****2009 Tmdsas***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you do get accepted to all 3 schools and couldnt make a decision by the January, can you accept to more than school in the meanwhile you decide on where you wanna go bc i heard TMDSAS will know and as soon as you accept somewhere they automatically take you out the other school.

Members don't see this ad.

well technically, yes, you can

but if after going on all 3 interviews you cannot make a decision, i seriously wonder if you were paying attention, taking note of things you liked/didn't like

i don't know whether TMDSAS really enforces this, but they should

also, it really isn't fair to other students who are just waiting on that one acceptance, so don't hold spots and multiple schools

you have 45 days +/- a few to make a decision, if you can't make one by then, what makes you think you are gonna know where to go, 1, 2, 3 months down the line -- i took me up until right after New Year's to make my decision, and I still had a week to spare, it should be plenty of time IMO

also, baylor requires a deposit

Just got back from h-town, my last of the three interviews. UTDB seems like an awesome place to go to school - great faculty, happy students, and great location (im from houston so obviously im biased). It was also pretty cool getting to meet some of my homies from SDN: DCRedskinsRule, Old-School, and mddang.

Here are my reflections on the schools:

San Antonio
-ranked very well when there were rankings and they love to remind you
-interview seemed a bit disorganized and the students seemed very stressed
-emphasis on technology was pretty cool and the mission seems progressive
-connected to med school, which may mean having to split time with those students in class

Baylor
-they have a great name thanks to baylor med school
-Dr.Miller was awesome and they seemed to really care about the people interviewing
-faculty seemed very helpful and the students looked happy
-may be too strong an emphasis on quantity over quality for some of the curriculum (they make an absurd amount of crowns)

Houston
-doesn't have the "baylor" name or reputation of san antonio
-students seem relaxed and willing to help one another
-Dr.Pierpont is awesome and the rest of the faculty seemed close to the students
-being in the middle of the houston medical center lends to several research opportunities

In terms of schools that matched my personality/learning habits/etc Id rank them:

1.Baylor - Houston
3.San Antonio

Just thought I would share my experiences with my fellow texans. Best of luck to all of you and we are truly blessed to have three such great schools in our state!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back from h-town, my last of the three interviews. UTDB seems like an awesome place to go to school - great faculty, happy students, and great location (im from houston so obviously im biased). It was also pretty cool getting to meet some of my homies from SDN: DCRedskinsRule, Old-School, and mddang.

San Antonio
-connected to med school, which may mean having to split time with those students in class

Baylor
-Dr.Miller was awesome and they seemed to really care about the people interviewing
-may be too strong an emphasis on quantity over quality for some of the curriculum (they make an absurd amount of crowns)

Houston
-Dr.Pierpont is awesome and the rest of the faculty seemed close to the students
-being in the middle of the houston medical center lends to several research opportunities

In terms of schools that matched my personality/learning habits/etc Id rank them:

1.Baylor - Houston
3.San Antonio

Just thought I would share my experiences with my fellow texans. Best of luck to all of you and we are truly blessed to have three such great schools in our state!

We do not split time with the med students at all. We do not take classes with them. There are 4 separate lecture halls in the dental school for the dental students, and 2 lecture halls in the medical school for the dental students. The only time we might even see the med students is when they come to the dental school for their gross anatomy class... the gross lab is in the dental school. But there is not any conflict with the med students because their class is on Mondays and Thursdays, and the dental students take theirs Tuesdays and Fridays. Exams are not at the same time, so there really isn't any "splitting time" with the med students who use the same body as you. When we are doing trunk, they are doing head and neck, and vis versa.

Does anyone know about the clinical experiences in Houston?

I have heard they are having a lot of trouble getting the required clinicals in. I don't know if this is a common theme or if the hurricanes have simply scattered their patient base around. I know they get a lot of extractions and fillings, but what about other pertainent procedures (dentures, crowns, bridges, etc..)?

I got a really good vibe from there at my interview, but I was just a little worried about the clinical experiences in third and fourth year. I know Baylor has you do like 1,000,000 crowns, extractions and dentures (joke), but that will really facilitate your efficiency and effectiveness after dental school. After all, providing good care to your patients means being able to competently/quickly do good work for everyone on all types of procedures.

Thanks.

Less than 2 weeks left :wow:

haha

Good luck to all of us~ :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I have heard they are having a lot of trouble getting the required clinicals in. I don't know if this is a common theme or if the hurricanes have simply scattered their patient base around. I know they get a lot of extractions and fillings, but what about other pertainent procedures (dentures, crowns, bridges, etc..)?

I got a really good vibe from there at my interview, but I was just a little worried about the clinical experiences in third and fourth year. I know Baylor has you do like 1,000,000 crowns, extractions and dentures (joke), but that will really facilitate your efficiency and effectiveness after dental school. After all, providing good care to your patients means being able to competently/quickly do good work for everyone on all types of procedures.

Thanks.

Although I do not know the answer to your question, it is important to understand you will have exposure to all types of procedures during dental school, some more than others.

Bridges are becoming fewer at many schools from what I understand... I don't know if it is because they just aren't needed, or if it has to do with the surge in everybody wanting implants. My guess is the latter. With that being said, San Antonio only requires you to do one competency bridge during 4th year. Of course you can always do more than that.

As far as dentures are concerned at San Antonio, you do two complete denture cases 3rd year, and I believe one complete denture and 1 RPD 4th year. As far as crowns and fillings are concerned, I really couldn't give you a number. We have competency exams here that we have to pass in order to graduate. Everything else beyond these competency exams is doing procedures to attain points. Your grade is based on point production, and different procedures give a different number of points.

I don't know if the other schools do this or not, but San Antonio has Invisalign and Cerec electives. Upon completion of these electives, you can start treating patients for Invisalign and Cerec crowns during your 3rd and 4th year. I am taking the Invisalign elective next semester... I am looking forward to being able to do an Invisalign case when I start clinic in July.

As far as clinic time is concerned, during 3rd year at San Antonio, students are in clinic Mondays and Fridays 9-12, and 1-5, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 1-5, and Thursdays from 9-12. For 4th years, clinic is Mondays 9-12, Tuesdays 9-12, 1-5, Wednesdays 1-5, Thursdays 9-12, 1-5, and Fridays 9-12, 1-5.

Then there are several off-site and on-campus rotations that students get to do... Pedo and OMS at the community clinics and campus clinics, perio, hospital dentistry, etc. All 4th year students get to do a 2 week rotation in Laredo (mainly kids) or Harlingen (all ages). So even when you are not in clinic treating your "family" of patients, you are getting plenty of experience while on your rotations.

San Antonio also does instrument leasing, which I think is nice. You are not having to buy tons of your own instruments. Instead, you pay to borrow the instruments while you are in school. I think this is nice, because it is very likely you are not going to use the instruments after you graduate, had you purchased them yourself. Also, each student is guaranteed a chair every day in clinic. Every student (for the most part) has their own operatory. There will be a couple students who share a space, but there is never fighting over the chair for that day, because when other students are on rotations, and so you get to use their operatory that day if you end up being the one who shares. Overall it's really great.

Also, I know this was not entirely related to the post I responded to, but I figure it might benefit those trying to make decisions in another week or so.

Greenwave, I too, was impressed with Houston, the staff and students. I was bummed I missed you DCRedskins... I was going to rib you about the Cowboys game. I'm actually from MN... I like you avatar Greenwave:laugh:
I'm going to wait until I get accepted first though(crossing fingers). We are fortunate to live in texas!
Jay, I can't imagine Houston having a hard time getting patients, I'm sure it won't last long if that is the case. I agree about the high volume of crowns/extractions at Baylor. I assisted an ex-navy Dr. at the last TMOM in Corpus and he was one of the best I've seen at extractions and he said it was because he did a lot of them fast-paced in the Navy...he was definitely good at it.

I agree with your impressions of the schools Mr (Ms?). Moss.

San Antonio

Baylor

Houston

1.Baylor - Houston
3.San Antonio

I asked one of the Houston 4th years doing a rotation at our clinic today about the patient pool issue. They said they've had no problem getting enough units of fixed, removable, etc. for their requirements.

Old-school, are you talking about Dr. Overstreet from TMOM or someone else?

I asked one of the Houston 4th years doing a rotation at our clinic today about the patient pool issue. They said they've had no problem getting enough units of fixed, removable, etc. for their requirements.

Old-school, are you talking about Dr. Overstreet from TMOM or someone else?

No, it was someone else. He was a first-timer I believe -from SA

I like your avatar Greenwave.

Lol, thanks! It was nice meeting you and good luck with the rest of the admissions process!

I agree with your impressions of the schools Mr (Ms?). Moss.

Mr. Moss works haha. So how would you rank the schools in terms of which ones fit your personality best??

Members don't see this ad :)
Do schools also reject people on dec 1st? ? ?

Nice meetin you too man! And sorry I missed you Old-School. But again, if any more of you are headed down there for interviews soon and want a mini-tour/info session, PM me and we'll try and coordinate something!

T minus 9 days right? Good luck all! And green wave is right, if you get in to ANY ONE of the 3 dental schools in TX, you're VERY blessed. Sure there are some differences here and there, but all three will make you a badass (can i say that on SDN?) dentist!

And don't stress out if you don't get in Dec 1st! There are some people in my class that got in in JULY and are near the top of the class!

I believe some of the schools will send rejections to people on Dec. 1 who have not interviewed letting them know. If you've interviewed though, I don't think you'll get a rejection that day. Can't wait for the first! I agree with you guys and will feel privileged to get into any of the Texas schools.

First of all, the rumor has it that we (Houston) are doing away with some of our requirements. We will see how that pans out. But no matter what, people don't fail to graduate here because they lack the required clinicals. They may be stressed at times because they are having to deal with BS where patients aren't showing up or they are not loaded down with patients (more so in the 3rd year), but in the end you get things completed. Some are just having to work hard until the end. Now, each class is divided into 5 teams - red, blue, green, yellow and orange. Each team has two permanently attached instructors there to guide you through the clinic years. The Primary Bay Instructor you work with only in the 4th year, but the Practice Leader you deal with them from the Spring Semester of the 2nd year when you begin working on patients. Some Practice Leaders are better than others. Green Practice Leader for example is great when it comes to getting you patients. With her, if you need an RPD patient - bang, you got one. If you need 2 endo patients, Bam, there they are. With her, you never have to worry about patients. On the other side, she is a stickler for things. you need to know your $hit. If you don't, she will rip you a new one. Other Practice leaders are laid back and let you do what you want. You can ask them for patients, but they may not be as hard charging in getting the patients for you. So you trade off stress from getting chewed out for stress of not having as many patients as you wish. But in the end, you do reach your requirements and you do graduate on time as long as you pass your courses.

Here is my take on things between schools - if you want to specialize go for San Antonio. They do like to get their people into specialties. But, if you are content with general dentistry which a majority of everyone does, you are better off going to Baylor or Houston who do a better job of teaching what you will need to know in pre-clinic thus have much stronger clinical programs. I am not knocking San Antonio, but based on what I have learned from talking to people, things in the pre-clinic classes haven't changed in a decade since I went there also. Yes, I went to San Antonio for 1 1/2 years in the 90's and then am going to Houston now. Based on what people ahve told me about the pre-clinic info, Baylor and Houston do better jobs of teaching the basics.

I can tell you from my experiences here in Houston, although at times we do get competative, we are still a family. We are always helping each other. The profs are great. They are very supportive and willing to spend time with you outside of class if you are needing a little guidance. If you are struggling, all you need ot do is ask for help. The struggling doesn't need to be about school either. They are there to help you through if you are having trouble outside of class. If you need a ear to vent to , they are there. For those of you who have interviewed at Houston, you all met Dr. P. What you saw with him is truly what you get. That man is as sincere as sincere gets. He loves the students and the school. He loves his job of getting to meet each one of you. If you come here and ever have to deal with the student admin, he is definintely one of the good ones to have to work with.

If you aren't iin this for the name of the school, seriously consider Houston. I love it here. I can tell you one thing, my hand skills are so much better than they were when I wet to San Antonio. There, I really didn't feel I knew what I was doing at times or at leat why I am doing things. Here, if you don't feel like you know what you are doing things, then you aren't showig up to class. If you spend the time in class, you will come out of here a VERY COMPETENT general dentist.

Thanks.

I believe some of the schools will send rejections to people on Dec. 1 who have not interviewed letting them know. If you've interviewed though, I don't think you'll get a rejection that day. Can't wait for the first! I agree with you guys and will feel privileged to get into any of the Texas schools.

good to hear that schools don't reject you on dec 1st if you had interview...
yea same here!!! i will be very happy to get into any of the texas schools, and i wish i could hear from them as soon as possible so i can finally relax ~~~~:)

Muchas gracias senor Navy DDS 2010. I'm glad to hear your feelings on the issue.

Last edited:
Here is some hope for all of you late applicants:

I finally heard from a school(San antonio) and I have an interview Monday Dec 8th. WOOHOO:thumbup:

1 week from today guys! Getting nervous. :scared:

Here is some hope for all of you late applicants:

I finally heard from a school(San antonio) and I have an interview Monday Dec 8th. WOOHOO:thumbup:

congart. and best of luck :thumbup:

finally. dec 8th interview utsa

tmdsas completed ~october 11

Still nothing from the texas schools..
TMDSAS app processed Sep 3rd
DAT completed Oct 24th

grrrr..
what's up yakuza?

www.zadefaraj.com

Last edited:
Do you think that Baylor and Houston will notify us of acceptance via email on Nov. 30th like last year? Or Dec. 1st? Because Nov. 30th is a Sunday this year, thats why I'm not sure. Also, for SA is the acceptance package mailed Dec.1 or is it sent to get here by Dec.1st?

Do you think that Baylor and Houston will notify us of acceptance via email on Nov. 30th like last year? Or Dec. 1st? Because Nov. 30th is a Sunday this year, thats why I'm not sure. Also, for SA is the acceptance package mailed Dec.1 or is it sent to get here by Dec.1st?

2 years ago...

San Antonio letter postmarked December 1st
Houston letter postmarked December 1st
Baylor email on December 1st, letter postmarked December 1st

No, given that November 30 is a Sunday, I think they will go out on Dec. 1 this year. I think they went out then last year because Dec. 1 fell on a weekend.

No, given that November 30 is a Sunday, I think they will go out on Dec. 1 this year. I think they went out then last year because Dec. 1 fell on a weekend.

i thought maybe they would set their email to automatically go out on Dec 1st. maybe maybe not...
i'm hearing some schools sending out the letters earlier...makes me even more more more nervous! haha i doubt any of tx schools will do that tho...sigh;;;;;;
:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

i just checked, and last year i got my acceptance email from Baylor on Friday November 30 at 9:01 am. i assume it would have been sent on Dec. 1st had it not been a Saturday.

good luck to all of you! it feels like just yesterday that i was in your shoes and now i've already developed an intense love/hate relationship with dental school. . .

Hey guys is it me or does it seems like UTDB has a very high acceptance rate vs interview rate

Hey guys is it me or does it seems like UTDB has a very high acceptance rate vs interview rate

its you... the all three texas schools rank near the bottom in interview/acceptances. its about a 3 to 1 ratio.

i meant the three schools in texas, houston accepts around 70% or more (the highest) of those who interviewed, on the other hand baylor or san antonio accepts around 50% of those who interviewed. According to predents

Last edited:
My guess would be that for whatever reason, Houston is not the top choice for many pre-dents. So Houston ultimately ends up accepting more people, whereas Baylor and San Antonio don't accept as many because they are able to fill their class with sending fewer acceptances out.

On the other hand, it could be that Houston interviews fewer people, so the interview to acceptance ratio would be much higher in that respect.

Also, predents is a very small fraction of the applicant pool, and so it is not reliable in that respect, because not everyone who applies, interviews, and gets accepted post or updates information on there.

i have a question for those who received acceptances AFTER dec 1st, how long after your interview date did you receive the acceptance letter (esp from UTDB)?

so I had my interview at UTDB on Nov 24th but Dr. Pierpont said none of us (14 or 15 interviewees on that date) would receive Dec 1st acceptance because they would not have enough time before Thanksgiving to look over all the apps and input the names into the system.. :oops:

thanks

i meant the three schools in texas, houston accepts around 70% or more (the highest) of those who interviewed, on the other hand baylor or san antonio accepts around 50% of those who interviewed. According to predents

Not according to doc toothaches post.... for every 3 they interview, the accept 1 (at houston and baylor) and then SA has the best chance with every 1.6 they interview, 1 is accepted...Look at the post.

Is anyone else a nervous wreck about tomorrow? I don't imagine I'm going to be able to get much sleep tonight which isn't good since I have a physiology exam tomorrow. :eek: Those statistics are interesting though.

Someone might have answered this already, but would we be expecting letters to get to us on the 2nd due to them being mailed out on the Dec. 1st as opposed to Nov.30th?

I think SA is the only one sending snail mail letters, aren't they? Baylor and Houston are doing emails tomorrow (as well as a letter maybe?).

Yeah, I'm anxious as well. I don't even feel like studying for my exam tomorrow, I would just rather pass the time doing something more interesting. If I go study, my mind will just drift back to thinking about tomorrow...

I think SA is the only one sending snail mail letters, aren't they? Baylor and Houston are doing emails tomorrow (as well as a letter maybe?).

Houston does usually send out an e-mail, at least for the first round selections.

I wonder if we can call for our status at SA....

i think sa posted the names of accepted ppl on their wall or something ... if i remember correctly from last year...

ahhhhhhhhh i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO NERVOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:scared::scared::scared::scared:

i really wish the bestest luck to all of us :luck::xf:

Their wall? Like on facebook? :D

Like in the building? Too bad I dont know anyone who goes there...lol... If anyone goes to check it out, let me know so you can check for me :)

Their wall? Like on facebook? :D

Like in the building? Too bad I dont know anyone who goes there...lol... If anyone goes to check it out, let me know so you can check for me :)

hahaha i wish they post an acceptance msg on my wall! ;)
yea i think somewhere inside of the building...i don't know if they would do it again this year though...

I am a DS2 at San Antonio. They posted a list of names (~120 I think) last year on the wall outside the admissions/financial aid office for the school. I don't know if they will do the same this year or not, but if they do and you don't want to wait, I can try and check it tomorrow afternoon and see if your name is on the list. PM me.

I am a DS2 at San Antonio. They posted a list of names (~120 I think) last year on the wall outside the admissions/financial aid office for the school. I don't know if they will do the same this year or not, but if they do and you don't want to wait, I can try and check it tomorrow afternoon and see if your name is on the list. PM me.

Lol, you may find you PM box completely full tomorrow.