University of Incarnate Word- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminhD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any upcoming class of 2012 students looking for roommates? or do most students live by themselves??

Members don't see this ad.

I hear there is another thread, but I cant seem to find it. So we are gonna make this one work.

As of right now, I think I am going to get my own place. but we can do some apartment hunting together. I will talk to a few friends later this week and find out what areas are best taking into account the city and the school location.

post your info, so people can know who you are and what you are looking for.

I'm from Arlington, tx around dfw area, what about you RXdoctor? and when are you planning on going apt. hunting? My friend from c/o 2011 said it's quite easy and you can move in on the day that you sign the papers and such, so I was thinking about doing it last minute, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am right here in Plano right now, I think I will take a quick trip there in about 2 weeks just to see some places. I think you are right about getting the place pretty easy, but since we are going to live there for a while, I just want to make sure the area is good too. this way I can compare a few places and it should less than a day. I dont plan on moving until August, I have to take summer classes and I have to give time for my pharmacy to find a replacement.
I am going to send you a pm , with more info.

do you work right now? I am with CVS. are you planning on working when school starts??

I am currently with CVS now also =) I'm not sure about working while in school, I wasn't planning on it...but if I did, maybe once a week or so? :)

You will probably want to stick to north, west and north east of campus in the close vicinity or in the area of Blanco Rd. where Wurzbach Pkwy ends off of a main street called Vista Del Norte. The medical center is pretty good and you can get to campus in about ten to fifteen minutes from there, which is the furthest away that I have listed. There are some areas that you want to avoid that are close to campus, but give me a yell and I'll tell you if they are nice or not. You kind of have to know how much you are wanting to pay a month for rent. For one person the water bill should be pretty cheap, around 35 bucks. Gas/elec should be around 50 bucks depending on if you are good about turning off the lights. Cable internet and extended basic cable together should be about 65 or so, it's through Time Warner. Work on a budget to see what you can afford so you don't have to take out personal loans just to make it or have to forgo eating lunch one or two days a week.

I am currently with CVS now also =) I'm not sure about working while in school, I wasn't planning on it...but if I did, maybe once a week or so? :)

The dean heavily encourages you not to work your first year at the least. The first semester is going to be hard enough b/c of the amount of material being thrown at you in a short time frame. The 80 or 90 bucks you get for working one day a week will probably hurt you more than it will help you. I'd say hold off working at least until the second semester unless you seriously need the money to make ends meet and eat.

Irish,

how far north on 281 is too far, I am finding some nice apartments up by bitters road. and what is the average rent for a 1 bedroom, in a newer complex?? doesnt have to be brand new, just not the one's from the 80's.

Irish,

how far north on 281 is too far, I am finding some nice apartments up by bitters road. and what is the average rent for a 1 bedroom, in a newer complex?? doesnt have to be brand new, just not the one's from the 80's.

From Bitters it will take you about ten to fifteen minutes as well, but it depends on what time you leave. 281 heading into town in the mornings can get really backed up around 8:30 to 9 because they are working on expanding the number of lanes and I don't know when they will be done. They are adding on and off ramps from 410 to 281 and should be done by August. There is also a large part of the city's population that lives out in the 281 north and 1604 area and work in town. A lot of the apartments off of West Ave south of Bitters and off of Lockhill-Selma are pretty nice.

So... about this calculus based Physics. Schools are requiring Calculus 2 to take cal based Physics I. WOW.................

So... about this calculus based Physics. Schools are requiring Calculus 2 to take cal based Physics I. WOW.................

It must be one more stumbling block to make it more difficult to get your pre-requisites for professional schools. I'd shop around and see who doesn't make you take cal 2. Why take a class that is not going to help you one bit in pharmacy school if you don't have to?

The community college here offers cal based physics and you don't have to take cal 2 to get into it. It's labeled mechanics and heat under PHYS 1570. You might try the community college down there if you haven't already. Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure Mechanics and Heat is counted as Cal based Physics? They offer that at the ccs here but I was not sure if that is the same. I'll call them right now and UIW to double check it I guess.

Im comin out from Florida next week to try and find a place to live. Irish you know of any townhomes close by that are worthwhile??

Hey guys..sorry about starting the thread for cop 2012 in the wrong spot. Oops! Got a little excited! Is there a way that I can save this thread in my settings?

By the way Congrats everyone!~

If anyone has any questions regarding living here in San Antonio feel free to ask - lived here my entire life.

I was thinking of doing the same thing..maybe working once a week. But everyone tells me that's insane..

If anyone has any questions regarding living here in San Antonio feel free to ask - lived here my entire life.

haha fine, same question to you then...know of any townhomes or houses for rent in the area? Im comin out next week and I need to find something quick, long story short I have to move out there within the next three weeks. Dont wanna do the apartment thing for four years, lookin to Max at $1000 a month rent...any guidance on areas to stay away from?

Irish,

You might want to try some apartments near the Alamo Heights area, which is near the school. It's right off of 281 so you don't have to deal with the traffic from the Bitters/Airport area.

haha fine, same question to you then...know of any townhomes or houses for rent in the area? Im comin out next week and I need to find something quick, long story short I have to move out there within the next three weeks. Dont wanna do the apartment thing for four years, lookin to Max at $1000 a month rent...any guidance on areas to stay away from?

Unfortunately, housing near the school might be around if not over your price range. Less than a mile away is the historic Monte Vista neighborhood. You may be able to find some houses right behind Trinity University. In fact, I do recall seeing some for lease signs. Tomorrow I'm dropping off my deposit so I drive around that area to see if there's anything. I'll check my newspaper tomorrow after my final to see if there are any houses for rent. There are some umm shall we say sketchy neighborhoods nearby (no offense to anyone).

I'll let you know tomorrow what I find.:D

Unfortunately, housing near the school might be around if not over your price range. Less than a mile away is the historic Monte Vista neighborhood. You may be able to find some houses right behind Trinity University. In fact, I do recall seeing some for lease signs. Tomorrow I'm dropping off my deposit so I drive around that area to see if there's anything. I'll check my newspaper tomorrow after my final to see if there are any houses for rent. There are some umm shall we say sketchy neighborhoods nearby (no offense to anyone).

I'll let you know tomorrow what I find.:D

Thanks! I appreciate it..looking forward to wandering around lookin for a place next week lol.

....also stoked about the six flags close by hahahaha

Pharm,
at the CC here the class is University Physics and no Cal 2 needed. I just took physics last semester, and the course even says "not for health majors, this class is for engineers". I have to take this class all over again, and the books here cost more than the class, but oh well, gotta do what I gotta do!

anyone got opinions on roommates?? I think I am going to get my own for now.
VitaminhD - is looking for one, pref - female. give her a shout if anyone is looking.

Pharm,
at the CC here the class is University Physics and no Cal 2 needed. I just took physics last semester, and the course even says "not for health majors, this class is for engineers". I have to take this class all over again, and the books here cost more than the class, but oh well, gotta do what I gotta do!

VitaminhD - is looking for one, pref - female. give her a shout if anyone is looking.

Rx let me know what books you need for the class..ill be out in TX next week if you want it ill sell it to ya cheap cheap. lol I just finished phys 2 w calc..just gotta take the final wed...

Are you sure Mechanics and Heat is counted as Cal based Physics? They offer that at the ccs here but I was not sure if that is the same. I'll call them right now and UIW to double check it I guess.

Yes, I called the physics department at SAC and they said it was cal based. You should call them to confirm.

Im comin out from Florida next week to try and find a place to live. Irish you know of any townhomes close by that are worthwhile??

Are you seeking to buy? And why townhomes? There are some in the Alamo Heights area, but there's also some nice apartments. It all depends on how much you're wanting to spend. The prices in the Alamo Heights and Olmos Park area can get really high and can be very reasonable. I'd get an apartment finder. I'm actually moving this summer and I need to go visit one. They can get you a discount on a lot of places and they will show you what you're looking for. They get their money from the place that you end up renting from, which is why they're free. Also, the place doesn't take that fee out of you because you are giving them more by renting from them.

I'm not sure how much they are, but Quarry Townhomes is close and they are nice.

Pharm,

Living with strangers has it's advantages and disadvantages. I would think more disadvantages because you have absolutely no idea who the person is. I think it would really depend on what type of person you are and what your pet peeves are. For instace, I can not stand wearing shoes in the house (yes i'm asian :D) and I had a roommate who completely disregarded my request and it drove me insane. But I do know some people who roomed with strangers at other pharmacy schools and did really well. It's kind of a tough call.

Are you seeking to buy? And why townhomes? There are some in the Alamo Heights area, but there's also some nice apartments. It all depends on how much you're wanting to spend. The prices in the Alamo Heights and Olmos Park area can get really high and can be very reasonable. I'd get an apartment finder. I'm actually moving this summer and I need to go visit one. They can get you a discount on a lot of places and they will show you what you're looking for. They get their money from the place that you end up renting from, which is why they're free. Also, the place doesn't take that fee out of you because you are giving them more by renting from them.

I'm not sure how much they are, but Quarry Townhomes is close and they are nice.

I've looked into quarry, however they're a little bit pricier than I'd like to go for a two bedroom...The reason I'm looking at a townhome is for one I definitely want a garage, and my fiancee and I have been cramped up in this little one bed apartment in boca paying $1200 a month (yeah, you read that right lol) and we want to get somethin a little bigger. Not looking to purchase just rent, and I'm kinda tired of the apartment complex politics..ie cant wash car, have to wake up at 5am just to change your oil before their little watchdogs are out running around on their golfcarts, the guy upstairs that runs marathons in his apartment while practicing his shot put at 130 in the morn lol...just lookin to spread out a little bit.

I've looked into quarry, however they're a little bit pricier than I'd like to go for a two bedroom...The reason I'm looking at a townhome is for one I definitely want a garage, and my fiancee and I have been cramped up in this little one bed apartment in boca paying $1200 a month (yeah, you read that right lol) and we want to get somethin a little bigger. Not looking to purchase just rent, and I'm kinda tired of the apartment complex politics..ie cant wash car, have to wake up at 5am just to change your oil before their little watchdogs are out running around on their golfcarts, the guy upstairs that runs marathons in his apartment while practicing his shot put at 130 in the morn lol...just lookin to spread out a little bit.

My parents' neighborhood has some houses for rent. They live right off of wetmore/thousand oaks. From my parents' house it takes 20 minutes (from wetmore you can jump onto 281S) with traffic. If you're interested I can see if I can find you the MLS number. (it's a middle class neighborhood with a decent golf course)

Some of the apartments around this area have attached garages and they are usually inhabited by a nicer class of people. Unfortunately, town homes are going to be a bit pricier than an apartment. I would definitely look into houses for rent in the Alamo Heights/Northwood area as well as south of Trinity University (it's across the street from the school if you don't remember) if you want something bigger and a garage. As for the changing of oil, I feel you there. But, there are some places close to campus that if you bring your own oil that they don't carry they will only charge you like ten bucks to change it. If you live close to campus like I do and you don't do a huge amount of driving other than to and from school, you won't put many miles on. From June to just last month I put on only 5K and that's with a few trips to Austin, going out, going downtown, etc. You won't have to worry too much, esp if you use one of the higher mileage oils.

My parents' neighborhood has some houses for rent. They live right off of wetmore/thousand oaks. From my parents' house it takes 20 minutes (from wetmore you can jump onto 281S) with traffic. If you're interested I can see if I can find you the MLS number. (it's a middle class neighborhood with a decent golf course)

I would appreciate that very much, thank you!! Feel like its gonna be a fast moving time there tryin to find a place to live in 3 days lol..

Some of the apartments around this area have attached garages and they are usually inhabited by a nicer class of people. Unfortunately, town homes are going to be a bit pricier than an apartment. I would definitely look into houses for rent in the Alamo Heights/Northwood area as well as south of Trinity University (it's across the street from the school if you don't remember) if you want something bigger and a garage. As for the changing of oil, I feel you there. But, there are some places close to campus that if you bring your own oil that they don't carry they will only charge you like ten bucks to change it. If you live close to campus like I do and you don't do a huge amount of driving other than to and from school, you won't put many miles on. From June to just last month I put on only 5K and that's with a few trips to Austin, going out, going downtown, etc. You won't have to worry too much, esp if you use one of the higher mileage oils.

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into that area when Im there next week. Just out of curiousity, is there a hospital anywhere close in relation to the school? My Fiancee just graduated nursing school so I have to find something thats sort of close to somewhere she can get a job as well. Hahaha with gas prices if I live close enough I may even ride a bike to school...the mustang only gets 9 miles to the gallon :eek: hahaha

torkey,
you are gonna have to get a second grad plus loan just for the gas bill of four years...lol.

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into that area when Im there next week. Just out of curiousity, is there a hospital anywhere close in relation to the school? My Fiancee just graduated nursing school so I have to find something thats sort of close to somewhere she can get a job as well. Hahaha with gas prices if I live close enough I may even ride a bike to school...the mustang only gets 9 miles to the gallon :eek: hahaha

Within about a fifteen to twenty minute drive there is the southwest medical center that has at least five hospitals, over by where 410 and 35 meet up on the north east side is Northeast Baptist. There's hospitals all over this city. She might want to try and get on with the VA hospital. It's a government job and you get amazing benefits there. My girlfriend is finishing up her BSN down on main campus and got hooked up with a job as a student nursing tech through the VA. They pay her while she goes to school like she's working, but she just goes to school. On her long breaks from school (spring break, summer break and fall break) she works on one of the floors and when she graduates, they pay her 10K for her tuition reimbursement and owes them 3 years. It's not a bad gig.

Within about a fifteen to twenty minute drive there is the southwest medical center that has at least five hospitals, over by where 410 and 35 meet up on the north east side is Northeast Baptist. There's hospitals all over this city. She might want to try and get on with the VA hospital. It's a government job and you get amazing benefits there. My girlfriend is finishing up her BSN down on main campus and got hooked up with a job as a student nursing tech through the VA. They pay her while she goes to school like she's working, but she just goes to school. On her long breaks from school (spring break, summer break and fall break) she works on one of the floors and when she graduates, they pay her 10K for her tuition reimbursement and owes them 3 years. It's not a bad gig.

I just showed her that stuff...unfortunately shes kinda against the government stuff...for whatever reason...lol the military thing is definitely something im going to look into while im there. Gonna take full advantage of the bases being close by lol..thanks again, you're a huge help man

torkey,
you are gonna have to get a second grad plus loan just for the gas bill of four years...lol.

actually, you're probalby going to have to get a grad plus loan unless you are married/live with someone that makes enough for the both of you to live off of. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans will really only cover the tuition and books.

No prob Torkey. I'm more than happy to help the next class out as much as I can. I can't wait to meet you guys when you get here. Everyone should think about pledging Kappa Psi in the spring. We should be saying a quick something during your orientation week about our fraternity. I'm the regent, or president, and it's a co-ed fraternity.

No prob Torkey. I'm more than happy to help the next class out as much as I can. I can't wait to meet you guys when you get here. Everyone should think about pledging Kappa Psi in the spring. We should be saying a quick something during your orientation week about our fraternity. I'm the regent, or president, and it's a co-ed fraternity.

haha Mary has already jumped on me about this lol...

You could always go and talk to the professor and ask for an override to get into the class.

ive been lookin for places to live all night..how far is too far to live form the campus?? found a few places but they're all like 15 miles away. The quarry townhomes are amazing but just a bit too expensive..is traffic really bad north of the school in the morn??

ive been lookin for places to live all night..how far is too far to live form the campus?? found a few places but they're all like 15 miles away. The quarry townhomes are amazing but just a bit too expensive..is traffic really bad north of the school in the morn??

Yeah it is from about 8 to 9. If you don't mind getting up real early...what am I saying. You guys will be starting pretty early in the fall, I think around 8 in the morning or maybe 8:30. Just for ease of travel in case you wake up late one morning, which has happened to just about everyone at least once, I would live pretty close to campus, definitely not outside loop 1604. The people drive real crazy out there and are more aggressive than they are closer into town.

Hey Torkey, out here that's low rent! I'm hoping that I'll be able to have my kids with me (I've got a custody fight to deal with in June :() so I'm looking at houses. I'll bet I'm going to be the oldest student in the class and the one who lives the farthest from campus. Housing there is so much cheaper than out here...I can't wait.

I'm interested - I probably won't be out there until the end of June at the earliest. Do you know anything about Castle Hills? I'm interested in it because the elementary school is supposed to be really good and it operates on a modified year-round schedule. My kids would have longer breaks to go and see their dad.

I'm interested - I probably won't be out there until the end of June at the earliest. Do you know anything about Castle Hills? I'm interested in it because the elementary school is supposed to be really good and it operates on a modified year-round schedule. My kids would have longer breaks to go and see their dad.

I don't know about the elementary schools, but castle hills is a nice area and it can be pricey in spots. It's pretty fast and easy to get to school.

Hey Torkey, out here that's low rent! I'm hoping that I'll be able to have my kids with me (I've got a custody fight to deal with in June :() so I'm looking at houses. I'll bet I'm going to be the oldest student in the class and the one who lives the farthest from campus. Housing there is so much cheaper than out here...I can't wait.

I've looked for houses too..not really seeing much worthwhile around campus...i think id rather shoot for a townhouse but i dunno I guess ill have to see when I get out there. Im goin out the beginning of next week but If i see anything I think may interest you or be what ur lookin for ill definitely let you know :)

Ok, I've got a new question now..anyone know of a good orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist close by?? Im having knee surgery on June 11th and I need to find somewhere to follow up..anyone know of anything?

I found some places that might be of interest. The following places are located in the Monte Vista neighborhood (located minutes away from school)

1. Upstairs Apt (208 E. Lullwood) 2 bedroom, 1 bath, dining room, 1000 sq. feet, comes with appliances. $895/month (this was really cute, had a lot of character) realtor is Leanna @ 632-6481
2. 2 BR Apt (E. RoseWood Ave) $1000/month (looks a little run down) 733-7705
3. Apt for lease (E. Rosewood Ave) I just saw the sign but looked fine. 736-7722

In my parents' neighborhood (Northern Hills) there's a house available for lease.
www.davidsonproperties.com It's the house on Fairway Oaks

I have pictures if anyone wants to see them just email me at [email protected]

Hope this helps!

FYI, the homes in the Monte Vista are really old but they have a lot of charm. If you interested in a more modern traditional setting then perhaps checking the website
www.davidsonproperites.com might be helpful. Gosh I should go in real estate. lol.