How many MCATs is to many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureTXDr

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does taking the MCAT more than a couple of times decrease your chances of being accepted to Med School? Is four times to much? All increasing?

Members don't see this ad.

Some guy at my (undergrad) school ended up taking it 5 times and eventually got in, so I would imagine 4 might be okay. No matter what we tell you it's ulitmately going to be up to the schools.

Well it depends on what scores you get. For instance if you retake multiple times with a relatively high score (33+), I'm pretty sure adcoms look down on that. However, I'm guessing this is more of a getting low score how many times deal. In that case, definitely aim for improvement on the retake. I don't think retaking 3+ but still scoring low would look good. Ideally it should be as few as possible. Never retake if you don't have a good practice score average. Never.

I honestly don't believe for one second that med schools look down on students that take the MCAT multiple times. Common sense would indicate that multiple MCATs = determination. Interpret it as you like, but don't forget to look at the grand scheme of things.

If I were an adcom, I'd highly favor the student that took the MCAT 3+ times and did better every time as opposed to the student that just took it once and got in the high 20's/low 30's. In medicine, you are always demanding the most out of yourself. This is just the beginning.

The med school application process is about endurance and persistence. Think of it as a triathlon: a person may be better at one event, while the same event is another person's weakness. In the end, if you keep at it, you will get into medical school. Yeah, it might take longer than you'd like, but your goal should be in sight.

You only have one life to live. Fight for your passion. Do whatever you need to do to make yourself a stronger applicant. There are no specific rules to applying to med school. Everyone has their own unique story and path as to how they got to med school, so stick to your guns and keep your chin up. There are lots of people out there that have been struggling to get to where they are, and they end up appreciating their achievements a lot more! :thumbup: :) :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't believe for one second that med schools look down on students that take the MCAT multiple times. Common sense would indicate that multiple MCATs = determination. Interpret it as you like, but don't forget to look at the grand scheme of things.

If I were an adcom, I'd highly favor the student that took the MCAT 3+ times and did better every time as opposed to the student that just took it once and got in the high 20's/low 30's. In medicine, you are always demanding the most out of yourself. This is just the beginning.

The med school application process is about endurance and persistence. Think of it as a triathlon: a person may be better at one event, while the same event is another person's weakness. In the end, if you keep at it, you will get into medical school. Yeah, it might take longer than you'd like, but your goal should be in sight.

You only have one life to live. Fight for your passion. Do whatever you need to do to make yourself a stronger applicant. There are no specific rules to applying to med school. Everyone has their own unique story and path as to how they got to med school, so stick to your guns and keep your chin up. There are lots of people out there that have been struggling to get to where they are, and they end up appreciating their achievements a lot more! :thumbup: :) :luck:

I agree with the sentiment here, and really believe that if med school is truly something you want then you should take as many MCATs as acceptance dictates.

On the flip side though, I have to believe there is a negative connotation to taking it multiple times. If it takes you multiple tries (more than 2) to get a 30 or so, although the adcoms might approve of your dedication, they will probably also have to consider whether you will be able to cut it in med school, where you are unable to put class on hold just because you can't keep up. I don't mean for that to come across in a negative way, but I don't want to sugar coat it either.

The bottom line is that if you really want to be a doctor, you'll do what it takes, and not give up no matter what anyone thinks of the way you get it done. You're never out of the game. Unless maybe you're a murderer, or a rapist. Good luck.

Taking the MCAT more than two times is not a good idea. Most medical schools will start to wonder about your application after that point. I think people who get 30 or better and decide to retake unless one of their individual scores is less than an 8 or they got a J on the Writing Sample are just doing themselves a disservice.

It depends on the school. You don't want schools to think you're gonna be the same way about taking your board exams (which you can only take once if you pass).

An adcom member/interviewer told me he is annoyed when students say they took it the first time "without preparing much, just to see how they do."

Go into it like you can only take it once, and only retake if you can significantly improve.

I agree with the sentiment here, and really believe that if med school is truly something you want then you should take as many MCATs as acceptance dictates.

On the flip side though, I have to believe there is a negative connotation to taking it multiple times. If it takes you multiple tries (more than 2) to get a 30 or so, although the adcoms might approve of your dedication, they will probably also have to consider whether you will be able to cut it in med school, where you are unable to put class on hold just because you can't keep up. I don't mean for that to come across in a negative way, but I don't want to sugar coat it either.

The bottom line is that if you really want to be a doctor, you'll do what it takes, and not give up no matter what anyone thinks of the way you get it done. You're never out of the game. Unless maybe you're a murderer, or a rapist. Good luck.

Just like to add that some people are not great standardized test takers. I have always been at the top of my classes in terms of GPA but I always score near the median on standardized tests.

I can get through the classes fine. I just can not beat the test to get there.

So, just because you can not do well on the standardized test, does not mean that person will have problems with the classes. They may but probably more problems with the boards!!

No matter what. You have to work hard on where you are weak and try to build it up to the best of your abilities.

Just like to add that some people are not great standardized test takers. I have always been at the top of my classes in terms of GPA but I always score near the median on standardized tests.

I can get through the classes fine. I just can not beat the test to get there.

So, just because you can not do well on the standardized test, does not mean that person will have problems with the classes. They may but probably more problems with the boards!!

No matter what. You have to work hard on where you are weak and try to build it up to the best of your abilities.

I'm the same way. My knowledge of the material is always solid and I tend to do excellent in all my classes, it's just the whole "time pressure" issue when taking standardized tests. It's not WHAT'S on the test that worries me, but rather HOW to take the test in the most efficient manner. I've known a lot of dumb people that have scored high on standardized tests, specifically the MCAT. Since bitching and moaning won't do us any good, we should focus our efforts on simulating test-taking conditions and learn how to deal with test day.

I've always gone into those tests with a sense of excitement kind of. I look forward to the ability to prove myself, so although the tests make me nervous if they're really important, I don't really get those "nerves" during tests. Just look at it as an opportunity, I guess? :p

I think this is a REALLY misled point of view. Med schools want to see that you're good at something the first time around and that you know how to sufficiently prepare. Obviously 2 MCATs won't hurt anyone, and 3 is probably fine too, but there's DEFINITELY a line, and it's probably after 3 tests. Med schools will also let you re-take courses you bombed, but they don't just give you the new grade, they average them. While there's leeway and they usually don't mind if it takes more than once to succeed, it is CERTAINLY a drawback to have done miserably on the MCAT more than once. It's not "dedication," it's failure to prepare properly once it happens more than once. Don't kid yourself into thinking med schools want you to take the MCAT every few months just to show your dedication. You should never take the MCAT without feeling 100% like you're ready to own it.

Common sense would actually indicate that taking the MCAT multiple times (more than 2-3) shows you're NOT dedicated enough in your study habits, but refuse to give up. If you make it on that 3rd try, I'm sure you'll do fine and get in somewhere, but you honestly think a student who gets a 36 the first time is going to be passed over for a student who gets a 20, 25, 35?

I've got to second Capt. Jazz's sentiment. Obviously hard work, determination, and not-giving-upness are great qualities for medical practitioners to have. But preparedness, preparation, and being able to self-assess are probably even better qualities. If it's your surgeon, do you want a hard worker that eventually gets things right, or someone who came in prepared to do something well, even though is is difficult to do?

That said, it's obviously not fair to compare an MCAT-taker to a surgeon. Students are going to make mistakes, and a retake (or maybe two) is probably fine. But more than that and I'd start to wonder about the person who was willing to drop three mediocre scores over the course of several months and dozens of hours of prometric testing before finally getting a decent score.

So for me, I'd think it would be better to show that I was hard working and determined with things like my undergrad coursework and extracurriculars. The MCAT is a better opportunity to show that when the chips are down, I can do it.

...Of course, if you are thinking about retaking, don't let this freak you out. Everyone has bad days, and it's just a test, not surgery.

Like everyone else has said, improvement makes the difference between multiple testings being good or being bad. I had to take it three times (made the same thing the first two times), but I still got in!

Reactions: 1 user
Like everyone else has said, improvement makes the difference between multiple testings being good or being bad. I had to take it three times (made the same thing the first two times), but I still got in!

do you mind if i ask what did you get on your MCAT? and what your gpa is? the reason i am asking is that i just recently got my 2nd mcat score back today..
my 1st one was 27 and my 2nd was 28 =(.. my gpa is 3.3...i have competitive EC.
I am asking this to decide whether I should take the test again this summer because I want to apply this summer... but i just dont know if a month or 2 will make much of the difference in my score.. I dont know if there are other methods of studying for this test that will help me greatly improve my score.