Question about 2009 Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alshera

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about what a "submission" date for your application is if you submit it while waiting for your MCAT scores. I am taking the June 13th MCAT, so if I submit July 1st and wait for the scores, what would be the "submission" date after my application is reviewed? Also, since I'm taking the later mcat, how bad will this hurt me as far as early applications go? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

The submission date doesn't really matter. What you're after is the date your AMCAS application is complete, and that won't happen until you have at least one set of MCAT scores to work with. If you've previously taken the MCAT, you can submit all of your application materials and have your AMCAS done and ready to send to the schools you're applying to - a move I would highly recommend. That'll give you a chance to start working on the automatic secondaries while waiting for your scores. The schools that screen will probably just set your application aside until the new scores are in unless your old numbers pass the screening process. When in doubt, call the schools and ask.

Thank you for your reply! But is it possible to get screened because my first MCAT score was low even though I'm retaking?

No. You put on AMCAS that you are taking the June MCAT and your primary won't be reviewed until you release your MCAT scores.

Edit -- To clarify, schools that auto-secondary will send you one immediately. The rest won't review your primary until they have your most recent scores.