2 days a week and goes full time school