Bumping up a grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuteElectron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a B+ for biochem and I visited prof's office to beg him to bump me up to an A-.
He said every person who visited his office after the course was over asked for the exact same thing and there's nothing he can do to bump up a grade.
But I didn't give up.
I kept begging for it two more times in his office, but he was being so stubborn.
So I began crying and he said there's nothing to be ashamed of for B+. It is a good grade for a hard course like biochem.
I kept quiet, but to myself, I said, "You're kidding B+ is a good grade. And I'm not ashamed of it, I'm just mad!"
The prof then asked about my future plan, so I said I want to go to med school, sniffing.
Then he said there are more things to med school application than just a grade and if all my other grades are good, I'm okay (Duh). And he went on to tell me all the other obvious things I already know about med school application while I cry so hard.

Conclusion: The visit to his office was a waste of my time. In the future never beg your prof for a grade bump because they will never do it for you, except in very rare cases (eg. you were soooooooooooo close with the prof that you could even sleep with him)

:(

Members don't see this ad.

I got a B+ for biochem and I visited prof's office to beg him to bump me up to an A-.
He said every person who visited his office after the course was over asked for the exact same thing and there's nothing he can do to bump up a grade.
But I didn't give up.
I kept begging for it two more times in his office, but he was being so stubborn.
So I began crying and he said there's nothing to be ashamed of for B+. It is a good grade for a hard course like biochem.
I kept quiet, but to myself, I said, "You're kidding B+ is a good grade. And I'm not ashamed of it, I'm just mad!"
The prof then asked about my future plan, so I said I want to go to med school, sniffing.
Then he said there are more things to med school application than just a grade and if all my other grades are good, I'm okay. And he went on to tell me all the other obvious things I already know about med school application while I cry so hard.

Conclusion: The visit to his office was a waste of my time. In the future never beg your prof for a grade bump because they will never do it for you, except in very rare cases (eg. you were soooooooooooo close with the prof that you could even sleep with him)

Ummm....thanks for the advice??

Lol, I seriously hope this is a troll. I can only believe it is. Talk about your future (current) gunners.

I think going to a prof to beg for a higher grade is extremely pathetic 99% of the time. Suck it up and do better next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, I seriously hope this is a troll. I can only believe it is. Talk about your future (current) gunners.

I think going to a prof to beg for a higher grade is extremely pathetic 99% of the time. Suck it up and do better next time.

So do you think there are actually people like this in our midst? Scary thought.

Lol, of course we are. Med school doesn't MAKE gunners, it just brings out the worst in them. :love:

But I didn't give up.
Then he said there are more things to med school application than just a grade and if all my other grades are good, I'm okay (Duh). And he went on to tell me all the other obvious things I already know about med school application while I cry so hard.

you are pathetic

I got my calculus II grade back and it was an A. I was pretty happy, I had worked hard during semester and had visited the prof several times in office hours and he liked me. I emailed him asking out of curiosity what my exam mark was. He replied and told me what my exam mark was and what my overall mark was, and then nonchalantly added that as it was 2% below an A he had bumped me up and that he hoped it showed on my transcript as an A.

Moral of the Story: Real men don't need to ask for a bump.

I got my calculus II grade back and it was an A. I was pretty happy, I had worked hard during semester and had visited the prof several times in office hours and he liked me. I emailed him asking out of curiosity what my exam mark was. He replied and told me what my exam mark was and what my overall mark was, and then nonchalantly added that as it was 2% below an A he had bumped me up and that he hoped it showed on my transcript as an A.

Mines bigger than yours

But I didn't give up.

Contrary to popular pre-med belief, not everyone competing for medical school will sacrifice their dignity for an increase of .33 GPA in one course.

You mean this post wasn't a joke?

I keed, I keed. I knew this couldn't be true...

But I didn't give up.

wow

are you a guy or a girl, just curious

Members don't see this ad :)

hm... sexual harrasment?

it's an electron!

You don't want to hang out with the OP, he/she is kind of negative :(

Nice! That's the kind of corny joke I can get behind.

it's an electron!

You don't want to hang out with the OP, he/she is kind of negative :(

I hear ya... so... the fact of me asking what the electron's gender is... changes it?

my

god

whoa folks, back that thang up... I already have 8 valence electrons

8 valence means jack if I can find you a someone easy with a good leaving group. Just get into your favorite position, the Sn2, for that nice and easy back side attack. :D

let's just hope there's not too much bulky junk that gets in the way, *nudge nudge wink wink*

I hope I won't get suspend for posting this stuff... I mean i'm only talking about chemistry... yes... the chemistry of love

whoa folks, back that thang up... I already have 8 valence electrons
Ever considered donating a couple of 'em? It's not hard; it's pretty basic, really, and I'm sure you'll feel more positive once you do it.

Ever considered donating a couple of 'em? It's not hard; it's pretty basic, really, and I'm sure you'll feel more positive once you do it.

Dear god.

8 valence means jack if I can find you a someone easy with a good leaving group. Just get into your favorite position, the Sn2, for that nice and easy back side attack. :D

let's just hope there's not too much bulky junk that gets in the way, *nudge nudge wink wink*

I hope I won't get suspend for posting this stuff... I mean i'm only talking about chemistry... yes... the chemistry of love
banner.jpg

Winner! (P.S. - on CC as well?)

Hey...it works sometimes. Once I took a biochem test and there was one question I clearly had completely correct, but he gave me 1/2 credit (it was an 8 point question or something, and I don't really remember why I was right). Immediately after class, I went to ask him about it, even though usually I let little professors mistakes slide, because this time he was clearly wrong. There was this girl in front of me who had the same problem. She argued with the professor for like 10 minutes about it, maybe had some tears, and the male professor says "fine, I'll give you full credit." I go up there right afterwards, and he says no to me. I accepted it and walked away, but wtf? Tears and femaleness seem to work, at least against some male professors.

While you were crying in your Biochem professor's office I was asking my analytical chem professor for a "bump" from an A- to an "A". I conducted myself in an extremely professional manner, explained the circumstance as to why the A- would not "cut it" for my medical school application and asked for an opportunity to earn the extra 0.3 point towards my course average to put me in the "A" range since I was ridiculously close to the cut-off. She gave me a few calculation problems to perform on the spot, I did them correctly and she gave me the bump.

lol...I'm saving this for future use

But I didn't give up.

aaaaaaaaaaahaHAhaHAHahAHAAAAAAAAAHaHAahAHhaaHahAHH HHHHAaAHahAHahAAAAAAahAHahahhhAaaaaHAhahAHahHAhaha aaahAHahAHhaHAHahAHhaHAHAAAAAAAAAahAHahAHhaHAhaHAa aaaAAHHAHhaHAHahAhahAHAAAahahahahahahahahAhahahHAh ahAHhaAHahHAhahAHahAAAAhahahHAHahHAHahAHahAHhahahh hhaaaaAHAHahhahahahahahahahahHahaHhAHahHAhahahahah ahahahAHHAAAAAAAAAHAHahHAhahAHhahAHAHHHHAAAAaHAHAH ahHAhahAHa

True in my case as well. I needed a 120 out of 140 on my final for an A-. I received a few points below a 120. Yet, my prof knew that I tried very hard and hooked it up. :cool: Ballllinnnnn

True in my case as well. I needed a 120 out of 140 on my final for an A-. I received a few points below a 120. Yet, my prof knew that I tried very hard and hooked it up.
I envy you.....

But I didn't give up.

How pathetic...:rolleyes:

My advice is to understand that we cannot always get what we want. I bet you will do better in the next challenging science class that you take. Don't worry about this course as there is no use in crying over spilled milk. What matters is how you bounce back from this. If you can bounce back, you can say that you have resilience. This trait is vital for medicine in that the question is not whether we will fail because we will at times, but the question is how we will respond to failure. Well, good luck and go get the next one. :luck:

Dude, at least the OP's prof was nice to him/her. I once asked a prof for help in course on how to do better (notice, not asking for a grade bump) and he told me "This is why the world hates pre-meds. There is nothing wrong with a B+. Get out of my office."

Maybe he got that idea from people who come into his office, beg for a higher grade they didn't earn, and then cry. But it could be something else, I'm sure.

Hey...it works sometimes. Once I took a biochem test and there was one question I clearly had completely correct, but he gave me 1/2 credit (it was an 8 point question or something, and I don't really remember why I was right). Immediately after class, I went to ask him about it, even though usually I let little professors mistakes slide, because this time he was clearly wrong. There was this girl in front of me who had the same problem. She argued with the professor for like 10 minutes about it, maybe had some tears, and the male professor says "fine, I'll give you full credit." I go up there right afterwards, and he says no to me. I accepted it and walked away, but wtf? Tears and femaleness seem to work, at least against some male professors.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, its just pathetic. And it ruins it for people with legitimate complains like yours.

While you were crying in your Biochem professor's office I was asking my analytical chem professor for a "bump" from an A- to an "A". I conducted myself in an extremely professional manner, explained the circumstance as to why the A- would not "cut it" for my medical school application and asked for an opportunity to earn the extra 0.3 point towards my course average to put me in the "A" range since I was ridiculously close to the cut-off. She gave me a few calculation problems to perform on the spot, I did them correctly and she gave me the bump.

I can understand politely asking your professor "Is there anything I can do to bump my grade up?" Whether or not a grade should "cut it" should be absolutely no concern of the professor's though. You're given a syllabus at the beginning of the quarter/semester so that you're aware of what it takes to "cut it."

But I didn't give up.

This really is one for the archives....:laugh:

lol.. maybe I should cry and start to practice how to beg grade from high school.:D

But I didn't give up.

I've never understood the whole begging for grades mentality. I mean I don't get all A's since high school, far from it, but when I don't get the grade I want I don't go in and whine about it. (obviously that is different than noticing a legitimate mistake in grading) The same thing confuses me about the people that try to argue more points on every single test. What makes them think that they are so special that the professor always seems to "unfairly" grade them down?

But I didn't give up.

seems like a trollish post imo
kinda seems fabricated to send a message to those who do beg for points from profs.

lucky you. i'm sorry, but i don't think you should have gotten the bump up. it isnt fair to those people who get stuck with professors that don't bump up grades... but life isn't fair, w/e.

just please don't make it seem as though the way you justified asking for a bump up was dignified [telling your prof that an A- will not cut it for (or will keep you out of) med school is a lie and you know it ;)]

Dude, at least the OP's prof was nice to him/her. I once asked a prof for help in course on how to do better (notice, not asking for a grade bump) and he told me "This is why the world hates pre-meds. There is nothing wrong with a B+. Get out of my office."

Maybe he got that idea from people who come into his office, beg for a higher grade they didn't earn, and then cry. But it could be something else, I'm sure.

wtf!!! did this really happen?

CuteElectron.... gotta be a joke right?

Anyways best bump from B+ to A. Prof forgot to add in one of the midterm scores.

I preceptored this past year for my genetics professor, and he often told me that multiple students would come to his office at the end of the semester (and even the beginning of the next semester) to ask for a grade bump. Seriously, doesn't anyone understand "you reap what you sow?"

I preceptored this past year for my genetics professor, and he often told me that multiple students would come to his office at the end of the semester (and even the beginning of the next semester) to ask for a grade bump. Seriously, doesn't anyone understand "you reap what you sow?"

I know for real. If I didn't get the grade I wanted, it's because I didn't do the work. I never asked for a bump.

I know for real. If I didn't get the grade I wanted, it's because I didn't do the work. I never asked for a bump.

So true. Last time I checked, college courses give you a syllabus at the beginning of the semester that tells you exactly how you will be graded. If you got a B, it's because you earned one. Work harder next time.

But I didn't give up.

In the event that this is a serious post and not trolling, I can only compare that conclusion to the following: "I tried the warming KY jelly. I really wanted it to be amazing. It didn't do anything for me; therefore, you should never use it."

Can we do both? I will say that I have never begged and groveled on my little premedical knee for a grade, but I damn sure have voiced my concerns and asked if anything could be done for my favor, whatever that may have been, if that was necessary. Whether because my profs probably knew me as one who didn't dick around academics-wise or because they're just damn understanding, it worked reasonably well for me more often than not. I just think there's a difference between begging and telling a professor that you're concerned and the reasoning behind that concern.

Of course, if you do what you can reasonably do without coming across as the world's biggest gunner or just a big huge jackoff, and you still don't get anywhere, then hey, better luck next time. My C in calculus I and B in a US History course in my second semester, followed by a rather nice set of grades there on out, kind of show that.

How do people even know how close they were to an A? In only around 5 or 6 of the courses I took in college did I even know what percentage I ended up with and what percentage was required to get a certain grade. Most of my classes were curved but the teachers were always very vague ("the class will be curved to around a B or B-). If you tried to ask them during the semester about grades, they would just say that the curve cannot be determined until the end of finals when they look at everyone's overall grade. I found out my grades on the report card but never knew the breakdown. I could basically estimate my grade within 1/3 of a grade beforehand but would never know how close I was to the next higher grade.