What do I need to do for acceptance/scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legato

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Erased

Members don't see this ad.

(not my desire at all - don't really want or care about having fun).

what?

The best way to get a scholarship is to apply to schools that are generous with them, of which there are very few. Here are the ones I know, you obviously have the stats to be competitive for them, but i dunno how important EC's are for them.

Washington University - some full tuition and half-tuition scholarships, maybe around 10?
Vanderbilt University - decent number of students get some merit-based money
Emory University - a handful (maybe 5) of full-tuition scholarships, no other merit money
Case Western - 15-20 scholarships ranging from $20,000 to full-tuition
UPitt - from what I hear, decent amount of people get merit based money from them
UChicago - very generous with merit based money compared to most other schools
UMich - dunno anything about how much, but they have at least some merit-based scholarships

And don't forget the schools that are already cheap to begin with, namely:
All your state schools
Mayo Clinic
Baylor

Members don't see this ad :)

With that GPA and MCAT score, was there really any doubt? :p

But seriously, you're worried about getting into med school with a 3.9 GPA and a 40 on your MCAT?

With that GPA and MCAT score, was there really any doubt? :p

But seriously, you're worried about getting into med school with a 3.9 GPA and a 40 on your MCAT?
lol...only after looking at MDApps profiles

what?

The best way to get a scholarship is to apply to schools that are generous with them, of which there are very few. Here are the ones I know, you obviously have the stats to be competitive for them, but i dunno how important EC's are for them.

Washington University - some full tuition and half-tuition scholarships, maybe around 10?
Vanderbilt University - decent number of students get some merit-based money
Emory University - a handful (maybe 5) of full-tuition scholarships, no other merit money
Case Western - 15-20 scholarships ranging from $20,000 to full-tuition
UPitt - from what I hear, decent amount of people get merit based money from them
UChicago - very generous with merit based money compared to most other schools
UMich - dunno anything about how much, but they have at least some merit-based scholarships

And don't forget the schools that are already cheap to begin with, namely:
All your state schools
Mayo Clinic
Baylor
Thanks a lot for this list. I'm pretty clueless about med schools even though I am applying soon.

lol...only after looking at MDApps profiles

Man, look at the average matriculant stats for ANY school, take your pick, and you are far, far above them. Your ECs are admittedly sub-par, but I'm pretty sure you'll get an interview anywhere you apply, and if you can communicate your interest effectively there, you should have no problem being accepted. Scholarships are another matter though, since I believe they are typically very interested in what you've done with your time other than study.

Perhaps I should explain before there are other "ouches". Of course I want to have fun (wrote incorrectly in first message), but I've had enough. I just want to do some work and be happy with that.

I think one important thing to remember for scholarships is that a high MCAT and high GPA will not necessarily make you stand out from the crowd. At some point, you become just another 3.9/40 to be considered with the 20-30 other kids in your accepted class with the same stats. I would recommend beefing up those ECs with something original but still related to your goal of wanting to become a healthcare provider. I'm no adcom though so it's just my 2 cents.

Of course, of course. What can I do in this short time though?

I think the big thing missing in your application is hospital/clinical volunteering. You have shadowing, but clinical experience is a virtual requirement in today's application process.

Get a position volunteering at a hospital once a week (only around 4-8 hours/week) and a lab assistant or lab tech position would probably benefit your application the most.

I'm going to second carwreck's viewpoint that high stats are nice, but not enough for a scholarship. I have no doubt that my numbers helped me to secure my acceptances, but I truly believe that my biggest scholarship resulted from some of the intangibles of my application. Moreover, the two schools where I felt like I had the best chance at getting some money flat out burned me (Emory and WashU). So in closing, what's more important than your numbers (which are nice--congrats) is being the kind of person that an Adcomm WANTS to have at their medical school--whether it's because you're published one thousand times over or just because you're a nice, humble person whose dedication to medicine and service becomes obvious after a brief conversation. :)